What Was The Last Farang Meal You Made?

klubex99

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spaghetti bolognese....with a lot chili (you are too long in Thailand if you put chili into everything).

Wife is half/half about it but finds differences in Italien noodle brands and learned to avoid any US noodles.

but regularly I make bread. Some bread is liked by my wife some not (she likes dark)

Pizza (wife does not like it, but I admit it is not easy to like my pizza)

Wiener Schnitzel....

Greek salat

I don't believe you; your pizza must make her toes curl if she married you :-)

Shepherds Pie, I substitute mashed cauliflour for mashed potato because I'm diabetic (it looks and tastes almost the same) - actually I substitute ground pork for ground lamb as well so I guess we can call this the Shepherds Substitute Pie.

• Like 1

Shepherds Pie, I substitute mashed cauliflour for mashed potato because I'm diabetic (it looks and tastes almost the same) - actually I substitute ground pork for ground lamb as well so I guess we can call this the Shepherds Substitute Pie.

nice. i like the versatility of cauliflower as well. im diabetic too and had my own share of experience of riced cauliflower as rice and mashed cauliflower as mashed potatoes

Well, this is Thailand....so a fake Shepherd's Pie is perfectly acceptable. smile.png

• Like 1

I recently taught my local 'chef' how to make real batter, which is no great mystery, the challenge now is to find some good fish to stick inside it.

Until then, Deep Fried Mars Bars it is.

Frozen Pangasus loins from Makro about 80 (ish) baht a kilo, about 10 in a pack. Don't get the fillets, the fillet meat is too mushy, but the loins are a lot firmer and meatier.

They are about 9 inch by 1.5 inch and cut into 3 per loin are perfect for fish fingers. That's around 30 decent quality fish fingers for 80 baht (ish).. You can't beat that.

Or batter up about 3 whole loins and you got your decent battered fish.

Hope that helps.

Lovely tasting fish. We buy them regularly.

I recently taught my local 'chef' how to make real batter, which is no great mystery, the challenge now is to find some good fish to stick inside it.

Frozen Pangasus loins from Makro about 80 (ish) baht a kilo, about 10 in a pack. Don't get the fillets, the fillet meat is too mushy, but the loins are a lot firmer and meatier.

They are about 9 inch by 1.5 inch and cut into 3 per loin are perfect for fish fingers. That's around 30 decent quality fish fingers for 80 baht (ish).. You can't beat that.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, haven't seen those yet, I'll take a better look next time I go.

I make my own bread, rolls, biscuits, cakes, ham, bacon, pate, shepherds pies and as I am writing this I have a 2 kg piece of pork in the oven for roast pork lunch with roast potatoes, onions and garlic.

What I don't eat will be sliced up and frozen for meals later.

• Like 2

I've licked my lips twice and swallowed once after reading all those suggestions

... and I'm still in Australia!

Salivating ... licklips.gif

And home made is often better than restaurant because:

1) you don't worry if the cheese is 10 Baht or 50 Baht. Or the oil for fry my Schnitzel are pork fat, not some cheapo palm oil. And when it gets old I don't filter it and use it again till the pork tastes like the fish I made a week ago.

2) you make it the way you like it not the way the mainstream likes it. My pizza is more like a medium dark bread. 90% would prefer a "normal" pizza. But for the 10 % it is something they can get only at home.....

Spaghetti bolognese....with a lot chili (you are too long in Thailand if you put chili into everything).

Wife is half/half about it but finds differences in Italien noodle brands and learned to avoid any US noodles.

but regularly I make bread. Some bread is liked by my wife some not (she likes dark)

Pizza (wife does not like it, but I admit it is not easy to like my pizza)

Wiener Schnitzel....

Greek salat

I don't believe you; your pizza must make her toes curl if she married you :-)

Well my pizza is very modified, with whole wheat powder and a little rye (I think it makes it less dry) and I let it go 2-3 cm high. And I put a lot cheddar on it. So it is more a bread with ham, salami and cheese than an Italian Pizza. As well I start with the red wine when I start with the Pizza so it get a bit random on everything.

But she loved some of the dark bread I made.

She even loved some of the more main stream sour dough rye bread I made until the home-maid killed my starter culture.

It was well adjusted to Thailand and to stay long time in fridge and get fully active again----> dead

(I still have some German starter culture, dried and deep frozen, so they are hard to wake up. If someome want I can share small pieces of it, if someone needs it).

Hope that helps.

Why bother to batter, hey that rhymes smile.png , if you can buy them battered as well for a little more.

By the way, a few weeks ago I bought at Makro those frozen Pangasus ( they called it Dory) sliced in size as fish fingers, vacuum packed and very white meat, but since can't find them anymoresad.png

i have cooked for my wife since i met her , i was a 3rd year apprentice chef in my younger days , some of the forum members have came around for dinner...love cooking .had tuna config and zucchini stuff with bacon and onion with baby broccoli

Edited by kevvy

Sort of hard to pinpoint the last meal.

We eat almost exclusively at home, home cooked meals, all European styles.

Cooking is my hobby. She has learned my best loved recipes and now is cooking herself. Very good at it too.

Funny part is - she actually prefers European food to Thai.

Today's food:

Breakfast - Cottage cheese (home made) with sour dough bread, hot croissant, orange marmalade, coffee.

Lunch - Pizza Bolognese ( sauce, onions, capsicum, tomatoes, olives, cheese, pork ), beer, fruits.

Dinner - Veal sausages with mustard, sauerkraut and dill cucumbers (homemade), mashed potatoes, beer.

Cheers coffee1.gif

• Like 1