What Was The Last Farang Meal You Made?

klubex99

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sort of hard to pinpoint the last meal.

We eat almost exclusively at home, home cooked meals, all European styles.

Cooking is my hobby. She has learned my best loved recipes and now is cooking herself. Very good at it too.

Funny part is - she actually prefers European food to Thai.

Today's food:

Breakfast - Cottage cheese (home made) with sour dough bread, hot croissant, orange marmalade, coffee.

Lunch - Pizza Bolognese ( sauce, onions, capsicum, tomatoes, olives, cheese, pork ), beer, fruits.

Dinner - Veal sausages with mustard, sauerkraut and dill cucumbers (homemade), mashed potatoes, beer.

Cheers coffee1.gif

I notice your breakfast didn't include beer, or was that a typo? biggrin.png

Believe it or not, but I am not a drinker. One stubby is my limit. And it only comes with the type of food calling for a drink.

German sausage+sauerkraut+dill cucs just calls for beer.

Pizza actually calls for red, but since I am not a drinker, I replace it with beer.

I do keep alcohol - wines, vodka, rum, liquors - only for visiting friends. Never touch them myself. You are free not to believe me. tongue.png

Sort of hard to pinpoint the last meal.

We eat almost exclusively at home, home cooked meals, all European styles.

Cooking is my hobby. She has learned my best loved recipes and now is cooking herself. Very good at it too.

Funny part is - she actually prefers European food to Thai.

Today's food:

Breakfast - Cottage cheese (home made) with sour dough bread, hot croissant, orange marmalade, coffee.

Lunch - Pizza Bolognese ( sauce, onions, capsicum, tomatoes, olives, cheese, pork ), beer, fruits.

Dinner - Veal sausages with mustard, sauerkraut and dill cucumbers (homemade), mashed potatoes, beer.

Cheers coffee1.gif

I notice your breakfast didn't include beer, or was that a typo? biggrin.png

Believe it or not, but I am not a drinker. One stubby is my limit. And it only comes with the type of food calling for a drink.

German sausage+sauerkraut+dill cucs just calls for beer.

Pizza actually calls for red, but since I am not a drinker, I replace it with beer.

I do keep alcohol - wines, vodka, rum, liquors - only for visiting friends. Never touch them myself. You are free not to believe me. tongue.png

How about, I come to check out that last comment of you, so we can remove all doubts

Liver & onions with mashed buttered potatoes and sliced carrots drowned in thick bisto onion gravy.

That's my inspiration for tonight's dinner. Have not yet cooked that one here in LOS, Just need the liver. Also the sort of thing I can just as easily make 3 kilo of and freeze in portions.

Might post a photo. wai2.gif

Pork Chops, very slowly cooked to dark brown, and with lots of onions and garlic, which have slowly cooked down and mind-melded with the other meat flavors and some soy sauce, but not too much.

I am sorrowful that I cannot yet cook this here, I lack a gas stove, a wife, and the meat.

But I like reading about you doing it.

Also, exactly like you, I far prefer cooking for myself, unless it is eating Thai food at a nearby restaurant.

Then you can make it the way you want it, and I usually have no complaints.

Thai Food, now, is king around my household of one.

And that seems to be the way I like it,

Or I might put in a beautiful kitchen, as you have done.

One with a commercial stove, and lots of pots hanging from the ceiling,

And lots of meat hanging in the meat locker.

That is, if my true dreams would come true.

Liked your posted topic very much.

Mine never are quite as good.

• Like 2

mushy peas on toast 4 hours ago

I think that falls into the same category as my fish finger sarnies. I used to love brown sauce (Hammond's Chop Sauce) on toast as a kid.

I make my own bacon, hams and gammons, I have made my own pease pudding here, and I will next attempt to make my own stottie cakes.

Ham and pease pudding stotties. Maybe some members can fathom out where I was raised by that snack.

• Like 2

I made the greatest if not healthiest sandwich on the planet....

which is a Reuben sandwich.

It boggles my mind that these are not more popular around the world.

Are you in LOS? Where do you get corned beef like that? Can it be made from corning Thai beef?

I hadn't heard of a Reuben sandwich before. Looks delicious, I don't know if I agree with healthiest on the planet...lol

I tubed it.

Edited by klubex99

I've licked my lips twice and swallowed once after reading all those suggestions

... and I'm still in Australia!

Salivating ... licklips.gif

And home made is often better than restaurant because:

1) you don't worry if the cheese is 10 Baht or 50 Baht. Or the oil for fry my Schnitzel are pork fat, not some cheapo palm oil. And when it gets old I don't filter it and use it again till the pork tastes like the fish I made a week ago.

2) you make it the way you like it not the way the mainstream likes it. My pizza is more like a medium dark bread. 90% would prefer a "normal" pizza. But for the 10 % it is something they can get only at home.....

How about some more pics then. Describing how to prepare food is great as well!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/615511-food-photography/

Always hungry for more!

Edited by Dancealot

For many years now I have been trying to replicate the grilled reuben served at the Buhl Bar in Detroit around 1980, the damn thing was a masterpiece of culinary perfection yet so simple also. Regrettably I can't get close but it's much fun trying, I'm with you, I don't understand why they are not more popular, probably because really good ones are hard to make.

Sheppards' pie again here on this food thread..I have to try itw00t.gif .. Hmmmmm

We hate to be pedantic at this time of the morning but it's shepherds pie (as in herding sheep). Also, try adding a tablespoon of Brown mustard to the ground meat whilst it's cooking, gives ita wiondeful taste.

Are you in LOS? Where do you get corned beef like that? Can it be made from corning Thai beef?

I hadn't heard of a Reuben sandwich before. Looks delicious, I don't know if I agree with healthiest on the planet...lol

I tubed it.

It looks good but the bread doesn't seem right, I like to use a dark German rye because it's firmer. Also, and I think this is my big failing, I can't get the cheese right, I've tried, gruyere, swiss, ementhal but it still seems wrong, any pointers please?

I tubed it.

I said it isn't the healthiest sandwich in the world. I use pastrami to make Reubens. I am currently in the UK and not LOS. Some western places in LOS sell reubens but they can be a bit pricey. Spuds'n'suds or something like that in Pattaya has them but they aren't cheap or the best.

I hate to admit it, but the last meal I made was a hamburger using about a quarter kilo of Canadian beef, sharp chedder cheese and lettuce right out of my garden. I ate it between 2 slices of toasted multigrain bread and a whole sweet red pepper also out of my garden.. I washed it down with a locally made Caberne wine.

Summing up 4 pages of good mood and quality wholesome food recommendations I think I have an idea.

French or rather Quebec TV often shows this program: - A bunch of enthusiastic food lovers form a sort of a club.

They get together about once a month every time at a different member's place. Each brings a plate and a drink.

Nobody is at a loss. Everybody is sampling various dishes getting 'the best of the best'. Plus companionship.

Not sure this idea will work here for technical reasons. But want to hear your opinion. Regards. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

not really a complete meal but very tasty

a whole smoked mackerel yesterday evening still warm from the smoke oven

and just this morning 3 eggs on toast with canadian bacon

with a mug of douwe coffee

• Like 1

Summing up 4 pages of good mood and quality wholesome food recommendations I think I have an idea.

French or rather Quebec TV often shows this program: - A bunch of enthusiastic food lovers form a sort of a club.

They get together about once a month every time at a different member's place. Each brings a plate and a drink.

Nobody is at a loss. Everybody is sampling various dishes getting 'the best of the best'. Plus companionship.

Not sure this idea will work here for technical reasons. But want to hear your opinion. Regards. coffee1.gif

wonderfull idea , any of the posters around Mukdahan ??

I tubed it.

I said it isn't the healthiest sandwich in the world. I use pastrami to make Reubens. I am currently in the UK and not LOS. Some western places in LOS sell reubens but they can be a bit pricey. Spuds'n'suds or something like that in Pattaya has them but they aren't cheap or the best.

Ah, that's not a Reuben. It's a Rachel. I like both of them, though.

The last Falang meal I made was

Braised beef steak , with onions and carrots , Baked potatoes and Calabrese Broccoli .

I do most of the cooking in our house and my wife does like my cooking , baked potatoes especially .

I cook Italian Pasta Calabrese with butterfly pasta , Spicy Tuna pasta and lasagna .

Sometimes steak and kidney pie , making a good pastry in this climate is difficult .

I prepare ingredients for my wife to make Thai dishes , but my wife often has Isaan binges .

What was the last farang meal you cooked for yourself? - Moroccan meatballs in my Targine

What is your fave comfort food from your home country that you make here. Battered fish goujons with minted mushy peas

How does the wife/gf react to your western culinary creations? My Thai wife always tries the food I cook, but usually only eats a little