What Was The Last Farang Meal You Made?

klubex99

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to admit it, but the last meal I made was a hamburger using about a quarter kilo of Canadian beef, sharp chedder cheese and lettuce right out of my garden. I ate it between 2 slices of toasted multigrain bread and a whole sweet red pepper also out of my garden.. I washed it down with a locally made Caberne wine.

Rene where did you find Canadian beef ? I don't like US beef and the grass fed Australian is nice but it's a small fortune.

I just bought a new oven. The kind that looks like a microwave. My first creation was stuffed pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon. I cooked it on the rotisserie with roast potatoes in the roasting pan below. It turned out great.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

@h90

I love the "German style pizza" with rye and whole wheat. It really is a great alternative.

I call it Austrian-Thai-Pizza

Thai because I add chilli under the ham.

For someone who is concerned about fat: the "bread" part has 1 tea-spoon for 1.5 kg dough. And the olive oil to keep it separate from the oven.

So it is relative low fat, just the cheese. Never made it with the purpose of low fat, but actually it seems to be pretty healthy. Only with the rye inside you should keep distance to other people for a while as it produces a lot gas.....

Had a party (25) - Glazed ham with cloves skewered to create flavor channels - topped with Maraschino cherries circled with pineapple slices & chinese wet smoked over mequite, cherry, & applewood....wife make chicken pops, shrimp pops & spicy chicken wings (smoked along with the ham) + her macaroni and cheese recipe - then finished with a lime mango jello dessert - a few cases of beer & 2 bottle of Bacardi & dancing with karaoke later......everyone left happy.....

She had the place cleaned and neat as a pin about and hour after they left.....

Woke up & had a western breakfast of bacon & eggs with toast......good couple of days - I hid the scale......

Edited by pgrahmm

Last meal was pizza, although getting good cheese is not easy.

Thai family love the bread I make although they focus on the crust.

....It helps having a wood fired pizza oven in the garden whistling.gif

I've only been here for 3 months, so far. I've had 4 Farrang meals. 2 cooked by me, 1 hotel meal and 1 cooked by a friend. The hotel meal was an English breakfast, the worst I've ever had. The first Farrang meal I cooked was steak, (from Tesco Lotus) and chips. If was the worst steak I've ever had and I class myself as a very good cook. Chips were fantastic. The second I made was English breakfast of fried eggs, bacon, sausages, fried bread and beans. Fantastic. The 4the meal was cooked by a Farrang friend here. Cheese burger and fries, with all the burger salad trimmings. That was a good meal also. I'm planning a spag bol for my next go. Gonna use Wagyu minced beef, so should've good.

The Last Western Meal I made was Breakfast, always almost start every day with Coffee, Croissant & fruit (Fry-up most Saturdays) while watching the news. I cook a Sunday roast at least once a month, the Wife is in charge of our Thai meals, which is almost every other meal we have, bless her she does a wonderful Green Curry & knows how to order a Som Tam & Grilled Chicken with sticky rice from the hawker stall outside the apartment like no one else I know but she hasn't a clue when it comes to European Cuisine so if we want a French night or an Italian Job I'm the one who will either spend an hour flicking through a Gordon Ramsay Book or suggest the Pizza place at Central World.

Maybe I should stop covering her head with the duvet when each eruption occurs.........but where is the fun in that?

mines the same its ok when she does it though..i don't mind a bit of competition..i still win on quality..bah.gif

steak pie(made by an Englishman here) chips and brook beans.friday night..thumbsup.gif spot on..

Last nite. Dozens of plump, scrumptious terriyaki chicken wings straight from the Weber with a bucketful of cool, tangy cherry tomatoes and cucumber salad. Wings marinated for 10 hours in the fridge. Those birds were sacrificed for a good cause!!

Aging Ex-Hippie Cereal Medley a la Euro-trashe

Small portion unsweetened German corn flakes (no longer sold in Thailand)

Small portion unsweetened Australian muesli (sweetened raisins picked out)

7 almonds

Teaspoon Flaxseed ground on the spot caveman style in mortar/pestle

Papaya sliced

Banana sliced

Covered with Plain lowfat yogurt mixed up with super cold water to create a yogurt milk type thingie

Good morning!

Edited by Jingthing

Last nite. Dozens of plump, scrumptious terriyaki chicken wings straight from the Weber with a bucketful of cool, tangy cherry tomatoes and cucumber salad. Wings marinated for 10 hours in the fridge. Those birds were sacrificed for a good cause!!

sounds nice rb but why sacrifice em they don't need wings..wai2.gif

• Like 1

The last western food I cooked was a pizza yesterday.

I like cooking shepherds Pie and Macaroni cheese and fortunately my wife is a first class Thai cook so she appreciates the time and effort I put in.

What was the last farang meal you cooked for yourself? - Rabbit and veg pie with french fries

What is your fave comfort food from your home country that you make here. Crumpets, lovely in the morning with a poached egg on top, mozzarella cheese and fresh grated pepper corns

How does the wife/gf react to your western culinary creations? Likes some better than others, loves my Cumberland sausage wink.png

Just made a breakfast of biscuits (scones to the UKs) ground pork sausage gravy, fried potatoes and onions, sunny side eggs, fresh brewed coffee, and a few gin Bloody Marys.

My wife is a wonderful cook--always find a lady who can learn to do things--her cheesecake is the best this side of NYC; her lasagna, ravioli, and connoli leave Southern Italians licking their lips; and her pork chops; standing rib roasts; scalloped potatoes; macaroni, chicken and cheese; snow peas; green beans; and of course split pea and ham soup are some of the best anywhere. Have gained several kilos happily.

Her reaction . . ., she loves them.

lightly toasted croissant sliced into sections, covered with bacon, carefully soft scrambled eggs with butter and sometimes a bit of cream, topped with bits of spring onion and Tabasco sauce. Fresh double espresso. mmmm.

i make lots of things and the wife loves my cooking, in particular 1 soft boiled eggs, and 2 pork chops with my signature chunky apple cinnamon and nutmeg sauce

Me and the missus had "Rat Bait" for lunch.

1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese

3 slices of bacon (diced)

1 onion (diced)

1 tomato (diced)

2 eggs (beaten)

Dash of worcestshire sauce.

Mix all in a bowl together then spoon over 6 slices of bread in a baking dish then bake @150 degC until brown.

Edited by Spoonman

four friends over for dinner, we had home-made pita bread with home-made hummus, fish pie (fresh fish and prawns from local market) with mashed potatoes and green beans, followed by home-made ginger and walnut cake with fresh cream and home-made walnut praline. We spent most of the day in the kitchen preparing but it was worth it, four happy and very full friends!

• Like 1

I often make cottage pies. Karen wife shops for the best beef and minces in for me, then I take over adding stock, chopped onion, Worcester Sauce, Bisto gravy granuals, frozen mixed veg. from Tesco and a few herbs with salt and pepper all in the saucepan. Mix the mashed pots. with a little butter and milk for the top of the pies. Served up with cabbage and Bisto gravy.

I also enjoy bangers, mash, peas and Bisto gravy. Best sausages from Makro in Chiang Mai, four hours from my home. Also enjoy bacon from Makro with fried bread, sausage, baked beans, frid egg and OK brown sauce. Scampi & chips is another favourite with Tartare sauce. Long tailed scampi and chunky chips from CP Foods in Mae Sariang town, Tatare sauce from Tesco Chiang Mai.

Would love a roastie but don't have a cooker.

Happy days.

As a retired caterer, with a master chefs certificate, (now defunct, haven't made the annual payments) - I cook all my own food, farang style. A big favourite is steak and kidney pie, which, incidentally the Thais in our extended family also like. The secret for me is a good 5 drawer freezer. I have up to 40 meals frozen down at any time.The big one that Thais like is English Chips, so I blanche them off and in the freezer, 3 kilo at a time. Lasagna, Pasta Sauces, braised steak, chicken and mushroom pie, chicken a la king, roast pork, chicken, beef. Braised kidney and braised liver.Steak and kidney pudding (the pudding mix is the Thai Sala Bow - works well).Thais also like fish and chips, but not the mushy peas. I've just worked out my own ham and bacon curing, so that's being developed as I go along. Steamed puddings , date, lemon etc, all in the freezer.

My wife is quite happy for me to cook for myself. The one who gets slightly miffed is M in L - she's old school and nags my wife for not looking after her husband. I have my own kitchen, and good I don't have to share with M in L, she cooks in the adjacent rice house - good job too, as the smells that come from there are reminiscent of gorrilla fart.

• Like 1