A Good Place To Hang & Chill During The Day

chanchao

I'm looking for a somewhat farang orientated place to hang, drink something, eat something, read something, chat a bit.. But a lot of the pubs that are open during the day are seriously scummy, bum hangnuts, but i'm also not looking for a golf crowd, though i guess the latter is better than the former. Any ideas? Today went past the Thapae area, queen victoria inn, poolside, o'malleys.. Where?

Why not try the Kafe? A good crowd of locals in the morning for breakfast, and lunch time. Good music, and reasonable food at reasonable prices.

Forum disclaimer! I have no financial interest what so ever in the above mentioned establishment!

Well, aircon is not absolutely essential, but some places are hotter than others.. Mad Dog for example gets pretty hot, Daret's terrace is a lot better, secret garden is okay.. :o Queen Victoria was awesome for breakfast i have to say, very friendly staff too. (yes i know the controversy) with a good sunday afternoon crowd it would be pretty excellent.

Gl seems actually that there are perfect places in chiang mai, say o malleys, queen vic, the bear.. All of them perfect for a good afternoon crowd (esp the bear, what a stunning location) just: strictly 'bring your own crowd' because in all of those places you don't find a soul during the day.

The Laughing Leprechaun Irish restaurant behind the John's Place bar.

Right in the thick of the Thapae Gate area, but nice and quiet because of being behind a big building.

Air-con inside, a big, pretty garden area outside with tables. Good food and cold beer and the owner is real nice guy and interesting to talk to if no one else is around.

uh oh.. UG is reading this now....wait for it

... And if you happen to be across the river... there is a great place called Love at First Bite which also has a garden area or air-con room, but mostly is decadent deserts and coffee.

If you are near TAT, there is another place called CENSORED BY THAIPAULY.

The Laughing Leprechaun Irish restaurant behind the John's Place bar.

Right in the thick of the Thapae Gate area, but nice and quiet because of being behind a big building.

Air-con inside, a big, pretty garden area outside with tables. Good food and cold beer and the owner is real nice guy and interesting to talk to if no one else is around.

Walked in once, empty, walked out again.

Know where you mean but given the amount of publicity never intend going there ‘cos it sounds appalling.

... And if you happen to be across the river... there is a great place called Love at First Bite which also has a garden area or air-con room, but mostly is decadent deserts and coffee.

You got me there UG, fair play.. I APPOLOGISE :o

You got me there UG, fair play.. I APPOLOGISE :o

Just joshing, and I wasn't going to recommend it in this thread by the way! :D

You got me there UG, fair play.. I APPOLOGISE :D

Just joshing, and I wasn't going to recommend it in this thread by the way! :D

No, I was wrong.. I put my hands up when I make a mistake... this was one of them. Joshing or not it HAS changed my opinion of you, if it makes any difference to you :D

This will teach me to pre-empt someone else's post....

Ah well as they say "A man who makes no mistakes....makes nothing at all" :o

i think (if it matters to any of u, if it doesn't, dont answer) that the best place to hang and chill during the day is on my bed with the air cond being blasted. precisely 2pm to about 6pm and have a late night partying the same day.

but i never have much of that opportunity cause i have to work everyday! but hope u guys figure out a good place :o

Why not try the Kafe? A good crowd of locals in the morning for breakfast, and lunch time. Good music, and reasonable food at reasonable prices.

Forum disclaimer! I have no financial interest what so ever in the above mentioned establishment!

I agree with the Kaffe. Nice spot for relaxing and watching the world go by. :o

Where is the kafe? It's one place that I havn't made a complete tit of myself...yet! :D

Where is the kafe? It's one place that I havn't made a complete tit of myself...yet! :D

On Moon muang, across from Mikes.

I agree with the Kaffe. Nice spot for relaxing and watching the world go by. :D

On Moon muang, across from Mikes.

Thanks.I have been there a number of times.Always on first class behaviour too...the wife was with me. :o:D

The Number 1 bar down the little soi on the right after going down Loi Kroh 100 yards ain't too bad either. Few nice couches and...ahem... wenches :D , although I think this place was mentioned before and possibly not so great in the day.

Defo Kafe for location and watching the klong and backpackers go by, although they've bunged their food prices up somewhat recently...beer still shockingly cheap though :o

I'm looking for a somewhat farang orientated place to hang, drink something, eat something, read something, chat a bit.. But a lot of the pubs that are open during the day are seriously scummy, bum hangnuts, but i'm also not looking for a golf crowd, though i guess the latter is better than the former. Any ideas? Today went past the Thapae area, queen victoria inn, poolside, o'malleys.. Where?

Try the Farang Cafe sometime, Meechok Plaza (new Rimping Supermarket #3), Mae Jo Road

Mainly Farang Menu, out of the smog of the city, open front onto the plaza to watch the world go by, No Aircon, UBC, Newspapers, beer & wine available. Gets a few Farangs in during the day and speaka da English - open 10 am to 8 pm.

DISCLAIMER - Owned and operated entirely by the wife, and in which I have NO managerial, operational or financial interest!

I go to Kafe a lot for dinner, but never during the day.. Thanks for that suggestion!

Also good that it's not TOO 'farang', but a good mix.

Cheers,

Chanchao

The Kafe also has a supurb location, being a few doors down from the hair academy :o If you don't get my drift, try sitting ourside around mid day :D

I go to Kafe a lot for dinner, but never during the day.. Thanks for that suggestion!

Also good that it's not TOO 'farang', but a good mix.

Cheers,

Chanchao

The Kafe also has a supurb location, being a few doors down from the hair academy :o If you don't get my drift, try sitting ourside around mid day :D

The Kafe has been excellent for a long time, but I'll give it a miss this week, it's too open to the street and getting there will be running the klong water gauntlet.

• 2 weeks later...
Gl seems actually that there are perfect places in chiang mai, say o malleys, queen vic, the bear.. All of them perfect for a good afternoon crowd (esp the bear, what a stunning location) just: strictly 'bring your own crowd' because in all of those places you don't find a soul during the day.

And check your bill and change.

And check your bill and change.

Sorry wrong post this reply was to the mention of "The Pub"