Immigration Office

KhunMarco

Only open Monday - Friday. I believe 8:30 - 5:00.

Thanks!

If you have a serious problem the Immigration office in International Departures at the Airport will try to help - If you can find them that is during the times there are no international flight departures!

Thanks!

If you have a serious problem the Immigration office in International Departures at the Airport will try to help - If you can find them that is during the times there are no international flight departures!

Thanks ,good to know!

In my case nothing serious, foolishly forgot my visa expired on the 9th.

First thing tomorrow morning I'll go to the office for an extension.

Hope not to find someone asking me to show my passport on my way to the office :o and get away with a 500 baht fine (the new daily fee...umpfff).

Edited by KhunMarco

Thanks!

Thanks ,good to know!

In my case nothing serious, foolishly forgot my visa expired on the 9th.

First thing tomorrow morning I'll go to the office for an extension.

Hope not to find someone asking me to show my passport on my way to the office :o and get away with a 500 baht fine (the new daily fee...umpfff).

Total should be 1500 baht fine for three days. They count the 9th., too.

Just for the record:

Chiang Mai Immigration Office Opening Hours :

Mon - Fri 08:30 - 16:30

Sat 08:30 - 12:00

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something weird happened today ( I think...):

My visa reads: Admitted untill 9 apr 2006

Today is the 10th, so I thought , Ok I'll have to pay a 500 baht fine.

Being the smart Italian that I am (cougherrrmmcough), I let them find out I'm a trasgressor.

Weeeell, not a mention of the fine and I walked away like a cat with its goldfish :o

Now I have to say, my passport is such a stamp-mess, you need a map to find your way out of it.

Anyway, tonight I'm going to dedicate a toast to the office staff. Khob khun maak kap :D

Just for the record:

Thanks for updating that info. Bit surprised about the Saturday part. There was a big debate once about the meaning of "until" and also the first day of overstay being free? Whatever the case good to see it worked out.

Edited by tywais

Just for the record:

Something weird happened today ( I think...):

My visa reads: Admitted untill 9 apr 2006

Today is the 10th, so I thought , Ok I'll have to pay a 500 baht fine.

Being the smart Italian that I am (cougherrrmmcough), I let them find out I'm a trasgressor.

Weeeell, not a mention of the fine and I walked away like a cat with its goldfish :o

Now I have to say, my passport is such a stamp-mess, you need a map to find your way out of it.

Anyway, tonight I'm going to dedicate a toast to the office staff. Khob khun maak kap :D

if your visa expires on a sunday or a public holiday, you are free to stay till the next business day. (thats my understanding and what an officer told me). one other thing to remember is that if there is fine somewhere between the lines, they would find it and will without doubt let you know about it. never underestimate the sharp eyes of our fine thai immigration officers. *ahem*

disclaimer: i don't work for the immigration dept. lol . disclaimers are so common nowdays on the forum (especially the CM one)

Edited by groo

If your visa says 'good until the 9th', then on the 9th, you are overdue. I understand that the standard policy is to forgive the first day, but its fine is included if you are later than that...

If your visa says 'good until the 9th', then on the 9th, you are overdue. I understand that the standard policy is to forgive the first day, but its fine is included if you are later than that...

come to think of it, its getting a bit confusing. but nevermind.

come to think of it, its getting a bit confusing. but nevermind.

I see what you mean.. Anyway, it worked out well for KhunMarco. :o

Real confusing for me anyway. Can someone clarify? Are we talking entry stamp or visa here? I think it is the entry stamp that says "admitted until". And what kind of visa do you have KhunMarco? And why could you extend here rather than have to go to Mae Sai? Actually I think maybe I understand this as this may be just some short term extension ( 1 week or 30 days or some such thing) of your current entry stamp and not a new entry stamp. And that this costs about 1900 baht vs nothing for the new stamp at the border. Am I correct in this?

Re the overstay, here is what I understand and what I was just told by a very helpful immigration officer at Mae Sai. "Admitted until" means you are legal until that date. If you are going for a border run they will fine you 500 baht per day after that even 500 baht for 1 day late. He said that the 1 day grace only applies in the case of someone leaving the country from an international airport. And as pointed out if you are 2 days late they will charge you the fee for both days and not just 1. I showed up at Mae Sai for the 1 minute border crossing on 31 March and my stamp said "admitted until 31 March" and no problem. For doing things with immigration here in CNX the Sunday/holiday exemption makes sense. But at the border I am fairly sure this will not apply as they are open every day.

Most of you probably know this already, but if you come in on a 1-year multiple entry visa, then you do not need to go to immigration to fill out a tm.8 reentry form before crossing the border.

A final note, if you want to save 60 baht, is to bring $5 US with you when crossing into Myanmar as they will accept either $5 US or 250 THB and these days $5 is only worth about 190 THB. :-)

Real confusing for me anyway. Can someone clarify? Are we talking entry stamp or visa here? I think it is the entry stamp that says "admitted until". And what kind of visa do you have KhunMarco? And why could you extend here rather than have to go to Mae Sai? Actually I think maybe I understand this as this may be just some short term extension ( 1 week or 30 days or some such thing) of your current entry stamp and not a new entry stamp. And that this costs about 1900 baht vs nothing for the new stamp at the border. Am I correct in this?

Re the overstay, here is what I understand and what I was just told by a very helpful immigration officer at Mae Sai. "Admitted until" means you are legal until that date. If you are going for a border run they will fine you 500 baht per day after that even 500 baht for 1 day late. He said that the 1 day grace only applies in the case of someone leaving the country from an international airport. And as pointed out if you are 2 days late they will charge you the fee for both days and not just 1. I showed up at Mae Sai for the 1 minute border crossing on 31 March and my stamp said "admitted until 31 March" and no problem. For doing things with immigration here in CNX the Sunday/holiday exemption makes sense. But at the border I am fairly sure this will not apply as they are open every day.

Most of you probably know this already, but if you come in on a 1-year multiple entry visa, then you do not need to go to immigration to fill out a tm.8 reentry form before crossing the border.

A final note, if you want to save 60 baht, is to bring $5 US with you when crossing into Myanmar as they will accept either $5 US or 250 THB and these days $5 is only worth about 190 THB. :-)

I have a triple entry tourist visa.

This visit to the office was for a 30 days extension

Each entry is valid for 60 days, then I ask for an extension (on the day of the 60days expiration)and the total is now 90 days.

Than I go to the border on the day of the 90 days expiration.

On the tourist visa I read: This Visa must be utilized before " a date here"

This can be tricky, because if they issue the visa ,say on January the 1st, but you arrive to Thailand on January the 10th. Your visa still "counts" from the date of issue.NOT FROM THE DATE OF YOUR ARRIVAL .(it's obvious , though lots of people fail to undarstand that )

And yes "admitted untill" is written on the stamp from the Thai office at Mae Sai.

I agree with Ajarn, admitted untill 9 april, means on the 10th you are a trasgressor.

To confirm that I and Ajan are right, I quote here what is written on the 30 days extension issued by the IMM. Office : Applicant must leave the Kingdom WITHIN the date specified herein. Offender will be punished with a forced meal at MC Donald (ching ching ) :o

Edited by KhunMarco

I agree with Ajarn, admitted untill 9 april, means on the 10th you are a trasgressor.

I don't think one of us has it right yet. I'm saying that if you're stamped 'Admitted until April 9, then on April 9 you are illegal, technically. This confusion has caused the powers to give everyone a free day, unless they're later that that, in which case, they collect money from April 9th., too...

It says Admitted until, not Admitted through, or so the thinking goes... :o

lopburi3 ??

Edited by Ajarn

It says Admitted until, not Admitted through, or so the thinking goes... :o

Deja vue, lopburi3 went through this in detail once before. Still confusing though. Would be interesting to see it written in Thai for better interpretation. Seems the following means before the actual date though. Regardless, it is always a good idea to go before the date stamp in case of complications. My immigration officer chided me for coming on the date (not because it was wrong and an one year extension has different wording, but due to my previous comment) and said up to a week before would help them.

2. To; up to; till; before; -- used of time; as, he staid until evening; he will not come back until the end of the month.

Note: In contracts and like documents until is construed as exclusive of the date mentioned unless it was the manifest intent of the parties to include it.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Of course since this is Thailand the "Note" may or may not apply.

Edited by tywais

Oh I see...

Well a debate about the proper use of English language is obviously out of my league.

I can tell you I often went to the border or to the Imm. office on the "valid untill" date ,and never had a fine. On the contrary, once I was a day late and I paid 1 day fine.

That's my experience.