Focus and Timing..

Dancealot

I wanted to focus on the flame sharp and clear and the surroundings slightly off focus with a good lighting.

So I chose a fast shutter time and no flash in preparation for the shot. Also set the light sensitivity low because at the moment the flame pops up the flame would actually be my flash.

This is the result

post-70928-0-99444900-1374516796_thumb.j

Big fail but I was happy that I caught the flame. Still I was disappointed. What should I have done to improve this shot?

• 2 weeks later...

That flame has a really werriod random shape to it that is interesting.

What camera you using?

Yep, I thought the flame was very keen, myself.

Canon S100, my first real cam. I have gotten to grips with it more or less and now I am looking for an upgrade already..

Here the opposite result on another stirr fry chef. Enough focus and contrast but too much light..

IMG_5856.JPG

Manually set: Iso 200 1/30sec exposure FL 5.2 no flash, of course...

Edited by Dancealot

After some post processing on my 2nd shot I resulted with the first chef coming into focus meanwhile unintentionally neglecting the master chef working in the background. Unfortunately the long TL lights still dominate the overall picture.. I wanted to catch the master Chef and his flame at work so i gather my mistake was there where too many obstacles between my cam and him to be able to highlight him... Next time I have to mind my angle and framing better. Thanks CLB, for giving me a push in the back.

IMG_5857.JPG

Edited by Dancealot

The main problem is of composition; you really need to get closer, or use the zoom, to isolate the chef and his flame. Not easy to do in such a crowded environment; but you won't get the shot from a distance. Hard to focus on the flame due to its fleeting nature, so manually focus on the burner; this will also give you a better chance of catching the flame when it comes because there will be no pause for the camera to focus before taking the shot. You could also consider focusing on the chef (again manually for speed of subsequent shooting); an in-focus chef with a slightly blurry flame might be more interesting than a sharp flame with a blurry chef.

To minimise depth of field, rather than picking a fast shutter speed, select a wide open aperture (smallest f number) and then adjust the shutter speed from there. You can do this either using aperture priority or manual mode.

• Like 2

The main problem is of composition; you really need to get closer, or use the zoom, to isolate the chef and his flame. Not easy to do in such a crowded environment; but you won't get the shot from a distance. Hard to focus on the flame due to its fleeting nature, so manually focus on the burner; this will also give you a better chance of catching the flame when it comes because there will be no pause for the camera to focus before taking the shot. You could also consider focusing on the chef (again manually for speed of subsequent shooting); an in-focus chef with a slightly blurry flame might be more interesting than a sharp flame with a blurry chef.

To minimise depth of field, rather than picking a fast shutter speed, select a wide open aperture (smallest f number) and then adjust the shutter speed from there. You can do this either using aperture priority or manual mode.

thumbsup.gif Thanks again, fracturedrabbit.

Glad you understand I was forced in this position because this was the only angle I could actually see the flame properly. I know this will happen more in the future so instead of forgetting about it I try to learn and improve on the situation.

You hammered manual focus and doing everything manual into my approach on taking photo's. I thank you again for this.

wai.gif

The next day i changed my angle because I felt there was too much light, like you told me. Thank you as wel Jimmy, for confirming this.thumbsup.gif

I got a better shot but i haven't manually focused on this. Silly me..sad.png I think in there lies the key, like Fraturedrabbitwai.gif explained.

Here it is anyway:

IMG_6773.JPG

Can someone do me a Dummies Guide to post a Pic from Dropbox to here on Visa .All my Pix are there,jeez i'm so dumb at times.Everything got sent there from not understanding the Samsung App.sad.png .

Ouch! No worries, I can relate..

Post this as a new topic! That would help..

Can someone do me a Dummies Guide to post a Pic from Dropbox to here on Visa .All my Pix are there,jeez i'm so dumb at times.Everything got sent there from not understanding the Samsung App.sad.png .

Ouch! No worries, I can relate..

Post this as a new topic! That would help..

Have done so ,Thanks.