Wolverine aka Hugh Jackmans Training Regime

Tolley

Not to rain on your parade but only if you use steroids can he hope to gain that much muscle else that much calories will turn into fat. Naturally its really limited what you can do in a set period and naturally gaining a kg of muscle per week is not something that is done. Only by the real beginners who have no muscle development at all.

I read some nice articles about this from Lyle Mc Donalds.

Not to rain on your parade but only if you use steroids can he hope to gain that much muscle else that much calories will turn into fat. Naturally its really limited what you can do in a set period and naturally gaining a kg of muscle per week is not something that is done. Only by the real beginners who have no muscle development at all.

You might be right .

He does say he works out 3 hours a day twice a day.

Maybe he already had a good amount of muscle mass before he began his regime.

You might be right .

He does say he works out 3 hours a day twice a day.

Maybe he already had a good amount of muscle mass before he began his regime.

Sure I think he has.. and then its harder to get any more .. and working out 3 hours a day twice a day is almost impossible to do without steroids.. your body just wont put up with it. Steroids will then aid in recovery and muscle growth, of course this will never be admitted. But I think many of the stars use it if they want to beef up. Gaining muscle is no small feat if you already have some and in the short time those guys have to get ready for a movie.. I highly doubt it is al natural.

For me that doe s not make it any less impressive as they still have to workout hard.

He's not a big guy at all. Some decent courses of steroids and then a diet to strip the bodyfat will easily get him into shape. The low bodyfat gives the illusion of more size. Sure, for the average guy he's a monster, but from a bodybuilding perspective he's an underwear model.biggrin.png The average Joe is so easy to impress.

Training 3 hours x2 per day is totally absurd and not necessary with or without steroids... and would slow progress. I reckon that's a load of bull.

I haven't managed to find one shot of his legs. He's wears really long shorts at the beach. I'll bet he doesn't train legs.

Edited by tropo

He's not a big guy at all. Some decent courses of steroids and then a diet to strip the bodyfat will easily get him into shape. The low bodyfat gives the illusion of more size. Sure, for the average guy he's a monster, but from a bodybuilding perspective he's an underwear model.biggrin.png The average Joe is so easy to impress.

Training 3 hours x2 per day is totally absurd and not necessary with or without steroids... and would slow progress. I reckon that's a load of bull.

I haven't managed to find one shot of his legs. He's wears really long shorts at the beach. I'll bet he doesn't train legs.

I agree with you there Tropo, the average guy is easy to impress. Anyway I think a lot of starts use steroids just like they do in almost every sport they will just not admit it as it is called cheating.

People still seem to think you can take steroids and its magic.. you still need to work out hard eat good ect.

And the 2 x 3 hour a day I am pretty sure its not true as you said it is too much that is why i said only on steroids maybe.. because no way your body is going to recover from 2 x 3 hours hard training naturally.

I agree with you there Tropo, the average guy is easy to impress. Anyway I think a lot of starts use steroids just like they do in almost every sport they will just not admit it as it is called cheating.

People still seem to think you can take steroids and its magic.. you still need to work out hard eat good ect.

And the 2 x 3 hour a day I am pretty sure its not true as you said it is too much that is why i said only on steroids maybe.. because no way your body is going to recover from 2 x 3 hours hard training naturally.

Probably the biggest part of those 2 x 3 hour sessions are Cardio and agility related exercises.

Wasn't Sylvester Stalone caught red-handed using HGH in big amounts to stay in shape , not so long ago.

Probably the biggest part of those 2 x 3 hour sessions are Cardio and agility related exercises.

Wasn't Sylvester Stalone caught red-handed using HGH in big amounts to stay in shape , not so long ago.

He was caught with it, but I really don't see the problem of him using it. HGH is actually not that good for muscles its more anti aging and a bit anti fat.

I have no problems with people using it, but if they say they are natural and project images that can't be gotten natural as natural it just sets up people for disappointment. I wanted to use HGH but the price plus the fact that its not that potent put me off.

I always find it funny when you see these guys with overdeveloped huge upper bodies sitting on a pair of matchsticks.

I have seen some guys in Tony's with Popeye arms that are far bigger than their legs .

I always find it funny when you see these guys with overdeveloped huge upper bodies sitting on a pair of matchsticks.

I have seen some guys in Tony's with Popeye arms that are far bigger than their legs .

I was once like that never trained my legs that much. But since I came here I do as much legs as I do any other muscle. I think there should be some balance.

I was once like that never trained my legs that much. But since I came here I do as much legs as I do any other muscle. I think there should be some balance.

Lower body strength helps with upper body strength doesn't it?

I mean if you have a strong base, glutes, thighs , back then you should be able to generate more upper body strength?

Edited by Tolley

Lower body strength helps with upper body strength doesn't it?

I mean if you have a strong base, glutes, thighs , back then you should be able to generate more upper body strength?

I am not sure.. It did not differ one bit for doing bench presses and other pushes. But I just do it now because I feel things should be in balance.

But if you are talking in day to day life sure you need your strong legs to generate more total strength.

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone one of the responders here is reading this wrong he is not working out 2 x 3 hours. It clearly states in the article:

working out three hours a day over two sessions

SO ? The changes he made are hard to do without "juice" If you don't believe me that is up to you. I got years and years of experience weight training and a body to prove it.

I dont like thick legs and would want my youth agility back, so i only do legs when i have to for my lower back, i.e squats

I don't like thick legs, but I do like well developed legs with good muscular separation and definition.

Thick legs are usually a result of a lot of muscle covered by too much fat. Some people carry more fat on their limbs, some don't.

Unless you're crippled there's no excuse not to work the legs. Well developed upper bodies resting on skinny legs are pathetic.

People who say they don't like big legs (I'm referring to bodybuilders) are probably just too lazy to work them and looking for excuses. Unless you're genetically gifted, building decent legs is very hard work compared to building upper body muscles.

• Like 1

Everyone one of the responders here is reading this wrong he is not working out 2 x 3 hours. It clearly states in the article:

That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. It's still excessive and counterproductive. Most top bodybuilders and powerlifters will not train that long each day. I usually train for around 2 hours on workout days, and that's also a bit excessive and I'm trying to cut it back. The problem I have is that I train slower in a very warm gym as I need more recovery time between sets when it's hot.

SO ? The changes he made are hard to do without "juice" If you don't believe me that is up to you. I got years and years of experience weight training and a body to prove it.

Relax! He was merely (correctly) stating that he trains 3 hours a day, not 6 hours. 2 x 1.5 hours.

Relax! He was merely (correctly) stating that he trains 3 hours a day, not 6 hours. 2 x 1.5 hours.

What now you want to go one on one with me.. come on i can have you cheesy.gif (hope to see you next month mate)

He is right there but what i am all about is that these programs of the stars and those of many bodybuilders always leave out that they use "juice" and thus when a normal person tries this he wont get the same results or burn out.

What now you want to go one on one with me.. come on i can have you cheesy.gif (hope to see you next month mate)

He is right there but what i am all about is that these programs of the stars and those of many bodybuilders always leave out that they use "juice" and thus when a normal person tries this he wont get the same results or burn out.

"Juice" talking introduces another problem.... Once people are convinced that all results come from "juice" they believe that the type of training you do is irrelevant.... If you're not getting results, take more juice or take different juice.

"Juice" talking introduces another problem.... Once people are convinced that all results come from "juice" they believe that the type of training you do is irrelevant.... If you're not getting results, take more juice or take different juice.

Also true.. people then believe just taking it will make you big and training is not important. Complicated all around.

Also true.. people then believe just taking it will make you big and training is not important. Complicated all around.

Yes, so complicated it's hard to know what to do.

Here's a good example.... I just watched an instructional (seminar) video by Dorian Yates who was a 6 times Mr Olympia winner from 1992 to 1997. This particular video was about building shoulders. He was suggesting that DB presses (partial with no lockout) and lateral raises are all that is needed. He was explaining how behind the neck barbell presses can be dangerous for the shoulders due to external rotation and how he used to do a lot of them in his earlier days up to 350 lbs and later on in his career he didn't do them. This is extremely misleading because it would seem quite likely that he developed his huge deltoids from doing heavy behind the neck presses despite the fact they are a risky proposition. He already had huge shoulders when he stopped doing them. He built his shoulders doing exercises he's not recommending.

Edited by tropo

Talking about juice, here is a video of Dorian talking about his early steroid use when he was still an amateur.

You can fast forward to minute around minute 13:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2TLM7v1oOI

I understand about the dehydrating yourself before a body building contest / posing on camera, but I don't understand what drinking 4 gallons of water a day does. What is the point of drinking so much water in one day? I would say that I am an active person. Much more cardio than weight lifting. I hardly drink any fluids daily. A couple glasses of water, a can of pop with lunch, some milk with my protein shake, but that's about it.