Zorbas

I haven't been down to Thapae for awhile but noticed a 'new' restaurant located on the moat down around Mama Falafels and Bier Stube. I stopped in and the atmosphere was somewhat bland but then it was ok. I ordered the Gyros. It was either pork or chicken. I chose chicken. Small portion with satisfactory flavor (nothing great). 90 baht. It looked to me like there was about 30 baht worth of product (maybe)....which means at least a 200% markup. Is that a normal markup for falang restaurant prices? Mama Falafel is a bit pricy, but the quality and portion sizes makes up for the cost. I find MF to be quite delicious. MF's Pita Falafel is twice as big, 5 times tastier and only 10 baht more.

It's been my experience that when a new restaurant opens, the pricing is quite reasonable but after a few months prices start to climb a bit. What I see at Zorbas is that management has started off at the top end. I imagine that it will cater to falangs, not Thais, and that it will cater to the tourist rather than the residents of Chiang Mai. If I am correct about tourists patronizing Zorbas, what a super bad move it was to open up at the end of tourist season. Management may get to pay the rent for April, but good luck until November.

Just my 2 cents on a great idea cause I like Greek food and it's not easy to find in Chiang Mai, but so sad that it's started off with an air of greed. :o

Zorbas or is it Zorba??? is not a place I will be returning to.

jb

Edited by JungleBoy

I agree about Zorba's. Overpriced and not anything special taste wise.

Mousaka seems to be like lasagna with eggplant but a small piece is 170 baht with no bread and nothing else on the plate. 100-120 baht would be a lot more realistic.

On top of everything else, when they are slow, they make the staff go out front, act as touts and hurrass people passing by. :o

I mostly avoid this place.

I was just up in CM last week, and ate at Zorba's at least three times. They were having a special on souvlaki ghiros--buy two, get one free... that's three for 180 baht. Not such a bad deal if you ask me, but everything else on the menu (including the ghiro w/o the special) is completely overpriced. It's a good thing I was there with a 'holiday mentality' so-to-speak, otherwise they wouldn't have seen my business.

Also, 30 baht for a bottle of soda?! I'm talking the 9.5 oz (280 mL) glass bottle... this is more expensive per oz than in the states! You've gotta be kidding me!

But, guessing from the area it's in, the tourists will certainly keep it afloat, for sure.

Edited by kruudontrii