Best Indian Food In Town (imho)

ganrad

Being an Indian having lived in Bkk for the past 10 years, I would rate the restaurants as follows

Hot Curry (Soi 20) - best

Indian Hut (Suriwong)

Bukhara's (near Soi 7 Suk)

Rest are all "run off the mill" or are not authentic.

Have not included Rangmahal (Rembrandt 24th floor) here since it is too expensive.

No idea about Taj Mahal and Red Pepper - which are new entrants

For Veggie (South Indian) food - Komala's in Soi 20, Suk is the only good choice - though a bit crowded and chaotic in weekends. For those who have seen only the usual Punjabi veriety of Indian food, this will be prove to be different taste and much lighter (less smellier for the Thais). But no meat!

Wherefrom in India are you from?

The stuff they sell here is not the stuff I have eaten in India. Calcutta, Delhi, Amritsar, Puri - these are kinds of places I know Indian food by. Not much, but I hardly recognise it here.

• 3 weeks later...
Being an Indian having lived in Bkk for the past 10 years, I would rate the restaurants as follows

Indian Hut (Suriwong)

Have not included Rangmahal (Rembrandt 24th floor) here since it is too expensive.

For Veggie (South Indian) food - Komala's in Soi 20, Suk is the only good choice - though a bit crowded and chaotic in weekends. For those who have seen only the usual Punjabi veriety of Indian food, this will be prove to be different taste and much lighter (less smellier for the Thais). But no meat!

I wasnt impressed with Hot Curry at all, probably one of the worst indian food i have ever had.... then again each to their own taste - i seem to remember that it was processed chicken meat rather than the real thing.... :o

• 3 weeks later...

Indian Hut (Suriwong)

I wasnt impressed with Hot Curry at all, probably one of the worst indian food i have ever had.... then again each to their own taste - i seem to remember that it was processed chicken meat rather than the real thing.... :o

Amazing that comments from two different posters are totally opposite regarding a restauraunt; IF there is no hidden motive. But only a true opinion. Gives a strong impression that someones review of any restaurant can't be relied upon.

'Indian food' is a British thing, derived from traditional Indian dishes.

Last time I checked, only Indian people in England made Indian food to sell. Indians from different regions of India will make different types of food, and since there's 28 states and 7 territories that make up India, there's quite a bit of room for variety. A lot of restaurants and take away places will adjust their offerings to appeal to local markets - and there are those that won't. Not everyone is good at cooking, so their food will suck anyway!

Anyway, Tandoori on Sukhumvit Soi 49 was authentic, last time I went there... and I love Rang Mahal too.