New Highway Linking Cm With China

thebear

This could be one of two roads. Either Chiang Khong / Houei Xai (Laos) - Boten, or from Mae Sai / Tachilek (Myanmar) - China border.

But the distances from the Thai border to the China border are much greater than 91 kms.

So either your 91 kms is wrong, or is could be a road link from somewhere in N Burma to China or N Laos to China.

But my guess is that they are talking about the Houei Xai - Boten road, which is highway 3 in N Laos. However this is a distance of approx 240 kms. This road is under re-construction & will most likely be all asphalt from early-mid 2007 if they are lucky. The northern half at the China border end from Luang Namtha- Boten is 50% asphalt already, with more to come in a few more months. The “southern” Thai end is still a bit of a mess with heaps of heavy construction still going on. If you want to see some photos of it in Nov 2005 check out the GT Rider board

This could be one of two roads. Either Chiang Khong / Houei Xai (Laos) - Boten, or from Mae Sai / Tachilek (Myanmar) - China border.

But the distances from the Thai border to the China border are much greater than 91 kms.

So either your 91 kms is wrong, or is could be a road link from somewhere in N Burma to China or N Laos to China.

But my guess is that they are talking about the Houei Xai - Boten road, which is highway 3 in N Laos. However this is a distance of approx 240 kms. This road is under re-construction & will most likely be all asphalt from early-mid 2007 if they are lucky. The northern half at the China border end from Luang Namtha- Boten is 50% asphalt already, with more to come in a few more months. The “southern” Thai end is still a bit of a mess with heaps of heavy construction still going on. If you want to see some photos of it in Nov 2005 check out the GT Rider board

Thanks for some clarification - given the fiasco and time taken with the "Super" highway I guess the bottom line is we better not hold our breath waiting for an invasion of Chinese tourists and their money!

Edited by thebear

Actually I don’t reckon it will be that long before the mass Chinese tourism is here. The road progress is pretty good & whilst I don’t think it will be finished 100% on time, it most likely will only be months behind & not "years" like the Cnx super.

Then when it's finished expect an announcement for the new bridge across the MeKhong, & it wont be a surprise to see who's land it is near.

Won't call myself particular insightsful on this subject. However, from the back of my memory, I do recall exactly those 91 km. Also, from the back of my (not absolutely reliable memory) I recall that those 91 km were accociated with some constructionwork going on in Myanmar on the narrow strip between Tachilek and the Chinese border - but I might be totally wrong. (Now I've contributed the two satangs, I've left in my pocket).

The highway from Tachileik to the Chinese border is already complete, meaning you can drive from Mae Sai to China in one day now. In order to cross the border there, however, you'd need special permission in advance from a Chinese embassy or consulate.

This could be a part of the North South Economic Corridor (NSEC) which in conjunction with the East West Economic Corridor (EWEC) are designed to link Lao, Myanmar,Thailand,Vietnam Cambodia and China with the world economic centers in Japan, India, Arabia/Middle-East and Europe.

EWEC/NSEC - Ministry of foreign affairs statement

The highway from Tachileik to the Chinese border is already complete, meaning you can drive from Mae Sai to China in one day now. In order to cross the border there, however, you'd need special permission in advance from a Chinese embassy or consulate.

Think you need special permission to do that route in Burma, too.

It's pretty routine actually, and has been for about 10 years, even back in 96 when it took nine hours to reach Kyaingtong (Chiang Tung). I've driven that route twice myself, both times in my own vehicle. Paperwork takes about 15 minutes at the border in Tachileik, much faster than arranging the same paperwork to drive your own vehicle in Laos or Malaysia.

On the new road it only take three hours to drive from Mae Sai to Kyaingtong (Chiang Tung). Not sure how long it takes from there to the Chinese border, as I've not yet driven it, but a couple of friends of mine have done that section and say the relatively newly sealed road is quite fast.

It's pretty routine actually, and has been for about 10 years, even back in 96 when it took nine hours to reach Kyaingtong (Chiang Tung). I've driven that route twice myself, both times in my own vehicle. Paperwork takes about 15 minutes at the border in Tachileik, much faster than arranging the same paperwork to drive your own vehicle in Laos or Malaysia.

On the new road it only take three hours to drive from Mae Sai to Kyaingtong (Chiang Tung). Not sure how long it takes from there to the Chinese border, as I've not yet driven it, but a couple of friends of mine have done that section and say the relatively newly sealed road is quite fast.

Was with friends in South China last week and the talk was all about the "new" road being built through Burma to North Thailand. They were claiming an easy day's drive to CM. Perhaps this is the one they were referring to.

What paperwork is now required at Talichek? Sounds much easier than previously.