Recommendation for CTH satellite dish installer.

chris2004

Can anyone recommend a satellite dish installer in the Pattaya/Jomtien area to get the new CTH service (and EPL). Has anyone had it installed yet, what was the cost? I understand the dish faces south-east 112 degrees.

The CTH website is not very helpful (especially if you don't read thai) as to how to get the service.

Hi Chris.

Isigned up for mine yesterday,was 3,500 naht for dish,set top box and installation,then 899 baht a month,or cheaper if u want to pay a full 12 months up front

The office is near the top of pattaya thai,heading towards Sukhumvit,on the right, and says CTH office on the window/door.They speak english and seem a decent company,Also cable out soon but i want mine in before Aug 17th.

I have reduced my true vision payment from Platinum to Gold,which is 1,500 baht and will cancell if CVTH is good,and they have 147 channels i think,even though its football mainly i want.

Forgot to say,they are installing 2pm on Monday, so quick too.

Edited by somtampet

Hi Chris.

Isigned up for mine yesterday,was 3,500 naht for dish,set top box and installation,then 899 baht a month,or cheaper if u want to pay a full 12 months up front

The office is near the top of pattaya thai,heading towards Sukhumvit,on the right, and says CTH office on the window/door.They speak english and seem a decent company,Also cable out soon but i want mine in before Aug 17th.

I have reduced my true vision payment from Platinum to Gold,which is 1,500 baht and will cancell if CVTH is good,and they have 147 channels i think,even though its football mainly i want.

Thanks for that. Could you let us all know what the picture/quality is like after installation. I have Truevisions Gold but pay 1750 a month and am fed up with the lousy reception on most of the HD channels. Will move to CTH if it's OK.

Hi Chris.

Thanks for that. Could you let us all know what the picture/quality is like after installation. I have Truevisions Gold but pay 1750 a month and am fed up with the lousy reception on most of the HD channels. Will move to CTH if it's OK.

If everything goes to plan i can post my finding monday night

I live in Bang Saray - 20 kms from Pattaya. My local office is Sattahip - 038-739-442

My wife phoned them Friday - they're fitting it Sunday. Will pay for a yr then decide whether to take it longer term.

Edited by Rimmer
no need for giant fonts thank you

Consider that that satellite is at 103 degrees south , this is nearly 180 degrees opposite those ubc dishes you see everywhere.

103 degrees south? I dont think so. The measurement is degrees east of south for TV satellites visible here, and degrees west of south for satellites that serve the US etc, and both east and west of south for satellites that serve the EU, and so on.

And if one geostationary comms satellite is 180 degrees distant from another then it is on the other side of the planet, and hence both of them cannot possibly be visible from the same point on the Earth's surface. Separation of 65 degrees or so is about the most that is generally usable for domestic TV satellites and domestic installations, and a few degrees more for large dish installations such as those used by the military or broadcasters.

Consider that that satellite is at 103 degrees south , this is nearly 180 degrees opposite those ubc dishes you see everywhere.

103 degrees south? I dont think so. The measurement is degrees east of south for TV satellites visible here, and degrees west of south for satellites that serve the US etc, and both east and west of south for satellites that serve the EU, and so on.

And if one geostationary comms satellite is 180 degrees distant from another then it is on the other side of the planet, and hence both of them cannot possibly be visible from the same point on the Earth's surface. Separation of 65 degrees or so is about the most that is generally usable for domestic TV satellites and domestic installations, and a few degrees more for large dish installations such as those used by the military or broadcasters.

I understood the Truevisions satellite was at 240 degrees (ie pointing south west) and the CTH at 112 degrees (ie pointing south east). Surely at any point in Pattaya you can face the sky at any angle. It's important to me because my balcony only faces north and east. (maybe south east).

CTH website clearly say Dish pointing @ 131.8 degrees East

cut and paste from CTH website + translated into English..

in FAQs A36:

satellite dish facing east molasses for flat 131. 8E is the angle measured from the horizontal by 0 from the north circular clockwise 360 ​​degrees until the north again. And the tilt angle of elevation of 51 satellites. Most iPhone users. The application name Appi Disk pointer (pointer) 131.8e the stars from the sky to the ground 111e sweep angle and elevation angle adjusting plate 50 up and down.

Edited by ignis

I understood the Truevisions satellite was at 240 degrees (ie pointing south west) and the CTH at 112 degrees (ie pointing south east). Surely at any point in Pattaya you can face the sky at any angle. It's important to me because my balcony only faces north and east. (maybe south east).

As far as I know CTH is on Vinasat 2 at 131.8 East and True is on Thaicom 5 at 78.5 East. The difference between the two is some 50+ degrees, which is getting towards the practical limit of what is receivable from any one place on the ground, even assuming that there aren't any large buildings or mountains in the way.

The actual satellites are situated over the equator and their position is calculated in degrees east or west of the meridian (Greenwich).

Satellite near the horizon at much harder to receive, for various reasons, and so the readily receivable satellites in any particular location are normally at least 20 degrees above the horizon. Any satellite below the horizon (ie half the sky or 180 degrees) is perpetually invisible. To reliably cover the whole of the equator you would need 3 satellites in geostationary orbit over the equator, and even then you wont get reception anywhere near the poles.

Members of the Flat Earth Society may have another take on this.

Does CTH re-broadcast the normal free to air Thai channels? If they do that'd be quite costly to rent out the space on the 'foreign' satellite for these channels where true just piggyback on what's normally on Thaicom anyway. It'll even be costlier once the normal channels goes HD too, I know ThaiPBS have an HD stream on Thaicom but it's not available on true's system. It looks like the transition to HD will be another mess to deal with in a couple of years.

And comes the time for other international sporting events that's shown on the standard channel, we might get blackout on non-terrestrial broadcast again