Christian can get discounts of 10% on medicine and everything in Owerbrooke hospital.

brianmarinus

My wife discovered on the internet here at the weekend that a Christian can get discounts of 10% on medicine and everything in Owerbrooke hospital.
She asked the doctor today when we were there and sure enough .. I just need to be able to produce a paper with some kind of proof that you are a Christian, which in my case is simple, since we in Denmark pay church tax, so it evidenced by our tax bill.

This kind of discrimination is common in Churches like this. Working on upland development projects, I noticed really nice looking Anglo-Nubian goats. I asked the farmer whether they would sell baby goats to other villagers. Was informed that you had to be a member of their church to receive baby Anglo-Nubian goats. Well such is the way the Southern Baptists work...

hmmm, thinks to self: go buy a cheap pendant cross and flash it around at checkout time for the discount. Though if they ask me to recite a passage out of the good bike, I'm likely screwed :D

hmmm, thinks to self: go buy a cheap pendant cross and flash it around at checkout time for the discount. Though if they ask me to recite a passage out of the good bike, I'm likely screwed biggrin.png

What about the one about the good samaritan.,...I understand the helper there did not ask what religeon the person was.

Probably would not work as I doubt they have heard that.

• Like 1

Sorry-I diddent posted this to upset anyone-and diddent asked what kind of christians who can get this-I just tell you what he said to me-what ever your conclusion then may be is up to you-sorry I try to inform about this.

Yours is a good post Brian, I was just having a bit of fun at myself, believe it or not, being the heathen that I am :)

Uasch all this christian shit is coming here and just create a mess amongst the Buddists..... People playing

missionairies and spreading their posion.

Medicin is cheapest to buy at the pharmacia and absoluteley expensiest at the hospitals....

Glegolo

hmmm, thinks to self: go buy a cheap pendant cross and flash it around at checkout time for the discount. Though if they ask me to recite a passage out of the good bike, I'm likely screwed biggrin.png

"recite a passage out of the good bike"

The first give away would be referring to the Bible as a bike.

This does seem to be a variation of the infamous "dual pricing" that sends TV regulars into paroxysms of righteous indignation if Thais pay a few baht less for something than non-Thais.

I'd be careful if they start offering free Kool-Aid.

Edited by Suradit69

This kind of discrimination is common in Churches like this. Working on upland development projects, I noticed really nice looking Anglo-Nubian goats. I asked the farmer whether they would sell baby goats to other villagers. Was informed that you had to be a member of their church to receive baby Anglo-Nubian goats. Well such is the way the Southern Baptists work...

Most big detail groups require you are a member to get special discounts - no one complaine about that.

• Like 1

Uasch all this christian shit is coming here and just create a mess amongst the Buddists..... People playing

Medicin is cheapest to buy at the pharmacia and absoluteley expensiest at the hospitals....

Glegolo

This have nothing to do about spreading poison-but about a hospital founded by a christian person who made this rule - 10% of for christians.

Thats all-and have nothing to do whit poison or goats or what ever you are babling about.

• Like 2

Glegolo

This have nothing to do about spreading poison-but about a hospital founded by a christian person who made this rule - 10% of for christians.

Thats all-and have nothing to do whit poison or goats or what ever you are babling about.

I actually think it's kind of wrong. There are Jewish and Catholic hospitals in the USA, open to all of course, and no discounts for Jews and Catholics. People would find discounts like that based on religion really offensive.

Thinking about this from another angle, supposing a secular hospital offered discounts to all who could document their non-religiosity. Imagine the uproar!

Edited by Jingthing

When Little Miss JAG was born (eight years ago now!) i went to the cash office at The Overbrook to pay the (reasonable I thought) bill.

Young Lady behind desk asked if I was a Christian, as " Christian get discount!"

"Oh yes", I replied, " I am"

"What Church?"

"I am a Catholic"

" Oh no, Catholic no discount!"

Hey ho, Mai Pen Rai.....

• Like 1

From my experience Overbrook is a big rip off. How these fools can decide that the largest Christian faith in the world does not qualify under their 10% discount rule is nothing short of amazing. The hospital is not very clean and way over priced. Not a lot different than Sriburin. Have you ever been to either of these hospitals when they did not load you down with expensive pills you already have at home

Glegolo

Think glegolo was referring to the missionaries Brian which, have for some time here and continue to do so worldwide, spread their poison!

• Like 1

Donald, the case I was referring to (Anglo Nubian Goats) were Southern Baptists. They introduced those goats to the area.

What makes you think they are Southern Baptists. There probably are about 500 different christian groups. How do you prove which one you are to satisfy the hospital.

You must excuse me but I am completely frustrated with how people receive some pretty simple information - an information which only had / has a single purpose which is to draw attention to this discount so that people can benefit from the use of the discount.
Those who can not take advantage of this discount can just skip to the next topic.
I have not heard anyone who has complained about the discount us who have Thai driving license is awarded .... but there's so much I dont understand ......

Edited by brianmarinus
  • Like 2

Consider yourself lucky Brian, as no one has attacked you personally, they are just expressing their views on religions in general. Once we post something, we have little control over the way others interpret the content or respond. Again no one is denigrating you personally so, it could be much worse.smile.png Just let them express themselves.

"recite a passage out of the good bike"

The first give away would be referring to the Bible as a bike.

This does seem to be a variation of the infamous "dual pricing" that sends TV regulars into paroxysms of righteous indignation if Thais pay a few baht less for something than non-Thais.

I'd be careful if they start offering free Kool-Aid.

It was typo, pure and simple. Get over it.

You must excuse me but I am completely frustrated with how people receive some pretty simple information - an information which only had / has a single purpose which is to draw attention to this discount so that people can benefit from the use of the discount.

Those who can not take advantage of this discount can just skip to the next topic.

I have not heard anyone who has complained about the discount us who have Thai driving license is awarded .... but there's so much I dont understand ......

You must understand that the whole basis of Christianity is to be a good person to everyone equally: to "love your enemies", NOT to be nicer to members of your own religion, to give them an advantage, rendering Christianity the equivalent of being a member of a wholesale retailer like Makro.

This is what Christians declare Christianity IS. The New Testament is full of stories showing that this is the attitude Christians are supposed to have, e.g the Good Samaritan, going out of his way to help a Jew, an ethnicity typically despising (and despised by), Samaritans.

Getting a discount because you have a Thai driving license does not go against any principle, and has no relevance to the basis for getting a Thai driving license. Getting a discount for being a Christian however goes directly against the principles that Christians themselves say that they follow.

So it seems hypocritical for Christians to give each other discounts for being in the same club, when the stated and professed basis of their religion is to do good to all without discrimination, and it angers people who dislike religions on principle, because it seems so lame.

Some time back Best Beloved ( a Buddhist of course) was repeating what a friend had told her about a protestant school in Chiang Rai. They were marvelling that every room was air-conditioned.

Of course, as she proclaimed, "They are air con Christians, not Catholic same you!"

A subtle theological observation, which made me chuckle!

hmmm, thinks to self: go buy a cheap pendant cross and flash it around at checkout time for the discount. Though if they ask me to recite a passage out of the good bike, I'm likely screwed :D

How about "go forth and multiply".

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

You must understand that the whole basis of Christianity is to be a good person to everyone equally: to "love your enemies", NOT to be nicer to members of your own religion, to give them an advantage, rendering Christianity the equivalent of being a member of a wholesale retailer like Makro.

This is a popular misconception. Jesus actually taught that one should favour your fellow believers. In the parable of the sheep and goats he said:

"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me." (Matthew 25:40)

Note "brothers and sisters" not "any total random stranger". Yes, he was keen on not being nasty to anybody, but he wanted his followers primarily to help each other. Unfortunately, the church has distorted this teaching over the centuries and turned the figure of Jesus into some wishy-washy, love-everybody caricature. Gentle Jesus meek and mild he most certainly wasn't.