What Do I Do If I Am Still Owed For Teaching A Course?

I taught an English course at a Bangkok five star hotel through a language company. This company was paid(I checked with the hotel's HRM). The proprietor (Mr. M.F.) of this language company gave me many assurances over the first year of waiting, that the money is forthcoming. However over the last year or so............. nothing! I have since found out that Mr. M. has closed that particular company and opened a new one, which also caters primarily to the hotel and tourism sector. What do I do? Do I publicly shame him and his 'new' company via this and other forums. Or do I just keep emailling and SMS-ing him every month or so, reminding him that he owes me?

I taught an English course at a Bangkok five star hotel through a language company. This company was paid(I checked with the hotel's HRM). The proprietor (Mr. M.F.) of this language company gave me many assurances over the first year of waiting, that the money is forthcoming. However over the last year or so............. nothing! I have since found out that Mr. M. has closed that particular company and opened a new one, which also caters primarily to the hotel and tourism sector. What do I do? Do I publicly shame him and his 'new' company via this and other forums. Or do I just keep emailling and SMS-ing him every month or so, reminding him that he owes me?

You forget about it.

You could take the old company to court - presuming you are squeaky clean yourself & had a work permit at the time of teaching the course, as well as a contract. You'll probably find that the lawyer & court fees far outweigh the amount you are owed, so it's probably not worth the risk. The old company may not have any assets, so even if you win - can the company pay ?

If you publically shame him or his new company, you are likely to be comitting the equivalent of slander - which is a criminal offence in this country.

Is it worth it ?

Pedro

Unfortunately, I suspect that Pedro is right, forget it :o

You should inform the hotel that you've still not been paid, they may take pity on you, if you don't ask you won't get.

They may also refuse to use Mr M's new company (and tell other class hotels in the area what he did).

Worth a shot, like I said, if you don't ask you won't get.

First get the help of a Thai person if you can't speak Thai.

Go to the police station and pick up an intial form for suing.

Take this to Mr Mother Focker to show him you mean business.

Sue him for inconvenience and also court and legal costs.

He will surely pay up.

Unfortunately, I suspect that Pedro is right, forget it :o

You should inform the hotel that you've still not been paid, they may take pity on you, if you don't ask you won't get.

They may also refuse to use Mr M's new company (and tell other class hotels in the area what he did).

Worth a shot, like I said, if you don't ask you won't get.

Thank you for your suggestions.

This last avenue I have considered, as some of my former students from the Master's Degree course I teach at a BKK university, are officers in the police and immigration. By the way Mr. M.F.'s initials are his real initials not a cheap reference to incestuous relationships!

I'm no expert on collecting overdue bills, but the older the unpaid debt is, the less chance you'll collect it. In the future, if would be better to call more often, and visit personally. I had a school that was not sure if they'd pay me for April, when school was closed and I was abroad. I kept showing up every day (70 km round trip), and they finally paid me.

Okay you shouldn't need a lawyer I don't think.

Contact the Labor Dept. if you were totally legal (although the off location work you did was probably not covered)...they're very pro-empoyee so have a chat with them.

Alternatively you can complain to the MoE abuot his school (again if your legal) I've seen this help in the past.

It's not quite as bad (if you're in the right) as the other posters are saying to be honest.

Good luck!!!

Pestering them is a good technique. Send a letter every other day and show up there on the other day. Always be polite and simply ask for what is due. Don't make threats, just making a reminder visit. And ask for a date when they will promise to pay every time you are turned down. Ask them to sign it.

I know it sounds silly, but the squeeky wheel does get the oil.

Edited by paulfr

Pestering them is a good technique. Send a letter every other day and show up there on the other day. Always be polite and simply ask for what is due. Don't make threats, just making a reminder visit. And ask for a date when they will promise to pay every time you are turned down. Ask them to sign it.

I know it sounds silly, but the squeeky wheel does get the oil.

I agree with Paul. Don't forget to smile each and every time, but you'll eventually be successful.

Why is it so, I believe you are not alone with regards to not being paid. I worked for a language company during 2004 and was not paid for approximately 3months corporate work. The man who employed me also had the initials M.F! Two years later and still nothing, as you could probably guess I have kind of given up by now. However I would love to name and shame this guy and hope he does not get the chance do to this to any more innocent teachers!