South African family attacked in Phuket nighttime street

webfact

South African family attacked in Phuket nighttime street
Eakkapop Thongtub

1375185398_1.jpg
One of the Chinese tourists indicates a flat tyre on the rental car.

PHUKET: -- A family of four from South Africa were attacked and beaten by six Thai men early this morning (July 30) as they walked along Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Rd, close to the Aloha Hotel in Patong.

Pol Maj Jakkapong Luang-on of Kathu Police Station said he received a report at 1:45 in the morning that some foreigners were being beaten by Thais.

Arriving at the scene they found a man who gave his name as Bob House, bleeding and asking for help.

“I just ran,” he told bystanders. “They chased me and hit me and I kept running and they kept hitting me.”

Officials themselves had to run after the other three victims, eventually establishing that Mr House was the father, in Phuket with his wife and their son and daughter. During the attack the family had all run in different directions.

All were attacked at some stage, some ending up with bleeding heads or cuts and bruises to the face and body.

After questioning the victims, police learned that the family had been in a shouting match with “a Thai man wearing a red shirt”. He had called friends who took the dispute to the next, physical level.

Kusoldharm Foundation staff took the family to Patong Hospital for treatment.

This afternoon police said that the family had decided to take the matter no further.

The family refused to talk with reporters, and the police were unable to give the reason behind the argument and the subsequent attack.

On the same evening police also had to help a Chinese family of three after two of the tyres on their rented car were let down by someone.

The trio had parked the car on Rat U Thit 200 Pi Rd before going for supper. When they returned they found that the air valves had been removed from two of the tyres.

Police said that they suspected a tuk-tuk or taxi driver had let the air out of the tyres to protest against the tourists parking in "their" parking place.

Letting down or puncturing tyres has been a practice for many decades in Patong as tuk-tuk and taxi drivers, and car rental companies annex public parking spaces for their own private use.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/south-african-family-attacked-in-phuket-nighttime-street-41105.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-07-31

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully I live in Pattaya, you don't get shenanigans like this happening here. coffee1.gif

Seems as tho Phuket has stepped up to the plate and taken the Mantle from Pattaya. Unfortunately where there is a reasonable concentration of tourists the lowlife will congregate. As the tourists find other destinations the problems will follow. Chiangmai is a relatively quite area at the moment but has the potential for change as more tourists come.

• Like 1

The Tuk Tuk/Taxi Drivers have to realise that they don't own the streets and they belong to the public, everyone. I hope the BIB to find the culprits but I doubt it and charge them for interfering with a motor vehicle and theft (air valves)

Thankfully I live in Pattaya, you don't get shenanigans like this happening here. coffee1.gif

Seems as tho Phuket has stepped up to the plate and taken the Mantle from Pattaya. Unfortunately where there is a reasonable concentration of tourists the lowlife will congregate. As the tourists find other destinations the problems will follow. Chiangmai is a relatively quite area at the moment but has the potential for change as more tourists come.

Insightful post, Chooka. I had the same thought not long ago: just how long with CM's relative tranquility last? There are so many tourists there going about their business unhampered, it seems only a matter of time before some degenerate slime see it as a business opportunity.

Then again, maybe things are handled differently in the north. For these same practices to occur in CM, of course the police there would have to be complicit. The police in CM already have a pretty good racket going, maybe then don't want the Pattaya and Phuket type hustlers in the mix.

It's all really quite shameful: Thailand's becoming more and more like Mexico with regard to tourist safety.

• Like 2

“I just ran,” he told bystanders. “They chased me and hit me and I kept running and they kept hitting me.”

Unless they pulled a gun or knife on you, who the hell runs away a leaves their wife n kids in a dangerous situation ??

Gutless beyond belief...

That's a little harsh. It appears they were after the husband not the wife and kids and whilst they were chasing and beating him the family were actually out of harms way. Not every is Van Damme and can single handed take on 4 assailants.

• Like 2

The police should find the taxi/tuk-tuk drivers who let the air out of the tires, confiscate their vehicles and put them to work cleaning the streets for a couple of months. Proceeds from the vehicles are split between charities, police and the Chinese tourists.

Unless they pulled a gun or knife on you, who the hell runs away a leaves their wife n kids in a dangerous situation ??

Gutless beyond belief...

That's a little harsh. It appears they were after the husband not the wife and kids and whilst they were chasing and beating him the family were actually out of harms way. Not every is Van Damme and can single handed take on 4 assailants.

No, the family were beaten too according to the report, maybe you missed that bit ?

He just ran without knowing what was happening !!

I'm not suggesting he take on all the guys but I would at least expect him to make sure his family were ok..

Gutless beyond belief...

No, the family were beaten too according to the report, maybe you missed that bit ?

I'm not suggesting he take on all the guys but I would at least expect him to make sure his family were ok..

The report also says 6 Thai men were involved in the assault. It doesn't say the age of the children or the parents. It doesn't give all the details of how events escalated and the assualt started either.

Go on then, if you were out with your wife and kids and 6 men attacked you what would you advise?

• Like 1

I have been waiting for these predictions on Phukets spiral downwards to come true so it can get back to the way it was 10 years ago but alas it just gets busier and busier. I agree it is certainly not what it was but I doubt it will deter new tavellers as they have no preconceptions of what it was.

• Like 1

Gutless beyond belief...

The report also says 6 Thai men were involved in the assault. It doesn't say the age of the children or the parents. It doesn't give all the details of how events escalated and the assualt started either.

Go on then, if you were out with your wife and kids and 6 men attacked you what would you advise?

I would advise running away as fast as possible... With my family in front of me !!!

Are all victims of crimes required to pose for newspapers by pointing to criminals and/or the damage they have inflicted on the victims. It seems to me this choreographing of victims is another form of victimization. Does the cop get a kickback from the photographer?