South African family attacked in Phuket nighttime street

webfact

Thankfully I live in Pattaya, you don't get shenanigans like this happening here. coffee1.gif

You are joking right?

Um yep.....I was being sarcastic.

Obviously my sad attempt at whimsical sarcasm hasn't come up to the standards necessary to convince some of the TV people all the time, nor indeed all of the TV people some of the time. blink.png

• Like 2

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankfully I live in Pattaya, you don't get shenanigans like this happening here. coffee1.gif

Seems as tho Phuket has stepped up to the plate and taken the Mantle from Pattaya. Unfortunately where there is a reasonable concentration of tourists the lowlife will congregate. As the tourists find other destinations the problems will follow. Chiangmai is a relatively quite area at the moment but has the potential for change as more tourists come.

Don't you know that CM is a very popular tourist destination and sees hundreds-of-thousands of tourists every year?

Yes I do but we don't play spot the Thai when driving around.

Seems as tho Phuket has stepped up to the plate and taken the Mantle from Pattaya. Unfortunately where there is a reasonable concentration of tourists the lowlife will congregate. As the tourists find other destinations the problems will follow. Chiangmai is a relatively quite area at the moment but has the potential for change as more tourists come.

Don't you know that CM is a very popular tourist destination and sees hundreds-of-thousands of tourists every year?

Yes I do but we don't play spot the Thai when driving around.

On Phuket, you can play "spot the honest Thai." :) :)

The Tuk Tuk/Taxi Drivers have to realise that they don't own the streets and they belong to the public, everyone. I hope the BIB to find the culprits but I doubt it and charge them for interfering with a motor vehicle and theft (air valves)

That will be news to them that they don't "own" the streets. The BIB collect the "rent". Phuket is getting some very nasty press worldwide most every day now. People will still go there but there will also be a lot of people who say no thanks. The tuk tuk and jet ski problem could be fixed in one week...IF IF anyone in power had a set of nads rather than having their hand out. Send the BIB home and send in the Thai military to clean it up.

Obviously my sad attempt at whimsical sarcasm hasn't come up to the standards necessary to convince some of the TV people all the time, nor indeed all of the TV people some of the time. blink.png

Not at all sad, but this is Thailand - one gets numbed to subtlety. sad.png

• Like 1

Not at all sad, but this is Thailand - one gets numbed to subtlety. sad.png

There's a song in that!

Seeing as how the SA family are taking the matter no further, i suppose that gets the RTP Phuket off the hook. Any other country and the police would track the culprits down and put them in jail. By not doing this, a clear message is going out to the world that it is not safe to visit Phuket as there is no police protection.

Seeing as how the SA family are taking the matter no further, i suppose that gets the RTP Phuket off the hook. Any other country and the police would track the culprits down and put them in jail. By not doing this, a clear message is going out to the world that it is not safe to visit Phuket as there is no police protection.

Maybe more to the story than that?

Maybe more to the story than that?

Like what, tell us ?

How dare these people come to Thailand on their holiday and spend their money here.

Rent a car and park it. How dare they!

Thailand showed all this lot who's boss, didn't they.

Edited by Salapoo

these tuk tuk scum really do believe they own everything on this Island - Eventually the powers that be will realise how much its affecting Phuket and do something about - but sadly i believe it will be too late by then - Phuket is on a downward spiral with no end in sight.

Cancel all their bloody licences and make everybody re apply, that will be a start to controlling them.

The police should find the taxi/tuk-tuk drivers who let the air out of the tires, confiscate their vehicles and put them to work cleaning the streets for a couple of months. Proceeds from the vehicles are split between charities, police and the Chinese tourists.

Ha Ha Ha ! who is the boss of the taxi association..........none other than the mayors son......say no more!

• Like 1

I have been waiting for these predictions on Phukets spiral downwards to come true so it can get back to the way it was 10 years ago but alas it just gets busier and busier. I agree it is certainly not what it was but I doubt it will deter new tavellers as they have no preconceptions of what it was.

I often warn family and friends in oz about the dangers of Phuket and advise them not to go there, but many are fools and still go. Problem is that the travel companies push the low rate package deals struck with the Low Cost Airlines out of all states.

“I just ran,” he told bystanders. “They chased me and hit me and I kept running and they kept hitting me.”

Unless they pulled a gun or knife on you, who the hell runs away a leaves their wife n kids in a dangerous situation ??

Gutless beyond belief...

That's a little harsh. It appears they were after the husband not the wife and kids and whilst they were chasing and beating him the family were actually out of harms way. Not every is Van Damme and can single handed take on 4 assailants.

No, the family were beaten too according to the report, maybe you missed that bit ?

He just ran without knowing what was happening !!

I'm not suggesting he take on all the guys but I would at least expect him to make sure his family were ok..

The report also says 6 Thai men were involved in the assault. It doesn't say the age of the children or the parents. It doesn't give all the details of how events escalated and the assualt started either.

Go on then, if you were out with your wife and kids and 6 men attacked you what would you advise?

SCATTER ! and that is exactly what they did, that is why the cowardly mob chased the father. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Who started the shouting match, leading to the physical reaction? If it was the foreigner, well, then the same thing could have happened in any other country. But of course, in this forum, it's going to be the Thai who is totally to blame.

If you don't know all the facts, how can you pass any form of judgement?

Six against one ! pretty easy to judge that one mate !

I think the copper in the pic is saying to the Chinese lady with amusement " We know who did it, but don't ask us because we don't know "

Wouldn't be hard to set up a tuk-tuk driver on day. Just have someone nearby playing tourist with a camera and then park on Beach Road.

Make sure it gets onto You Tube before you report it to police. :) :)

Things are definitely getting worse on Phuket but as long as tourists keep coming then I can't see much changing.

Phuket might well suffer through not having many repeat tourists but there appears to be plenty of first-timers from Eastern Europe, China, India etc.

• Like 2

I think the copper in the pic is saying to the Chinese lady with amusement " We know who did it, but don't ask us because we don't know "

Wouldn't be hard to set up a tuk-tuk driver on day. Just have someone nearby playing tourist with a camera and then park on Beach Road.

Make sure it gets onto You Tube before you report it to police. smile.pngsmile.png

Poor advice.

It will have you arrested for tarnishing Thailand's image. :(

Who started the shouting match, leading to the physical reaction? If it was the foreigner, well, then the same thing could have happened in any other country. But of course, in this forum, it's going to be the Thai who is totally to blame.

If you don't know all the facts, how can you pass any form of judgement?

Six against one ! pretty easy to judge that one mate !

They will claim self defence as they normally do.

You are joking right?

Um yep.....I was being sarcastic.

You must understand, Gsxrnz that ''tongue-in-cheek'', "whimsical sarcasm'', and/or having a light hearted comment at another poster are all 'not up to standard, all of the time.sad.png

Why would a tourist with family, want to get in an argument with a Thai?... We shall just stereotype foreign tourists as those who come to Thailand to insult the local population and provoke fist fights. I think the police would support this. And slashing tires and letting the air out is an old, traditional practice. What's wrong with that? Thai police; what can one say about them? Do they bring honour to Thailand?

“I just ran,” he told bystanders. “They chased me and hit me and I kept running and they kept hitting me.”

Unless they pulled a gun or knife on you, who the hell runs away a leaves their wife n kids in a dangerous situation ??

Gutless beyond belief...

Thats rather nasty.

None of the family stood still, they all ran in different directions......you are quite a grub to say such a thing when you were'nt even there.

Yup, but it would be a boring thread if everyone just Thai bashed :)

I have a comment on each of these two incidents: First, I was interested to see the SA family split up--from training, no doubt. Second, I have an old treatment for tuk-tuk, taxi, mctaxi, van, etc. trash. Get a shopping bag from an expensive store, fill it with worthless trash. Hail your driver of choice, go to a busy destination--shopping mall for example, leave the bag on the seat and tell the driver to wait. If you come back and they are still there, pay them. If you come back and they are enraged because you have left them trash--just chuckle and either pay or fight. If you come back and they are gone, smile. I have used this tactic for years all over SEA and in NYC. Smiled a lot more than I paid.

• Like 1