A few tips from me on losing weight

MrHammer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps we could learn a thing or two about healthy eating from the French, who love to eat calorie dense foods:

http://chriskresser.com/health-lessons-from-international-cuisines-france?inf_contact_key=4b471677e9fad4b7d8ac5a653ca94d2855cdfc8bad7dc857cdfeaab1b1b69441

Do you guys feel guilty when tucking into something deliciously fatty - a cake, chocolate, ice cream?

Great topic. It would be even better if weight lifting is explained in more detail smile.png

I think that would be hard, but there are 3 exercises that are good (but you need to do them correct and that usually means that somoene needs to help you)

Squat

Dead-lifts

Benchpesss

For beginners there is the 5 x 5 program from bill star or others However this als depends on your age of course.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm down to around 98.5 kg btw, so now down a total of around 5 kg from my heaviest 4 months ago. Slow and steady wins the race as they say.

It is really mostly mental though and learning to only eat for hunger and not just tastebiggrin.png

Something that does bother me though is that while losing fat comes of the face fast, the stubborn fat on the belly seems to be quite stubborn. Makes it seem like you are not loosing much weight at all. But then you can down on belt size and it is obvious.

I'm down to around 98.5 kg btw, so now down a total of around 5 kg from my heaviest 4 months ago. Slow and steady wins the race as they say.

It is really mostly mental though and learning to only eat for hunger and not just tastebiggrin.png

Something that does bother me though is that while losing fat comes of the face fast, the stubborn fat on the belly seems to be quite stubborn. Makes it seem like you are not loosing much weight at all. But then you can down on belt size and it is obvious.

Where the fat comes from is highly individual though, and varies a lot between male to female. Years ago I had a girlfriend with a well defined 6 pack while still sporting a huge, fat ass.biggrin.png .. and then Asian females often horde fat in the waist.

I highly recommend "Wheat Belly" by William Davis. Quite an eye opener and has helped me lose most of my visceral fat, the really stubborn spare tyre that I accumulated.

Controversial but makes complete sense, the essence of it is, banish wheat in all its forms from your diet and keep an eye on the GI of what you eat. From 103 kilos to 94 in 3 months whilst eating mainly vegetables (not a vegetarian) and loss continuing..and I enjoy a glass of wine or two sometimes.

On the exercise front I think that it is well established now that exercise itself does not lose you weight, but large muscle workouts as suggested by Robblok and not cardio keep your metabolism raised for days rather than the limited effects of cardio. As long as you do something though!! A huge subject best researched and your own path found. Good luck and I am proof that that spare tyre can be got rid of!

On the exercise front I think that it is well established now that exercise itself does not lose you weight, but large muscle workouts as suggested by Robblok and not cardio keep your metabolism raised for days rather than the limited effects of cardio. As long as you do something though!! A huge subject best researched and your own path found. Good luck and I am proof that that spare tyre can be got rid of!

When was this established and by whom?

It's nonsense. Any person who starts exercising with no adjustment to diet will lose fat. It's basic biochemistry. You burn it, you lose it. There's no magic involved.

Perhaps you're suggesting that exercise alone is not the fastest way to lose fat. It's certainly not the easiest way, but it's the best.

If you compared two people who lost say 5kg of fat - one from exercise alone, with no adjustment to diet and one from diet alone with no exercise. I'll put money down that the person exercising will be in much better shape and will continue to lose weight whereas the dieter will put it back on quickly.

The exerciser would also have the added advantage of developing discipline, making it easier to achieve long term weight goals.

BTW, a "spare tire" is subcutaneous fat around the abdomen. Visceral fat is inside the abdominal cavity surrounding the internal organs.

Indeed visceral fat is where you say it is, and is the dangerous fat that is linked with all kinds of health problems. It is necessary to reduce it by diet and exercise best done in tandem. It comes along with a spare tyre, or did with me anyway.

The op mentioned :"don't do cardio, do weight lifting" , Robblok suggested a variety of exercises that were more efficient than cardio for moving stubborn fat. I suggested you at least do some exercise.

I have found that eliminating all whole grains and some other carbs such as rice has reduced my visceral fat considerably, and was passing along that info. Much quicker results than a couple of years of steady cardio workouts week in week out. This is not a diet, per se but a lifestyle alteration in diet.

Also of course high intensity workouts move stuff along even better. Along these lines perhaps:

http://www.poliquingroup.com/Blog/tabid/130/EntryId/1250/Top-Thirty-Tips-to-Lose-Belly-Fat.aspx

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/lose-weight/burn-fat/how-to-incinerate-visceral-fat

a healthy and fit future to you all

A friend of mine went from 106kg to 76kg in 10 weeks last year.

He did this while on holiday in Thailand.

He stopped drinking tea,coffee and three bottles of wine every night and cut out breakfast and lunch.

He only ate one meal a day of mostly veg,noodles and rice plus some Lap Moo.

He drank nothing but water apart from one can of beer every evening.

He spent four hours every day on the golf driving range.

He has put a few kilo's on (3/4) on his couple of trips back to the UK but loses it every time he returns to Thailand.

He has had to spend quite a bit on new clothes as the old stuff no longer fits.

He stopped drinking tea,coffee and three bottles of wine every night and cut out breakfast and lunch.

He only ate one meal a day of mostly veg,noodles and rice plus some Lap Moo.

He drank nothing but water apart from one can of beer every evening.

He spent four hours every day on the golf driving range.

He has put a few kilo's on (3/4) on his couple of trips back to the UK but loses it every time he returns to Thailand.

He has had to spend quite a bit on new clothes as the old stuff no longer fits.

So basically your friend is a typical yo-yo dieter.... and it become easier to increase his weight and more difficult to get it off as he ages.

Indeed visceral fat is where you say it is, and is the dangerous fat that is linked with all kinds of health problems. It is necessary to reduce it by diet and exercise best done in tandem. It comes along with a spare tyre, or did with me anyway.

The op mentioned :"don't do cardio, do weight lifting" , Robblok suggested a variety of exercises that were more efficient than cardio for moving stubborn fat. I suggested you at least do some exercise.

I have found that eliminating all whole grains and some other carbs such as rice has reduced my visceral fat considerably, and was passing along that info. Much quicker results than a couple of years of steady cardio workouts week in week out. This is not a diet, per se but a lifestyle alteration in diet.

Also of course high intensity workouts move stuff along even better. Along these lines perhaps:

http://www.poliquingroup.com/Blog/tabid/130/EntryId/1250/Top-Thirty-Tips-to-Lose-Belly-Fat.aspx

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/lose-weight/burn-fat/how-to-incinerate-visceral-fat

a healthy and fit future to you all

Visceral fat can also come without a spare tire. I've been there...

Insulin resistance or diabetes usually increases visceral fat disproportionately, so cutting out the starchy carbs will be a huge benefit if your body is not processing carbs efficiently.

I just take exception to anyone saying that exercise doesn't work. Yes, using it in conjunction with diet restrictions or alterations is by far the best option, but it can work alone too.

The intensity of the workouts is not so important as the amount of calories expended. The follow on affect of HIIT is highly exaggerated. Why? Because everyone wants to believe you can strip a lot of body fat doing about 10 minutes of exercise 3 times a week. Everyone is looking for the easy way.

When people keep touting the uselessness of exercise for fat reduction, it sends out a bad signal. People will always look for excuses not to exercise.

Edited by tropo

Like the OP, I'm losing about 0.5kg per week (on average for the past 8 weeks).

A couple of month ago, I was worried my weight would need 3 digits to be displayed, and now it is going in the right direction, and think it will be below 90K before end of the year.

Change to my diet:

• No more soda drinks (stopped Coca Cola 6 months ago)
  • More balence diet (more fruit and vegetable)
  • Right quantity (no, you don't need to finish this dish, or to take spaghetti for the 3rd time)

and I regulary exercice (running/cycling), 3-4 times a week.

I don't do calory counting, but educate myself on basic nutricient facts.

Two months ago, I would have told you how much I hate running, and the real pain of forcing myself to go running ... now, I need to force myself to include rest day in the week.

To achieve that, I have build and use a motivation network and set of rewards:

• Friends know when I go running via social networks, and cheers me up.
  • I exercice once a week with the family
  • Everytime I exercice, I will eat a very juicy orange, or two (whole fruit)
  • I track every progress (distance, weight, size, etc ...)
  • Set a challenge: Register in a race to run 10km in about 1Hourish.
  • Ah, Yes, when I go running I smile at people and say hello. Nothing better as a motivator than a smile back from another human being.

Got some friends on low carb diet. They are losing weight and probably faster than me, but I personally won't be able to stop rice and pasta.

Look at this ...

Spaghe-Bolog_793727c.jpg

I don't have the will power to stop carb, and there are questions whether this kind of diet is actually good for you.

So, to summarise:

• I'm more carefull in the quantity and quality of what I eat
  • I burn more calories than I eat
  • I setup a motivation framework

And I forget to mention, I now feel so goood.

There you go. You're doing it the old school way - eating less and exercising.

Now that exercise has become a habit, there's no looking back.

One word of caution.... moderate the amount of exercise you do. Too many people overdo it when they start up then quit either due to injury, over-training or both. Over-training can make you feel really lousy, interfere with sleep and it's worse for you than no exercise at all. Injury will side-line you and you may become depressed. Over-training is training past your ability to recover.

It's common to see newbies down at the gym 7 days a week, then one day you don't see them anymore. Rest is just as important as the exercise. The older you get the more rest you need to recover. With exercise, more is not necessarily better but newbies always seem to think more is better. Don't make it an addiction because when you become emotional about it you stop using common sense.

When you say things like "it's hard to take a day off", it's a sure sign you're becoming addicted. I can recall so many conversations down at the gym over the years such as: "Oh woe is me - I haven't trained for 2 - 3 days" and they look distraught about it, like they've been off for months and have lost all their conditioning. In the long run most of these guys don't get anywhere because they haven't mastered the way to pace themselves properly.

With exercise slowly wins the race.

Think about it. Who's better off?...A guy who develops a solid 3 times a week moderate program which he maintains year in year out, or a guy who canes himself 6 or 7 days a week for several months and then quits due to injury?

Edited by tropo

When you say things like "it's hard to take a day off", it's a sure sign you're becoming addicted. I can recall so many conversations down at the gym over the years such as: "Oh woe is me - I haven't trained for 2 - 3 days" and they look distraught about it, like they've been off for months and have lost all their conditioning. In the long run most of these guys don't get anywhere because they haven't mastered the way to pace themselves properly.

With exercise slowly wins the race.

Think about it. Who's better off?...A guy who develops a solid 3 times a week moderate program which he maintains year in year out, or a guy who canes himself 6 or 7 days a week for several months and then quits due to injury?

Thanks Tropo to point this out. Now, in addition to a weight problem ... I have an addiction problem. Great :-)

Yep, there is a fine line between an healthy habit and a potentially damaging addiction.

I have to agree with Tropo here, overdoing it can hurt. Now he and I are the last to say such a thing as there were times we both exercised like crazy and on all days.

There was a time i worked out 7 days a week (last year) 4-5 weight lifting sessions and the rest rowing sessions. Now that i got to the weight I want I just workout 4 times a week and sometimes a day more sometimes a day less. In the end its all about keeping it up if you can't do that you have lost.

Keeping it up for a long period always wins, i think most gym rats have had periods where they did not or train at all or worked out less. Thing is getting back int he saddle then. Anyway I really wish you all the luck in the world and your doing it the right way most people can attest to that.

I came across this video the other day and I found it quite interesting. Alton Brown on how he lost quite a bit of weight. I like his 4 list approach. Very simple, no calorie counting. He doesn't mention an exercise program however it would make sense to undertake one.

I always remember reading somewhere you can solve your entire weight problem with four words, Eat less, move more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydeBWsG9Jyk

Great post but I disagree with the cardio part. I run 6 times a week (40 Miles+) and whilst not built like a Kenyan Marathon runner, I can eat a fair bit as I burn about 100 calories per Mile. I still do try and make smart food choices but as I never eat fast food and get a lot of my carbs from veggies, salad, and fruit, I am not doing too badly. I can even have the odd beer or 3burp.gif

That's 40 kg

That's 4 kg a week every week

That's possible?

EDIT ...

As hano points out overpage ... it's actually 30 kilos ... w00t.gif

So that's 3 kg a week

Edited by David48

BTW ... I tip my hat to the guys who try and fail and try again and are partly successful, and try again and succeed and live a lighter healthier life in Thailand ... wai.gif

Power to the lot of you ... and me ... facepalm.gif

I've got a lazy 10kgs that have been hitch-hiking a little to long for my liking.

That's 40 kg

That's 4 kg a week every week

That's possible?

Ehhh, that's 30 kilos. Still unhealthy and not the right way to diet. As far as I know, a pound a week is considered healthy and sustainable; this guy is going to come back like a Yo-yo.

• Like 1

Here is what regular exercice does to me:

Running/Jogging 2-3 times a week for 30 to 60 mins.

attachicon.gifFAT2FIT.png

I will soon write a book on "how I did it: 'Put one foot in front of the other.'" :-)

Disclaimer: Your mileage may vary ...

Of course the exercise is healthy, but calorie restriction is what did it for you. The running increased the deficit.

I certainly wouldn't recommend running as the first choice for older people weighing over 200 lbs. There's far better choices much healthier for joints.

Edited by tropo

• 2 weeks later...

This Herbal tea works for me. I have tried many products in my life. I mean many.

This Fitne Tea will empty your stomach. Comes in many types and packs even in coffee. tea works best for me.

(I'm not trying to sell it or anything, just giving my option helping a fellow out)

Try it, eat healthy, exercise and check your weight on the scale"It will do" thumbsup.gif"Lose wight is not the real issue, keeping that long desired weight is the real problem"

post-182659-0-87914400-1381329702_thumb.

Fitne tea relies a lot on LAXATIVES. Getting dependent on laxatives is very unhealthy. What it means is your system can't process food normally any more and you need higher and higher does of laxatives not to be constipated. If you go off the laxatives, your system won't be used to normal function. In other words: DAMAGE.

Personally, I would strongly caution anyone from going into any kind of long term use of laxatives for weight loss. Save the laxatives for the times when you really need them for an acute problem of constipation.

Yes it is true that Fitne Tea is popular with Thai people but they mostly use it for SHORT TERM weight loss (and just because it's popular doesn't make it something that would good for YOUR health). Skin whiteners are also popular with Thai people. ('Nuff said?)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2