A few tips from me on losing weight

MrHammer

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said for me there must be something to improve.. because moving the same weight all the time gets boring especially if no body changes.

Brain, perhaps?

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

I am always improving my brain, i have to as i give fiscal advice among other things. So i need to stay updated and read the current fiscal themes. I also keep building and expanding on my company so the part of brain activity is covered. Same actually for training and food knowledge i keep reading and trying.

But staying stagnant at something is not something i am good at.

As I said for me there must be something to improve.. because moving the same weight all the time gets boring especially if no body changes.

Can you imagine your running times staying the same all the time no more improvement and you know its going to stay like that or worse yet.. going down with age.

Its hard to keep motivated then.

Agree with the need to find a new motivation. At some point of time, the PB is not going to be beaten ... in any of the race.

And before, there will be an equilibrium between the effort required to increase performance, the actual improvement and the will to do it, a ratio pain/endorphins that will no longer work smile.png

So, the motivation needs to change, with or without the need to change the physical activitiy.

How about shifting the motivation from a performance focus to a social aspect?

This is certainly a problem with more than one solution.

What really kept me motivated to finish my first 10km race ... wub.png the pretty ladies in shorts wub.png 55555!

Can you imagine your running times staying the same all the time no more improvement and you know its going to stay like that or worse yet.. going down with age.

Agree with the need to find a new motivation. At some point of time, the PB is not going to be beaten ... in any of the race.

And before, there will be an equilibrium between the effort required to increase performance, the actual improvement and the will to do it, a ratio pain/endorphins that will no longer work smile.png

So, the motivation needs to change, with or without the need to change the physical activitiy.

How about shifting the motivation from a performance focus to a social aspect?

This is certainly a problem with more than one solution.

What really kept me motivated to finish my first 10km race ... wub.png the pretty ladies in shorts wub.png 55555!

Yes motivation has to change still looking what i will choose.. but I am ok right now.

Social aspect will be hard for me as i train in my own gym at home and that is actually quite good and a convenience.

Agree with the need to find a new motivation.

I don't. The same ol' motivation of staying fit works just fine. Me, I have no need at all to posture and attempt to impress anyone. Why wear a hair shirt when you don't have to?

Since I work out at home, I just watch videos while I work out. The time passes quickly; it's all quite pleasant. My goal is more often just to finish a particular TV series. Right now I'm watching The Wire again and looking forward to the last couple of episodes of Season 2.

And so I just continue looking & feeling good year after year, my numbers all good, no meds needed. And no injuries. smile.png

I enjoy so many other aspects of my life; exercise is but one one of them and hardly an end in itself.

Agree with the need to find a new motivation.

I don't. The same ol' motivation of staying fit works just fine. Me, I have no need at all to posture and attempt to impress anyone. Why wear a hair shirt when you don't have to?

Since I work out at home, I just watch videos while I work out. The time passes quickly; it's all quite pleasant. My goal is more often just to finish a particular TV series. Right now I'm watching The Wire again and looking forward to the last couple of episodes of Season 2.

And so I just continue looking & feeling good year after year, my numbers all good, no meds needed. And no injuries. smile.png

I enjoy so many other aspects of my life; exercise is but one one of them and hardly an end in itself.

We are all different.. some of us are goal driven and set goals others just let their life pass without goals and such.

I train at home too.. nobody to impress but myself, but i need a goal to work towards. Staying the same is not a motivating goal to me.

Latest update on my weight management:

post-308-0-80074400-1392342017.png

Some numbers:

• Weight
    • Top weight was 96-97kg for 180 cm
    • Lowest weight this week: 84kg
    • Losing 1.5/1.75 kg per month on average
  • 6 months ago bought a pair of new running shoes (2,850 THB) - Best investment ever
  • Ran 675km since
  • Goals:
    • Below 80kg by June
    • Running (and finishing) a marathon in 2014
    • Learn to cook

post-308-0-80074400-1392342017_thumb.png

• Like 1

Nice weight loss.. so your goal is below 80 nice. I am your height but I am at the end of my weight loss probably a totally different build from you. My bodyfat is around 10% . Quite low.. now i just want some extra muscle.. also hard as I am probably at the top end of what can be done naturally. Not too interested in heavy steroid cycles.

We all need goals.. i bought loads of gym stuff and spend some money on supplements (to find out what ones work) and some do work indeed but just a few and no magic.

I am still thinking if i should exercise now.. as i missed a session yesterday.. bit compulsive crazy. But that can happen to people who have been overweight and never want to go back.

Nice weight loss.. so your goal is below 80 nice. I am your height but I am at the end of my weight loss probably a totally different build from you. My bodyfat is around 10% . Quite low.. now i just want some extra muscle.. also hard as I am probably at the top end of what can be done naturally. Not too interested in heavy steroid cycles.

We all need goals.. i bought loads of gym stuff and spend some money on supplements (to find out what ones work) and some do work indeed but just a few and no magic.

I am still thinking if i should exercise now.. as i missed a session yesterday.. bit compulsive crazy. But that can happen to people who have been overweight and never want to go back.

I spent 700bh on some wicking sports shorts and shirts from Tesco (they really work).

And $135 on some top brand trail running shoes.

That will last me for a year, running up to Wat Doi Suthep and back again, completely free.

Yep, totally compulsive, been out 6x in the last week, including this morning.

Edited by FiftyTwo

I spent 700bh on some wicking sports shorts and shirts from Tesco (they really work).

That will last me for a year, running up to Wat Doi Suthep and back again, completely free.

yes shorts are really recommended.....too much troubles running without laugh.png

Good gym equipment can have quite a high resale value plus it certainly outlives your sport shoes by a factor 10. So its is just what do you like to spend on.

Supplements different story usually expensive and not much works.. but it can help in certain sports.

But at least you got some good shoes.. i feel that its important to have good equipment in work and sports.

The most difficult part of a diet is to avoid foods that we like very much and we known that are not good if we want to lose weight, specially breads, pastas, potatoes, chips, fried meats, cheese, sausages, salamis, sodas and beer......but..we can get help from our own body.

The animal body is conditioned to stay healthy just with the kind of food that is typical or available for the specie. That's why horses do not eat meat and cats do not eat veggies....We, humans, created the "options", and we eats everything, good and bad for our body. And we not only get fat , we get sick doing that. That's the problems, but, conditioning our body to just eat what it is good and healthy can be easy. Why? After certain time eating just what it is good...our body will REJECT naturally what is not good...

On that fact, was created the Hopskin diet to avoid carbs. That is just an example, and works. You can use the example for ANY kind of foods. If you avoid certain food or liquid for a long time, your body will react bad if you do it again, with diarrhea, pain, nausea, etc...After a while, our body will even eliminated the desire for that kind of foods or liquids.

Exercise?....the best one is just a long daily walk with a partner every day on a relaxing site, following with few minutes of deep meditation...

The most difficult part of a diet is to avoid foods that we like very much and we known that are not good if we want to lose weight, specially breads, pastas, potatoes, chips, fried meats, cheese, sausages, salamis, sodas and beer......but..we can get help from our own body.

The animal body is conditioned to stay healthy just with the kind of food that is typical or available for the specie. That's why horses do not eat meat and cats do not eat veggies....We, humans, created the "options", and we eats everything, good and bad for our body. And we not only get fat , we get sick doing that. That's the problems, but, conditioning our body to just eat what it is good and healthy can be easy. Why? After certain time eating just what it is good...our body will REJECT naturally what is not good...

On that fact, was created the Hopskin diet to avoid carbs. That is just an example, and works. You can use the example for ANY kind of foods. If you avoid certain food or liquid for a long time, your body will react bad if you do it again, with diarrhea, pain, nausea, etc...After a while, our body will even eliminated the desire for that kind of foods or liquids.

Exercise?....the best one is just a long daily walk with a partner every day on a relaxing site, following with few minutes of deep meditation...

I didn't eat any carbs (beside that little that can be found in carrots and and 2 very small apples per week. And a few tomatoes) for 3 month.

Than I switched to a high carb diet for gaining muscles and no diarrhea, pain, nausea, etc.

I didn't drink any alcohol for 3 month and than 2 liter of apple wine --> I was drunk but no diarrhea, pain, nausea etc....

• 3 months later...

Calories restriction is the worse thing you can do to lose weight.

100 calories of fried chicken does not equal to 100 cal of broccolis

It's what you eat, not how much cal you eat.

I eat 2500/3000 cal a day, no exercise, and had lost 20 pounds in 8 months.

Calories restriction is the worse thing you can do to lose weight.

100 calories of fried chicken does not equal to 100 cal of broccolis

It's what you eat, not how much cal you eat.

I eat 2500/3000 cal a day, no exercise, and had lost 20 pounds in 8 months.

But calorie restrictions, while unpleasant (hungry) do work as well.

Of course changing what you eat is easier. I bet for someone who is very overweight it would already cause some drop in weight if he/she only eats food cooked him/herself without anything preprocessed.

Cutting out Pizza Company, KFC, McDonalds, Coke, etc....

• A protein calorie is NOT the same as a carbohydrate calorie.

• The thermic effect of different macronutrients varies just as the thermic effect of processed foods is much less than of whole foods.

• Macronutrient ratios will determine hormone response.

• The total amount of calories you eat in a day DO matter for body composition—if you are overeating, you will gain weight, but whether that weight results in fat or muscle gain depends on macronutrient ratios.

• If you aren’t overeating, simply altering the macronutrient ratios to manage insulin and the hormone response of food can lead to fat loss and significantly improve body composition.