Thailand and the Vietnam War

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a Troposcatter Rradio shot to a place called Green Hill near Sattahip in Thailand.

I didn't work in the tropo van, but with the local microwave link to Saigon.

But I do know there were U.S. Army communicators stationed in Thailand near Sattahip in 1966, and probably sooner than that (1963 I'll guess).

Green Hills was and still is located up on the mountain at Khao Yai National Park. Site is still active. Back then tourists could not past a gate which was near the Round House restaurant. Today you can go all the way to the top but not past the guard gate.

I made and left a 50 minute CD with the Park Headquarters, telling the history of the park and what the US Air Forces role was on top of the mountain. If you go there ask for it. Some day I'll post it on YouTube once I figure out how.

I'm Canadian so was not in the Vietnam war. However in the late 80s early 90s I use to stay in a hotel on Suthisarn Road that was oiginally built as officer quarters for the US Army, I just wondered if any members stayed there?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 usi Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It certainly does, okay I'll post this as the death of JFK had a great bearing on the US. Recollections from Texas Governor John Connally.

I don't want us to get into a debate about JFK and the conspiracies, however I feel we need some background as to what was going on in Washington.

Thanyaburimac, I have friends fathers here in Australia who served in Vietnam. 1 in particular has real trouble with Asians in general since the war particularly the Vietnamese here in Australia, let alone living in SE Asia. Now I assume you live in Thailand mac?I'm curious, What made you come to the decision to live there? I know Thailand isn't Vietnam and war affects everyone differently, but I would of thought living far away as possible from the place that would seem to remind you of the war and I know Thailand was an r and r location, to me it seems like the last place I would want to live besides Vietnam itself. Doesn't it remind you of the war?

In fact this question I'd like to put out there to anyone that is in the same situation...

Issan George

Perhaps the Capital Hotel there at Suphan Kwai on Pholyothin Road??

Krisb

"Remind me of the war"?? Well, yes, but that's OK. I wasn't a grunt, but my hats off to those who were. FYI, there were over 1,400 Americans, mostly USAF, who were based in Thailand and KIA over Laos or Vietnam, so the troops in Thailand also participated in the effort.

Mac

A few years ago there was a good 8mm film clip on utube in black and white taken in a bar somewhere in Thailand by a American GI there was no commentary as such but you could hear the Supremes belting out there latest hits from the jukebox and all the Thai ladies looking like them.

Sadly i cant find it now.

Thanyaburimac, I have friends fathers here in Australia who served in Vietnam. 1 in particular has real trouble with Asians in general since the war particularly the Vietnamese here in Australia, let alone living in SE Asia. Now I assume you live in Thailand mac?I'm curious, What made you come to the decision to live there? I know Thailand isn't Vietnam and war affects everyone differently, but I would of thought living far away as possible from the place that would seem to remind you of the war and I know Thailand was an r and r location, to me it seems like the last place I would want to live besides Vietnam itself. Doesn't it remind you of the war?

In fact this question I'd like to put out there to anyone that is in the same situation...

Letting go of the past is the only way to enjoy what is going on right now. Just because something was true then doesnt mean it is true now. Wouldnt the best way to "win" to be to turn your attention to something productive now?

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).

I always admired The LURPS often wondered if i had the Balls to be one.coffee1.gif

A little background info on LURPS, Long Range Reconnaissance Patrols.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa/hotshot478/Lurps.html

Yes i know a fair bit about Nam,i was in Fly Town at the time,and a few months here in Ubon Rat. Not being an American but involved in Nam,the Clusterfuk of classing Lurps with Rangers pissed me off. No Diss to Rangers, even they didnt like it.

Letting go of the past is the only way to enjoy what is going on right now. Just because something was true then doesnt mean it is true now. Wouldnt the best way to "win" to be to turn your attention to something productive now?

"...the 2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app (Galaxy Note 2).

I appreciate the way you think. I think good men like my mates Dad would not be able to agree sadly through no fault of his own. I know he had the awful job of being a true frontliner, his job was to locate and disarm enemy explosives, bombs, booby traps etc. It gives me chills. He was affected by not only these dangers but also chemical spraying aka agent orange and who knows what else. He does talk about what went on there occasionally , I enjoy listening and in a way I think it does him good telling his story.Sadly yet sadly understandably he has real trouble with any Asians today. Funny bit is after the war, the Australian government took in lots of Vietnamese war refugees and his suburb number 1 in Adelaide Australia. I think there's many who can accept, but many never will I suppose life's just not long enough to forget some things. Anyhow enough from me...

OP: As the Thai Armed Forces suffered 1,351 deaths during the Vietnam War, are you able to locate an video or photos of their combat operations as I cannot locate any content.

From Wikipedia. Thailand was more involved with the Secret War and covert operations in Laos from 1964 to 1972. By 1975 relations between Bangkok and Washington has soured, and in 1977 President James Earl Carter withdrew all U.S. military personnel and the bases were closed.

Archived