Thailand and the Vietnam War

The short clip about the boat cruise through Bangkok is very nostalgic. In 1967 a Thai friend hired a boat for a couple of hours and, among other places, we cruised to Wat Arun which I climbed to the top. Nowadays you're not permitted to do such things.

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

simple1: FYI The Royal Thai Air Force had a unit stationed at Tan Son Nhut Air Base in Saigon. Their staff sometimes helped us with translations for MACV which was amazing considering how much work the translations took. We just dropped off the Thai copy and went back a few days later to pick up the English copy. They never asked for nor accepted any compensation.

For all you aircraft buffs out there, have a listen to this.......the sound of the majestic B-52D taking off......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPASv4GIRw4

An extensive documentary about B-52 operations from Thailand.....

We should remember that US operations were only allowed in Thailand on the basis that returning planes carried no live munitions. It is for this reason that Laos and in particular, the Plain of Jars, is the most heavily bombed areas on the planet as returning US planes offloaded their bombs before landing.

"We should remember that US operations were only allowed in Thailand on the basis that returning planes carried no live munitions. It is for this reason that Laos and in particular, the Plain of Jars, is the most heavily bombed areas on the planet as returning US planes offloaded their bombs before landing."

I didn't know that.

Thanks chiang mai.

Were planes leaving Thailand able to carry live munitions? I presume not. I'm struggling with the logistics.

OP: As the Thai Armed Forces suffered 1,351 deaths during the Vietnam War, are you able to locate an video or photos of their combat operations as I cannot locate any content.

From Wikipedia. Thailand was more involved with the Secret War and covert operations in Laos from 1964 to 1972. By 1975 relations between Bangkok and Washington has soured, and in 1977 President James Earl Carter withdrew all U.S. military personnel and the bases were closed.

Here's several videos that deal with the Battle of Long Tan among others. Forgive me I haven't watched them yet, I'm posting these blind.

Go into that video first and a play list of the others should appear.

If you can't find it let me know, there are 21 videos in this series alone.

OP: As the Thai Armed Forces suffered 1,351 deaths during the Vietnam War, are you able to locate an video or photos of their combat operations as I cannot locate any content.

From Wikipedia. Thailand was more involved with the Secret War and covert operations in Laos from 1964 to 1972. By 1975 relations between Bangkok and Washington has soured, and in 1977 President James Earl Carter withdrew all U.S. military personnel and the bases were closed.

Here's several videos that deal with the Battle of Long Tan among others. Forgive me I haven't watched them yet, I'm posting these blind.

Go into that video first and a play list of the others should appear.

If you can't find it let me know, there are 21 videos in this series alone.

I'll let you know TB when I've viewed all the videos you've posted plus these extra 21.

I reckon I'll be in touch around February 2018.

Should be around about the time we see some serious US military action against those boyz from Beijing.

"We should remember that US operations were only allowed in Thailand on the basis that returning planes carried no live munitions. It is for this reason that Laos and in particular, the Plain of Jars, is the most heavily bombed areas on the planet as returning US planes offloaded their bombs before landing."

I didn't know that.

Thanks chiang mai.

Were planes leaving Thailand able to carry live munitions? I presume not. I'm struggling with the logistics.

During the Vietnam War, about 80% of all USAF air strikes over North Vietnam originated from air bases in Thailand. At its peak in 1969 a greater number of Airmen were serving in Thailand than were serving in South Vietnam. US forces also utilised carpet bombing.

Laos and Cambodia (secret wars) were also bombed by the US; more detail at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Menu

I didn't know that.

Thanks chiang mai.

Oddly yes they were, presumably the munitions were either brought into the country in the first place by ship or were purchased in Thailand, dunno.

I didn't know that.

Thanks chiang mai.

During the Vietnam War, about 80% of all USAF air strikes over North Vietnam originated from air bases in Thailand. At its peak in 1969 a greater number of Airmen were serving in Thailand than were serving in South Vietnam. US forces also utilised carpet bombing.

Laos and Cambodia (secret wars) were also bombed by the US; more detail at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Menu

Not forgetting that estimates for the number of North Vietnamese civilian deaths resulting from US bombing range from 50,000-65,000

Yup there are hours of footage up already.

Sorry. sad.png

Not a problem TB.

Next big one will make VietNam look like a game of mahjong in an opium den.

You are aware that total deaths during the Vietnam war on all sides of the conflict is estimated at somewhere around 3/4 million deaths, some estimates are up to 5 million deaths, this excludes Laos & Cambodia.

The battle of Long Tan is well known here in Australia. It was a true gun fight with Australians heavily out numbered. There is more than 1 documentary and I think by memory a movie? Several vets returned there and explained what happened. It was jaw droppingly scary stuff. RIP to those Anzacs.

Yup there are hours of footage up already.

Sorry. sad.png

Not a problem TB.

Next big one will make VietNam look like a game of mahjong in an opium den.

You are aware that total deaths during the Vietnam war on all sides of the conflict is estimated at somewhere around 3/4 million deaths, some estimates are up to 5 million deaths, this excludes Laos & Cambodia.

Yes. Inappropriate comment on my part on this thread.

Sorry for any offence to anybody.

Check out this book:

No Need for Heroes: The Aussies who Discovered the Viet Cong’s Secret Tunnels.
McGregor, Sandy.
Had lunch with Sandy a couple years back at Future Park.
Also check out the NGO he's heavily involved in: http://www.mivac.org/
They're doing some good works in Laos, now up in Phou Kout District of Xieng Khouang Province.
Mac

Thanks for that link Mac, I suggest we all take a look at that if only to understand what's still going on in the background.

Coming back to the Thai involvement in the war, it's recognized that Thailand got an infrastructure and economic boost from the US involvement. Money flowed throughout many regions of the country, however the great unknown is did the fact that Thailand became an ally encourage enemy forces to raise communist sympathies in the country? Or was it going to happen anyway?

These insurgencies went on for years and effectively made parts of Thailand ungovernable. If any member would like to add they're knowledge to this aspect of the impact on Thailand that would be great. I don't know enough about it.

I found the book, The Ideal Man: The Tragedy of Jim Thompson and the American Way of War, to be an interesting, solid read. It explores some of those questions by theblether on the infrastructure changes in Thailand brought on by the war, as well as telling the story of an interesting and ultimately sad Jim Thompson.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470086211/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TB: there's a series of old and disused militia/insurgent camps sited on top of mountains in Petchabun province that have been preserved and are now tourist attractions, most are only accessible by climbing the steps that have been carved out of the mountainside, often they are little more than steps hacked out of deep red clay and it's a real workout getting to the top. Not only does it make for some A1 exersise but the view from the top is exhilerating, the trenches and the gun emplacements (complete with guns) remain.

TB: there's a series of old and disused militia/insurgent camps sited on top of mountains in Petchabun province that have been preserved and are now tourist attractions, most are only accessible by climbing the steps that have been carved out of the mountainside, often they are little more than steps hacked out of deep red clay and it's a real workout getting to the top. Not only does it make for some A1 exersise but the view from the top is exhilerating, the trenches and the gun emplacements (complete with guns) remain.

Can you give me map reference please chiang mai I am in that vicinity?

I have heard about the communist strongholds in Phetchabun province on the road to Phitsanulock.

I have heard about the communist strongholds in Phetchabun province on the road to Phitsanulock.

I'm afraid I can't, it's been at least ten years since I was over that way but the locals will certainly know. The fortifications are all contained in what are now state/national parks and not that far from Petchabun itself, sorry I can't be more helpful, I suspect a map of state parks might be a good starting point.

EDIT: I found two pictures that I took at the time, perhaps the distance shot will give you a clue:

post-35940-0-97167300-1375602611_thumb.jpost-35940-0-61167100-1375602623_thumb.j

I'm afraid I can't, it's been at least ten years since I was over that way but the locals will certainly know. The fortifications are all contained in what are now state/national parks and not that far from Petchabun itself, sorry I can't be more helpful, I suspect a map of state parks might be a good starting point.

EDIT: I found two pictures that I took at the time, perhaps the distance shot will give you a clue:

attachicon.gifP4120293.JPGattachicon.gifP4120279.JPG

Many thanks. Khao Kho. Above The King's Palace which you can see down the mountainside.

Issan George

Perhaps the Capital Hotel there at Suphan Kwai on Pholyothin Road??

Krisb

"Remind me of the war"??  Well, yes, but that's OK.  I wasn't a grunt, but my hats off to those who were.  FYI, there were over 1,400 Americans, mostly USAF, who were based in Thailand and KIA over Laos or Vietnam, so the troops in Thailand also participated in the effort.

Mac

Mac, it was down Suthisarn a bit. Soi 4, at the time I stayed there it was called PO Court. It had a very large swimming pool. It is gone now, torn down five or six years ago.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There was a commonwealth operation ,running in Thailand from 63 to 68, comprising of English units, Australian, and new Zealand troops, main job was to build an airfield north of Ubon for the thai government,although it supposedly had nothing to do with Vietnam, after 67 the airfield was regularly used by air America, I hope these pictures work

post-11182-0-75723400-1375604362_thumb.j

post-11182-0-67174100-1375604479.jpg

Archived