Thailand and the Vietnam War

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fish

Bing, or Bob?? And who's the guy on the left in the Bob photo?

Found the interview with her, she's aged a tad....

Mac

She's at least 75 now, smokes and drinks a little too much. But what a character.

The story is that she knew Bob Hope from his frequent visits to Thailand (proper playboy) and was introduced to Bing Crosby. They really fell for each other. She told me she'd been to the US at that time so I can only assume that it was with Bing, altho I may be wrong there. As Bing was married, one of Bing's sons paid a visit and told her not to continue the relationship.

I heard a story that when Bob Hope used to visit ''Nam'' to entertain the troops he would always insist on spending time in Bangkok on the way back where he was apparently a very naughty boy. A top quality swordsman by all accounts.

Years ago, I was in Bkk, in the Sukhumvit area, stopped in one of the soi...a Thai restaurant that served pizza and whose picture is on the wall with a Thai babe circa 1960...thanks for the memories..

However, it was an innocent photo ?

Mama-Noi2.jpg

This one? Its at Check Inn in Nana

Actually it was in Black and White.. maybe even older than the 60s.. the women was wearing cat eye glasses.. Quite tame by the photo you posted... Have not been in BKK for a while, and I'm sure with all the construction.. the place is gone.. But.. thanks for the memories.. right on.

post-7852-0-65731600-1437167785_thumb.jp

• 5 months later...

Hello Everyone, Have been living now in CM for 7 yrs. However, I served in the USAF in Khorat 73-74. I came back as a civilian and lived here 75-78. Now that I'm retired I'm working on a book which is a compilation of short stories based on my experiences during those yrs. One of the stories is about a trip I made to Vientiane. I am curious to know if there are any expats living here that were affiliated with CIA and/or Air America during the secret war, perhaps living in the Udon area. As part of my research I'm considering a trip over to Udon. Any information or leads would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2016 at 11:28 PM, tavaughn said:

Hello Everyone, Have been living now in CM for 7 yrs. However, I served in the USAF in Khorat 73-74. I came back as a civilian and lived here 75-78. Now that I'm retired I'm working on a book which is a compilation of short stories based on my experiences during those yrs. One of the stories is about a trip I made to Vientiane. I am curious to know if there are any expats living here that were affiliated with CIA and/or Air America during the secret war, perhaps living in the Udon area. As part of my research I'm considering a trip over to Udon. Any information or leads would be appreciated. Thanks.

You might also be served with people at Naknon Phanom. There were many clandestine operations working from that base. For starters, some of the first drone operations or computerized ground surveillance. You do the research, I was stationed there 69-70. I shared some on this with others.

You also seem to be missing the biggest scandal, Operation Menu and the other off the record illegal massive bombing drops from U-Tapao into Cambodia and Laos. I was there, too, 71-72. Makes Air America, seem like small arms fire. Though it does seem so intriguing. Air America was a Sideshow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2017 at 3:32 AM, Kim1950 said:

You might also be served with people at Naknon Phanom. There were many clandestine operations working from that base. For starters, some of the first drone operations or computerized ground surveillance. You do the research, I was stationed there 69-70. I shared some on this with others.

You also seem to be missing the biggest scandal, Operation Menu and the other off the record illegal massive bombing drops from U-Tapao into Cambodia and Laos. I was there, too, 71-72. Makes Air America, seem like small arms fire. Though it does seem so intriguing. Air America was a Sideshow.

I recall that SAC's Operation Menu strikes were initially flown out of Anderson in Guam. Were any of the U-Tapao based aircraft involved in later raids?

The covert bombing of Cambodia was actually titularly labeled sideshow in William Shawcross's comprehensive narrative.

I am pretty sure that the surviving Ravens that flew out of Long Tieng are more reticent in publicly recalling their part in the SE Asia conflict but their contributions flying their Bird dogs shouldn't be labeled as any less significant than SAC's flying their Buffs.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I recall that SAC's Operation Menu strikes were initially flown out of Anderson in Guam. Were any of the U-Tapao based aircraft involved in later raids?

The covert bombing of Cambodia was actually titularly labeled sideshow in William Shawcross's comprehensive narrative.

I am pretty sure that the surviving Ravens that flew out of Long Tieng are more reticent in publicly recalling their part in the SE Asia conflict but their contributions flying their Bird dogs shouldn't be labeled as any less significant than SAC's flying their Buffs.

There were different 'heavy' bombing campaigns. Though most of the Operation Menu campaigns were flown from U-Tapao. It was significantly closer to Cambodia. Some other campaigns were over North Vietnam. During my time there, three B-52's, a cell, flew bombing missions every 45 minutes, all day, everyday. Operation Menu was not very effective it destroyed rural agricultural farming areas, fostering discontent among these people, who later aligned with the Khmer Rouge. 

Even after bombing was stopped by Congress, they still bombed Cambodia, trying to prevent the governments collapse. We also were bombing Laos. Actually, much of over early involvement in the war began in Laos.

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Reminds me of this song that was a global hit.....would the veterans consider that it well resumed the context?

Don't understand your comment. And for sure no Global Hit. Besides, since that war I have been and stayed in Thailand many times on businesses, so my thoughts are not some older man's dreams of a re-imagined young man. You might ask that question to those young men  who visit Thailand today for their dreams or fantasies.

I do belong to a veterans PTSD peer group at a VA, nobody there celebrates our involvement in that war. We were all young, we were engulfed in the system for all sorts of reasons or none. That doesn't mean some of us did not find love for the cultures and people. By the way, through war, exploration, or business, more so for business today, that's the way it's been through history. Some stay, others travel to the next horizon.

8 hours ago, Kim1950 said:

Don't understand your comment. And for sure no Global Hit. Besides, since that war I have been and stayed in Thailand many times on businesses, so my thoughts are not some older man's dreams of a re-imagined young man. You might ask that question to those young men  who visit Thailand today for their dreams or fantasies.

I do belong to a veterans PTSD peer group at a VA, nobody there celebrates our involvement in that war. We were all young, we were engulfed in the system for all sorts of reasons or none. That doesn't mean some of us did not find love for the cultures and people. By the way, through war, exploration, or business, more so for business today, that's the way it's been through history. Some stay, others travel to the next horizon.

OK as you did not understand I hope by explaining you will...my point was as I was to young in the Vietnam war era, on hearing the song that is posted, I was just wondering if the words of the song resumed the situation in that era?..Nothing more and there is no intrigue whatsoever in my question that basically is quite simple.

7 hours ago, observer90210 said:

OK as you did not understand I hope by explaining you will...my point was as I was to young in the Vietnam war era, on hearing the song that is posted, I was just wondering if the words of the song resumed the situation in that era?..Nothing more and there is no intrigue whatsoever in my question that basically is quite simple.

Vietnam vets are of a different generation who would find that song without musical merit.  I doubt if any would listen to it.  I could only take 20 seconds. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2017 at 3:32 AM, Kim1950 said:

Any links ,  with  American  base in Nakhon  Phanom, would be very much appreciated .

During the  last 8 years, NKP has  developed rapidly , with Big C , Tesco , etc .

What it would have been like in the seventies ,it must have been a cultural shock ,

for both American  service men , and the  local Thai people .

21 hours ago, elliss said:

Any links , with  American  base in Nakhon  Phanom, would be very much appreciated .

You can 'Google' Nakhon  Phanom RTAFB and you will find many links.

Like this one: http://aircommandoman.tripod.com/

or this one: http://www.businessinsider.com/long-before-drones-the-us-tried-to-automize-warfare-during-the-vietnam-war-2015-3

James R. Clapper Jr. Ex Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency was commander of Detachment 3, 6994th Security Squadron, Nakhon Phanom Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand.

See below, In '69'  this was The Ho Chi Minh Clock Tower. Many Vietnamese migrated to Nakhon  Phanom while fleeing from the French Indo-China War. I rented a room in a Hotel on the right side of this street and stayed there many nights. One day the owner had a big party in the main room of the Hotel which was his families living space. Big platters of whole fish and hot pots, and Johnny Walker Black. After a while I asked the owner, what was the occasion. He said, they were celebrating Ho Chi Minh's birthday. I am puzzled, He said, we like him and we like you, too. For awhile Ho Chi Minh lived in exile in Nakhon Phanom . 

Image result for clock tower nakhon phanom

Archived