Ever been robbed/burgled in Isaan?...

krisb

Hi, Ive been reading plenty of stories of burglaries, home invasions and other types of robberies in the usual places around Thailand, but what about up in Isaan?

Tell us your stories...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Honda Click was stolen 1 year ago in front of our eyes at our home. Since then we have CCTV.

We did had insurance so we got the money back after a while. We have always someone at our home when we leave the village, even for a short trip.

-richardjm65-

Same, Udon Thani province, we slept and the wooden doors where with crow bars opened,without much noise,I heard nothing.

The intruders even walked over 2 sleeping Teenagers.

I noticed than something and woke up, seeing a towel hanging over the door moving, slightly.

I thought somebody wanted to use the bathroom and had by accident touched the door.

After that I waited for the sound of the toilet flushing, but nothing.

So I got suspicious and opened the light,missed my small bag and woke up my GF.

Disaster, Money, some, Gold, some and some other things gone!

The real culprits where never found, only one Teenager, a bit crazy boy,mentally underdeveloped only a lookout as he said, was caught, when he tried to sale our Mobiles in a kind of pawn shop/

He pretended not to know the main robbers.

Somebody nicked a bunch of bananas from the front of our property.

That was enough for me to want to put up an electric fence. My missus had a more proportionate response by talking to a neighbour who said "pick the bananas while they are still green, that will stop them".

She is doing that - no repition of the offence so far.

Went in together to buy a car with a schoolteacher in Buriram. The agreement was: "I make the down payment, she makes the monthly payment and the car is 50/50." When the relationship didn't work out and I moved back to Bangkok, she says, "I don't want to talk to you!"

6 years - no.

+1

I tell the locals that I'm ex-SASbiggrin.png.

[Aggregate time in Pattaya over 6 years - two months: 2 burglary incidents; one camera from motorbike locked pillion compartment and $400 from room safe]

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

Yes, we got robbed whilst we were in bed and asleep. I half woke when I heard a noise and assumed it was our cats fooling around. Come the morning, my wife found the back door open and close to 200,000B in cash and gold missing. The wooden back door had been forced with a crowbar. Since then, no further problems, but we now have an additional steel outer front door, grills over all windows and a sliding steel grill at the back. We also spray insulated the inside of the roof, so the bastards would have a tough job getting in that way.

Sad, really. I really did not expect this sort of thing in an up-country village.

Trust no-one! Always think about security!

We've also had chickens stolen and the UV lights that my wife rigged to catch insects. Lovely folk, village people.

In any country, if local people get to know that you have that much lying around, or equivalent thereof, there are bound to be problems.

My father in law is often forgetful about closing doors. Have got home many times to see windows or doors open. Never had a problem with theft.

You are quite right. Village people are lovely.

Yes, we got robbed whilst we were in bed and asleep. I half woke when I heard a noise and assumed it was our cats fooling around. Come the morning, my wife found the back door open and close to 200,000B in cash and gold missing. The wooden back door had been forced with a crowbar. Since then, no further problems, but we now have an additional steel outer front door, grills over all windows and a sliding steel grill at the back. We also spray insulated the inside of the roof, so the bastards would have a tough job getting in that way.

Sad, really. I really did not expect this sort of thing in an up-country village.

Trust no-one! Always think about security!

We've also had chickens stolen and the UV lights that my wife rigged to catch insects. Lovely folk, village people.

Been burgled twice and an attempted break-in once. Similar to the above. My wife woke me to say there was a man in the room. I persued him but he was <deleted> fast. Anyways, 2 weeks later we went away to Singapore and came back to my 2 Cocker Spanials poisoned and our safe from the house missing. No valubles in the safe, just documents. The safe was found some days later with contents intact. They don't use crowbars by the way but car tyre levers.

So at least some people have been unfortunately robbed in their homes for several hundred thousand baht in cash -- and then you read elsewhere about the guys who don't trust ATM machines .

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

About 10 years ago we had a break in at my house. At the time we were looking after my BIL who was a paraplegic, unable to walk (he fell out of a coconut tree aged 16 and broke his back). Whilst my wife and I were away in Town shopping a local lad broke into our house. His entry method was to place a plank against the outside wall, shimmy up and then smash a fibro cement panel under the roof. If the stupid bastard had just tried the front door he could have saved himself all that trouble, it was unlocked.

Needless to say he made a great deal of noise doing this. Imagine the poor BIL hearing all this and being unable to investigate. The thief ransacked the bedroom which he had entered, and found the grand total of 50 baht. Deciding to leave the premises via the front room and front door instead of going to the trouble of having to climb back out over the wall.

The BIL was in the front room and or course immediately recognised the intruder, and this is where it could have got really nasty. the BIL being completely helpless all it would have taken would have been a pillow and a couple of minutes to silence him forever. Fortunately the thief decided to make a quick exit.

My invalid BIL had at the time two brothers one of whom at the time was on leave from doing his National Service in the Army.. The brothers were summonsed, and the burglar was identified by the invalid. The brothers went to pay the thief a visit and invited him to take a walk with them. Local Thai justice was administered, in fact they beat him so badly that they were afraid that he might die. The one brother quickly returned to his barracks and the other took a holiday in Bangkok.

He didn't die, and managed to crawl home. He was naturally taken to hospital where he told the authorities that he had fallen off a motor bike. This obviously wasn't true so the Police were called. He stuck to his story so the police didn't pursue it any further.

I never did find out who the culprit was, my wife wouldn't tell me, saying that I should not get involved, and they had sorted it out themselves. Don't even know who paid for repair for the broken wall panel. Probably me,

My kind of justice.Back in the uk we didnt get the cops,a few of us knew the area inside out and did our own investigations,we finished up with a safe enviroments after a few broken knuckles

• Like 1

About 10 years ago we had a break in at my house. At the time we were looking after my BIL who was a paraplegic, unable to walk (he fell out of a coconut tree aged 16 and broke his back). Whilst my wife and I were away in Town shopping a local lad broke into our house. His entry method was to place a plank against the outside wall, shimmy up and then smash a fibro cement panel under the roof. If the stupid bastard had just tried the front door he could have saved himself all that trouble, it was unlocked.

Needless to say he made a great deal of noise doing this. Imagine the poor BIL hearing all this and being unable to investigate. The thief  ransacked the bedroom which he had entered, and found the grand total of 50 baht. Deciding to leave the premises via the front room and front door instead of going to the trouble of having to climb back out over the wall.

The BIL was in the front room and or course immediately recognised the intruder, and this is where it could have got really nasty. the BIL being completely helpless all it would have taken would have been a pillow and a couple of minutes to silence him forever. Fortunately the thief decided to make a quick exit.

My invalid BIL had at the time two brothers one of whom at the time was on leave from doing his National Service in the Army.. The brothers were summonsed, and the burglar was identified by the invalid. The brothers went to pay the thief a visit and invited him to take a walk with them. Local Thai justice was administered, in fact they beat him so badly that they were afraid that he might die. The one brother quickly returned to his barracks and the other took a holiday in Bangkok.

He didn't die, and managed to crawl home. He was naturally taken to hospital where he told the authorities that he had fallen off a motor bike. This obviously wasn't true so the Police were called. He stuck to his story so the police didn't pursue it any further.

I never did find out who the culprit was, my wife wouldn't tell me, saying that I should not get involved, and they had sorted it out themselves. Don't even know who paid for repair for the broken wall panel. Probably me,

justice Thai style. Swift and effective.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I must say so far it's not too bad. A matter of relaxing home security perhaps due to the relaxed atmosphere of village life would we say? I'm in the process of getting our house built, bars on windows is ugly but something I will be investing in.

Yeah, a mate of mine got attacked after withdrawing money out of an ATM south of Korat in Nong Bua Sala. Attacked by two Thais on a motorcycle. He got away with minor injuries by ducking into a housing development and getting someone to call the cops. Lucky he didn't get killed with the way expats and tourist are getting murdered lately.

I personally lived in downtown Korat at the time and never had any problems. I felt reasonably safe in that area, and my condo had a security guard. We never had any problems.

Was growing some lovely smoking plants lived in nice secure place i thought some1 must have reconised what they were and stole them and my original Reebok trainers from london but left my addis trainers how sweetwhistling.gif

• Like 2

Somebody nicked a bunch of bananas from the front of our property.

That was enough for me to want to put up an electric fence. My missus had a more proportionate response by talking to a neighbour who said "pick the bananas while they are still green, that will stop them".

She is doing that - no repition of the offence so far.

Put the wife out the front of the property in future and fingers crossed! biggrin.png

• Like 1

Lived in the Nong Khai region now for four years - no problems. Have a house on several rai of land but surrounded by various family members. Have several dogs which keep most people away.

With the dogs here is a hint passed onto me by the wife. If you see or hear of the neighbors dogs (or yours) dying suddenly or in groups in various homes. be on the look out. Common for thieves to poison dogs in a particular area before committing crimes in one or several homes.

However I do notice that the one BIL that drinks always tucks the bottle of Lao Khao away (on those nights there is any left) where it can not be seen.

• Like 1

Needless to say he made a great deal of noise doing this. Imagine the poor BIL hearing all this and being unable to investigate. The thief ransacked the bedroom which he had entered, and found the grand total of 50 baht. Deciding to leave the premises via the front room and front door instead of going to the trouble of having to climb back out over the wall.

justice Thai style. Swift and effective.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Anywhere justice

• Like 1

never had problem in isaan myself except a calculator went missing

and the chalk for the pool-cues .

but in the village nearby it happens in harvest times when most people are in the field

I bet the loser stole the plants before they flowered like happened to me back in Barcelona. After all the hard work and they cut the plants long before they were smokeable, losers!

Was growing some lovely smoking plants lived in nice secure place i thought some1 must have reconised what they were and stole them and my original Reebok trainers from london but left my addis trainers how sweetwhistling.gif

My house got broken into last week whilst we were both away. Checked CCTV footage from another house nearby and it shows the thieves first coming several times in the afternoon (silver Honda civic), ringing the door bell each time to see if someone was home, then coming back again at 10pm to look around and finally around midnight a crew of four came. They spend nearly half an hour in our house. The extra security and all the metal gates etc was no protection at all. They got in very quickly.

Not much was stolen and the police suspects they were looking for a spare key for our new car which was parked in our car port.

The police found video footage of the same crew robbing another 3 houses the same night in different estates nearby.

Hey All living about 1 hr out side Buri Ram in the rice fields 5 yrs I bought the magnetic door and window alarms from the states. I got the loudest I could find. we make it a point to forget to turn off every now and again to let the whole ville know I have them. Knock on wood no prob so far. They do have some in Home Pro now.

• Like 1

One day I was sitting by the computer and heard a strange sound from the bath room. I open the door and see a long stick, 2-3 meters long actually being poked trough the air vent, and the surprised/scared face of some 14 year old kid trying to maneuver one of my wives undies from the drying rack. I run out the side of the house but the little pervert was gone allready.

Later while we were in Norway he broke into the house in Isaan and stole all my wives silk fabrics. Luckilly anything else of value was not stored at the house...but he broke tyrough the roof to get in and made quite a mess. Same boy. This time

the village council or whatever it''s called took care of him, and insist that this particular thief will never bother us again...and he has not.

As far as any violence, never seen or expereinced it in Isaan.

Edited by Gimbo
  • Like 1

One day I was sitting by the computer and heard a strange sound from the bath room. I open the door and see a long stick, 2-3 meters long actually being poked trough the air vent, and the surprised/scared face of some 14 year old kid trying to maneuver one of my wives undies from the drying rack. I run out the side of the house but the little pervert  was gone allready.

Later while we were in Norway he broke into the house in Isaan  and stole all my wives silk fabrics. Luckilly anything else of value was not stored at the house...but he broke tyrough the roof to get in and made quite a mess. Same boy. This time 

the village council or whatever it''s called took care of him, and insist that this particular thief will never bother us again...and he has not. 

As far as any violence, never seen or expereinced it in Isaan. 

Little bloody pervert. Any sex based crimes in coming years, he's number 1 suspect.