Ever been robbed/burgled in Isaan?...

krisb

YES. About 15 years ago we were gone from home and they stole half the house in Khon Kaen. Stole my clothes, VDO machine, satellite receiver, notebook computer, gold ink pen, about 100 VDO tapes many new. Do not think you can move up country and not have a theft at home believe me. Worse than Bkk in my opinion.

15 years and no theft at home. Believe me.clap2.gif

17 for me. Nothing and only one small break in anywhere in the moobhan.

• Like 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some years ago when I was on a visit from Australia our house was broken into, the back door was forced. The day before I had sold a couple of water buffaloes for cash, so with village gossip being what it is everybody would have known this. When we got home from Town I noticed the door had been forced. Upon checking I saw that my money belt was missing. In it was my passport and plane ticket. There was no money, in fact the very reason for my going to town was to bank the cash from the sale of the buffaloes.

Now I was in real trouble, no passport, no ticket, and this was on New Years Eve, when everything would be shut from tomorrow for the holiday. I went back into town and reported the theft to the local police station.

A couple off days later I was in my back storeroom when I noticed something lying on the floor behind one of those large water urns. It was the strap of my belt. What relief, the passport and ticket were intact. The thief was obviously only interested in the cash, and when he found none simply tossed the belt aside. Lucky he didn't take it outside and discard it.

• Like 2

my ex lives in the last house on the way from the village, started losing underwear from the clothesline over a period of a couple months, most of it was found when the cane was being cut in the paddock out the back along with plenty of other women's stuff, I told her to double check everything when she locked up at night, there is a sick basted there somewhere close...

my ex lives in the last house on the way from the village, started losing underwear from the clothesline over a period of a couple months, most of it was found when the cane was being cut in the paddock out the back along with plenty of other women's stuff, I told her to double check everything when she locked up at night, there is a sick basted there somewhere close...

Similar with my wife and a few other girls. Ended up being an old guy from over the road.

So far guys it's quite reassuring reading these posts. Its what I expected I think, some posts are a little disturbing and some a little bizzare even. By far nothing like the horror stories of Pattaya for example. Yes I know you can't compare busy Pattaya to Isaan, but Isaan is much bigger area with a much bigger population, so these stories so far are very reassuring to me.

By the way, I finally got to visit for a week the lovely city of Khon kaen about 2 weeks ago. Wow! The nicest, cleanest and most beautiful city I've seen in Thailand by far! I've been to the bus station several times but that's it. So glad I got to look around this time. Its truly a little gem. Finally I've found a city in Thailand I'd be proud to call home!

Well I spent six weeks there last year as I was in the university and last week went to see some friends. Last year I found it to be the most farang unfriendly place I have been in Thailand. The farang who work there also from my friends comments seem to be tiring of the place. Some people have even moved to Bangkok as they rate KK so low.

I spent some time there and if you don't know where to go and you don't speak Thai you have a problem. Try a stay and see what you think but whereas there will be locals who disagree I am not in a minority.

Well until this year there didn't seem to be a problem. Mobile Content you may be interested to note. There is now a gang of 13 year old boys going round Amphoe Song Dao breaking into homes both farang and Thai. They got into a pharmacy but were on CCTV. Seems police got them but there are others in the gang. Locals say it is to fund yaba. The need for money for drugs seems to have exacerbated the break ins.

Perhaps Thailand just catching up with UK and as Thais become more affluent more to steal apart from the obvious image so many have of farang.

Times they are/seem to be changing. Perhaps the youth see what they want but the parents can't fund there lifestyle. Perhaps there is now such a gender gap the parents don't understand their children. Twenty years ago did the people have mobiles, iphone, notebook and the standard of education they had means the parents just don't understand what their children want or are up to and how.

A gender gap?

Hi yes I meant gender gap and to this you can add generation gap which I am sure you thought I meant. By that I meant the westernisation that is taking place through TV (television not our esteemed forums) and other things. Boys look at life so differently to their fathers and girls far from being the house servants see themselves as being individuals with a life of their own ahead of them. Not only as we would see in the west is there a difference in generations but also the and I hope I put this in the right way 'the gender definitions' are changing so much. Boys cooking, girls not just thinking who from the local villages will pay my dowry.

We had an attempted break in a couple of years ago at 2:30am. The potential thieves were pretty professional. They drilled a hole about 5mm in diameter in the window frame just over halfway between the two rivet heads that most aluminium windows here seem to have. They then inserted a screwdriver or similar and thereby opened the lock by pushing downwards on it. They had slid the window open but fortunately for us, they had to push a louvre blind out of the way to gain access. This was in the shower room / toilet by the way. The louvre blind banged against the tiled wall which is actually quite loud and this woke the misses. She had one hell of a job waking me up but she did eventually. The thief / thieves must have heard us because they did a runner, but not before closing the window -- strange. Funnily enough, the previous day we had the tanker round to empty our septic tank which is right by the toilet. Coincidence ?

• Like 1

So far guys it's quite reassuring reading these posts. Its what I expected I think, some posts are a little disturbing and some a little bizzare even. By far nothing like the horror stories of Pattaya for example. Yes I know you can't compare busy Pattaya to Isaan, but Isaan is much bigger area with a much bigger population, so these stories so far are very reassuring to me.

By the way, I finally got to visit for a week the lovely city of Khon kaen about 2 weeks ago. Wow! The nicest, cleanest and most beautiful city I've seen in Thailand by far! I've been to the bus station several times but that's it. So glad I got to look around this time. Its truly a little gem. Finally I've found a city in Thailand I'd be proud to call home!

Well I spent six weeks there last year as I was in the university and last week went to see some friends. Last year I found it to be the most farang unfriendly place I have been in Thailand. The farang who work there also from my friends comments seem to be tiring of the place. Some people have even moved to Bangkok as they rate KK so low. 

I spent some time there and if you don't know where to go and you don't speak Thai you have a problem.  Try a stay and see what you think but whereas there will be locals who disagree I am not in a minority.

Each to their own. I've been holidaying there for a while. I love it especially KK. Best city in Thailand I think and the friendliest also cheapest.

I suggested the OP might look into a price from one or more of the professional electric fence companies. Any professional electric fence, will have a back up battery and will have a energizer which is connected in a safe manner to a normal household circuit. There is also grounding to any professional installation, several places along the fence installation. But the "zap" an intruder would experience would not kill them. The siren, strobe lighting, mobile phone sms, autodialer to another phone, or link to the police station certainly can play a role in how effective the electric fence would be in your situation. I have observed it has served as a deterrent to fully hooded random guys on motorbikes with no license plates who have driven too slow by our front gates, during "festival" or "carnival days". Electric fences are perfectly legal in Thailand.

Plenty of OTHER houses, from 2000 baht a month rental units with EVERY window and both doors having metal bars, all the way to resort like showplace homes with a full time night guard have been robbed in and near our community. Gold, cash, safes, lap tops, mobile phones, jewelry all stolen from Farang in and near our community, with and without metal bars, steel security doors, or a night guard. Some houses more than once in the 7 years I have lived in the same community.

http://www.wasp-security.com/for_homes.php The deterrent of a professional electric fence in my opinion makes the potential thief move on to an softer target. Stainless Steel of the right grade and thickness is certainly not cheap. But you never have to paint it again. The powder coated fence posts done by Wasp Security have held up far better than the two coats of Dulux Weathershield I had painted originally on the concrete fences. Wasp Security attached stainless steel posts to my existing stainless steel posts for the area I had spent significant money on stainless steel fencing. Now if I can get the relatives to remember to lock the Medeco gate lock when departing. Six years no false alarm issues with the electric fence, but we sweep the six wires for spider webs once a week and trim back trees near the fence line. If anyone threw a jacket onto the fence and touched any two wires the fence becomes active, they get shocked, and the alarm activates. Having a professional electric fence did not change the premium on our home owners insurance policy. But when an electric surge zapped the controller of the electric fence control box, (and a host of electric items in our home not connected to top grade surge protectors) the "Safety Insurance Public Company Limited" paid in full for a new controller and the labor to install that control box. I've gotten great service from Mike the owner of Wasp Security in Bangkok for our house in Isaan.

In my case the cost of the electric fence was significantly less than metal security doors, let alone window bars. The cost was significantly less than stainless steel fence topping on higher concrete walls. I would not buy a "people gate" if I was to build another house. Sliding the larger rolling gate to the side, is how the family enters and exits our yard. You can not see the electric fence wires at night, but the reflective signs in Thai and English send a message to deter thieves.

I moved to Buriram after being inside a rental house which had bars on the windows and entry doors, and TWICE in one night thieves attempted to break in, and the police were sleeping at the Kamala Beach (Phuket Island) Police station and did not answer the phone. Isaan seems real safe after that experience. I have observed small two bedroom attached rental houses robbed all the way to nice estates robbed on our area. We have not had any break in attempts what so ever. We have never let any traveling salesmen or traveling saleswomen past our front gate, but I've heard the "rug sellers" can be part of a gang of thieves.

post-20604-0-11867700-1375680492_thumb.j

post-20604-0-42787200-1375680751_thumb.j

post-20604-0-72150200-1375680774_thumb.j

post-20604-0-82799800-1375680821_thumb.j

post-20604-0-82365600-1375680955_thumb.j

post-20604-0-11360900-1375680982_thumb.j

• Like 1

I suggested the OP might look into a price from one or more of the professional electric fence companies. Any professional electric fence, will have a back up battery and will have a energizer which is connected in a safe manner to a normal household circuit. There is also grounding to any professional installation, several places along the fence installation. But the "zap" an intruder would experience would not kill them. The siren, strobe lighting, mobile phone sms, autodialer to another phone, or link to the police station certainly can play a role in how effective the electric fence would be in your situation. I have observed it has served as a deterrent to fully hooded random guys on motorbikes with no license plates who have driven too slow by our front gates, during "festival" or "carnival days". Electric fences are perfectly legal in Thailand.

Plenty of OTHER houses, from 2000 baht a month rental units with EVERY window and both doors having metal bars, all the way to resort like showplace homes with a full time night guard have been robbed in and near our community. Gold, cash, safes, lap tops, mobile phones, jewelry all stolen from Farang in and near our community, with and without metal bars, steel security doors, or a night guard. Some houses more than once in the 7 years I have lived in the same community.

http://www.wasp-security.com/for_homes.php The deterrent of a professional electric fence in my opinion makes the potential thief move on to an softer target. Stainless Steel of the right grade and thickness is certainly not cheap. But you never have to paint it again. The powder coated fence posts done by Wasp Security have held up far better than the two coats of Dulux Weathershield I had painted originally on the concrete fences. Wasp Security attached stainless steel posts to my existing stainless steel posts for the area I had spent significant money on stainless steel fencing. Now if I can get the relatives to remember to lock the Medeco gate lock when departing. Six years no false alarm issues with the electric fence, but we sweep the six wires for spider webs once a week and trim back trees near the fence line. If anyone threw a jacket onto the fence and touched any two wires the fence becomes active, they get shocked, and the alarm activates. Having a professional electric fence did not change the premium on our home owners insurance policy. But when an electric surge zapped the controller of the electric fence control box, (and a host of electric items in our home not connected to top grade surge protectors) the "Safety Insurance Public Company Limited" paid in full for a new controller and the labor to install that control box. I've gotten great service from Mike the owner of Wasp Security in Bangkok for our house in Isaan.

In my case the cost of the electric fence was significantly less than metal security doors, let alone window bars. The cost was significantly less than stainless steel fence topping on higher concrete walls. I would not buy a "people gate" if I was to build another house. Sliding the larger rolling gate to the side, is how the family enters and exits our yard. You can not see the electric fence wires at night, but the reflective signs in Thai and English send a message to deter thieves.

I moved to Buriram after being inside a rental house which had bars on the windows and entry doors, and TWICE in one night thieves attempted to break in, and the police were sleeping at the Kamala Beach (Phuket Island) Police station and did not answer the phone. Isaan seems real safe after that experience. I have observed small two bedroom attached rental houses robbed all the way to nice estates robbed on our area. We have not had any break in attempts what so ever. We have never let any traveling salesmen or traveling saleswomen past our front gate, but I've heard the "rug sellers" can be part of a gang of thieves.

That looks like a posh prison .................................smile.png

I guess living in Bangkok one gets used to houses with spikes on the wall or crappy broken glass etc. There are over 180 such so called posh prisons in Thailand to my knowledge. None of whom have had people breach their perimeter and none of whom have every complained that they live in a prison!

As Kamala Bob says have a look at the gallery pages.

I guess living in Bangkok one gets used to houses with spikes on the wall or crappy broken glass etc. There are over 180 such so called posh prisons in Thailand to my knowledge. None of whom have had people breach their perimeter and none of whom have every complained that they live in a prison!

As Kamala Bob says have a look at the gallery pages.

Perhaps nobody got out either............laugh.png

Strange you should mention that because it is important.

When intruders are 'casing' a joint how to get out is just as important as how to get in, should they be discovered in the act. If the system is well installed it is as difficult to get out as it was to get in, so get out so the benefit is maybe not doubled but... As Kamala Bob says they will look for a softer target.

From an industrial point of view stopping stuff being passed over the wall is sometimes more important than stopping intruders climbing in.

Edited by VocalNeal

I suggested the OP might look into a price from one or more of the professional electric fence companies.  Any professional electric fence, will have a back up battery and will have a energizer which is connected in a safe manner to a normal household circuit. There is also grounding to any professional installation, several places along the fence installation. But the "zap" an intruder would experience would not kill them.  The siren, strobe lighting, mobile phone sms, autodialer to another phone, or link to the police station certainly can play a role in how effective the electric fence would be in your situation. I have observed it has served as a deterrent to fully hooded random guys on motorbikes with no license plates who have driven too slow by our front gates, during "festival" or "carnival days".  Electric fences are perfectly legal in Thailand. 

Plenty of OTHER houses, from 2000 baht a month rental units with EVERY window and both doors having metal bars, all the way to resort like showplace homes with a full time night guard have been robbed in and near our community. Gold, cash, safes, lap tops, mobile phones, jewelry all stolen from Farang in and near our community, with and without metal bars, steel security doors, or a night guard.  Some houses more than once in the 7 years I have lived in the same community. 

http://www.wasp-security.com/for_homes.php      The deterrent of a professional electric fence in my opinion makes the potential thief move on to an softer target. Stainless Steel of the right grade and thickness is certainly not cheap.  But you never have to paint it again. The powder coated fence posts done by Wasp Security have held up far better than the two coats of Dulux Weathershield I had painted originally on the concrete fences.  Wasp Security attached stainless steel posts to my existing stainless steel posts for the area I had spent significant money on stainless steel fencing.  Now if I can get the relatives to remember to lock the Medeco gate lock when departing.   Six years no false alarm issues with the electric fence, but we sweep the six wires for spider webs once a week and trim back trees near the fence line.   If anyone threw a jacket onto the fence and touched any two wires the fence becomes active, they get shocked, and the alarm activates.   Having a professional electric fence did not change the premium on our home owners insurance policy. But when an electric surge zapped the controller of the electric fence control box, (and a host of electric items in our home not connected to top grade surge protectors) the "Safety Insurance Public Company Limited" paid in full for a new controller and the labor to install that control box.  I've gotten great service from Mike the owner of Wasp Security in Bangkok for our house in Isaan.  

In my case the cost of the electric fence was significantly less than metal security doors, let alone window bars. The cost was significantly less than stainless steel fence topping on higher concrete walls.  I would not buy a "people gate" if I was to build another house. Sliding the larger rolling gate to the side, is how the family enters and exits our yard.    You can not see the electric fence wires at night, but the reflective signs in Thai and English send a message to deter thieves. 

I moved to Buriram after being inside a rental house which had bars on the windows and entry doors, and TWICE in one night thieves attempted to break in, and the police were sleeping at the Kamala Beach (Phuket Island)  Police station and did not answer the phone.  Isaan seems real safe after that experience.  I have observed small two bedroom attached rental houses robbed all the way to nice estates robbed on our area. We have not had any break in attempts what so ever.  We have never let any traveling salesmen or traveling saleswomen past our front gate, but I've heard the "rug sellers" can be part of a gang of thieves.  

Blimey, is that your house?:blink:

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Strange you should mention that because it is important.

When intruders are 'casing' a joint how to get out is just as important as how to get in, should they be discovered in the act. If the system is well installed it is as difficult to get out as it was to get in, so get out so the benefit is maybe not doubled but... As Kamala Bob says they will look for a softer target.

From an industrial point of view stopping stuff being passed over the wall is sometimes more important than stopping intruders climbing in.

I read an article by a Brit pro burglar many years ago which made me laugh. He was describing this really posh house in Surrey that had steel bars on all house orifices, which descended with him inside the house, when they were triggered by internal motion lasers.

"Weren't you worried?" said the journo. "No, I just came out through a wall" was his reply.

• Like 1

Well I have only spent May 25, 1990 inside prison walls, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_San_Quentin back in a previous life as a talent agent for the 2nd bill band to a great Blues legend. It was not posh. Not enough shade in that "yard". But I am certain that copy machine repair was a career being taught at that institution as the "dressing room" was inside the trade school teaching center.

Edited by kamalabob2

Well I have only spent May 25, 1990 inside prison walls,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_San_Quentin   back in a previous life as a talent agent for the 2nd bill band to a great Blues legend.  It was not posh.   Not enough shade in that "yard".  But I am certain that copy machine repair was a career being taught at that institution as the "dressing room" was inside the trade school teaching center.

huh?
  • Like 1

Well I have only spent May 25, 1990 inside prison walls, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_San_Quentin back in a previous life as a talent agent for the 2nd bill band to a great Blues legend. It was not posh. Not enough shade in that "yard". But I am certain that copy machine repair was a career being taught at that institution as the "dressing room" was inside the trade school teaching center.

huh?

Yeh..................Think he drinks Hein.......................................burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRR.gif .

• Like 1

None till date. But staying here for only 4months so far.

My dogs got poisoned but not by robbers. More likely by my neighbour's somewhere down the road. He left his chickens and chicks running around and my dogs decided that they are good for afternoon snacks.

Security wise, currently have 3 dogs, getting another 3 more next month.

Iron grilles on the inside of windows and doors rather then outside. Wooden door n iron door at the back. That's about it for now.

In the Thai papers there is a story about a Thai Govt lady being robbed of 900k of govt money from Sanom, nr Tatum, Surin province. She had been stabbed, decapitated then buried in a shallow grave by a co-worker.

Life is cheap in those " One horse towns"

my ex lives in the last house on the way from the village, started losing underwear from the clothesline over a period of a couple months, most of it was found when the cane was being cut in the paddock out the back along with plenty of other women's stuff, I told her to double check everything when she locked up at night, there is a sick basted there somewhere close...

Amateurs...everyone knows that you have to take them from the laundry basket.

None till date. But staying here for only 4months so far.

My dogs got poisoned but not by robbers. More likely by my neighbour's somewhere down the road. He left his chickens and chicks running around and my dogs decided that they are good for afternoon snacks.

Which kind of suggests you left your dogs "running around"

As for Kamala Bob's photo copy repairs that did go over my head. The prison reference I understand to be sarcasm in a response to the suggestion about the perceived appearance by others of his current abode.

• 1 month later...

we are living not fare from Surin.

3 years ago, someone has tried to burgle in our property.

At this time I've had only a 4 meters high wall around the house and my dog, at this time 12 years old, didn't gave any signed. I've detected this at the time I was cutting the grass around my area and saw some foot prints on the wall. My wife has told me, at this time also a lot of villager go burgled too.

However, from this time I've now on the top of the wall some barbwire and a camera system around the area.

Last year, I've got 3 K-9 dogs from her uncle, after my old one dies. Also I've installed a electric pasture wire, that I've brought along from Germany. I've tried to touch it one time, it gave me a stroke that I'll not forget.

In the village they just say, Ei Ba Falang, living in the Bangkok Hilton crazy.gif but more impotent is, nobody has tried to burgle again.

Got some CCTV stickers made up and put them all around the outside of a 2mtr wall for 200 baht,everyone comments about we must have spent a fortune on security. but I think the real deterrent is the two Thai Ridgebacks we have, there reputation out ways everything Thai people are shit scared of these dogs and no one enters our place without phoning first.

Thai Ridgebacks silent but deadly.........

When me and the missus went on our honeymoon someone tried break on through the roof of our townhouse. SIL was at home sleeping and woke up when she heard the burglar trying to smash the roof tiles. She flipped all the lights on and the guy fell off the roof and ran away. Next week our neighbor was walking with a hard limp from an injury he declined to talk about. When we move back we decided to get a place closer to Bangkok in a gated community with security guards.

When me and the missus went on our honeymoon someone tried break on through the roof of our townhouse. SIL was at home sleeping and woke up when she heard the burglar trying to smash the roof tiles. She flipped all the lights on and the guy fell off the roof and ran away. Next week our neighbor was walking with a hard limp from an injury he declined to talk about. When we move back we decided to get a place closer to Bangkok in a gated community with security guards.

ge gated community WITH SECURITY GUARDS out of the fat into the firecheesy.gif

• Like 1