Chiang Mai Monorail May Be Coming Soon

CMNightRider

It looks like relief is coming for the heavy traffic congestion in Chiang Mai,

Boonlert Buranupakorn, president of Chiang Mai Administrative Organisation has said it will invest over eight billion baht for a high-tech public transportation system. The government has already approved the investment and it is expected the monorail will be up and running within five years.

Each car will be able to take up to 40 people, and there will be three cars for every line. It will travel at around 28 kilometres per hour and will pick up passengers every 500 metres. Each route should take about 30 minutes.

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> Each car will be able to take up to 40 people

So... that's about the capacity of the 'monorail' at the zoo. Or a single city bus that's not even full.

And for that some road space will be sacrificed.

Result: congestion gets worse, not better. And we burn though a nice portion of my tax money.

> Each car will be able to take up to 40 people

So... that's about the capacity of the 'monorail' at the zoo. Or a single city bus that's not even full.

And for that some road space will be sacrificed.

Result: congestion gets worse, not better. And we burn though a nice portion of my tax money.

Well it will be great for those of us with out vehicles. But for the rest of the people where are they going to park there car. Also stopping every 500 meters plus tuck tuck's stopping here and there and songhtellswai.gif the streets they are on will be a disaster. The Monorail will have to take up one full lane. We can always hope they have enough sense to not use elevated rails,

There will be four different routes city life had a map of them.

I think there is a thread on here that mentioned them and showed the map.

it may happen is the question I think.good idea thou

In my opinion no.

If running at full capacity each route will take 240 passengers. To accomplish that they will have to take up one whole lane. So it is my belief that each lane will handle more than 240 people in what ever mode of transportation they choose to use. In order for it to be affective and maintain it's schedule no other vehicles could be allowed on the lane it is taken up.

Bear in mind that each car would have to be full to get the 240 passengers.

I read it was a land based monorail, not elevated, doh.

Money has already been allocated for it and apparently 'approved'. There is a map of the 5 lines floating around somewhere, but you cant zoom in on it to see the details - if anyone has a decent link, please post.

I read it was a land based monorail, not elevated, doh.

Money has already been allocated for it and apparently 'approved'. There is a map of the 5 lines floating around somewhere, but you cant zoom in on it to see the details - if anyone has a decent link, please post.

I know of a government project in Pattaya, and I'm sure there are many like that all over Thailand, for which approval and money allocation has happened about 20 years ago and again at least one more time since then as the first money " got lost " , and where today is still no sign that anything actually gonna happen.

So I wouldn't hold my breath on the basis that money is allocated already.

This is on the Chiangmaicitynews website with a map.

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=2084

And I believe that it would be great to have it in Chiang Mai. I don't think it will take 1 lane, especially on Huay Kaew Road. That would be too stupid and I am sure they have better idea than that.

It's been a bit over two weeks since the announcement and in that time no further information was issued.

And no journalist has as much as asked for an image in a higher resolution than 459 x 327 pixels, so people could actually read the text.

Or asked why a city that has proven several times that it is incapable of running a bus service, would be capable of running a monorail.

Walt Disney predicted that the monorail was the future of transportation and a half century later Disney World has the most heavily used monorail system in the world. A dreamer's in his own world with a big budget, same same as here.

If the monorail will have stops every 500 metres the tuk tuks will be very busy. Have you ever known a thai to walk 250 metres?

BTS Skytrain stops are roughly 1000 meters apart.

And yes.

And the taxis do huge point to point business there using their meters.

Edited by harrry

Monorail? Wrong term. What is meant is a trolley or streetcar, possibly a cable car (San Francisco style), but I doubt the latter. Practical on narrow roadways? Not at all.

There are some fascinating monorails around the world, of course. Just check Youtube. Some interesting streetcar systems, too. But as you look at them, think of the problems for fixed surface routing in Chiang Mai.

I vote for the tuk tuk and songtao system for flexible public transportation (especially in congested historical areas) with enclosed taxi service for off-route point-to-point service further than in the central area. Some fixed intra-urban routes could be established, but these take time to develop and sustain. The defunct Chiang Mai bus system is a classic example of poor planning and inappropriate equipment with the remnant bus stops becoming annoying walkway clutter.

Persuade commuters to leave private vehicles outside the central area and transfer to urban transportation? Hah!

The significant problem now with most tuk tuks and sontao is local air pollution. Both can be battery-powered. An alternative vehicle would be small (10-12 passenger) buses powered by electricity. For fixed routes carrying a greater number of passengers, just take a look at the university system. All of these options are ultimately less expensive and flexible than fixed route trolleys or streetcars.

To alleviate traffic congestion there are other restrictive measures that are often practiced. One is restricting the hours for truck traffic. Another is developing pedestrian areas. But that's a whole different approach.

This is on the Chiangmaicitynews website with a map.

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=2084

And I believe that it would be great to have it in Chiang Mai. I don't think it will take 1 lane, especially on Huay Kaew Road. That would be too stupid and I am sure they have better idea than that.

Be a mighty funny looking vehicle that takes 40 people and doesn't take up one lane to do it. Why would it take less room on Huay Kaew Road than on Changklan?

I just looked at the map I see they have it running through the Night Bazaar going north rather than south like the existing traffic.

The only malls I see it servicing is the existing KSG the Airport mall and the new coming Maya mall. Looks like they are going to be in the area of the star mall not sure how close.

No where near the new Promenada and the Central. I am glad to see they did not run it through the old city.

Monorail? Wrong term. What is meant is a trolley or streetcar, possibly a cable car (San Francisco style), but I doubt the latter. Practical on narrow roadways? Not at all.

There are some fascinating monorails around the world, of course. Just check Youtube. Some interesting streetcar systems, too. But as you look at them, think of the problems for fixed surface routing in Chiang Mai.

I vote for the tuk tuk and songtao system for flexible public transportation (especially in congested historical areas) with enclosed taxi service for off-route point-to-point service further than in the central area. Some fixed intra-urban routes could be established, but these take time to develop and sustain. The defunct Chiang Mai bus system is a classic example of poor planning and inappropriate equipment with the remnant bus stops becoming annoying walkway clutter.

Persuade commuters to leave private vehicles outside the central area and transfer to urban transportation? Hah!

The significant problem now with most tuk tuks and sontao is local air pollution. Both can be battery-powered. An alternative vehicle would be small (10-12 passenger) buses powered by electricity. For fixed routes carrying a greater number of passengers, just take a look at the university system. All of these options are ultimately less expensive and flexible than fixed route trolleys or streetcars.

To alleviate traffic congestion there are other restrictive measures that are often practiced. One is restricting the hours for truck traffic. Another is developing pedestrian areas. But that's a whole different approach.

I was to the understanding that some of the tuk tuk's were propane powered would that not be a lot less polluting? they could make them all change over.

Just a thought Songthoewswai.gif also could be changed over.

Edited by hellodolly

Virtually all tuk tuks (esp. those used as taxis) are LPG powered. That doesn't make them less polluting, but then again you got to wonder how much of an impact that really has; a couple handfulls of tuk tuks who are mostly stationary with the driver sleeping.

I would not expect miracles from electrifying them. (The vehicles; electrifying the drivers may hold some benefit.)

• Like 1

Bad traffc in Chiang Mai? Get real eh! Chiang Mais traffic is nothing. Sure its not the best from 5 - 6.30pm around the city, but show me a city in the world where its not bad at rush hour.

If people are annoyed at CM traffic tell them to get a taste of BKK taffic and they will appreciate CM a lot more

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Be a mighty funny looking vehicle that takes 40 people and doesn't take up one lane to do it.

Have you ever seen elevated monorail ?

Yes they were higher than street level.

check them out they have them in Bangkok and they even have one in Seattle and Vancouver B C.

You can drive a car under them because they are not on the street taking up one lane,

Virtually all tuk tuks (esp. those used as taxis) are LPG powered. That doesn't make them less polluting, but then again you got to wonder how much of an impact that really has; a couple handfulls of tuk tuks who are mostly stationary with the driver sleeping.

I would not expect miracles from electrifying them. (The vehicles; electrifying the drivers may hold some benefit.)

Yes they often turn them off in traffic or when they are at a stop light.

I have seen many of them when they are lined up and one leaves they just push the other ones ahead a little bit rather than start them drive 6 feet and stop them.

Be a mighty funny looking vehicle that takes 40 people and doesn't take up one lane to do it.

Have you ever seen elevated monorail ?

Yes they were higher than street level.

check them out they have them in Bangkok and they even have one in Seattle and Vancouver B C.

You can drive a car under them because they are not on the street taking up one lane,

Bangkok BTS uses two rails, just like most light-rail mass transit systems, be it elevated, ground level or underground.

And reading the Chiang Mai plans, it would NOT be elevated. Which makes you wonder if it can even BE a monorail, as typically monorail trains have overhangs for stability. Then again, in 1907 a working prototype was engineered of a ground-level monorail. It never made it to an operational system.

So it's not impossible. Just exceptionally unlikely. wink.png

Einschienerp.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

What they need is a decent, well publicised and run, local bus system with aircon buses and, bus stops and bus maps - run at regular times - bus lanes on busy roads. These take more people, can be faster and more comfortable - people will migrate to using them then.

However, every time this has been attempted it has been killed off - the current bus system is almost defunct, and unreliable. There is one that runs from the Moo bahn next door to me - it is 17km from town, but each day I see it turning up/leaving with hardly anyone one it - because there are no bus maps, no known pricing, the bus looks like a wreck, and it turns up at irregular intervals and not very often (twice a day I think).

Taxis should also be forced to use metres as in Bangkok too.