BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
CMNightRider

Chiang Mai Monorail May Be Coming Soon

All this talk about improving transport or traffic around CM, while it is good and needed, the proof will be in the pudding. One thing is lurking in the back of my mind about this and its a fairly common thing.....why reinvent the wheel? Sure CM needs a better form of transport, and yes some (A lot) of the tuk tuk driver are rather unscrupulous (Whatever that means...but it doesnt sound good). And as previous people have stated, the monorail has never really been successful anywhere.

Why not look at (Copy) the systems they use in Singapore (MRT), Hong Kong (MTR) and Bangkok (BTS). To me that would be more practical and as for stopping every 500m..... <deleted>! STUPID comes to mind. Put the stations underground....(hopefully no one drowns) and like Singapore all you need above ground are the exits/entries.

To me its not rocket science, sure its bound to cost a bit more but the end result will be more efficient. I think the Singapore system is fantastic....swipe card that can also be used in the buses, and its these buses that provide the feeder service to all the suburbs. If anything Id add a bus lane and kill off the supposed motorbike lane.

Just my thoughts.....

Edited by CMKiwi
  • Like 1

The monorail in Kuala Lumpur seems to be pretty successful.

Be a mighty funny looking vehicle that takes 40 people and doesn't take up one lane to do it.

Have you ever seen elevated monorail ?

Yes they were higher than street level.

check them out they have them in Bangkok and they even have one in Seattle and Vancouver B C.

You can drive a car under them because they are not on the street taking up one lane,

Bangkok BTS uses two rails, just like most light-rail mass transit systems, be it elevated, ground level or underground.

And reading the Chiang Mai plans, it would NOT be elevated. Which makes you wonder if it can even BE a monorail, as typically monorail trains have overhangs for stability. Then again, in 1907 a working prototype was engineered of a ground-level monorail. It never made it to an operational system.

So it's not impossible. Just exceptionally unlikely. wink.png

Einschienerp.jpg

You are right I was just following the crowd with the headline it said monorail and I did not think it out all the way.

That being said you are overlooking a very important factor.

This is Amazing Thailand.wai2.gif

It's also possible that what is being proposed is similar to this new system that will link Venice to Mestre on the Italian mainland: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trams_in_Mestre

They call this a tram but the train runs on rubber tyres and uses a single rail embedded in the roadway to guide it thru its journey.

All this talk about improving transport or traffic around CM, while it is good and needed, the proof will be in the pudding. One thing is lurking in the back of my mind about this and its a fairly common thing.....why reinvent the wheel? Sure CM needs a better form of transport, and yes some (A lot) of the tuk tuk driver are rather unscrupulous (Whatever that means...but it doesnt sound good). And as previous people have stated, the monorail has never really been successful anywhere.

Why not look at (Copy) the systems they use in Singapore (MRT), Hong Kong (MTR) and Bangkok (BTS). To me that would be more practical and as for stopping every 500m..... <deleted>! STUPID comes to mind. Put the stations underground....(hopefully no one drowns) and like Singapore all you need above ground are the exits/entries.

To me its not rocket science, sure its bound to cost a bit more but the end result will be more efficient. I think the Singapore system is fantastic....swipe card that can also be used in the buses, and its these buses that provide the feeder service to all the suburbs. If anything Id add a bus lane and kill off the supposed motorbike lane.

Just my thoughts.....

The tuck tuck's in Chiang Mai are as a rule OK you are thinking of the Phuket ones.

Haven't been to any of those places except for Bangkok and if the other cities have the same traffic jams can't really see any use for them.

The monorail in Kuala Lumpur seems to be pretty successful.

It is but if I remember right it only has one route. Also it is in the air not pavement level.

It's also possible that what is being proposed is similar to this new system that will link Venice to Mestre on the Italian mainland: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trams_in_Mestre

They call this a tram but the train runs on rubber tyres and uses a single rail embedded in the roadway to guide it thru its journey.

Looks good but would not be practical being that big going around the corners here in Chiang Mai.

But for all we know that might be the system they are going to use here only with one car not three,

As above, the city needs an underground before it needs more clutter above ground--though is the ground good for it? It also needs the banning of certain traffic from the moat at certain times of day and the establishment of a dedicated 'ring road', the culling of at least half the songthaews (esp' from the moat), the removal of the airport and Wing41 from the confines of the city, the relocation of the two big schools on Kaew Nawarat, and the erection of the long awaiting cable car from da zoo up to da temple. But, for now, it doesn't need a waste of space, freakin' fluffy 'monorail'.

Well, in the Thai media (I can read Thai fluently) this project is not a monorail, but more like a tram. Yes, it's those kind you see in Amsterdam, Melbourne or Prague.

Also, it's still a dream project by the Chiang Mai local organization. Not endorsed by the government yet. A project that requires more than a billion to be spent by local government in Thailand will have to go through the parliament.

As for the more sophisticated systems such as LRT (light rail) or MRT, or anything that requires a proper station, like BTS or the underground, I don't think Chiang Mai has enough riderships to feed these systems. All Chiang Mai needs is probably a very efficient bus networks or trams. No more.

I heard there will be restrictions on the inner Chiang Mai moat area where only residents within the moat can bring in their cars, once the circle line bus route has been established (but with no parking provision for those wanting to do park and ride). This will be interesting. Enforcement will sure be problematic, because it will be the first of its kind in Thailand.

• Like 1

After the money is appropriated they will re-engineer it to a flood proof loop around the moat...

Disney-Jungle-Cruise-Tokyo-Disneyland.jp

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1

Well, in the Thai media (I can read Thai fluently) this project is not a monorail, but more like a tram. Yes, it's those kind you see in Amsterdam, Melbourne or Prague.

Also, it's still a dream project by the Chiang Mai local organization. Not endorsed by the government yet. A project that requires more than a billion to be spent by local government in Thailand will have to go through the parliament.

As for the more sophisticated systems such as LRT (light rail) or MRT, or anything that requires a proper station, like BTS or the underground, I don't think Chiang Mai has enough riderships to feed these systems. All Chiang Mai needs is probably a very efficient bus networks or trams. No more.

I heard there will be restrictions on the inner Chiang Mai moat area where only residents within the moat can bring in their cars, once the circle line bus route has been established (but with no parking provision for those wanting to do park and ride). This will be interesting. Enforcement will sure be problematic, because it will be the first of its kind in Thailand.

Have you ever considered working as a translator for the Nation and other English news sources.

It would be nice to have accurate information.

Thank you for your reality.

After 25 years of use the inner city Sydney Monorail is being dismantled at a cost of $15 million.Steel concrete, etc is to be recycled and I guess the cars will finish up in a museum somewhere

Considered as an "ugly duckling" it snaked its way around buildings for a distance of about 4 kms from memory and to a certain extent did provide a service but a loss making one.

For me an above ground mono rail would not be appropriate in CM, underground or not at all.

At some stage in the near future CM will be totally gridlocked around the old city,Huay Kaew rd area and some major decisions will need to be made, with the approval of the songteaw brigade of course.

Please attach the link to the Thai article about this proposed project. I would like to have my girlfriend interpret the article from Thai to English for me.

Please attach the link to the Thai article about this proposed project. I would like to have my girlfriend interpret the article from Thai to English for me.

This link

http://www.krobkruakao.com/%E0%B8%82%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7/76625/%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B9%E0%B9%8A%E0%B8%9B--%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%9D%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AA%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88.html

This link

http://www.krobkruakao.com/%E0%B8%82%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A7/76625/%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B9%E0%B9%8A%E0%B8%9B--%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%9D%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B0%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AA%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8A%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%87%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B9%88.html

Thanks for sending the link. It looks like the city is serious about going ahead with this project.

That looks hideous..

post-64232-0-61172500-1375709397_thumb.j

BTW, in the report they are speaking of a 'monorail', still. Not sure how that would stay balanced.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Not sure why the image got messed up; it doesn't want to get un-messed either, so trying again in a fresh post.

It's still hideous.

tram.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai