"No Russian Mafia in Pattaya" – Chief of Banglamung District

webfact

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any good in Pattaya. I used to be a regular visitor there for holidays with my Brit g/f and even thought about retirement there. Absolutely no longer. It's back Southern Europe for me. Have I over reacted? Have I got it all wrong? Someone please convince me otherwise as I have always enjoyed visiting Pattaya and Thailand generally, very much since my first visit on business more than 20 years ago.

Exactly which industries are dominated by russian nationals? Sounds more like the press trying to whip up a storm of xenophobia and sensationalism.

You are not Russian, are you;-)

Erm - no. But living in Pattaya I cannot see any industry that even comes close to being dominated by Russians - maybe you would care to enlighten me.

So the only way there can be a Russian mafia is if they dominate an industry. Sounds like Thai logic.

It's been a year and a half since I've been to Pattaya and they were there then. That's why I haven't been back.

No Russian mafia, no drugs, no prostitutions, no corruption, no crime....

this town is a regular church/temple going city filed with nothing than

pious people going about their business, where do I sign up?

Yes. That's why it's a family tourist destination.

Is there any good in Pattaya. I used to be a regular visitor there for holidays with my Brit g/f and even thought about retirement there. Absolutely no longer. It's back Southern Europe for me. Have I over reacted? Have I got it all wrong? Someone please convince me otherwise as I have always enjoyed visiting Pattaya and Thailand generally, very much since my first visit on business more than 20 years ago.

We spent 6 weeks in France, Spain and then Portugal. Another trip was a month in Italy. I'd hate to think of all the scams we ran into, the petty thefts we were involved in or were witness to. I've never had that problem here.

We were taking a cab in Paris and wanted to get out and walk home. The driver wouldn't let us. Said it was too dangerous. He turned off the meter and drove us to where he thought it was safe and let us out.

Numerous pickpocket attempts in Paris, Rome, Madrid...and a stolen purse in Portugal. I caught one guy with his hand in my pocket. But what can you do? Gold ring scam in Paris. Money exchange scam in Venice. All sorts of crazy scams by gypsies everywhere.

Pattaya has one area where 90% of the trouble is. Beach road and Walking Street. Other than that, it's quite safe. Even then, it's mostly snatch and grab stuff. Though a few violent crimes do happen, same as any other big tourist city in the world.

Sounds like an advertizement.

We spent 6 weeks in France, Spain and then Portugal. Another trip was a month in Italy. I'd hate to think of all the scams we ran into, the petty thefts we were involved in or were witness to. I've never had that problem here.

We were taking a cab in Paris and wanted to get out and walk home. The driver wouldn't let us. Said it was too dangerous. He turned off the meter and drove us to where he thought it was safe and let us out.

Numerous pickpocket attempts in Paris, Rome, Madrid...and a stolen purse in Portugal. I caught one guy with his hand in my pocket. But what can you do? Gold ring scam in Paris. Money exchange scam in Venice. All sorts of crazy scams by gypsies everywhere.

Pattaya has one area where 90% of the trouble is. Beach road and Walking Street. Other than that, it's quite safe. Even then, it's mostly snatch and grab stuff. Though a few violent crimes do happen, same as any other big tourist city in the world.

GOOD POST.

France full of african scammers,Germany has millions of turks,who are nasty buggers the best of times.Pattaya is a hotbed of calm and peace compared to places in Europe.U are right avoid walking st,and some areas of beach rd,no probs.Never walked on the beach side of beach rd in my 10 years here,after dark,strange i havent had any probs

The elder farts among us (me included) will remember the Minister of Tourism at the time (a lady) visited Pattaya and with go-go-bars signs as backdrop told the press accompanying her that there is no sign whatsoever of prostitution.

Hence the hub of "no Russian mafia" can be added to the "no hookers" hub; well done clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

If you don't see a bargirl having sex there's no prostitution. If you don't see a Russian with a violin case there's no mafia.

Exactly which industries are dominated by russian nationals? Sounds more like the press trying to whip up a storm of xenophobia and sensationalism.

Erm - no. But living in Pattaya I cannot see any industry that even comes close to being dominated by Russians - maybe you would care to enlighten me.

So the only way there can be a Russian mafia is if they dominate an industry. Sounds like Thai logic.

It's been a year and a half since I've been to Pattaya and they were there then. That's why I haven't been back.

What exactly were they doing that led to you coming to the conclusion they were Russia Mafia? Or did someone just tell you they were?

A few tattoos, short hair, east European accent......Yup! must be mafia. They <deleted> wish.

So a few Ruskie hookers might have a pimp, or they might peddle some dope but that doesn't make them mafia they're nothing more than punks

Lucky Luciano must be up there laughing his head off calling that dross in Pattaya "The Mafia"

Take a look at item 14 in the link below that refers to Russian organised crime in Thailand.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/us-embassy-cables-documents/238045

I wonder where all the info came from, I am sure Edward Snowdon is experiencing some real Russian Maffia hospitality now. cheesy.gif

Not sure what the current situation of an American traitor has to do with the Russian mafia in Pattaya. coffee1.gif

No - they are two seperate things.

I doubt anyone would be surprised that there is international organised crime going on in Thailand in general or Pattaya specifically and if people want to hang the mafia tag on it then so be it. Given the number of russian tourists, then russian organised crime will obviously make up part of it.

The domination of some industries is a totally different aspect of it which I cannot see and the article posted is specific referring to the nationalist 'their taking our jobs' rhetoric. The russian businesses in Pattaya, be they 'mafia' or not, are specifically targetted at Russian tourists in the main and have relatively little impact on non-russians. To say they dominate any industry here is laughable and to point out one gogo bar out of the hundreds here or a bloke who appearred to be involved in a jet ski scam is ridiculously over the top and nowhere near anything i would define as domination given the home grown organised crime that goes on here.

Hold on a moment and listen to what he said. "There are no Russian Mafia in Pattaya".

He did not suggest that there are no Russians, or even that there are no Russians involved in crime, or even organised crime.. he just said that there are no Russian Mafia in Pattaya.

I'm sure the REAL Russian Mafia are NOT in Pattaya, unless you mean the odd connected guy taking his family on holiday there.

It's kind of sad that a lot of people see the occasional Russian plastic gangster and confuse him with the real deal, believe me its not the same!

Are these the family holiday guys you have in mind?

Pattaya Police arrest Russian-led Hit Squad paid to kill Estonian Realtor - See more at:

http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/92533/pattaya-police-arrest-russian-led-hit-squad-paid-kill-estonian-realtor/