I'm Planning A Visit To CM...

Jai Dee

Hi all you CM residents... :o

I'm planning on heading up to CM for the second week of May... basically to do some sight-seeing (it's one part of Thailand I've never been to before), and to buy some knick-nacks and stuff for my new house.

The plan is to fly up with my missus on Sunday 7th (probably via Nok Air), then rent a car at the airport for the week, crash in a reasonably central hotel... and tour around from there, before flying back to Bangers on Sunday 14th.

It'd be great to meet some of you TV members and put some faces to the names.

Any takers for a get-together/pissup?

And any suggestions on where we should visit and/or stay?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in... and I sure know of two more definates.

Twill be great to meet you.

Where? WEll we can discuss that as we progress.

As for where to stay, please give us a rough budget of how much a night you want to pay and we will come up with some choices for you

look forward to seeing you soon JD

TP

Excellent TP :o

I've been told that I could get a double Superior room at the Imperial Mae Ping (including ABF) for 1827 THB... but recommeded the Novotel double Superior room (incl ABF) at 1087 THB.

I'm not keen on paying much more than 1800 baht per night... 1500 would be ideal.

I'm also thinking of renting a car... about Altis size. What do you think of C.M. Car Rent?

Excellent TP :o

I've been told that I could get a double Superior room at the Imperial Mae Ping (including ABF) for 1827 THB... but recommeded the Novotel double Superior room (incl ABF) at 1087 THB.

I'm not keen on paying much more than 1800 baht per night... 1500 would be ideal.

I'm also thinking of renting a car... about Altis size. What do you think of C.M. Car Rent?

Imperial Mae Ping is a rip off mate. If you really want to stay in a Hotel, rather than a nice guest House ( some of the Guest Houses up here are cheap and nice)

Here are a few other Hotels down that end of town that are ok.

Royal Princes

Central Duangtawan

Lanna Palace Hotel

The Empress

etc

I'm sure some other people here can recommend a few others

If I was staying here, I would choose The Top North Hotel on Moon Muang rd , near Thaphae gate.Rooms are nice and clean.Also has a great pool.cost around THB600 - 700 per night.

Close to bars and eateries, but a 15-20 min walk to the night bizaar.

If you are buying stuff for the House, I have some good wholesale contacts for you .These will cost you a cold lager though... :D

If I was staying here, I would choose The Top North Hotel on Moon Muang rd , near Thaphae gate.Rooms are nice and clean.Also has a great pool.cost around THB600 - 700 per night.

Sounds good... can you get breakfast there too?

I always need something solid in the morning to soak up the previous night's liquids... :o

If you are buying stuff for the House, I have some good wholesale contacts for you .These will cost you a cold lager though... :D

Maaaate... I am expecting to have many coldies with you... :D

Do your contacts also extend to logistics companies that could deliver to the Pattaya area?

Ideally, we'd drive around, buy what we liked, and then get someone to pick it all up and deliver the following week.

i would second this. had guests come up here twice and put them up at this place. best place for the money !

Sounds good... can you get breakfast there too?

I always need something solid in the morning to soak up the previous night's liquids...

Yes they have a small eatery around the pool, but b/f is not included in the room price (at least it wasn't last year)

You could always nip down to Mad Dogs or Laughing Lep just down the road, much better breakfast :o

Art Cafe' is right on the other side of the gate.

Real hash browns, blueberry pancakes, American style breakfast bisquits, bagels with cream cheese and all kinds of omelets and unusual American breakfast stuff.

One of the best farang breakfast places in all of LOS! :o

Would certainly be interesting to meet up. Hope my annual work report and presentation will be done by then. If you would be interested in a tour of a research facility at CMU would be glad to show you all our toys. :o

A hotel I stayed at last year that was very nice but is closer to the university so may be to much out of your way though it is on Huay Kaew road so transportation is easy, plus they have off street parking. They usually have a promotion, 950B/night if staying two days or more. Appears April no, but May it is - could contact them if you are interested.

http://www.chiangmaihillhotel.com/index.html

http://www.hotels.chiangmai-online.com/cmhill.html

Top North is certainly convenient but found it rather basic but the price is good.

http://www.thaiwaysmagazine.com/chiang_mai...orth_hotel.html

No intention of touting business here :D

Just a fair statement/comparison.

Before I set up C.M. CAR RENT, I've done my research on the standard/quality of cars and the rates of almost every well-known Car Rental Companies in Chiangmai.

NORTHWHEELS is no doubt the most well-known in Chiangmai for it's services, quality and fair rates in Chiangmai.

As for us, C. M. CAR RENT, though we are a fairly new company (2mths' old), in comparison to other Car Rental Companies in Chiangmai, our Quality/Standard, Insurance Policy and Waiver, Services and Rates, remain UNBEATABLE; but the only problem is...we only have four cars at the present and all are out at the moment. :D

No exaggeration, prove me/us wrong, and I stand corrected. :o

Enjoy your stay in Chiangmai. :D

Real hash browns, blueberry pancakes, American style breakfast bisquits, bagels with cream cheese and all kinds of omelets and unusual American breakfast stuff.

One of the best farang breakfast places in all of LOS! :D

That sounds like just the sort of fuel I need in the morning. :o

If you would be interested in a tour of a research facility at CMU would be glad to show you all our toys. :D

I would indeed tywais... I'll send you a PM nearer the departure date to get our itinerary sorted. I reckon the missus would be keen to see the uni as well. :D

... but the only problem is...we only have four cars at the present and all are out at the moment. :D

What a pity... will they still be out on hire between 7-13 May? :D

Thanks for all the great replies guys... I'm looking forward to catching up with you all.

:D

... but the only problem is...we only have four cars at the present and all are out at the moment. :D

What a pity... will they still be out on hire between 7-13 May? :D

Just checked...all three Honda City's' are out, only one car available from 7th-13th in May is a 3+yr-old Toyota Soluna Automatic. Any period 7days and above shall be considered a weekly rate at Bt700/day; price is inclusive of Loss & Damage Waiver + First Class Personal Accident & Effects Insurance. :D

Free Vehicle "Pick-up" & Delivery within 15km from downtown Chiangmai; of course Chiangmai Airport included. :D

PM me your full name and flight details if you would like to take the car, and I shall have a car waiting for you at Chiangmai Airport upon your arrival. :D

Feel free to PM me if you have further inquiries. :D

Happy Songkran Festival :D

Again, I wish to specify, I'm not in this thread to tout business. It's the News Clipping section which interest me most. Thanks to Jai Dee for the contribution to the News Clipping section. :o

Again, I wish to specify, I'm not in this thread to tout business. It's the News Clipping section which interest me most. Thanks to Jai Dee for the contribution to the News Clipping section.

Thanks for your offer and your compliment cmarrent... I'll send you a PM.

And I already know that you haven't touted your business nor spammed the forum... I checked! :D

Cheers. :o

Any other TV members in Chiang Mai willing to get together for an ale or two?

Do your contacts also extend to logistics companies that could deliver to the Pattaya area?

Ideally, we'd drive around, buy what we liked, and then get someone to pick it all up and deliver the following week.

Bump!

:o

Bump!

I only know the guys that do FCL stuff and only to BKK.There are quite a few domestic guys around.As long as your trouble does the negotiating, then it's probably not too bad cost wise.

i'm sure some other people here have some first hand knowledge.

I met my boyfriend when he was a manager at Top North Hotel. At prices well under 1,000 baht per night, it's more basic than some of the others on the list, but its location at Tha Pae Gate is hard to beat. Chiang Mai Hill looks much nicer, but it's in the CMU area where I used to live. What about the Amari Rincome, on Huay Kaew/Nihemaen and the Superhighway? Convenient to lots of places without being quite so touristy as the Night Bazaar or Tha Pae gate areas.

Hearty breakfasts aren't that hard to find. Later in the day, if you're near Top North, there's also the Outback Cafe and its remodeled front restaurant whose name escapes me, owned by John from Scotland. Across the moat, I prefer JJ's to Art Cafe. Mike's Burgers is nearby that area, with a branch near Rincome.

JaiDee, don't stay downtown. With that rental car, go all the way up Doi Suthep, ride out to Queen Sirikit's gardens - don't just sit on the riverside with all the tourists! :o

Great place. Boyfriend's back there now for a visit, and we'll go in two months for a visit.

Thanks for the feedback mate. :o

Anyone else got a handle on logistics?

BTW, Nok Air have confirmed our reservations... up on the 7th, back on the 13th.

I'm looking forward to catching up with you guys.

JaiDee, don't stay downtown. With that rental car, go all the way up Doi Suthep, ride out to Queen Sirikit's gardens - don't just sit on the riverside with all the tourists! :D

That's exactly what I intend to do PB... I hope the car comes with an unlimited mileage package... :o

JaiDee, don't stay downtown. With that rental car, go all the way up Doi Suthep, ride out to Queen Sirikit's gardens - don't just sit on the riverside with all the tourists! :D

That's exactly what I intend to do PB... I hope the car comes with an unlimited mileage package... :o

No Limits :D

Except...off-roads :D

Thanks for the feedback mate. :o

Anyone else got a handle on logistics?

BTW, Nok Air have confirmed our reservations... up on the 7th, back on the 13th.

I'm looking forward to catching up with you guys.

................................................................................

Hiya JD,

Don,t know if they have the government transport facility in Chang Mai, E.T.O.

Express Transportation Organisation of Thailand

Got the following url from Google for there home page but it,s in Thai.

http://www.eto.mot.go.th/

I seem to recollect your Thai is very good so no problem for a scholar like yourself.

I used them to come to Udonthani fron Lampang and they moved the whole house for me.

The loaded it up and even gave us a lift in the cab to the new location.

The man in charge volunteered this for us and we thought it was a brilliant offer, not to be refused.

They charged by the distance at very low and fixed rates, no back handers needed either.

Not a bit of damage and very good indeed, we where very happy with them.

As you are purchasing your stuff it should be pre. packed for you anyway.

We gave the driver and the guys who unloaded at the new home a few baht in appreciation of a job well done.

If you contact the nearest depot they will be able to give you a quote. ( If they are in or near to C.M. )

This will vary on the amount of stuff to be moved as they allocate a wagon size accordingly.

marshbags :D:D:D

Edited by marshbags

Also Doi Intanon is a great trip up Hang Dong way near where ThaiPauly and I live. Also a drive on the Mae Rim/Samoeng ring has nice views. Both within 15-20 minutes of town.

Also Doi Intanon is a great trip up Hang Dong way near where ThaiPauly and I live. Also a drive on the Mae Rim/Samoeng ring has nice views. Both within 15-20 minutes of town.

This would be an appropriate moment to clarify that Tywais and I don't actually LIVE together :o

In fact I have yet to meet the Gentleman...but I am really looking forward to doing so:)

TP

This would be an appropriate moment to clarify that Tywais and I don't actually LIVE together :o

In fact I have yet to meet the Gentleman...but I am really looking forward to doing so:)

Trying to think of a response to this, couldn't come up with anything. :D I haven't been to the Secret Garden yet and TP is being polite not to broach the subject but perhaps a mini-meet there would be good.

Man, this guy LOVES his food...

Man, this guy LOVES his food...

He certainly does..always eats out...wonder what his waist size is?

Hi Jai Dee,

Since shopping is one of your main programs here you should plan on spending a few hours of your first afternoon/evening at the Sunday walking market. Hundreds of local producers from all over, including San kamphaeng, Ban Tawai, Hang Dong, etc. are displaying and selling there. Best way to see in one place most handicrafts offered in the area.

For a nice Hotel, I think one of the best values is the Lotus Pang Suan Kaew, especially their deluxe rooms which are more like a mini suite (your missus will like the rose petals strewn on the bed).

It is well located being connected to the Kad Suan Kaew shopping Mall on Huay Kaew Rd, quite close to the old city, near the NW corner of the moat. If you want, PM me and I can help get you a discounted rate at this or about any hotel in Chiang Mai. Here, including tax, service and free breakfast, the cost will be around 850 baht per night for the superior and a bit over 1,000 for the deluxe. Really nice olympic pool as well up on the seventh floor.

There are other nice hotels in other parts of town. All depends on where you want to be.

Look forward to seeing you.

Seeker