I'm Planning A Visit To CM...

Jai Dee

Have you finalized the accommodation thingy yet?

On places like precisionreservations.com (and hotels.chiangmai-online.com) you can get really good deals, for example on Tamarind Ville, which is very nice and very centrally located. (Around 1600 baht this time of year)

Would also look into Empress Hotel, and Rydges Amora

Cheers,

Chanchao

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I haven't finalized accommodation yet... my missus and I cannot agree on whether to stay in the one place for the entire week or not. An alternative we've been discussing is maybe stay in one place (central CM city) for 3-4 days, then stay out of town, somewhere "scenic" for a few days.

What do you good folk reckon? Any suggestions? :o

Everything else is sorted (air tickets, car hire).

You can either make a 3 or 4 day booking first then after you get here can either extend or shift to somewhere else or just make the booking for whole time in one central hotel and then enjoy visiting places in all directions. I would probably do the latter myself.

Well you have a car, so indeed you could stay somewhere a bit scenic part of the time.

Chiang Dao Nest? That's a bit out though, not fancy but clean, comfortable enough and good value. (www.chiangdao.com)

Then there's all the resorts on the Mae Sa Valley - Kritsada Doi loop, but they're so close to town that this area is very easily explored as just a day trip.

Mention Kritsada Doi to a Thai woman and they get all misty-eyed and excited, god knows why. Personally I'd pick something with a more remote feel, Chiang Dao is still pretty close, the Pai area also has a lot of nice accommodation options now. But Thai female's idea of being out in the wilderness is going to a landscaped resort and take 500 pictures of themselves hugging Salvia & Petunias.

Sorry for the generalizing, I'll stop now. :o Its not really flower season anymore anyway.

Cheers,

Chanchao

But Thai female's idea of being out in the wilderness is going to a landscaped resort and take 500 pictures of themselves hugging Salvia & Petunias.

:o

Ain't that right...?

:D

My missus does enjoy being a passenger looking at the scenery... about 4 years ago we drove everywhere possible in Kanchanburi, and she loved that. Last year we drove down to Phuket and back, and she loved that. We've driven from Chonburi to Surin, to Ubon, to Mukdahan, to Nong Khai, to Loei, and back,... and she always enjoys the scenery.

We hope to do the same in CM.

No, I haven't finalized accommodation yet... my missus and I cannot agree on whether to stay in the one place for the entire week or not. An alternative we've been discussing is maybe stay in one place (central CM city) for 3-4 days, then stay out of town, somewhere "scenic" for a few days.

What do you good folk reckon? Any suggestions? :D

A very nice place with 'scenery' is Belle Villa Resort on the Mae Rim ring and is in the hills. Our facility had a seminar there and later I took my wife there for a few days and proposed to her. :o You can either stay at the main hotel or rent a house on the same resort property.

http://www.bellevillaresort.com/chiangmai/photo01.html

Another place is Suan Bua Resort and Spa also on the Mae Rim ring but at the other end near Hang Dong. Also either hotel or house rental (if you want more privacy) :D

http://203.144.197.34/suanbua/home.htm

http://www.hotelthailand.com/chiangmai/suanbua/index.html

Tywais... you are a very helpful bloke.... I think you are great for going out of your way to help our soon to be "New Mate"

All of you are. :o

Any ideas on a location for our get-together yet?

Lindas Bar at the top of Loi Khroh,

we can work our way north or south from there and there will be plenty of eye candy while we are waiting for everyone to turn up.....

Nah thats probably a stupid suggestion !!!

Somebody else can chip in with a suggestion here... I wont be saying the CM Saloon !!

we can work our way north or south from there and there will be plenty of eye candy while we are waiting for everyone to turn up.....

Somebody else can chip in with a suggestion here... I wont be saying the CM Saloon !!

I used to hit Linda's bar when I was single and carried more then one friend out but if he is bringing the family, may not be so good. But on the other hand that corner is certainly the nightspot highlights. :D Curious concerning CM Saloon, always wanted to go there from what I've read on the forum. Over rated?

I would say the True Blue bar and restaurant where I used to be on the darts league. My closest friends used to run it but don't know who has it now. Another place close to it is the Bier Stube, used to eat there all the time. I just bring these up as 'quiet' places to start with and maybe get something to eat. Then saunder over across the street to the 'noiser' venues. :o

Edited by tywais

> Curious concerning CM Saloon, always wanted to go there from what I've read on the

> forum. Over rated?

Well...... I stopped going after it changed hands the first time, ages ago, and a food issue shortly after that change-of-hands.

***BUT*** then (well, last week) I 'discovered' the new branch on Ratwithee road, a bit down from the Irish Pub... WOW! That's a seriously well done place! Can't comment on the food there, but the place is spacious, aircon, well decorated and drinks are the right price!! (Well, the sang som coke anyway, can't comment on anything else but I'm sure it's okay, too. Perhaps some fancy-drink-drinkers can comment on the non-Sangsom repertoire)

Cheers,

Chanchao

I used to hit Linda's bar when I was single and carried more then one friend out but if he is bringing the family, may not be so good. But on the other hand that corner is certainly the nightspot highlights. :D Curious concerning CM Saloon, always wanted to go there from what I've read on the forum. Over rated?

I would say the True Blue bar and restaurant where I used to be on the darts league. My closest friends used to run it but don't know who has it now. Another place close to it is the Bier Stube, used to eat there all the time. I just bring these up as 'quite' places to start with and maybe get something to eat. Then saunder over across the street to the 'noiser' venues. :o

Had a beer in Lindas a couple of weeks ago but prefer the Gin Joint next door.... :D also the one straight across ..think..Big Max..aint too bad next to wot used to be the green mango.

Checked out the CM Saloon and again OK but full of cowboys.

True Blue is owned by "Scottish John" whom also I believe also owns the Hotel behind it...or..so he told me.

First met him about a year/2 ago in the OMs in Anusan market where he was working on organisating the fixtures for the local pool/darts league...or thereabouts.

True Blue is owned by "Scottish John" whom also I believe also owns the Hotel behind it...or..so he told me.

The hotel is called The Top North Hotel and I'm sure that Khun Charlie who owns both The Top North Guesthouse and The Top North Hotel would be interested in knowing more about his new Farang partner. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

The hotel is called The Top North Hotel and I'm sure that Khun Charlie who owns both The Top North Guesthouse and The Top North Hotel would be interested in knowing more about his new Farang partner. :o

Just did a quick web check on above and came up with this...... :D

also seems to be doing as said Pool league and things.....

FYI...

Tuesday Night at 8:30 p.m. – Free Quiz Night at True Blue Restaurant & Bar, 47 Moonmuang Rd (near Thapae Gate) hosted by the authoritative (some might say dictatorial) owner Scottish-John.

The quiz follows the usual format of six rounds of 10-12 questions including name the face-photographic hand out rounds. The remaining 5 rounds are selected from a large list of ever changing subjects, all with a full international flavour.

The winning team receives a 500B credit (which can be used at any time) with the runners up receiving a credit for 2 jugs of beer.

It is emphasised that this is not a UK or US based quiz but is truly international so anyone who can understand “Scottish-English is free to join in.

Contact Scottish John at True Blue Restaurant & Bar........Email -Removed...by me..... :D

as said met him but DONT KNOW HIM........ :D

The food at CM Saloon is pretty good - best bacon cheeseburger in town -
(sorry UG)

I would take Burger King's Whopper with Cheese and Bacon over the Saloon'. I ordered a couple of bacon cheeseburgers, but was not impressed with their bread (too-soft French roll), or the hamburger itself, which I found to be too mushy, lacking any kinda 'crunch'... or any taste of being bbq'd (to my taste)

My favorite is (was?) Fillmore East. Great beef and good Frech bread.

Edited by Ajarn

Well it's been a few days since any replies to this thread so I thought I'd give it another bump.

Next week I will be moving house and will have limited if any 'net access, the following will be in CM.

Where to meet up with you good folks?

And when?

My shout for the first round.

(sorry UG)

I would take Burger King's Whopper with Cheese and Bacon over the Saloon'. I ordered a couple of bacon cheeseburgers, but was not impressed with their bread (too-soft French roll), or the hamburger itself, which I found to be too mushy, lacking any kinda 'crunch'... or any taste of being bbq'd (to my taste)

My favorite was Easy Diner: Best American-style fast-food in Northern Thailand thanks to good ole' P1P!! :o

• 2 weeks later...
Well it's been a few days since any replies to this thread so I thought I'd give it another bump.

Next week I will be moving house and will have limited if any 'net access, the following will be in CM.

Where to meet up with you good folks?

And when?

My shout for the first round.

I think that a good place is the UN.irish pub in Ratchawithi Rd.They have a resturant and Garden bar downstairs and two bars up stars.(Good grub too)They also have 'leaners' where you can stand up and drink like a man :D .Also has big screen if there is any footy/cricket on.

The only bad thing about it is that it's run by an Aussie. :D

It's a good place to take the shelias along too, as there are not too many girlie bars near by.

What say ye??

Hi Jai Dee & all. My first reply...sorry, been a bit slack lately. So, what's the SP then? Where's the meet? Jai Dee did mention his other half would be with him so I guess Linda's may be a tad out of the question...Spotlight anyone :o

The Irish Pub or the True Blue could be good for a starter ...

Cheers

(sorry UG)

My favorite was Easy Diner: Best American-style fast-food in Northern Thailand thanks to good ole' P1P!! :o

Easy Diner was a true gem which lives on in our memories... and cellulites. :D

Also perhaps Chiang Mai Saloon, a bit past the Irish Pub? Last time I was there we left without ordering though... They dind't bother with the aircon that night, and it was just very very hot. Then went to the Irish Pub; they never have aircon obviously but the place was a lot breezier and more comfortable, temperature wise.

But.. if we can get them to turn on the aircon then Chiang Mai Saloon would be a good choice.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I went to the (new) Saloon near the Irish Pub a few days ago and saw the air-con, but didn't think that it worked.

My friend and I were miserable and sweltering, and now I am POed that they were too cheap to cool the place down.

Heat is the big drawback at both Saloons in my opinion. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I went to the (new) Saloon near the Irish Pub a few days ago and saw the air-con, but didn't think that it worked.

My friend and I were miserable and sweltering, and now I am POed that they were too cheap to cool the place down.

personally, if it's a meet up I like the idea of standing up.I don't know what the knew saloon is like in that regard.

personally, if it's a meet up I like the idea of standing up.I don't know what the knew saloon is like in that regard.

I'm pretty sure that Ron will let you stand up if you want to.

Just don't ask to run a tab on your beer! :D

I'm pretty sure that Ron will let you stand up if you want to.

Just don't ask to run a tab on your beer! :D

No tab = not drink there :D

OK everyone, I'm here!!! :D

Currently staying at the Lotus Pang Suan Kheow, currently logged in at the internet cafe in the Central plaza... nearly all shopped out already... at least the budget's been blown... :D

Mai bpen rai... the missus is stoked that we've bought so much for what would have cost 4-5 times as much back in Pattaya or Bangkok. :D

So... when and where to meet?

The UN.irish pub in Ratchawithi Rd that Chuchok mentioned sounded good to me :D

Late afternoon or evening?

How does Thursday sound? Kick off at say 6PM?

I'll buy the first round.... and Chuchok can buy the last... :o

I'll check back online tomorrow night to see what's the vote.

Cheers all... looking forward to meeting you guys. I do envy you a little bit... CM's a wonderful town... and living here would be magic. :D

We've driven from Chonburi to Surin, to Ubon, to Mukdahan, to Nong Khai, to Loei, and back,... and she always enjoys the scenery.

Sounds like the time has come for you to teach the missus how to drive mate, it is your turn to enjoy the er, um *changs* as your driven pst the scenery. :o

I didn't bring the old boy on our trip to Wat Kao Pra Viharn for no reason :D:D

Well, actually as you well remember it was probably his driving that drove me to get stuck into the *chang* on the way :D

I hope your having great time JD and Mrs JD, look forward to seeing you soon.

OK everyone, I'm here!!! :D

Currently staying at the Lotus Pang Suan Kheow, currently logged in at the internet cafe in the Central plaza... nearly all shopped out already... at least the budget's been blown... :D

Mai bpen rai... the missus is stoked that we've bought so much for what would have cost 4-5 times as much back in Pattaya or Bangkok. :D

So... when and where to meet?

The UN.irish pub in Ratchawithi Rd that Chuchok mentioned sounded good to me :D

Late afternoon or evening?

How does Thursday sound? Kick off at say 6PM?

I'll buy the first round.... and Chuchok can buy the last... :o

I'll check back online tomorrow night to see what's the vote.

Cheers all... looking forward to meeting you guys. I do envy you a little bit... CM's a wonderful town... and living here would be magic. :D

Mr jai Dee has made a big mistake re dates etc (well he is Orrrstraaalian....)

Piss up is for Friday and not thursday.Any complaints, please call tuky,as a fellow Orstralian, he should be held accountable as well. :D