'Father of tourism' slams Phuket greed

webfact

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good ideas, but he will never be voted into any position of governing control. Pity ... sad.png

Yes, for sure, he sounds like he knows what he's talking about , that for sure will make sure he does not ever get into government on the island!

• Like 2

He must be well connected to issue criticism of the powers that be on Phuket whilst simultaneously running some big businesses there.

He runs big businesses, and is therefore well connected and able to issue criticisms.

Agreed with your comment, just not its order. laugh.png wai2.gif

Even though this sounds like a good start and a glimmer of hope for Phuket, I read between the lines that the core and most pressing issues, like Tuk Tuk and taxi mafia, the parking situations, IMPACT of LOCALS on TOURISTS (i.e. bludgeoning, stabbing, beating, head-on collisioning them to death), safety, water, waste, etc. will remain virtually ignored. It takes a little more than beach cleanups, whining about people's greed and pointing out previous achievements to clean up and reinvent Phuket and restore confidence not only in Phuket as a tourism destination but Thailand as a whole.

I don't want to poor scorn on what this bloke says as I agree with most of it, but...

But people's greed has grown, which has resulted in their good-heartedness shrivelling and criminality growing.

According to the owners of the supermarket that is up on the left in soi Cokmakham in Rawai (the soi opposite Nikita's restaurant on the beach), the land opposite the supermarket - on the east side of the soi - is owned by this man. And all that land has now been fenced off. So no parking there any more while visiting the supermarket and almost impossible to turn around in the soi. A lot of premises in that soi with wide access have now put down items to stop vehicles turning round.

The supermarket owners said they offered to rent some land opposite their supermarket as a car park, but he wasn't interested.

Yes, I know it's his land and he can do what he wants with it. Flame on!

Despite the pressure for change voiced by foreign ambassadors -with the notable exception of the US ambassador- real change will only come from the Thais, them selves.

Time will tell if they have the will to confront some of the more outlandish scams...

• Like 1

The man didn't mention the real problems, why?

The core problem is that tourists quite fancy the idea of having a vacation that doesn't involve getting beaten to a pulp, murdered, chopped in half with a boat propeller, ripped off by rifle waving jet ski scammers, robbed, mugged and........blah blah.

They'd maybe even handle the idea of an untidy beach if they could be spared the rest of it. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Even though this sounds like a good start and a glimmer of hope for Phuket, I read between the lines that the core and most pressing issues, like Tuk Tuk and taxi mafia, the parking situations, IMPACT of LOCALS on TOURISTS (i.e. bludgeoning, stabbing, beating, head-on collisioning them to death), safety, water, waste, etc. will remain virtually ignored. It takes a little more than beach cleanups, whining about people's greed and pointing out previous achievements to clean up and reinvent Phuket and restore confidence not only in Phuket as a tourism destination but Thailand as a whole.

Excellent post and identification of the real issues. Cleaning the beaches is so far down the list of real priorities but he can say this as it is directed at no one in particular.

I've never visited Phuket, but have other parts of Thailand. I think the word 'Envy' should replace that of 'greed', and I think a fair number of tourists treat Thais as if they are 2nd/3rd-class citizens very much like many 17th-19th century European colonials did. On the other hand, Thailand has always been very 'inward-looking', values the fact that it was never Colonised as was the case with virtually all the countries that surrounded it. If, Thailand got those running it's tourist industry to be intensively trained by their European and American counterparts, so they knew first hand how 'differently' tourism industry operates outside Thailand, and then gave these people the 'Teeth' to change things via regulations in Thailand, many more people would visit the country. This is of course a rather generalised view of how things currently are,

I particularly like this bit:

Moreover, governors appointed by the Central Government come for just a short period of time and move on. "How could they solve the problems in such a time frame?"

I reckon there's a "Phuket lottery" in Bangkok. All the prospective governors buy a ticket and the lucky one gets to come here for a couple of years. It's just like winning the real lottery - no need to do anything, just sit back and watch the money come rolling in.

Bullshit!! Head of the snake IMHO...no word on the local mafia? No word on private taxis? No word on ridiculous prices? If the beach is his only problem than who cares what he said

IMHO after reading the entire article, GREED says a lot to what you are talking about without speaking to each disaster one at a time. If anybody really cares what you said or think. I'm really looking forward to your next post, NOT!

I wonder, do the Phuket beach front traders, e.g. pay a reasonable levy to carry on their business on the beach and if so how is this money spent.

In Queensland all the major towns have beach cleaning tractors running up and down the beaches early morning with sifters leaning the sand so that when the users arrive the beach is perfectly clean. This is a council service.

This guy needs to be the next governor....at least he can see that this place is in dire need of some serious action if it is to regain its lost sheen....

A huge task at hand because the rot is so deeply entrenched , by so many and varied self interests from the basic lounger on the beach right up to the multi million baht land grab scams and all interests in between..

Where the hell would one even start?

Start right the waters edge and work inland. Jetsky's first, then beach traders, Taxis & Tuk Tuks, then Hotels, Bars and restaurants and so on. Form an office for each of these stages and keep them under strict supervision, no corruption allowed in any office.

Edited by oldsailor35