'Father of tourism' slams Phuket greed

webfact

If he is the father of Thai tourism, and by my own belief Thais are greedy, then logic dictates that he is also the father of greed.

Taking that into consideration, the question begs to be asked, "What does a greedy man do when he finds himself on the outside looking in at all the other people eating large portions of the pie?"

Logically you make no sense what so ever.

Most of Thailand is not a tourist area. Yet you say that all Thai's are greedy and it is because of the actions of one man about 30 years ago. Was there no greed in Thailand before he took action to promote Phuket as a tourism destination?facepalm.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he is the father of Thai tourism, and by my own belief Thais are greedy, then logic dictates that he is also the father of greed.

Taking that into consideration, the question begs to be asked, "What does a greedy man do when he finds himself on the outside looking in at all the other people eating large portions of the pie?"

"If he is the father of Thai tourism, and by my own belief Thais are greedy, then logic dictates that he is also the father of greed."

That may be your belief,and you're entitled to that, but that doesn't automatically make it logical or factual in any way.

To be a successful businessman doesn't automatically or logically make him greedy IMO.

He obviously didn't get to where he is by not being smart, and as a smart businessman he can see the potential disaster looming for Phuket and is speaking out about it,and being a smart businessman entails making an attempt to rectify the situation ..sure its for his own good as well as others, but greedy???

So he is putting forward his own money to help with Phukets problems?

• Like 1

It is nice for a successful Thai business person to critically comment on phuket and not mention crime and corruption. I am sure he has the capacity but it is a terrible omission in that article given where and how he has earnt his money.

Put it this way. I will never go back to phuket. And i live here.

And i think there are thousands like me.

Why?? the viral developement chaos around the island and the crime. Just don't feel safe.

Bullshit!! Head of the snake IMHO...no word on the local mafia? No word on private taxis? No word on ridiculous prices? If the beach is his only problem than who cares what he said

Obviously you didn't read the article properly before you posted......;;smile.png

In part he also said..., that the lack of any real tourism planning had allowed the island to spiral “out of control”.

The result, he says, is general disorganisation, with deteriorating environment: dirty and unorganised beach area, airport congestion, traffic jams, negative impact on local people and other problems. “

As long as tourist coming in by thousands and thousands, nobody in charge sees the necessity to change anything.

This applies not only for Phuket.

Went to Koh Tao recently and was shocked to see one full ferry boat after the other pouring hundreds of tourist, mostly Chinese or Koreans, onto the tiny but beautiful island of Koh Nangyuang.

In the meantime Thailand became a destination of mass tourism and it doesn't look like it's changing in the intermediate future.

So why should the authorities bother ?

Finally, the voice of reason in Phuket. No wonder K Wichit is the Godfather of Tourism in Phuket. Hopefully the tourism authority and local leaders will listen to his wisdom and act accordingly. Otherwise Thailand will turn one of its valuable gems into a lackluster piece of coal. I have lived here full time for four years and have seen the slide firsthand. A quick look around Kata Beach, potentially one of the best in the world, will prove his point. The area around the beach and the klong on the north end are filthy and completely un-managed. Tuk Tuks are out of control. The ariport is poor. These are old problems. The biggest and new problem is the pandering to low end tourists which has run off the higher quality tourist causing a slowdown in many businesses and escalating crime. The lower end tourists don't spend money and business are closing. They also don't invest in middle to high end condos and run off those who would to other destinations. The future for Phuket will then be low end hotels, lowering the value of once very valuable property.

K Wichit is also right that tourism officials seem to be looking at the short term data and not the long term results. There is more to tourism numbers than occupancy. How much are the tourists spending and how are they behaving is equally important. Reducing the amount of charter flights will force tourists to purchase their tickets and make their own plans which will help the return of a higher quality tourist while enhancing the airline industry in Thailand at the same time. Also, there is a large base of retired residents who could be mobilized to help clean and protect the beaches if mobilized and organized.

I applaud K Wichit for his wisdom and hope the leaders of the community realize the problem before it is too late and look for positive solutions.

Many of us love Phuket and want to see the island remain beautiful and safe for the residents and tourists. It is up to the government and business leaders to make it happen. I wish them success and the courage to make hard decisions.

• Like 1

Interviewed by a new Thai-language magazine, Saphan Hin, Mr Wichit, whose family owns the Pearl Hotel in Phuket Town, the Indigo Pearl Resort at Nai Yang Beach, and the Toyota dealerships on the island, among other businesses, said that the lack of any real tourism planning had allowed the island to spiral “out of control”.

probably left out he has a big hand in all the local assosiations, responsible for a lot of greed : taxis, legal or not ... drive what kind of car : toyota and he has all the dealerships on the island... says enough

hidden head of snake for sure

and he does not like competition... all those pesky farangs comming to invest in HIS island

probably left out he has a big hand in all the local assosiations, responsible for a lot of greed : taxis, legal or not ... drive what kind of car : toyota and he has all the dealerships on the island... says enough

hidden head of snake for sure

and he does not like competition... all those pesky farangs comming to invest in HIS island

^^^^^^^^^^^ Where does it suggest this? No mention of it in this article..blink.png

Come on!!!!, as long as there's snow on them mountains, there be skiers, as long as there's a wet, moist area, there'll be divers, as long as there's plumbing that needs fixed, there'll be plumbers, let the government test the grey water and ban the already illegal prostitution, hands up!!!!, who thinks, no ladies would kill Phuket, whats the number 1 reason most people visit Phuket????, prevention is better then cure, we've all heard, "i've no customers so i charge more, farang have big money, tip????", there's a box and very few Thai's think outside it, i know some very honest Thai's, but the system makes them question there own integrity.coffee1.gif

Lancelot posted

Despite the pressure for change voiced by foreign ambassadors -with the notable exception of the US ambassador

Lance would it shock you to discover that Denmark has more package holiday makers in Phuket than the United States does? Yet it is true. And while Americans more certainly get in trouble in Phuket, it’s far less an issue with the US because they do not have the package tourist numbers the EU does

Maybe a better way to get your head around this issue is to take a moment and ponder the fact that both the American and Canadian consuls made an inquiry-voiced their concerns regarding problems in Guaymas Mexico for their citizens. No EU or Australian ambassadors joined in ( shock, gasp, horror). This is not a surprise because their citizens are a small percentage of holiday makers in the Sea of Cortez, Baja Sonora region of Mexico.

Finally, the voice of reason in Phuket. No wonder K Wichit is the Godfather of Tourism in Phuket. Hopefully the tourism authority and local leaders will listen to his wisdom and act accordingly. Otherwise Thailand will turn one of its valuable gems into a lackluster piece of coal. I have lived here full time for four years and have seen the slide firsthand. A quick look around Kata Beach, potentially one of the best in the world, will prove his point. The area around the beach and the klong on the north end are filthy and completely un-managed. Tuk Tuks are out of control. The ariport is poor. These are old problems. The biggest and new problem is the pandering to low end tourists which has run off the higher quality tourist causing a slowdown in many businesses and escalating crime. The lower end tourists don't spend money and business are closing. They also don't invest in middle to high end condos and run off those who would to other destinations. The future for Phuket will then be low end hotels, lowering the value of once very valuable property.

K Wichit is also right that tourism officials seem to be looking at the short term data and not the long term results. There is more to tourism numbers than occupancy. How much are the tourists spending and how are they behaving is equally important. Reducing the amount of charter flights will force tourists to purchase their tickets and make their own plans which will help the return of a higher quality tourist while enhancing the airline industry in Thailand at the same time. Also, there is a large base of retired residents who could be mobilized to help clean and protect the beaches if mobilized and organized.

I applaud K Wichit for his wisdom and hope the leaders of the community realize the problem before it is too late and look for positive solutions.

Many of us love Phuket and want to see the island remain beautiful and safe for the residents and tourists. It is up to the government and business leaders to make it happen. I wish them success and the courage to make hard decisions.

In the 75 replies to date on this thread, yours Sir stands head and shoulders above all the rest.

I hope one of the local rags will take note and publish it.

If this guy is the "Father of tourism" - I'm calling him a butterfly. smile.pngsmile.png

Where has he been whilst Phuket has been slowly sliding down the greed and corruption S-bend?

probably having his criticisms published in Thai language...

I have visited Phuket a handful of times and I agree that Phuket has the edge for scams, high prices and general unfriendlyness.

I can't think of any place that recovered of such a negative mood in a useful timeframe though.

Get all those smiling, multi-amulet gold chain wearers with reflective sunglasses against a wall... ready... aim... shoot!

I do not debate anything Wichit has said, furthermore would not argue that Phuket is not the worst tourist destination in SE Asia where the cancer known by the name of greed is endemic.

Thai's hate Caucasians including the Caucasian tourists that are the hands that feed them. (probably hate all tourists for that matter)

Greed is at the very grassroots of life throughout the realm.

Greed is the motivational factor in all facets of life in the realm. It is greed, greed and more 'eff*# greed..

They would benefit by being psychoanalysed by Sigmund Freud himself "who would probably have to admit defeat" bah.gif

Time for you to go home ? sadly I agree with what you say,

What he is saying is that if the beaches suck the large number of tourists will not come. All of the other issues just compound the problem.

A friend of mine from San Diego visited Thailand for the first time this year. He was traveling with Thai and also American expats. He loved Thailand, but hated Phuket. He said it was crowded, dirty, smelled bad, expensive, and the beaches were nothing special.

You only get one chance to make a first impression......

I tell people to visit southern Thailand, but to avoid Phuket.

I don't want to poor scorn on what this bloke says as I agree with most of it, but...

But people's greed has grown, which has resulted in their good-heartedness shrivelling and criminality growing.

According to the owners of the supermarket that is up on the left in soi Cokmakham in Rawai (the soi opposite Nikita's restaurant on the beach), the land opposite the supermarket - on the east side of the soi - is owned by this man. And all that land has now been fenced off. So no parking there any more while visiting the supermarket and almost impossible to turn around in the soi. A lot of premises in that soi with wide access have now put down items to stop vehicles turning round.

The supermarket owners said they offered to rent some land opposite their supermarket as a car park, but he wasn't interested.

Yes, I know it's his land and he can do what he wants with it. Flame on!

He was probably fed up to see his land used as a public dumpster site.
  • Like 1

"If he is the father of Thai tourism, and by my own belief Thais are greedy, then logic dictates that he is also the father of greed."

That may be your belief,and you're entitled to that, but that doesn't automatically make it logical or factual in any way.

To be a successful businessman doesn't automatically or logically make him greedy IMO.

He obviously didn't get to where he is by not being smart, and as a smart businessman he can see the potential disaster looming for Phuket and is speaking out about it,and being a smart businessman entails making an attempt to rectify the situation ..sure its for his own good as well as others, but greedy???

Yes; greedy... which is the defining word for Thais.

Point me in the direction where there is a valid regulatory commission that controls greed and avarice, and which fairly represents and protects consumers and I will readjust my beiief.

If you want facts, then it is a fact that there exists no regulation on Thai greed. Yes, it exists all over the world, but here in Thailand, and unlike other countries, there is no means whereby victims can get fair representation, and whereby businesses are held accountable to a standard.

Come on now. You are joking. Everyone knows that in Thailand corruption is the norm. There is no accountability or responsibility towards others. Moreover, any mistakes or injuries can be paid off with under-the-table deals. That is the fact, and this man came up through these same ranks of the people he is complaining about. What you suggest exists on the surface is a charade. You truly believe he is an honest businessman? You think he is somehow separate from the league of corrupt business peers that he grew up with? You think that they all look upon him as a separate entity and is pure and blameless apart from them? I do not.

I do not know anything about him, nor his past. And based on that lack of information, I'll stick with my views and observations of the general behavior and lack of positive results that Thais are famous for.

In a nutshell, he is simply another big wig spouting off about the woes of Thailand but he has no teeth and gumption to back up those words. This is a regular event in the news; big wigs spouting off about the woes of Thailand to give the appearance of purity and wisdom. Yet nothing ever changes... ever!

Yes; greedy... which is the defining word for Thais.

Point me in the direction where there is a valid regulatory commission that controls greed and avarice, and which fairly represents and protects consumers and I will readjust my beiief.

If you want facts, then it is a fact that there exists no regulation on Thai greed. Yes, it exists all over the world, but here in Thailand, and unlike other countries, there is no means whereby victims can get fair representation, and whereby businesses are held accountable to a standard.

Come on now. You are joking. Everyone knows that in Thailand corruption is the norm. There is no accountability or responsibility towards others. Moreover, any mistakes or injuries can be paid off with under-the-table deals. That is the fact, and this man came up through these same ranks of the people he is complaining about. What you suggest exists on the surface is a charade. You truly believe he is an honest businessman? You think he is somehow separate from the league of corrupt business peers that he grew up with? You think that they all look upon him as a separate entity and is pure and blameless apart from them? I do not.

I do not know anything about him, nor his past. And based on that lack of information, I'll stick with my views and observations of the general behavior and lack of positive results that Thais are famous for.

In a nutshell, he is simply another big wig spouting off about the woes of Thailand but he has no teeth and gumption to back up those words. This is a regular event in the news; big wigs spouting off about the woes of Thailand to give the appearance of purity and wisdom. Yet nothing ever changes... ever!

I think there's a subtle lack of respect being shown here ....

Greed is considered, by some people, to be a defining characteristic of "success". Some call it the "invisible hand" of Adam Smith's version of Capitalism, a force of self-interest that fuels competition and thus runs an economy in harmony. Greed taken to an extreme is a negative force that erodes the quality of an economy, but nevertheless some people benefit enormously from being greedy and this, I believe, is a formula for success that fuels much of the ugliness referred to in this article. Thus, some might say that Phuket is just catching up to the philosophy Investors from abroad bring, who come here with greed as the prevailing theme of their interest in investing in Phuket. One might further say that Greed has been imported and woven into the fabric of Phuket life. Or was this type of greed already inculcated into the Thai mentality but hidden under a guise of politeness? Why have Phuket natives so quickly and easily adapted to greed like this?

Edited by me313

Greed is considered, by some people, to be a defining characteristic of "success". Some call it the "invisible hand" of Adam Smith's version of Capitalism, a force of self-interest that fuels competition and thus runs an economy in harmony. Greed taken to an extreme is a negative force that erodes the quality of an economy, but nevertheless some people benefit enormously from being greedy and this, I believe, is a formula for success that fuels much of the ugliness referred to in this article. Thus, some might say that Phuket is just catching up to the philosophy Investors from abroad bring, who come here with greed as the prevailing theme of their interest in investing in Phuket. One might further say that Greed has been imported and woven into the fabric of Phuket life. Or was this type of greed already inculcated into the Thai mentality but hidden under a guise of politeness? Why have Phuket natives so quickly and easily adapted to greed like this?

me313 you pose some good questions.

I think some of the answers to these maybe found, in what the out of province Thais think about the indigenous Phuket people.

I don't know how long you have been here, or whether this is true or false, but I have often heard that the locals are referred to as having a black heart.

Now before you all jump on your keyboards, I have just had some clarification of this, it does not refer solely to Phuket seemingly, but southern Thailand as a whole.

I suppose much in the way that the Scots are renown for their generosity.

Secondly Phuket is an island, island people are different, and due to its geographical location, I think it was one of the last provinces in Thailand to truly come under the rule of Bangkok.

Another way of looking at this perceived greed phenomenon, is that for the islanders themselves who weren't blessed with inherited land, greed could be interpreted as just survival.

If you do not amass enough funds quickly enough, maybe your plot of land will always be out of reach, due to the sky rocketing land prices.

Finally perhaps the generation of the pre tourist boom back in the seventies, rarely showed this characteristic of greed.

I think some of the answers to these maybe found, in what the out of province Thais think about the indigenous Phuket people.

I don't know how long you have been here, or whether this is true or false, but I have often heard that the locals are referred to as having a black heart.

Now before you all jump on your keyboards, I have just had some clarification of this, it does not refer solely to Phuket seemingly, but southern Thailand as a whole.

Secondly Phuket is an island, island people are different, and due to its geographical location, I think it was one of the last provinces in Thailand to truly come under the rule of Bangkok.

Another way of looking at this perceived greed phenomenon, is that for the islanders themselves who weren't blessed with inherited land, greed could be interpreted as just survival.

If you do not amass enough funds quickly enough, maybe your plot of land will always be out of reach, due to the sky rocketing land prices.

Finally perhaps the generation of the pre tourist boom back in the seventies, rarely showed this characteristic of greed.

Very few indigenous Phuket people in the truest sense

Very few indigenous Phuket people in the truest sense

I've met a few ''Phuket natives,families," but i would guess that their population would be a small percentage...so that nulls or maybe minimises the significance of this question..'Why have Phuket natives so quickly and easily adapted to greed like this?

It seems more and more from other provinces come here to ''take advantage'' of the place and qualify for the greed title.

I think the Chinese background of Thais is prominent in the success in a lot of the business community. Chinese are generally known as astute business people.

I think that some are confusing being successful in business with being greedy...the two are not neccessarily linked.

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 1

THe most successful families, of which there are onyl a few here in Phuket, no doubt were gifted lands & or given privelidges long ago. So we now get to the generations that believe wholeheartedly thats its their RIGHT to do as they please! So far no one has said or done anything to lead them to believe otherwise.......