Sophon broadband internet in Pattaya

Lenthai

We have this internet service for a while now and many many problems.

This weekend again no internet at all. Mondaymorning we called them and after 22 attempts we got a lady on the phone, who informed us, that there was indeed again a problem, a fiberglass cable was broken and repair should take at least the whole day maybe longer.

When i told her, that there where a lot of problems with Sophon, she agreed!!!!! and that she could understood that we should change providers.

You are right. Internet service from all providers is a problem. It might come because of the quality of the cables they are using. And i agree with you, that customer service at TOT and 3BB is not what you expect. Sophon answers the phone, and try to assist you. No way with TOT and 3BB. Even paying bills at the offices of these last two companies is not pleasant. I paid one time a bill in the 3BB office at Pattaya Klang, and when i ask the girl why i had to pay more than mentionned on my invoice, she just walked away. Had to wait for another guy, who also could not inform me properly. So, i stay with Sophon now, and last night it worked again.

• Like 1

My TOT line in Jomtien has been working surprisingly well the last 4 months, sometimes it disconnects but only for a few minutes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Do you think that the alternatives (True, TOT, 3BB) are any better ?

At least with Sophon you got to talk to someone who at least admitted that you were not the problem

My 3BB is working great not a problem what so ever, been a customer for 5 years. Best provider in town.

• Like 1

My 3BB is working great not a problem what so ever, been a customer for 5 years. Best provider in town.

You must be one of the very few. I got sick and tired of the amount of downtime with 3BB and the icing on the cake was having someone on the end of a phone telling me it was my or my computers fault............ Got Sophon 3 hours after ordering it, I have the occasional glitch and they deal with it very promptly.

You must be one of the very few. I got sick and tired of the amount of downtime with 3BB and the icing on the cake was having someone on the end of a phone telling me it was my or my computers fault............ Got Sophon 3 hours after ordering it, I have the occasional glitch and they deal with it very promptly.

I agree about Sophon. Had them for three years, moved house three times and the reinstalls have always been there on the day as arranged - on one move they were waiting for us as we arrived with the first truckload of gear and had already run the cable to the street.

Only had downtime on three occasions that I can recall and they responded quickly on all occasions. Once was a cable ripped down by a bus and another was repairs to some major cable. The most recent was last weekend and involved an alleged faulty power cable on the modem - that was a bit strange but nevertheless they responded and fixed it.

Moving house again next week and will expect the same service. If not I'll report back.

I was always a big fan of Sophon, I thought their customer service was amazing.

I'd complain and then somebody would be out same day..

But there was one time they did let me down... They promised to send somebody on a Saturday and they didn't show. Then they promised to send somebody on the Sunday who also didn't show... Eventually they turned up on the Monday and I gave them their kit back and told them to cancel it.

I had a back-up line, so it was not urgent (I explained this).. but they ruined my whole weekend by making me wait-in!

They could have told me 5 days and I wouldn't have cared, but that was one wasted weekend and I was not a happy chap!

I think it's down to location .

I have had Sophon cable Internet for about 3.5 years in both home and business.

No problems at all and if there was a problem, they came out fast to fix each time.

The one in business is literally about 200 meters from their office and (touch wood) always strong and fast. In about 3 years was down may be 3 times for max of few hours

At least with Sophon you got to talk to someone who at least admitted that you were not the problem

There is another alternative....CAT... with very good customer service. They'll be at your front door in no time if you have a problem.

... but to be fair, I found Sophon Broadband service exceptional.

With the bargain basement prices of TOT and 3BB services, what do you expect? I've had a 3BB line (premier) as a backup for many years. It's pretty good mostly, but if there is a problem, who you gonna call? The only service I haven't tried is True - not for want of trying, but because they're not available in my area yet. 3BB are currently rolling out a fast fiber optic service with good promo prices. It might be worth a try if it is available in your area. I'll be keen to hear some preliminary reports.

Edited by tropo

Have been very happy with Sophon internet for several years now and they have usually been very quick to resolve problems. I did have an issue with them a couple of months back where it was down for 3 days but they said they were waiting for BTV to fix something so not sure if they share some equipment somewhere.

• 4 months later...

I can't seem to find a website for sophon broadband if anyone has one that might show package prices etc?

Also can a farang pay monthly or do they want 6 months or 1 year up front payment?

I can't seem to find a website for sophon broadband if anyone has one that might show package prices etc?

Also can a farang pay monthly or do they want 6 months or 1 year up front payment?

Do not know about farangs, but i am a foreigner and pay by the month

http://www.sophonbb.net/

Well if you are a foreigner then you are a farang,

Anyways thanks but I tried that site earlier and it's no good. It says click on your area (which the drop down menue doesn't have many) and even when I tried another area it didn't do anything. There is no "search" button etc.

Do not know about farangs, but i am a foreigner and pay by the month

http://www.sophonbb.net/

Well if you are a foreigner then you are a farang,

Anyways thanks but I tried that site earlier and it's no good. It says click on your area (which the drop down menue doesn't have many) and even when I tried another area it didn't do anything. There is no "search" button etc.

Ehhh NO, and for a fluent Thai speaker, you should know the difference and if you do not....... farang is european or westerner. I am neither by choice, I am a foreigner., its called self respectthumbsup.gif

You can pop down to the Pattaya Tai Sophon shop and pick up a rate card.

oK i'M EITHER DUMB OR BLIND OR BOTH BUT i WENT TO sOPHON ON pATTAYA tHAI TODAY NEAR TUKCOM BUT THE SHOP WAS CLOSED UP. i DON'T MEAN JUST CLOSED. oops caps. So I went to Soi Sophon off Pattaya Klang but the said different all together and told me to go to Pattata Tai which I just did.

I have been calling their number since yesterday but no answer at all.

Any suggestions? Anyone who has it have another number for them on your bill? I called 038-423-000 from their website.

Sophon prices here:

http://www.sophonbb.net/net/pro.php

Those are 2012 prices but still valid, I think.

The place in Soi Sophon is for cable TV only, as far as I know.

Yes, their website is crap and doesnt work, just like many websites here.

Maybe the shop was closed today because it's Constitution Day? Like many Thai offices it often looks deserted and closed down even when it's open. It was open last month when I paid my bill.

Sophon prices here:

http://www.sophonbb.net/net/pro.php

Those are 2012 prices but still valid, I think.

The place in Soi Sophon is for cable TV only, as far as I know.

Yes, their website is crap and doesnt work, just like many websites here.

Maybe the shop was closed today because it's Constitution Day? Like many Thai offices it often looks deserted and closed down even when it's open. It was open last month when I paid my bill.

Thanks for that link. I didn't realize today was Constitution Day mate so thanks. That must be why CAT was also closed. I will try again tomorrow.

With the internet I have now snail speed would be better lol. Seems I will opt for the 8m/512k for 990 baht.

Thanks again !

You can save a bit by paying a year in advance. You can save more by buying your router in Tukcom rather than from Sophon.

Personally I would start with the cheap package and see how you like it. As far as I know you can upgrade without penalty at any time but it's worth checking with them before you pay.

No matter how much you pay you probably will not get the full speed of your package outside of Thailand at peak times or to Europe at any time. YMMV.

You can save a bit by paying a year in advance. You can save more by buying your router in Tukcom rather than from Sophon.

Personally I would start with the cheap package and see how you like it. As far as I know you can upgrade without penalty at any time but it's worth checking with them before you pay.

No matter how much you pay you probably will not get the full speed of your package outside of Thailand at peak times or to Europe at any time. YMMV.

GREAT advice thank you again. I actually do have my old router stashed somewhere so will use it and also good advice starting with a cheaper package but if you know what my speed was right now you would agree that writing letters and sending them via mail is almost faster lol so again, thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Beware if your in the BTV designated areas where Sophon Broadband share their cable and boxes in the street.  Especially in East Pattaya, my connection has been down for weeks and Sophon finally came clean about BTV locking them out of their patch box in the street.  Supposedly due to an upgrade as Sophons equipment is old and incompatible.  

So Sophon broadband have effectively been kicked out and BTV are now offering the same internet service with free cable TV.  

I am now going through the hassle of trying to get a refund on what's left of my 1 year in advance payment for Sophon broadband.

Of course the cost will increase using BTV as they are now a monopoly for cable internet in those areas where they have upgraded.  I also believe both companies are owned by the same people as the staff mentioned they are effectively the same company. However Sophon have neither the money or desire to spend the money to upgrade the equipment to retain their customers.

If you don't mind pulling a bit more money from your pocket every month, you could try CAT.

I've been with CAT for just over a year now and it's been good. You have to make sure you get the .p (premium connection) and not the .s (standard connection) - a difference in contention ratio.

You'll get English speaking customer service immediately on the phone 24/7, and a serviceman out that day or the next if you have problems.

It's interesting that the only problem we've had in the year was last week when the internet went down due a fiber optic cable broken in our area. Of course you can imagine that if anyone is going to get broken lines fixed fast it's CAT as they own the backbone.

Sophon Cable is through CAT.

I've tried Sophon broadband twice over the last 3 years - paid for the premium service which is the same price as the corresponding CAT services nearly down to a single baht. Unfortunately it was not reliable, but their customer service was spot on.

I have a 3BB service too - premium - and that's always been reliable (8 years).

Having 2 services is the only way I can guarantee 100% connectivity all the time. If the 3BB goes down I just switch over or visa versa. There's no use calling 3BB - just wait.

Before someone mentions that having 2 services is overkill, I now use some new technology, Connectify Switchboard (still in beta testing - uses a speed server) and Connectify Dispatch, so I can use both connections at once. It combines your connections in Windows (or Mac) for a combined speed of the two, or if one goes down or slows down it utilizes the other. You can combine as many connections as you like including 3G from your mobile phone (Bluetooth or USB). I tried that a few weeks ago and got very fast speeds. 3G connections have bandwidth limits, so using it all the time would become very expensive, but you can set the program to use a connection as a backup only in case the others go down or slow down.

Here's a little demo to a speedtest.net server in BKK. This is combining a 3Mb/1Mb (3BB) and a 7Mb/1Mb (CAT) connection. As you can see I reached a peak download speed of 12.29 Mb/s. The red and blue lines are the individual connections - the black line is the combined speed. (Just in case anyone is wondering why I have such slow services - they're premium services which cost a lot more. I don't mind trading speed for reliability and I'm more concerned with upload speed anyway). You can combine 2 wireless connections if you get a USB receiver for the 2nd, or as in this demo I'm using one connection through LAN and the other is wireless.

The speedtest result was 10Mbps/1.6Mbps. I can never achieve more than 1Mbps upload speed (usually less) with one connection, so I now have 2 good reasons to have 2 internet connections. Dispatch can also be used for Bit torrents and that is were it really shines.

[attachment=258028:Dispatch snap.jpg]

Edited by tropo

Beware if your in the BTV designated areas where Sophon Broadband share their cable and boxes in the street.  Especially in East Pattaya, my connection has been down for weeks and Sophon finally came clean about BTV locking them out of their patch box in the street.  Supposedly due to an upgrade as Sophons equipment is old and incompatible.  

So Sophon broadband have effectively been kicked out and BTV are now offering the same internet service with free cable TV.  

I am now going through the hassle of trying to get a refund on what's left of my 1 year in advance payment for Sophon broadband.

Of course the cost will increase using BTV as they are now a monopoly for cable internet in those areas where they have upgraded.  I also believe both companies are owned by the same people as the staff mentioned they are effectively the same company. However Sophon have neither the money or desire to spend the money to upgrade the equipment to retain their customers.

You can try Sophon monthly, which is what I did. It's a bit more per month this way, but it's a good idea to try them out first. You can't do this with most other services as you are required to sign a contract for a year. I suppose that's why threads such as these are so valuable as we can ask around before we sign on the dotted line for a potentially bad service.

Thanks for posting. Timely info since I noticed a CAT truck and found out I can get cat fiber at my development in Na Jomtien. Am one the fence due to the 3,500TB installation fee and the 1,900TB monthly fee. Unfortunately I have not priced it at the CAT office in Satahip to determine what package 1,900 gets you

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for posting. Timely info since I noticed a CAT truck and found out I can get cat fiber at my development in Na Jomtien. Am one the fence due to the 3,500TB installation fee and the 1,900TB monthly fee. Unfortunately I have not priced it at the CAT office in Satahip to determine what package 1,900 gets you

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It was only by chance I found out about the .p (premium) and .sc (standard connection) services. (hinet.p or hinet.sc) There was no mention of it at the CAT office or on their brochures. I consider this deceptive marketing. I always thought that they only had one service and all were premium considering their prices. I'd been sharing a CAT connection for 5 years at another place I was living and knew it was reliable with good customer service.

This is how I found out.... the day after they first installed the service I was experiencing some problems, so they sent out their technician who told me they've upgraded me to .p (premium). That was the first I'd heard about the distinction. I was happy they had upgraded it, but annoyed that they hadn't mentioned there were 2 levels of service when I signed up. The @hinet.p or @hinet.sc are the last characters of your user ID when setting up the modem.

If you tell them you must have .p, I'll bet they will be scratching their heads wondering how you know about the distinction. Perhaps it's a little secret. They automatically give you .sc unless you complain, then they upgrade you.

Edited by tropo

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can try Sophon monthly, which is what I did. It's a bit more per month this way, but it's a good idea to try them out first. You can't do this with most other services as you are required to sign a contract for a year. I suppose that's why threads such as these are so valuable as we can ask around before we sign on the dotted line for a potentially bad service.

100% Sohphon Broadband cannot service many areas in east Pattaya, it seems they were tapping into BTV cables and now BTV is slowly upgrading their patch boxes and blocking Sophon Broadband all over the place.  The Sophon TV is still OK.  I had BTV internet installed and its brilliant, very fast and the service seems good so far also.