Yes, Still Very Very Tit

chanchao

Last year when in my home country I got an international driver's license, with the intention of getting it converted into a Thai one. Typical me I wait 362 days with that before finally getting around to it, 3 days before it expires. I also had a 6 year old Thai driver's license that expired 5 years ago. :D

So I go over to the transport department, but the somewhat senior, somewhat bored looking guy at the counter doesn't like my international license. Even though it's merely intended as a translation of the actual one, the 'issued date' and 'expire date' are not printed in English. (Which I agree is completely stupid for an international document, but hey, there's 2 dates on the cover '14 Apr 2005' and '14 Apr 2006', you don't have to be a language Einstein to figure out what's the issue date and expire date. Otherwise the format is totally the same as the Thai International License (which he showed me) which indeed has the date in English on it. However Thailand IS mentioned in it as being among the countries recognizing this international document, so ...... etc. So we discuss things at length, I plead some, beg some, hint that I won't mind if an extra charge applies to get this done asap (wink wink) but overall I get absolutely nowhere. Sigh. My options include getting an official legalized translation from my embassy (yeah, right, I'll fly to Bangers for that and pay serious euros for that) or taking the test again, which isn't as straightforward as it used to be.. :D

So I think about my options a little and while doing that the clock hits 12 o'clock and half the people behind the counters go to lunch. Aha. So I hurry home, tell the Mrs to put on a business suit and I drive her over there to apply with the exact same documents, but this time with a different staff member who's there during lunch hour. I kind of lounge semi out of sight, but close enough to sign the occasional copy page and so on. No problems whatsoever, and 30 minutes later I have a FIVE YEAR driver's license, I guess the one that expired 5 years ago was good for something.

You know what, I wouldn't have it any other way. I love this country. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

What happened to paying 500 baht to avoid taking the written test?

I bet it felt a whole lot better beating the system then paying for it. :D

Advantages/Disadvantages to both, but both 'beat the system', I'd suggest. :o

But maybe paying 500 baht to avoid the test isn't on anymore?

Edited by Ajarn

> But maybe paying 500 baht to avoid the test isn't on anymore?

Well, I woulnd't say it's completely not possible anymore, but these days they DO make you go through a manditory education session, and IF you know someone who knows someone then for 500-1000 baht you can get some 'assitance' with the written test (which is difficult by any standard). Anyway, it's not as straightforward as it used to be. Also they had new tests for identifying colors, and how fast you can react. (New machines with a gas and break pedal, where you have to hit the break as fast as possible after a light comes on). Then there's a peripheral vistion color test which I thought was hard. You put your face into this box and then to the left and to the right they turn on colored lights (red, yellow, green) .

As for the theory test, if you take it the normal way then you do need to study some, there's booklets (in Thai) to prepare for it. Don't think it'll be easy, it has questions that relate to motorcycles as well, and things like if you have to park A 5-10 centimeters from the curb, B 11-20 centimeters from the curb, C 21-30 centimeters... etc. Plus how many meters in front or behind a zebra crossing you can park, etc, all things that you can't just 'wing' using common sense.

Cheers,

Chanchao

> But maybe paying 500 baht to avoid the test isn't on anymore?

Well, I woulnd't say it's completely not possible anymore, but these days they DO make you go through a manditory education session, and IF you know someone who knows someone then for 500-1000 baht you can get some 'assitance' with the written test (which is difficult by any standard). Anyway, it's not as straightforward as it used to be. Also they had new tests for identifying colors, and how fast you can react. (New machines with a gas and break pedal, where you have to hit the break as fast as possible after a light comes on). Then there's a peripheral vistion color test which I thought was hard. You put your face into this box and then to the left and to the right they turn on colored lights (red, yellow, green) .

As for the theory test, if you take it the normal way then you do need to study some, there's booklets (in Thai) to prepare for it. Don't think it'll be easy, it has questions that relate to motorcycles as well, and things like if you have to park A 5-10 centimeters from the curb, B 11-20 centimeters from the curb, C 21-30 centimeters... etc. Plus how many meters in front or behind a zebra crossing you can park, etc, all things that you can't just 'wing' using common sense.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I found the written test very,very easy. All they do is get you to watch a 30 min "Road code" movie and then you sit the test.Believe me, I'm no bloody Einstien and I passed easy.It's all multi choice.

I wanted to go the "under the table" way, but the wife wouldn't let me. :o