Honda cbr650 2014

You might find this comparison interesting. I'm about due for a new rear (so far I'm liking the Pilot Power 3) so I'm researching sizes- maybe I'll go to a 55 profile from a 50- and I found this comparison chart. The +19mm height difference of going to a 55 profile would be about the equivalent of going up a tooth in the rear. I can fit a 200, but I'll likely stick with the stability of the 190/50.

image.jpg

Sounds good. Which bike would you be putting that tire on? And what advantages are you anticipating getting from that tire size change?
A Kawasaki ZX-14R. Going from a 50 to a 55 would give me a tire with a narrower profile, which would take less effort to lean the bike into a turn- considering how long I've been riding on a 50, I would imagine it would take some getting used to, as there would be a (perceived) lack of stability until I got a feel for it. The larger diameter of the 55, however, would have a slight change on my gearing, making it a bit taller, which would have a marginal (negative) effect on acceleration, though it wouldn't be very noticeable.

Going from a 190 to a 200 would look cool from a 'fat tire' perspective, but it would somewhat increase the effort it would take to lean the bike into a turn.

I'm still trying to find out if there would be a detrimental effect as far as traction control is concerned if I change tire sizes- probably not, but I'll likely stick with the OEM size.

Another factor worthy of consideration is weigh- something like a Pirelli Supercorsa would really be wasted on my bike from a performance perspective and I'd burn through it in 3K kilometers (and it doesn't come in a 50 profile- only 55), but it weighs over 1lb less than the other tires I'm considering- that's a not-insubstantial drop in rotating mass.

That is a huge looking bike in the photos I saw online. I don't think I've ever seen one before. Is it like a Kawasaki version of a Hyabusa type bike? Nice. Im sure it's a beast in terms of power.

It's a bit hard for me to follow all the subtle differences in tire size just by the numbers. If I saw all of these tires side by side or photos comparing the sizes it would probably all make better sense to me. Cheers.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a bit hard for me to follow all the subtle differences in tire size just by the numbers. If I saw all of these tires side by side or photos comparing the sizes it would probably all make better sense to me. Cheers.

If this helps : 190/50-ZR17

190 - tire width in mm

50 - aspect ratio. Percentage of tire sidewall height to tire width, in this case 50%

Z - speed rating

R - radial

17 - rim diameter

What daveboo said is also relevant. Check websites for tire profiles

^^

It's in the same class as the Hayabusa, but the Busa is a bit 'long in the tooth' these days and is down on power, and doesn't offer a decent electronics package- the 14R is the better bike at the moment as far as performance goes.

As far as tires go, they can vary by manufacturer even in the same sizes (meaning a Michelin 190/55 ZR17 might look a bit different than a Pirelli in the same size, especially if each had a differnt focus, i.e. one pure sport and the other sport-touring)- you'd need to look at the same model tire in different sizes to really get an idea of the differences.

I am curious what everyone does for their rear suspension preload setting? The factory setting is on number 2, but it can go up to as high as number 7 to increase the hardness on the preload. A friend said based on my weight, which ranges between 84-86 kilos, that my spring preload setting should be around 5. Does that sound about right? I'm thinking of tightening it up on my bike.

I am curious what everyone does for their rear suspension preload setting? The factory setting is on number 2, but it can go up to as high as number 7 to increase the hardness on the preload. A friend said based on my weight, which ranges between 84-86 kilos, that my spring preload setting should be around 5. Does that sound about right? I'm thinking of tightening it up on my bike.

I just went through this suspension tuning saga a few months ago, learnt a bit too.

Just for preload, you need to adjust the sag on your bike. It should be 30-35mm. Measure what it is on an unloaded bike, then have someone hold it straight for you, get on and into your normal riding position, and have yet someone else to measure the sag again. Adjust as needed.

I just went through this suspension tuning saga a few months ago, learnt a bit too.

Just for preload, you need to adjust the sag on your bike. It should be 30-35mm. Measure what it is on an unloaded bike, then have someone hold it straight for you, get on and into your normal riding position, and have yet someone else to measure the sag again. Adjust as needed.

Don't forget you need to do it twice. Once solo (and marking down the settings) and once fully loaded like you're going touring.

I adjusted the preload 3 notches clockwise. I assume clockwise, when standing above the bike, was the correct direction to tighten. Since the factory preset was 2, then I don't think I would have been able to turn it 3 clicks clockwise if I was turning in the wrong direction. So it should now be at position 5 out of 7. I will ride it for a while and see how it feels. I sat on the bike and it feels like the sag has been reduced, but not sure. Maybe it will feel a bit different when riding.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well as you know I just bought a Cbr 650f So ive got some questions ( im not dead hyet by the way)

1. Big wing, are they the only company who can service it? Im In Pranburi and they are miles from me OR could my local Honda dealer do it? Theres a quite a big one in Pranburi or maybe Hua Hin?

To be honest I can easily do this myself BUT I want to keep the warranty which I think is just 1 year

2. So what are the oil change times here, the manual says first 1000km then 12000km or yearly I assume if mileage not reached, should I just stick to that or is it less for Thailand like cars?

First oil change is at 1,000KM. Then they say the next one is at 6,000KM. I will probably do my next one at 4,000KM and every 3,000KM there after.

I wouldn't try one of the other local Honda dealers. The probably don't stock the right synthetic oil, right sized filter, etc. And again, as you said, you risk warranty voiding. I would not take chances in the beginning, especially until you are sure you don't have a lemon. Best in my opinion to try and preserve the warranty.

• 10 months later...

Archived