BANGKOK 21 June 2019 06:57
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Nok Air's plane skids off runway in Trang Province

Tywais you and I would make an excellent combination on the flight deck of any aircraft I feel laugh.png

• Like 1

"skid off" seems a difficult maneuver to achieve on a flat runway/taxiway (but if it can be done a Thai pilot will find a way) coffee1.gif

Happens anywhere in the world. It's just fodder for the Thai knockers.

• Like 1

These guys need some new pilots... i have flown nok air a few times and each landing is always a bit rough, dunno if its the planes, but we landed way too fast once at chaing mai and it wasn't pretty :/

Nok air does not have a 747 .... they are flying 737's ...... sigh

read again waerth head line 737 put your reading glasses on mate

"skid off" seems a difficult maneuver to achieve on a flat runway/taxiway (but if it can be done a Thai pilot will find a way) coffee1.gif

He was trying to turn unto another runway at speed to increase his abort distance.

Statistically a Rejected Take Off is one of the most dangerous procedures there is, well for a screw up.

It is normal to "give it a go", by the time you give the nod, leave the gate, taxi etc, what matters is the visibility and conditions when you are lined up on the runway, that is when the decision re weather is made. Unless you are at a major airport with a huge runway, it is surprising early in the roll when the decision to continue known as V1, even in the case of an engine karking it, yep, a 737 is grossly over powered, you continue the take of roll, get faster and fly away, then land at the most sutible.

I don't know what happened of course, non of us does.

Concernly in typical Thai style, the local authority on the ground does togh and declared it before any investigation that will take many months and include Boeing.

This <snip> quote "Trang Airport Director, Tavorn Sang-Ampai, revealed that the accident was caused by wet runway as rains repeatedly hammered down the area"

But at least he sucked up to the Cop on board, Deputy Commander General Chatchawan Suksomjit.

Edited by SeaVisionBurma

Nok air does not have a 747 .... they are flying 737's ...... sigh

read again waerth head line 737 put your reading glasses on mate

The info has been corrected from 747 to 737 if you read a previous moderator's post. The member posted before the edit of title. So back on topic.

• Like 2

right so nok air arranged air conditioned buses for the passengers 3 hour +transport to bkk but bet they refuse to give a refund to the stranded passengers coffee1.gif

• Like 1

It is the pilot in commands decision at the end of the day, go/no go.

When I read the headline I thought it was a landing or take off accident.

It seems as though it was already rolling when the pilot abandoned the take off so he must have been going at a fair speed and tried to turn onto another runway to avoid running off the one he was on and underestimated his speed and the runway conditions.

thats the way i read it also those big things are not really made for their easy handling in the curves i guess

These guys need some new pilots... i have flown nok air a few times and each landing is always a bit rough, dunno if its the planes, but we landed way too fast once at chaing mai and it wasn't pretty :/

whistling.gifcoffee1.gif

"skid off" seems a difficult maneuver to achieve on a flat runway/taxiway (but if it can be done a Thai pilot will find a way) coffee1.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

He was trying to turn unto another runway at speed to increase his abort distance.

What other runway? There isn't another runway rolleyes.gif

Tywais you and I would make an excellent combination on the flight deck of any aircraft I feel xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic.SDkxrRteka.png alt=laugh.png width=20 height=20>

ehhhemm !

What other runway? There isn't another runway rolleyes.gif

Only based my comment on the OP - "In order to gain more space for abandoning sequence, the pilots turned the plane to the eastern runway located near Trang-Palean road"

right so nok air arranged air conditioned buses for the passengers 3 hour +transport to bkk but bet they refuse to give a refund to the stranded passengers coffee1.gif

One of the articles above states that some passengers decided not to travel and obtained refunds.

And the rest weren't put on buses for a 3 hour+ transport to Bangkok - they were sent to nearby airports and arrangements were made for them to take onward flights from there.

You can't get to Bangkok from Trang in 3 hours.