BANGKOK 19 June 2019 00:12
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Nok Air's plane skids off runway in Trang Province

More of an embarrassment than anything else.

And someone printed a 'lose face' situation. Not of a good omen...

What other runway? There isn't another runway rolleyes.gif

Only based my comment on the OP - "In order to gain more space for abandoning sequence, the pilots turned the plane to the eastern runway located near Trang-Palean road"

Don't know what that means now. Looking at Google Maps the runway is 08/26 so the eastern runway would be 08. Unless they built another runway since that Google map update.

Trang.JPG

Happens anywhere in the world. It's just fodder for the Thai knockers.

AliasJohn.

This is a Thai discussion forum so what would you expect as it made headlines and of course it happens elsewhere but not every post is knocking Thais or are you just another apologist, any jokes are in a light hearted vein so relax.

Only based my comment on the OP - "In order to gain more space for abandoning sequence, the pilots turned the plane to the eastern runway located near Trang-Palean road"

Don't know what that means now. Looking at Google Maps the runway is 08/26 so the eastern runway would be 08. Unless they built another runway since that Google map update.

Trang.JPG

Maybe from western side of the runway to the eastern side of the runway... It is not easy to make 180 at the end of the runway with 0 visibility.

I would have thought an emergency evacuation would have been csrried out. I see no slides deployed. Maybe i could be wrong. As they are very expensive Did they decide not to use them?sad.png Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I guess it was an intelligent decision by the aircrew to keep the passengers dry.

You get the pilots you pay for.

I disagree, some are on OK pay, THAI anyway. Nok I do not know, but Thai Air Asia is peanuts.

I have never seen a country so guarded against any experience from foreign crew. Maybe N Korea ?

I would have thought an emergency evacuation would have been csrried out. I see no slides deployed. Maybe i could be wrong. As they are very expensive Did they decide not to use them?sad.png Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I guess it was an intelligent decision by the aircrew to keep the passengers dry.

Couple of real issues regarding the deployment of the slides when not necessary. One, there is an increased chance someone could get injured in the evacuation process as opposed to the conventional stair exit. 2nd, an increase in the stress of the passengers.

Trang.JPG

It means garbage. As you can clearly see there is one runway, there is not even a parallel taxi way. You would never try to turn off a runway to 'increase your abort distance' - ever. The mark where the aircraft is, is the turn off for the terminal, if the pilot tried to turn off there after an abort he needs shooting. There is nowhere else to turn off. Techniques are very clear, he should have maintained straight down the middle of the runway breaking as required. he may have aquaplaned and slid to the side as he was breaking but I would ignore any layman making statements that say ' he tried to turn off the runway during an abort', it is nonesense. At Trang and as at any other airport like this the aircraft makes its way to the end of the runway and turns through 180 degrees and back tracks under normal circumstances.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 2

I would ignore any layman making statements that say ' he tried to turn off the runway during an abort', it is nonesense. .

Being a pilot myself I'm not exactly a layman but have been scratching my head as to why a pilot would do what was posted in the article ("The plane then skidded off the runway during its turning") , which is all I have to base my previous response on. The parking pad turnoffs are the only place he could attempt to 'turn' and as mentioned would be improper procedure and unlikely was what happened.

Why did the pilots determine weather before takeoff run?

Is risking ground looping by changing runway standard operating procedure for abandoned takeoff?

V1 V2 are there for a reason. Learn how to fly the aircraft please.

You get the pilots you pay for.

I disagree, some are on OK pay, THAI anyway. Nok I do not know, but Thai Air Asia is peanuts.

I have never seen a country so guarded against any experience from foreign crew. Maybe N Korea ? .

So by what you just said you don't disagree with me

It certainly wouldn't be the first time that was gets reported in the "news" stories here ends up bearing very little resemblance to the truth of the matter.

It seems the authorities here often just make things up as they go along. You'd think they were moonlighting as novelists...bad novelists...but novelists nonetheless.

Why did the pilots determine weather before takeoff run?

Is risking ground looping by changing runway standard operating procedure for abandoned takeoff?

V1 V2 are there for a reason. Learn how to fly the aircraft please.

These speeds are defined in FAR 25 for transport category aircraft.

V1 is the takeoff decision speed - if an engine failure occurs below this speed you abort or reject the takeoff. If it occurs above this speed you continue the takeoff.

Vr is the rotation speed - where the nose gear is raised off the runway surface, but must allow the aircraft to accelerate to V2 before the aircraft reaches 35ft above the takeoff surface.

V2 is the takeoff safety speed - this minimum speed must be reached before the aircraft reaches 35ft above the takeoff surface with one engine inoperative. It guarantees a specific climb gradient up to 1500ft for obstacle clearance. From the time the landing gear is retracted until 400ft (second takeoff segment), it guarantees a 2.4%, 2.7%, and 3.0% climb gradient for 2-, 3-, and 4-engine airplanes. Above 400ft (final takeoff segment) to 1500ft the climb gradients are 1.2%, 1.5%, and 1.7% for 2-, 3-, and 4-engine airplanes.

Vfto - the minimum speed for the enroute climb above 1500ft until the aircraft reaches a cruise altitude.

Pinched that off the web...but when I was taught for my ppl many years ago it was exactly what I was told. at v1 you should allways have enough room to stop in a straight line which was also emphasised. If there would not be room to stop something has gone wrong with the distance calculations and the takeoff should not even be started.

Of course they may have cut more corners now as this was a while ago.

Where and when did you learn to fly the aircraft?

It certainly wouldn't be the first time that was gets reported in the "news" stories here ends up bearing very little resemblance to the truth of the matter.

Does appear NNT got some 'facts' wrong in this, it doesn't make sense after looking further now. Also, a rejected takeoff can be from a variety of things besides weather such as a critical alarm going off. The weather may or may not been the deciding factor though it probably played a large part in the skidding off the runway as normal procedure requires applying full braking in a rejected takeoff. Here's an old training film on rejected (aborted) takeoffs. Most info in it is still valid such as the V1 requirements.