What's The Best Visa Run Route?

Ahnsahn

Probably Burma border, same as for Surat, Phuket etc. Not sure if you can get the minibus from there but if needs be you can go over to Krabi (or up to Surat) and get one from there.

Hi,

I will be in Nakhon SiThammarat for awhile. What is the best visa run route from there?

TIA

Minibus from Nakhon to Hadyai, minibus Hadyai down to Sadao - do your border run and return, simple. Ranong from NST is much longer. Takes me 3 hrs driving to Sadao from NST as opposed to touching 5 to go to Ranong.

Minibus from Nakhon to Hadyai, minibus Hadyai down to Sadao - do your border run and return, simple. Ranong from NST is much longer. Takes me 3 hrs driving to Sadao from NST as opposed to touching 5 to go to Ranong.

Thanx VTR1000, Looks like it's going to be a Sadao run.....BUT, isn't there unrest in that area that farangs should avoid? I take it that you drive there....how often? When was your last run? How did the visa stamp process go?

Thanx VTR1000, Looks like it's going to be a Sadao run.....BUT, isn't there unrest in that area that farangs should avoid? I take it that you drive there....how often? When was your last run? How did the visa stamp process go?

I drive down to Malaysia fairly often not for visa runs, just to go to Penang or Kuala Polis. Not once had a problem. To be honest though, I haven't been down for a few months but as far as I know there are no hassles. Last week a friend of mine went by bus through the 3 problem provinces to Sungai Galok (sp?) and he said everything was fine apart from a couple of police check points. Sadoa shouldn't be a problem at all. Perhaps someone living in Hatyai may be able to give you a clearer picture.

Shedend, I don't think you'll get a direct mini-bus, Surat - Hatyai - Sadoa will be the way to go.

:o

I drive down to Malaysia fairly often not for visa runs, just to go to Penang or Kuala Polis. Not once had a problem. To be honest though, I haven't been down for a few months but as far as I know there are no hassles. Last week a friend of mine went by bus through the 3 problem provinces to Sungai Galok (sp?) and he said everything was fine apart from a couple of police check points. Sadoa shouldn't be a problem at all. Perhaps someone living in Hatyai may be able to give you a clearer picture.

Shedend, I don't think you'll get a direct mini-bus, Surat - Hatyai - Sadoa will be the way to go.

:o

Thanks. Do you mean Surat - Sadoa.

Cheers

From Nakhon Si Thammarat, take the mini van to Had Yai, transfer to another mini van...I can remember the travel agency, by Robinson's in Had Yai.. You'll go through Sadao.. But I like to head down to Georgetown .. Penang.. Drink the Sweet Coffee and relax a bit...

It is a long ride.. but going through customs is not bad.. Quick.. However, if you are behind a BUS load.. 50 Plus. then you have to wait like everyone else..

Bus drivers.. Some are absolutely.. COOL.. Great Tunes along the way, and insights on what to do where to eat and others..

Often the passengers are tired like you... remain quiet..

The other option.. Train.. from NST.. go to Thung Song, and catch a sleeper train.. Get off at the terminal, take the ferry across.. it is actually nice..

Any way, with Visa runs.. it is something to do..that's all.. BE SAFE.

From Nakhon Si Thammarat, take the mini van to Had Yai, transfer to another mini van...I can remember the travel agency, by Robinson's in Had Yai.. You'll go through Sadao.. But I like to head down to Georgetown .. Penang.. Drink the Sweet Coffee and relax a bit...

It is a long ride.. but going through customs is not bad.. Quick.. However, if you are behind a BUS load.. 50 Plus. then you have to wait like everyone else..

Bus drivers.. Some are absolutely.. COOL.. Great Tunes along the way, and insights on what to do where to eat and others..

The other option.. Train.. from NST.. go to Thung Song, and catch a sleeper train.. Get off at the terminal, take the ferry across.. it is actually nice..

Cool! Thanks for the details of your 'Visa run'. Could you also tell me how long is the train option from NST to the terminal (at?) and then how long is the ferry ride?

Edited by Ahnsahn

Cool! Thanks for the details of your 'Visa run'. Could you also tell me how long is the train option from NST to the terminal (at?) and then how long is the ferry ride?

it all depends on how much time you have. the sadao border is really lovely with gibbons calling in the background. the area around here is also very beautiful.

the ranong run is ok too. i go through andaman club. its much nicer than the victoria point run.