Only one Krabi musician faces the music for American's murder

webfact

Only one Krabi musician faces the music for American's murder
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_All_three_men_have_been_charg
All three men have been charged with murder and assault, and all three are now out on bail. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Only one of the three musicians charged with killing American tourist Bobby Ray Carter Jr in Krabi last week appeared in court for arraignment on Monday.

The other two postponed their trial date.

All three men, charged with the July 31 murder of 51-year-old Bobby Carter Jr and the assault of his son Adam, 27, outside the Little Longhorn Saloon bar in Ao Nang (story here), are now free on bail.

Ratikorn Romin, 27, from Phang Nga, appeared in court on Monday. He confessed that the men attacked the Americans, but said they did not intend to kill anyone.

Nopanan Yoddecha, 26, from Krabi, did not appear in court.

Sathid Somsa, 40, from Bangkok, who was also charged with possession of an illegal firearm after he was found at the murder scene with a homemade gun, also did not appear before the judge.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Only-one-Krabi-musician-faces-the-music-for-American-s-murder-21890.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-08-07

Well it seems the convicted can decide when they can be trial . How serious is that ? the parody of justice here when a Thai kill a farang amazes me ... murderers but free on bail .... so that will give them time to fled .Well done !!!! coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Thainess Promotion: Only in Thailand can a Thai kill a non-Thai with a weapon meant for killing and have a lesser charge for "not meaning to kill them or to scare them." Whether it's shooting someone, samurai swords, knives, or sharpened rebar, it will most likely be dismissed as a "misunderstanding" and all guilty parties walk.

Yes - they will apologize to the victims bereaved family and friends. Explain it was all a misunderstanding that got of of hand and ended with a bad accident.

Even if they bargain and plead guilty to some lesser offence - "unintentional killing of a troublesome, drunk, aggressive farang" the punishment will no doubt be a slap on the wrist. The family and US can protest all they want - but no one will listen or care.

• Like 1

Farangs here needs to know about Thai "culture" before even talk with Thai people.....men or women. Thai people do not know how to argue about anything....and NEVER will loose an argument...They will "win" in one way or another....and most of the times not peacefully. But..remember...that is not exclusive to Thailand's people........ In Muslim's countries you are not just a farang...you are also an "infidel"....

Farangs here needs to know about Thai "culture" before even talk with Thai people.....men or women. Thai people do not know how to argue about anything....and NEVER will loose an argument...They will "win" in one way or another....and most of the times not peacefully. But..remember...that is not exclusive to Thailand's people........ In Muslim's countries you are not just a farang...you are also an "infidel"....

Really? Have you been to a muslim country?

I live in one and am treated rather nicely thank you.

But why on earth are you trying to make this into a muslim bashing thread when it has nothing to do with muslims?

Well it seems the convicted can decide when they can be trial . How serious is that ? the parody of justice here when a Thai kill a farang amazes me ... murderers but free on bail .... so that will give them time to fled .Well done !!!! coffee1.gif

They have been convicted in your mind only.Its been ajourned,maybe until they can get a lawyer.

Really? Have you been to a muslim country?

I live in one and am treated rather nicely thank you.

But why on earth are you trying to make this into a muslim bashing thread when it has nothing to do with muslims?

Glad to hear that you are happy to live in a Muslim country, but curious as to why you post on a Thai Forum?

I too have worked in Muslim countries but I dont see Anugon´s post as bashing, simply informative and a fact.

His message seems to be - understand the culture of the area you are in.

As an example, try walking into "the wrong bar in Chicago".

Not to mention attempting to walk in a Muslim No-Go area of London and many other big European cities.!

Edited by laislica

try walking into "the wrong bar in Chicago".

Can you post an example of a wrong bar in Chicago? I've been to several bars in Chicago, but never seen a wrong one.

I worked there for several years and they are there. Just to put it into some perspective.

Bar Fight Tracker - Chicago

Police logged about 980 assaults and batteries in 2007 that occurred in a "bar or tavern," a designation that also includes nightclubs. Fast forward to 2011—the last full year data is available—and the number of reports was 745. In fact, in the past five and a half years, with few exceptions, both the number of reports and arrests for assault and battery have fallen.

But laislica is trying to make it sound like you will be attacked just for walking in a certain bar.

It does happen, but I wanted to make the point that if a person, as a traveller in a new area, never mind a different country, and does not understand the culture of his near surroundings, he can unwittingly step into trouble - big time.

I was out in the streets of New York, one cold and frosty February night. A local policeman asked me if I was crazy and was I trying to get myself killed? Go directly back to your hotel he advised.

After this advice, I opened my eyes and saw homeless men in shop doorways that I had not really noticed before.

First visit, first night - how would I know.

Maybe I should have had a chat to the reception people at the hotel?

I think it´s a problem of wearing a "holiday head".......

The same way that folk get conned into buying time share in countries like Spain.

Edited by laislica
  • Like 1