Where to buy casting epoxy (resin)

Eggmeng

In Pattaya it is readily available at shops which usually have a sign saying RESIN or fibreglass. Thai word is ee-pok-see so said the same as English.

You can try these guys, but they normally sell at least 4 litres at a time, not sure how easy it would be to get a smaller amount.

http://www.pongpana.com/product.html

The marine grade westsystem type epoxy is available from marine stores like this one

http://www.eastmarineasia.com/

but again, you will need to talk to them on whether they can handle a small quantity.

Epoxy is NASTY stuff especially the hardener component. Wear latex gloves, mix in precise ratios, stir stir stir and make sure you keep things tidy as you work. During the cure it heats up a lot, bear that in mind.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, the material we're looking for is the kind used in jewelry making, by hobbiests. I think it's made from polyester.

I paid a visit to Chinatown yesterday, where I often find what I'm looking for, but most shops were closed due to the holiday.

Here's a reference video. We're also looking for the kinds of decorative molds you'll see them using.

I have a friend in the jewelry manufacturing business here in Bangkok so I'm checking with her now.

polyester is a very different type of resin to epoxy. You said you wanted epoxy. You need to be sure on which one you want.

3 main types are

polyester

vinylester

epoxy

Polyester is the same stuff used in car parts, any car repair place can probably give you some. Horrid, horrid stuff (even more toxic than epoxy). For craft purposes I doubt there is much difference between the two.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've bought both epoxy resin and RTV silicone for molds from a place called All Art Center (http://www.allartcenter.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=478918) Although the resin I bought was for doing fiberglass parts, not for casting.

One caveat to what steveromagnino said about wearing latex gloves, the chemicals in the resin will pass through latex gloves, either you should use vynil gloves (I haven't found in Thailand) or do as I do, I wear polyethylene gloves (can be found in any 711) under latex gloves; the idea being that the latex gloves provide the snug fit while the plastic gloves keep the chemicals out.

Edited by AleG

• 2 months later...

All Art Center near The Mall at Ngam Wong Wan.

Go to the google translate site and type Allartcenter dot com to see all the products and kits available.

It's the only place I've found in bkk. They have all kinds if casting resins. Various epoxy resins, polyester resins, talcum, plasters, silicone for molds, and many different grades of fiberglass.

The dude working there can speak English too! Lifesavers.

• 6 years later...
On 8/14/2013 at 3:23 PM, steveromagnino said:

polyester is a very different type of resin to epoxy. You said you wanted epoxy. You need to be sure on which one you want.

3 main types are

polyester

vinylester

epoxy

Polyester is the same stuff used in car parts, any car repair place can probably give you some. Horrid, horrid stuff (even more toxic than epoxy). For craft purposes I doubt there is much difference between the two.

Thanks all for you input here.. seems there are various typs of epoxy resin..  I am interested in the foor/wall/desktop recovering applications.. see youtube epoxy resin vids AMAZING... I can see various thai groups into it in a way.. so what I am looking for is the largest, best Thai available products and support.....