Finger-waving tourist receives Phuket lesson

Lite Beer

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Showing a middle finger in Germany to a motorist or cop is 2000 Euros fine.

I don't show middle fingers when walking or driving by I keep to myself and only Mrs will hear it. In fact she hears it all the time because driving in Isaan at time can be frustrating.

I would never give a middle finger to anyone in Thailand because I don't know who is on the other side and live is cheap in Thailand.

If he nearly ran him over and they managed to see him giving the middle finger from behind then they were not watching the road

These men need a taste of what goes around comes around

Maybe when they nearly get run over see how they re act

I dare say this is how it happened, they were crossing the road, the motorbike sped past to close,they then only looked back when the guy screamed and stuck his finger up, with out a scream of some sort,why would they look back??? just saying, i could be wrong.

Nobody seems to have asked the question as to what the police are doing about the incident. In civilised societies physical violence is not permitted even if you have been provoked by somebody giving you the finger. You have to accept the finger and return the compliment with two fingers. What is this society all about?

Farangs bring money to Thailand so the Thais hate us for having the money. It is true that the tourist industry has brought growth and wealth to the Thais but those who have not benefitted feel resentment.

The saddest thing about all this is that we cannot rely on the Thai police to do their job properly and so we farangs tend to feel insecure and unsafe here. Perhaps we should all leave and leave Thailand to the Thais.

Looks like the 2 Asian men caused the entire incident ...

"The barman told officers that the German and his wife were crossing the road when they were almost run over by a motorbike with two Asian men on board, being driven at high speed."

Case rests. Asian men in Thailand, 2 farangs crossing their street. Who didn't belong there and who's trespassing?coffee1.gif No brainer if ever there was one.

I hate this, why do everyone think the same !! Come on really, someone nearly runs you over and as the martial arts instructor says bow!!!!! Or the other reply from rai something or other if he not come Thailand it wouldn't happen? I say be yourself as Bruce lee says to master ones self is perfection, so lets not back down because of the o so scary thai temper, have a go back there only human and Thais know most wont say a thing because of the thai thing!!!! Be yourself if they hit you, hit them harder!!!!! Have some balls people

• Like 1

Why is the violence here always so over the top? I don't think in our own countries if someone did that they would be beaten or killed.

All over the world, this sort of shit can and does happen..often called road rage..same thing..same result..you flip the bird,at others no matter for how trivial or how major an event you better be well prepared to back up your actions....coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I don't show middle fingers when walking or driving by I keep to myself and only Mrs will hear it. In fact she hears it all the time because driving in Isaan at time can be frustrating.

I would never give a middle finger to anyone in Thailand because I don't know who is on the other side and live is cheap in Thailand.

Yes, very cheap. It's as if they think nothing of killing somebody just for making them angry. The culture is incredibly violent. Murder rate is 5-10x that of farang countries. Best not to flick anybody off in Thailand.

Another fine example of "Thainess" . . . keep it up Thailand.

Thailand is on a very steep, slippery slide and the world is taking note.

These <deleted> are going to have Phuket (and the rest of the country) to themselves before too long smile.png

• Like 1

I hate this, why do everyone think the same !! Come on really, someone nearly runs you over and as the martial arts instructor says bow!!!!! Or the other reply from rai something or other if he not come Thailand it wouldn't happen? I say be yourself as Bruce lee says to master ones self is perfection, so lets not back down because of the o so scary thai temper, have a go back there only human and Thais know most wont say a thing because of the thai thing!!!! Be yourself if they hit you, hit them harder!!!!! Have some balls people

Ask yourself who went to hospital,then think again.

I once accidentally farted in someone's face for at least 10 seconds .... but it was in Portugal and he was over 60 years old.

In Thailand, though, you should never show the middle finger or the sole of your foot. Don't insult Asians or make them lose face in any way.

Stay cool, avoid confrontations over petty issues.

• Like 1

Why is the violence here always so over the top? I don't think in our own countries if someone did that they would be beaten or killed.

couple of links here. 1st one answers your question and the second is a recent example.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/640721-saving-face-thailands-biggest-problem/

Not sure if you've seen this vid..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/657982-never-mess-with-thai-guys/

Scared Thai's overcompensating

Edited by Paangjang

If your Bruce Lee moves are as fluid and smooth as your writing, I believe you will find a job as bouncer at one of the local pre-schools. Just have to believe in your ball..ahemm, yourself and hit a little harder...

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1

Yes, very cheap. It's as if they think nothing of killing somebody just for making them angry. The culture is incredibly violent. Murder rate is 5-10x that of farang countries. Best not to flick anybody off in Thailand.

Broad generalisations.

The murder rates in the USA and Thailand are identical. But The Thailand and USA rates are considerably (approximately 4-5 times) greater than say NZ, France, England or Australia.

Looks like the USA and Thailand are in the same boat - statistically speaking. So life is arguably worth the same in the USA as Thailand - cheap?

References: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

• Like 1

Good for them.......I have a feeling this guy will now think twice before flipping someone the bird. Hard lesson but one I think he deserved. And other then the 15 or so Thai haters on TV forum here nobody outside of Thailand really gives two hoots.

• Like 1

The article seems to insinuate that the thing that was wrong here was the fingerwaving in retaliation for the almost being killed or injured by dangerous driving. The dangerous driving was, by implication, overlooked.

What are foreigners supposed to do in such circumstances? Wai?

No, you are supposed to use some commonsense if you wish to not inflame the situation.

1. You cannot change the fact that it has happened.

2. Relax, you didn't die, and you aren't going to change the perpetrator; get on with your life.

3. If you choose to retaliate (and yes, saying 'f&*k you' with your fingers IS retaliation) then you must accept whatever comes your way thereafter.

USE YOUR BRAIN

TL

• Like 1

are you lost in your own head???? In Germany at least people stop for a pedestrian crossing cause its a hefty fine if you DON'T. and you are always wrong if you would hit a pedestrian especially on a crossing...

how on earth would anyone give me a 2000 euro fine (and btw the fine is around 150 euro to be exact) for giving a middle finger to someone who just broke the law himself and almost injured me in the process... THINK before you start typing here...

But yes, next time someone runs you over, feel free to give them a Wai and say thank you...