best way to make money ( little bit ) in isaan

kranuan

we live in isaan , we want to venture into something to make a bit of money, wife loves cooking , as do all thai woman, im just asking for a few suggestions what we could do to make money to tie us over. we are in remote villiage near kranuan. i am thinking of karaoke bar / mo ka ta barbeque resturaunt .....i just dont know so any idea,s most appreciated.

thankyou

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, some funny answers :)

how remote is your remote village? what is the population?

i kind a live not far from few villages, and while they arent remote that much, they seem to be lightyear from city, in term of restaurant, entertainment, etc.

as a pointer, no cable internet for example...

your idea, like karaoke, a real restaurant...for a remote village they might be far fetched as you would need demend with money to back that up...ie. a local not only want to sing, but willing to pay for the privilage.

however they all seem to fit in the context: spend a lot to make a little.

i think above all Dancelot's pool table might be the one makes the most sense.

also, if wife likes to cook, and you are in a central/main part of that village, she can sell few dishes in the house front, usually done in small plastic bags portionings.

you can find some better off parents and convince them that you teach the kid for English.

if you have a small garden or land near by, that might open up the chance to grow something, if not to sell, at least for yourself. save money buying is making money in a way.

and finally, istead of spending the money for something not in demand, maybe consider leaving it in the bank, it also makes a little there.

none the above will make a living really, but that is the Issan reality. this is why so many youngers want to go to the cities...

• Like 1

i was thinking of mo ga ta barbeque with a big screen for football and thai movies plus karaoke nights, wooden building style set up, rent the land , rent land near the lake for better scenery but then i need to rent land near hospital/schools on main thorough fare, yes snooker or pool table, nice plants and fencing around etc . would not imagine it would cost much to set up. our villiage has a tesco lotus plus a 7/11 plus a large school and hospital. we may have to move over back to thailand soon from uk. i just do not want to start anything in pattaya or bangkok, i like hau hinn but it is very quiet also with high rents.

i was also thinking of renting a shop in hau hinn maybe, going to pratunam markets buying stock i.e clothes, handbags, shoes for farang tourists then selling them at a profit , to me i seem to know what kind of fashion farang want wether they are elderly men or woman or young men or woman, i do not see so much shops in pattaya where i can buy nice sports shoes or cargo pants/shorts , thai,s sell them but they are not the type i would wear.

just asking here and doing some home work for time being, we have a little savings so we do not want to squander money .

well, maybe you should get your writing together a bit.

you say you live in a remote village...

then your 2nd post you say maybe you move back from UK to Thailand soon...ie. dont live there.

also, remote village as an idea: not the places with tesco and 7/11....the place you refer to probably is an amphur rank town, rather than a village...

remote places might have a school, and some mom and pop shops, and that is about it. i live in a remote place, and the amphur where the kid goes to school just had the tesco express open...some 4 village and 10km away from us, half that on dirt road. just telling, for comparison.

anyway, good luck to whatever you plan, either in Issan, or in Hua Hin.

then your 2nd post you say maybe you move back from UK to Thailand soon...ie. dont live there.

also, remote village as an idea: not the places with tesco and 7/11....the place you refer to probably is an amphur rank town, rather than a village...

remote places might have a school, and some mom and pop shops, and that is about it. i live in a remote place, and the amphur where the kid goes to school just had the tesco express open...some 4 village and 10km away from us, half that on dirt road. just telling, for comparison.

What previous experience/track record have you got in countries that speak your language/same culture. Sorry to be so blunt just some people open. Ars having just drunk in them previously!!!!

In a village be wary of bbq's,big screens and alcohol.

Unless you want young boys on lawkow causing you grief.

The only business to start in a village is one with no infrastructure costs.(building)

Maybe pizza and soft serve ice cream at the local market may work.

• Like 1

Best way to save money in issan is not to spend it on crackpop ideas to keep the wife and the familly happy.

Keep it in your pocket. Thai ladies especially non educated ones cannot think about running a business properly.

I think many people have learnt this the hard way and have only themselves to blame.
  • Like 2

What previous experience/track record have you got in countries that speak your language/same culture. Sorry to be so blunt just some people open. Ars having just drunk in them previously!!!!

maybe the early morning hours? but i dont understand your reply. :)

or maybe the language barrier?

not that is matters a lot.

the OP mentioned - what wasnt in the first post - that he isnt even in Thailand, thus take the formentioned biz. intent the least with a hint of doubt...maybe 2 hints...

if and when he is here, settled, and ready to think of some biz, maybe some can be suggested, but like his selling things is Hau Hinn ( or better Hua Hin) isnt really an Issan based idea, right?

I live in a small village, 20 Thai houses and mine. At the request of the local village chief we remodeled the local "bus stop" and my wife opened a restaurant there. ( The bus stop has been there for years but there have never been any buses and until recently the road was dirt. They recently put up a "welcome" sign on the dirt road that ends 2 kilometers further on with only four houses on it, mine the last - another story) Back to the restaurant - she sells everything less than cost and I literally subsidise the place losing money every month. But, she is happy and it keeps her out of my hair for an acceptable cost, I've never made any money from it or for that matter from the other 2 businesses that I have had in the past. Good luck!

And that's it for me in a nutshell, how to make a little money = be prepared to lose some but if you can afford it and it keeps them happy so be it, aaah

anything for the quiet life..Good luck..

Easiest thing to set up is a small shop selling all the usual eatables, consumables, toiletries etc. Snacks, beer, whiskey, smokes, tobacco and rolling papers, washing powder/liquid, panty liners, cockroach spray etc. Very good idea is selling phone credit. You get an immediate 3% discount when you buy and can charge at least 2bht for each topup. Alot of people in a poor village will only load 20bht on their phone at a time, you charge 22bht, instant 10%!

I'd advise against a snooker table unless you want the local yabaa heads hanging around although if there's not a drug problem locally they can attract a crowd who like to spend on beer and cigs. Expensive initial outlay though.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Easiest thing to set up is a small shop selling all the usual eatables, consumables, toiletries etc. Snacks, beer, whiskey, smokes, tobacco and rolling papers, washing powder/liquid, panty liners, cockroach spray etc. Very good idea is selling phone credit. You get an immediate 3% discount when you buy and can charge at least 2bht for each topup. Alot of people in a poor village will only load 20bht on their phone at a time, you charge 22bht, instant 10%!

I'd advise against a snooker table unless you want the local yabaa heads hanging around although if there's not a drug problem locally they can attract a crowd who like to spend on beer and cigs. Expensive initial outlay though.

If your neighbors think that you are making a "little" money, there will be two or three similar businesses opened near you selling exactly the same thing.  Since my wife opened her restaurant 3 years ago there have been 3 others opened near her, one next door and one across the street.  They have all closed, most likely because the families that owned them were not willing to subsidize the business to keep the prices competitive.

Agree with that entirely. If you are lucky you'll just about make a small profit running a small village shop.

If your neighbors think that you are making a "little" money, there will be two or three similar businesses opened near you selling exactly the same thing. Since my wife opened her restaurant 3 years ago there have been 3 others opened near her, one next door and one across the street. They have all closed, most likely because the families that owned them were not willing to subsidize the business to keep the prices competitive.

Agree with that entirely. If you are lucky you'll just about make a small profit running a small village shop.

We managed to do that for a couple of years. Please be wary about lending money to family/ villagers or giving out your stock, on credit.

It CAN be assumed that because there is a farang in the background nothing needs to be paid back.

Just my personal experience.

• Like 2

Grow pigs. Cant lose

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Totally disagree! Been there, done that and lost money. Unless you are going to raise them in your living room, the first thing that you have to do is invest in building the pig pens with adequate water supply at pressure and electric. Unless you are going to amortize that cost over a very long period you aren't going to make anything. When you buy the piglets, the price is always up and when you sell the pigs 3-4 months later the price of pork is down. The price of feed constantly goes up never down. When you sell the pigs and buy more piglets a few weeks later, guess what the price is up again. And it's a dirty 7 day a week job cleaning and feeding them twice a day.

All of the Thais in my village raised pigs at one time and now nobody does. When you mention raising pigs they just chuckle.

If your neighbors think that you are making a "little" money, there will be two or three similar businesses opened near you selling exactly the same thing. Since my wife opened her restaurant 3 years ago there have been 3 others opened near her, one next door and one across the street. They have all closed, most likely because the families that owned them were not willing to subsidize the business to keep the prices competitive.

We managed to do that for a couple of years. Please be wary about lending money to family/ villagers or giving out your stock, on credit.

It CAN be assumed that because there is a farang in the background nothing needs to be paid back.

Just my personal experience.

The weakness there is the lady running the shop.

If your wife is on your side then there will be no problem. I lend money, or as I should say my wife does, to people in the family and the village. My wife is the boss and she makes sure of things. Never had a default yet. If they try it on my wife puts her foot down.

• Like 1

Grow pigs. Cant lose

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Totally disagree! Been there, done that and lost money. Unless you are going to raise them in your living room, the first thing that you have to do is invest in building the pig pens with adequate water supply at pressure and electric. Unless you are going to amortize that cost over a very long period you aren't going to make anything. When you buy the piglets, the price is always up and when you sell the pigs 3-4 months later the price of pork is down. The price of feed constantly goes up never down. When you sell the pigs and buy more piglets a few weeks later, guess what the price is up again. And it's a dirty 7 day a week job cleaning and feeding them twice a day.

All of the Thais in my village raised pigs at one time and now nobody does. When you mention raising pigs they just chuckle.

Can be done if done properly. You must have been shit out of luck with the prices, although I suspect the person telling you the prices was a little wide of the truth.

• Like 1