best way to make money ( little bit ) in isaan

kranuan

Send the wife on a free hair-dressing course , work from home ,minimum outlay/ risk . Even in remote villages ,the boys and girls are more concerned with their hairstyles than anything else . Also , wifey can pretty much choose the hours to suit ...and nothing's lost once the novelty's worn off and she can't be arsed anymore !

• Like 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it and above posts seem to confirm it: A Farang should be here to enjoy live. Having made money "before" he ever came to Thailand. Needing to make money here, in order to survive ?

In agriculture? Wife happens to have land. (The poorest people in Thailand are Farmers).

Mom and Pop shop,etc.? (This must be the ultimate joke).

As a general rule: If Thai-Wife comes along with a splendid business-idea, just say no! She may not be happy, but saves the Farang money and aggravation.

AND THE MORAL OF THE STORY: Farang must have money to begin with, or have a secure income from his home-country on a monthly basis. If this does not apply, a sad ending of the Farangs "Thailand-Adventure" is already programmed.

Cheers.

Not true at all. Sitting round all day is a sad ending. In fact your pos is junk.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

since this post mainly concern those older/established farangs who has presumable an outside income....ie. pension, i dont think sitting around has to be an option.

there is lots of other things to take up apart from losing money on a sad business venture.

another thing to lose a bit to keep wife a hobby, as some mentioned.

and again another to try to make income, if one has no outside income...

lots of truth in this thread about small thai business, that one should consider,

such like thais copy everything if they can, such as in a remote area hard to sell things that not yet selling and has the population to support your venture, such like you not only need the capital input to raise animals, but also a ready market to absorb it, produce-cycle, etc, etc.

opinions can and do differ, but i dont think the post you refer to is junk. a different opinion than yours, granted.

I don't think it's an age related post at all. Re read Swissies last paragraph. His opinions his and mines mine. Plenty of guys with successful businesses large and small in Thailand. To say it will end in misery and failure is absurd, and thinking like this no wonder he says so. The end.

plenty of those biz made while on depending on money what is not made from the said biz, and definately most of those biz where set up as far away from a remote Issan location, as possible.

as a rule of thumb number in biz, a 90% failure is an accepted number, add in being outside of your own enviroment, language, vulture, that must be even higher...

while there is plenty successes you see, i tend to think that your numbers/reality further from the truth than Swissie's in this case.

I know it and above posts seem to confirm it: A Farang should be here to enjoy live. Having made money "before" he ever came to Thailand. Needing to make money here, in order to survive ?

In agriculture? Wife happens to have land. (The poorest people in Thailand are Farmers).

As a general rule: If Thai-Wife comes along with a splendid business-idea, just say no! She may not be happy, but saves the Farang money and aggravation.

AND THE MORAL OF THE STORY: Farang must have money to begin with, or have a secure income from his home-country on a monthly basis. If this does not apply, a sad ending of the Farangs "Thailand-Adventure" is already programmed.

Cheers.

Not true at all. Sitting round all day is a sad ending. In fact your pos is junk.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Always like a good counter-analysis. Yours consists of 18 words. Impressive.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Cheers.

Perhaps this simplistic view could become the visa requirements for farangs? Sounds like a well read pile of <deleted> to me.

AND THE MORAL OF THE STORY: Farang must have money to begin with, or have a secure income from his home-country on a monthly basis.

= Is already an immigration-requirement. Must have escaped you.

Give it 2 to 3 years and it will be enforced, with no exceptions. One of my stepdaughters works for immigration. (I didn't mean to spoil your day.) Be prepared.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Grow mushrooms... easy to do and you can sell them to local restaurants and other village markets... I say other villages as this will reduce the risk of people in your village from starting their own farm. They can't copy what they can't see.

One thing a mate of mine did was to start a Co-op in his village, he has the whole place growing them (mostly anyways) and he and his wife control the sales and the people involved all make a few extra Baht and he's helping the community that he loves!

You can even take them to the "big smoke" to sell if you happen to live close to one.

Plenty of guys with successful businesses

Correct, and the reason they are successful is because thats exactly what they are, a business.

The ones ending in failure and misery are from what I have observed over the years, nothing more than a welfare project or job creation scheme.

To me ^ this ^ comment nails it.

I was given good business advice many years ago that has always worked for me "To make money stay close to money" i.e. Always pitch to where there is money to be spent. Unfortunately my limited experience of Isaan leads me to believe that dirt poor farmers heavily into debt secured by their next rice crop have little money to spend.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I was given good business advice many years ago that has always worked for me "To make money stay close to money" i.e. Always pitch to where there is money to be spent. Unfortunately my limited experience of Isaan leads me to believe that dirt poor farmers heavily into debt secured by their next rice crop have little money to spend.

,,, and, therefore, no one in their right mind would target this end of the market. There are plenty of non- 'dirt poor rice farmers' in Isaan but finding the right service/product is not always so easy.

I still believe there is scope to provide better quality food outlets. Offer something better than poor quality food in a Thai 'BBQ' environment and charge a bit more for it. I am seeing growth in this area where Thais have raised the bar in terms of food quality, environment and service.

,,, and, therefore, no one in their right mind would target this end of the market. There are plenty of non- 'dirt poor rice farmers' in Isaan but finding the right service/product is not always so easy.

I still believe there is scope to provide better quality food outlets. Offer something better than poor quality food in a Thai 'BBQ' environment and charge a bit more for it. I am seeing growth in this area where Thais have raised the bar in terms of food quality, environment and service.

As I live in Rayong province which is one of the more affluent in Thailand I have limited knowledge of what goes on your area of the Country. However here there is certainly a growing market for providing that something that is a little better, particularly with food. As a lot of the workers here are originally from Isaan (mine included) they are obviously exposed to all these new "treats" while here. I guess when they return home to visit family they may want to show this side of life to them...... You could be onto something here! I just hope the migrant workers don't blow it all in the many karaoke bars here before they get home.

• Like 2

1. Dig big hole in ground.

2. Fill up with water.

3. Throw in a few hundred talipa.

4. Feed them now and then, although you don't really need to they just grow slower if you don't.

5. Wait a few weeks.

6. Catch them.

7. Profit.

Super deluxe method:

3a - Throw in a few hundred catfish, they eat the talipa crap.

Wholesale option:

Sell the fish.

Vertical market option:

Get the Mrs to BBQ them and sell them outside the house along with sticky rice.

The problem with this is that there is always the fish thiefs.They see the fish as anyones fish if you are not around.Seen many people with that problem.

I would also look at Ebay and see if there are local things that might sell overseas ,

check before you do it to see what postage will cost , but a stupid $10 - $20 SALE seems like nothing to us but after expenses is 250-500 baht profit for each sale, 1-2 days .hard work in Isaan.

Yes getting started on ebay is slow and you are limited to 10 items at the beginning , and Paypal holds your funds for 30-45 days to make sure you are not a scammer , but you get a world wide market to look at local crafts.

And if you can put the items on other sites thats even better,

I saw a short blurb on BBC I think about Thais handpainting pottery and the reporter had them draw a Thai drawing on her iPhone , you could buy cheap iPhone covers and personalize them to sell online, or a hand knitted iPhone cover.....

tons of ideas out there that cost little or nothing to try......

All biz is buying and selling or providing a service.
You won't make any money selling goods to villagers as they don't have any money.
You can make money farming provided there are established local companies buying your products
as those companies do have the money. Forget selling at markets the thais already do it well.
The best biz I know of is financial services. You have some money and everyone wants it so you can sell it.
You just have to be careful when choosing customers but done properly it becomes mutually beneficial for everyone.
We farm some land here in Chayapoum and finance other farmers.
My wife takes care of that while I run my internet biz which posters above have suggested.
Selling Thai goods bought cheaply to the US or Europe is a solid biz approach.
Another service that I have been asked to provide is english teaching to local professional people and Gov officers.
The money would be ok as an extra bit of cash but I don't like teaching and am allergic to working for other people.

All sounds easy but any half decent biz takes time and determination to build but they are free.

I wish you well in your endevours

All biz is buying and selling or providing a service.

You won't make any money selling goods to villagers as they don't have any money.

You can make money farming provided there are established local companies buying your products

as those companies do have the money. Forget selling at markets the thais already do it well.

The best biz I know of is financial services. You have some money and everyone wants it so you can sell it.

You just have to be careful when choosing customers but done properly it becomes mutually beneficial for everyone.

We farm some land here in Chayapoum and finance other farmers.

My wife takes care of that while I run my internet biz which posters above have suggested.

Selling Thai goods bought cheaply to the US or Europe is a solid biz approach.

Another service that I have been asked to provide is english teaching to local professional people and Gov officers.

The money would be ok as an extra bit of cash but I don't like teaching and am allergic to working for other people.

All sounds easy but any half decent biz takes time and determination to build but they are free.

I wish you well in your endevours

unlike a work permit! cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Unlike a work permit?

What am I missing here in the above post?

I think Diligad was referring to the following sentence and suggesting that (unlike time and determination) work permits are not free.

I am not prepared to explain any subtleties that may go beyond that....

Grow mushrooms... easy to do and you can sell them to local restaurants and other village markets... I say other villages as this will reduce the risk of people in your village from starting their own farm. They can't copy what they can't see.

One thing a mate of mine did was to start a Co-op in his village, he has the whole place growing them (mostly anyways) and he and his wife control the sales and the people involved all make a few extra Baht and he's helping the community that he loves!

You can even take them to the "big smoke" to sell if you happen to live close to one.

Beware though - demand and prices are affected by the wild mushrooms season. Whenever wild mushrooms bloom, demand, and therefore prices, fall drastically. This is my experience. Of course we were small, and only selling to the locals in the same village. To sell to the chains, you are looking at big investments in land, huts, workers, pods, etc etc....

One thing that I can't see mentioned in any of the replies is the question of what part you are going to play. If it's just going to be your wife then OK but if you are going to help then you could have problems as you would need a work permit and I doubt you'd get one.

You may be OK until you upset someone or they take a dislike to your success. Then you could get a visit fro the police. From what I've heard about the employment laws for foreigners virtually anything can be viewed as work.

Maybe someone else with more knowledge might be able to help on this.

Whatever you do good luck.

• Like 1

One thing that I can't see mentioned in any of the replies is the question of what part you are going to play. If it's just going to be your wife then OK but if you are going to help then you could have problems as you would need a work permit and I doubt you'd get one.

You may be OK until you upset someone or they take a dislike to your success. Then you could get a visit fro the police. From what I've heard about the employment laws for foreigners virtually anything can be viewed as work.

You are correct, but in reality it is unlikely that the authorities will take much interest. Also it is nothing to do with the police. Labour office have the jurisdiction on this one.

Let's face it...if the local authorities were interested then there would be NO western orientated bars or restaurants anywhere.

• Like 1

i am with puchooay.

especially on the issan boonies, not one seem really to care if a farang helps his wife/gf.

help doesnt equal being the front though.

for example we have some mushrooms we sell in the local market sometimes as well.

now, i dont stand behind the stand, that is wife or son; however working with the mushrooms on our farm is work together, also no one will complain driving my wife to the market, etc.

people like to wave this work permit issue a lot more than they should, really.

in the end you will get to the point that cutting your grass around the house is work too...or doing whatever around a house...after all that is not your land. and even volunteer work needs permits...

Bullshits!

do as normal, dont push yourself to be the biz front, but it isnt that black and white as some so quick to point to things members want to make believe.

• Like 1

i am with puchooay.

especially on the issan boonies, not one seem really to care if a farang helps his wife/gf.

for example we have some mushrooms we sell in the local market sometimes as well.

now, i dont stand behind the stand, that is wife or son; however working with the mushrooms on our farm is work together, also no one will complain driving my wife to the market, etc.

in the end you will get to the point that cutting your grass around the house is work too...or doing whatever around a house...after all that is not your land. and even volunteer work needs permits...

Bullshits!

do as normal, dont push yourself to be the biz front, but it isnt that black and white as some so quick to point to things members want to make believe.

You're probably right that nothing will happen and it goes on all the time and I probably infringe the laws myself in some small way. The reason I mentioned it was that the OP didn't mention how much he was going to be involved and it concerned me that maybe he wasn't aware of the situation and might be too out front.

I saw a post yesterday which I can't find about a farang married to a Thai who had 9 rooms that the wife rented out. There was a guy looking at the room and wanted to know the price but the wife was in the toilet or on the phone and after the guy became insistent the farang just said what he thought was roughly the price . 30 minutes later the police turn up. They got out of it by paying a bribe which I believe was quite a lot. These may not happen a lot but there are often stories on here. It's usually down to upsetting someone who may know someone with influence. It just pays to be aware since it's virtually impossible to get out of bed without breaking the law.

As for puchooay and the labour office yes they would be involved although it could be immigration depending on the visa but it's the police who come for you and probably for your money as well.

Anyway best of luck just be careful.

• Like 1

i am with puchooay.

Bullshits!

You're probably right that nothing will happen and it goes on all the time and I probably infringe the laws myself in some small way. The reason I mentioned it was that the OP didn't mention how much he was going to be involved and it concerned me that maybe he wasn't aware of the situation and might be too out front.

I saw a post yesterday which I can't find about a farang married to a Thai who had 9 rooms that the wife rented out. There was a guy looking at the room and wanted to know the price but the wife was in the toilet or on the phone and after the guy became insistent the farang just said what he thought was roughly the price . 30 minutes later the police turn up. They got out of it by paying a bribe which I believe was quite a lot. These may not happen a lot but there are often stories on here. It's usually down to upsetting someone who may know someone with influence. It just pays to be aware since it's virtually impossible to get out of bed without breaking the law.

As for puchooay and the labour office yes they would be involved although it could be immigration depending on the visa but it's the police who come for you and probably for your money as well.

Anyway best of luck just be careful.

Good post, I agree that the chances are slim UNTIL you P off a local or another farang.

It is surprising (& worrying) how easy it is to pay someone to give another business problems.

Covert ops are needed to stop your concerns IMO

Many posts like that but never any proof. I understand that things like this happen a lot in the more touristy areas where the stakes are higher and the police are more............!

To be honest I don't read much into these stories. It is all just people scaremongering. I have been in many places where there have been westerners present. The police have visited, checked what they are allowed to check and left.

A mate of mine has a place that is near to most of the local district offices. His place is frequented by all and sundry all in uniforms. He is polite, a great host and gets on with them. No problems.

These posts about people getting arrested for hanging up a picture, or something similar, are usually only half the story.

For work permit or visa issues, if the regular police come and ask for money then you need to ask them to come back with Immigration.

Technically the crime is not a Criminal offence. It is a violation of visa conditions.

You will be punished by Immigration. Ask them to handle it.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 1

yesterday.

i was driving my wife to the amphur market in out old pickup, she in the back sitting with mushrooms, me and son up front.

this is a 4 digit quiet enough road during the day, so, bad me, i dont bother to buckle up normally for the racing speed of 60-70km/h on these pleasents mid-days, encountering about 10 cars in 15 km distance.

police checkpoint ahead. oho. bad me, now prepared for smiling sorry, or paying up for the belt.

no need.

the police guys were lot busier asking my wife in the back about what we carry...mushrooms.

then they got bogged down with inquires that if she grows them, and if farang (me) also can eat nor not mushrooms.

after it got established, that yes, farangs can also eat mushrooms, we were on our way.

now, for the belt, sraightforward, i could be fined.

but what would be driving the wife to the market?

work? duty? fun? all the mentioned.

but what it would be for the police?

regular life i guess. that is what families do. go on with life. we do the same.

if you dont do big offenses, you dont have something that makes other ppl very jealous, etc, i dont think there is lot to worry, really.

• Like 2

The concept of work is so vague, that it means anything and everything.

They use the concept of anything being physical labor as work.

If a Thai can do it, then you should be paying a Thai to do it.

My Doctor tells me, you need to exercise.

Will I be breaking Thai law by engaging in this activity?

Even lifting up a beer to my mouth could be considered

work.

I really hate having to "Bow To The Absurd".

now, I feel better..

• Like 2

Many posts like that but never any proof. I understand that things like this happen a lot in the more touristy areas where the stakes are higher and the police are more............!

To be honest I don't read much into these stories. It is all just people scaremongering. I have been in many places where there have been westerners present. The police have visited, checked what they are allowed to check and left.

A mate of mine has a place that is near to most of the local district offices. His place is frequented by all and sundry all in uniforms. He is polite, a great host and gets on with them. No problems.

These posts about people getting arrested for hanging up a picture, or something similar, are usually only half the story.

For work permit or visa issues, if the regular police come and ask for money then you need to ask them to come back with Immigration.

Technically the crime is not a Criminal offence. It is a violation of visa conditions.

You will be punished by Immigration. Ask them to handle it.

I must admit don't have the time or interest to investigate whether they are true but in most cases I can't see any point in lying.

My main concern when replying to the OP was based on the fact that I didn't know if he had any idea about the rules regarding working in Thailand. I know most do but I've heard of some that don't simply because they are retired and have no intention of working.

It's certainly an interesting thread as it covers a lot of things ex pats here might want to do.

I think it's a very small risk I agree but so long as you are aware of it you can be careful.

I believe the rules state that anything involving effort or the use of knowledge whether for payment or not is considered work. I understand the reasoning behind the way it's worded but it does mean I can't get out of bed or correct my wife's English. laugh.png

Edited by kimamey
  • Like 1

You are correct, but in reality it is unlikely that the authorities will take much interest. Also it is nothing to do with the police. Labour office have the jurisdiction on this one.

Let's face it...if the local authorities were interested then there would be NO western orientated bars or restaurants anywhere.

western bars and restaurants pay good money to deflect interest. are you willing to do the same?

western bars and restaurants pay good money to deflect interest. are you willing to do the same?

Of the 8 restaurants or bars that I know of in my area none have even had a wiff of interest from the Police.

Those that pay up, well more fool them. You don't need to.

Of the 8 restaurants or bars that I know of in my area none have even had a wiff of interest from the Police.

Those that pay up, well more fool them. You don't need to.

until some jealous troublemaker starts complaining and writing letters