Surin: Fed-up driver boots foreign tourists out of minibus

webfact

EVA flight from Bangkok to Amsterdam and back are generally good.

[...]

In short, a menace.

That the reason why I don't fly EVA any more. I was just p***ed off by these people. Spitting on the floor in the plane is good manners for them, I had to find out. sick.gif

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Driver should have been charged with carrying a weapon.

The Chinese person who slapped the driver should be charged with some form of assault (however minor).

Yes, the Tourists were poorly behaved, however the driver was hardly well placed in his position in a service based industry. It doesn't matter where the tourists wished to go, the its the van drivers job to follow their requests and instructions.

That said, If the tourists are impolite, the Van driver was well within his rights to refuse them. He did well to kick them out instead of allowing the situation to escalate further.

Seems to me that you can't make up your mind regarding this incident ??? w00t.gif

Maybe there were roads issues or something that made him hesitant to go where asked, this is what happens when people can not comunicate, or its just about rude chineese idk i know very little about them.

Hi

Almost certainly the Chinese (or anyone else) would have pre-arranged a price for the tour with the driver. Indeed it would be silly not to do so.

If we could assume that this is the case, then what the driver was saying about having to drive unnecessarily would be very understandable.

TL

• Like 1

If they already do that to a driver..... What is their behavior when they have a few and try to have fun in a bar?!?

They didn't like his restaurant choices,,, what's going to happen in Pattaya ????

Driver should have been charged with carrying a weapon.

The Chinese person who slapped the driver should be charged with some form of assault (however minor).

Yes, the Tourists were poorly behaved, however the driver was hardly well placed in his position in a service based industry. It doesn't matter where the tourists wished to go, the its the van drivers job to follow their requests and instructions.

That said, If the tourists are impolite, the Van driver was well within his rights to refuse them. He did well to kick them out instead of allowing the situation to escalate further.

Seems to me that you can't make up your mind regarding this incident ??? w00t.gif

Why does he need to make up his mind about it this incident?

Since neither he, nor I (nor you I presume) were present in the vehicle or at the Police Station, he is simply commenting on the various aspects as he sees fit and is perfectly entitled to do so.

At least his comments are related to the original post. Your comment is just a pointless and needless jab at another member of the forum.

TL

• Like 2

Bloody PRC Chinese. Worse kind of tourists. Rude, boorish, loud, insensitive of local culture and think just because they have some money, they can do whatever they want. It's not just in Thailand, people find them offensive whereever they go.

No argument, nevertheless, only one side is presented and it is quite possible that the driver, aided by the interpreter, was trying to force the tourists into restaurants and shops where he/his company get commissions on sales.and the Chinese would have none of it. If so, do you blame them?

If they already do that to a driver..... What is their behavior when they have a few and try to have fun in a bar?!?

They didn't like his restaurant choices,,, what's going to happen in Pattaya ????

Probably did not like them taking them to commission places.

Let's see - someone is driving a van with 6 passengers in it and someone slaps the driver on the back of the head @ 80-100 KPH?

Given the possible consequences of this act of stupidily - the slapper should have been charged - the driver could argue rightfully that this action could have caused a tragedy and he was fearful for his life/well being as well as the other passengers in the van.....

Driver did well and got a bad deal.....then has to take them to Pattaya???????

I worked in, but never lived in, PRChina for many years starting in the late 1980's. When people ask what is the main difference between the Chinese now and when you were there, I reply: When I was in China they were poor.

Bloody PRC Chinese. Worse kind of tourists. Rude, boorish, loud, insensitive of local culture and think just because they have some money, they can do whatever they want. It's not just in Thailand, people find them offensive whereever they go.

Lots of people say this about the Thai tourists abroad as well...

Or the Jews, the Russians, the Brits, the.................you name it.

Nothing new under the sun.

I bet when you go to vacation, ultimately also want to go on your travel plan, not what someone else want to force you into, and want to eat in restaurants you find acceptable not what someone tells you is good enough for you!

Have a reality check, maybe!?

Slapping taxi drivers over the head, misbehaving, no manners, ok, these are things to look forward to if you want the Yen, you see,there is a Karma, its called chinese tourists...clap2.gif

The Yen???

CNY Yuan or yen.

Let's see - someone is driving a van with 6 passengers in it and someone slaps the driver on the back of the head @ 80-100 KPH?

Given the possible consequences of this act of stupidily - the slapper should have been charged - the driver could argue rightfully that this action could have caused a tragedy and he was fearful for his life/well being as well as the other passengers in the van.....

Driver did well and got a bad deal.....then has to take them to Pattaya???????

stopping: rightful

admitted laying hand on knife/threatning with knife by driver: not rightful.

if the driver could lie his way out, like in a 1:1 situation, he would stab a tourist too....vs 5 it isnt that easy with 1 knife.

as the drive them to somewhere after: issue between driver and his boss.

i am sure the boss didnt want to issue a refund and have a minibus going empty back.

money is thai's god too, and since the driver took them....well, obviously money talks here too.

Slapping taxi drivers over the head, misbehaving, no manners, ok, these are things to look forward to if you want the Yen, you see,there is a Karma, its called chinese tourists...clap2.gif

You mean the Yuan, right my friend? The Japanese, although having a stereotype as being arrogant, are only arrogant because they have largely earnt their place from the "naughty boys corner" after WWII to the "naughty boys corner" at Soi Cowboy.. and leaders in the business world. They are an example of what Chinese should aspire to become.

As a couple of posters pointed out the conflict maybe started when they refused to go to commissioned places and both the guide and driver usually managing to control the passengers and get their own way,

A bunch of mainland spitting and shouting chinese are a different caliber,

Smoking and spitting is something they do allowed or not where ever they are. if thailand wants chinese tourists they will have to put up with this mentality.

So it is acceptible to not want to go where asked. They paid they decide where and when they go. Oh forgot.....thailand does not need happy tourists only their money.

Usually the driver would be paid on pre-agreed destination/route, if it changes that means more time and more fuel - therefore he should have the right to say no or pay more please... story states they asked him to go back and forth and on routes that were not convenient. Chinese tourists are growing in number and the more that come the more they bring unusual expectations of what they should get for their money. They are invariably rude, ignorant, impolite, dirty in their manner (picking off fruit displays in supermarkets like they are a buffet is one example) and disrespectful to most they meet. Don't be surprised to see many more stories in the future of Chinese meeting un-"happy endings" in Thailand if they continue to p1ss off the locals in this way with their behaviour. whistling.gif

I do agree what you written here, I'm a chinese but I'm not from China and I don't like the way they behave as well. When you are in the same hotel with them you will understand what I meant, they slam doors, running around the walkway and talk loud as it is no body business. I experience many time and I have to check out the next day angry.gif

.........if you add a detail.....like how much they were charged.......you might interpret it quite differently...

And we only have the word of the driver who admits threatening the people with a knife that he was hit.

Edited by harrry

+1... make that +100.

Just reading the title I thought it was going to be a different story. I was pleasantly surprised to read it was the passengers that were being the jerks. If everything in the article is true, the driver shouldn't be fined and the chinese passengers should be forced to take an etiquette class before departing home.

I have flown EVA back and forth from the states more times than I can count and have never encountered the awful behavior described here by the Chinese. maybe they are different when they have to go to Europe. Depression and all that showing itself. (Kidding!) What they do here may be another matter. Driver needed to use interpreter and set some ground rules, give a warning, then boot them. Put them in a Rohinga camp or something like that.

A van driver telling mainland chinese not to smoke in his van will cause conflict,

The van driver, tour guide along with the tour company have the MO to get as much out of the tourists as possible, they have to learn with a pack of chinese tourists this wont be so easy,

I have been told for years about the thoughts of hong kong citizens towards mainland chinese, their first goal was to stop them doing the washing in the hotel swimming pool.

Lots of people say this about the Thai tourists abroad as well...

Or the Jews, the Russians, the Brits, the.................you name it.

Nothing new under the sun.

I bet when you go to vacation, ultimately also want to go on your travel plan, not what someone else want to force you into, and want to eat in restaurants you find acceptable not what someone tells you is good enough for you!

Have a reality check, maybe!?

Wrong. I am not one no generalize but after 30 years in the hotel business I can assure you that certain nationalities are a lot more difficult to handle then others. There are, of course, always exception and I guess it is also a cultural thing, but with groups of certain nationalities I just know 100% that there will be trouble. I haven't seen many Brits hawk up from the soles of their feet and spit on the restaurant floor.

• Like 1