Where to buy a 10ft rod that breaks down small and is very strong.

dogpoo

Hi you are saying the line stopper bothers you while casting ? We just use rubber bands and its easy as hell the guides at Bungsamran showed us. But even before that using normal line stoppers I never had a problem with a short rod.

But to give you an idea for years 2-3 I fished here with a rod pod and 2 10ft shimano rods (1 beastmaster and the other actually 12ft 3lb rod). Both had shimano 6500b bait-runners on it but the drag was never as smooth as any of the multiplier reels. I only found that out later and i started to recognize Thai setups some spend 30k on their setup (you would never know unless you know what to look for) Now I got setups like that too.

Only problem was learning to cast with them.. i still make mistakes now and again.

I only go fishing maybe 4 times a year, spending huge amounts on reels is not worth it to me, the Shimano bait runners 8000D are perfect for me, as for the float stoppers it is just so much easier using a longer rod, I have seen many Falang fishing at Cha am and not one has used a short rod, I am the only person to do so, yes short rods are definitely better when it comes to controlling large fish, I have always used my short rods for free-lining and ledgering but for me when it comes to fishing on the bottom using a float in deep water a long rod is the way to go providing the rod is strong enough to handle big fish!
oK,

Yes I fish quite a lot more then you and if you only fish that many times a year it makes no sense at all. Still you are invited to fish with us in BSR once if you are up to it. Have a nice chat and such.

I was not attacking you in anyway hope you understand that, just that did the same you did. As for rods, i think the beastmaster that I have would be perfect for you as it is 3 pieces (actually more like 2 and a small piece) but it it strong enough to control any fish as it is a catfish rod. I might even be willing to sell it for a good offer as it is not being used.

http://www.raven.nl/gb/product/others/1868_catfish_rods/beastmaster_super_cat/bmaxscat/

No I have not had a problem with any of your posts to me! I have 2 great short rods an I have a 10 footer made for Mekong, my problem will be carrying them when I start using the bike, hence why I am looking at travel rods, thanks for the offer but I am looking for a rod that will be 24 inches or less when made up!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixed spool is often the name used for spinning reels aka baitrunner, the casting weight 10-20 ounce means the weight your are casting should be within this range...less and the rod wont load up and propel the bait and end tackle as expected, more weight means you stand a chance of breaking the rod during the cast,

The thing many anglers dont realise is that buying a rod off the shelf and expecting it to match a reel they have is a very hit and miss thing, On a spinning rod setup it does,nt matter too much when fighting a fish as long as the reel seat and the reel mounting foot match, but it makes a big difference on casting and its all to do with the position of the stripper guide or rather the distance from the reel,

The only true way to test if they match is to mount the real on the rod and fix a line on the tiptop then thread it through the guides back to the real, hold the line in the center of the spool and the line should be in the center of the stripper guide, of course the size of the stripper guide in relation to the size of the spool matters also,

Hope that makes senserolleyes.gif

As for casting reels or multipliers the match problems come mostly when a fish is on and the rod really gets loaded, if the stripper guide distance from the real is too far then as the rod loads the line starts cutting into the grip or even the blank,

Edited by tingtongfarang

Decided to go for a Greys Excursion boat rod, 2.43m long 30-50lb 6pc cost is 85 pounds, not happy about using a 12ft rod here,

I used a shimano beastmaster 12ft rod here, the locals were quite amazed at the distance i could cast with it. But that is about the only good thing about long rods here. Big fish are hard to control with them, and as i fish for mekong and not carp its useless. Carp are a bit weaker so that would be ok but a 50kg Mekong on a long rod.. no way.

when first into the angling scene here i also had a long 2 piece rod but the idea of short jigging rods never occurred to me until i found i had problems in many venues with casting space, my first short rods i found casting distance to be a problem although the casting weight matched the rod, i found that certain high end blanks regardless of length cast very far but of course your casting style has to change in order to load the rod,

The black rock 4-8 blank i built and wrapped in spiral (acid wrap) built as my personal mehkong rod performs better than i could have imagined, I thought i had found its casting limits until one day a young thai kid seen the wrap and got curious how it would cast, i said go for it thinking he would make a fxckup on the first cast, wow...he made it fly and added maybe a third to my distance which surprised him also,

i got the idea his first cast was a fluke and let him carry on for a while...nope he had the same result everytime with his thumb keeping spool control in flight, no hint of a birdsnest in sight, i never could work out what he did to get that distance.

This is also built for personal use but 2-4pe also acid wrap, something i would use in venues such as shadow lake,cha am fishing park and similar, it will manage the average mehkongs at bsr but when one of the larger ones come along it wont hack it power wise.

its a nice feeling using rods designed and built yourself.

post-28598-0-58872400-1377386555_thumb.j

post-28598-0-23915700-1377386580_thumb.j

post-28598-0-21036500-1377386606_thumb.j

Edited by tingtongfarang
  • Like 1

30 / 50lb means the line you can put on there if you put a stronger line on there the rod might snap (if your drag is too tight too)

Okay, I use 65lb braid so I guess that is okay, is this an ideal rod which can deal with everything, remember I only fish Cha am fishing park! Need a travel rod as it will be going on my Forza!!

No actually its not okay its more then what the rod allows for. So unless the drag on your reel can never be to tight it could end up breaking the rod if you got a real big one on and drag real tight.

I don't understand your reply, I think the 30/50lb is more about the thickness of the line, 65lb braid is only 16dia very thin, as for the drag, who in there right mind would set the drag to very stiff, you start out reasonably light and tighten as is needed, I think this rod will be perfect for my particular needs and it is at a reasonable price, my Exoga is PE 6-8 best drag 10/12kgs it is a great rod and I have never had a problem handling any of the big Mekong in Cha am, not sure if this is similar to the Greys 30/50lb the Exoga is one piece so no good for the bike!

No it has nothing to do with the thickness of the line but its about the strength it is rated for. It would mean a 30-50lb braid too. These values are put on rods so you dont put a too strong a line on a rod and break it if your drag is to stiff or if the line gets stuck.

Just read up on it it has nothing to do with the thickness / diameter of a line but with the strength of it.

No it has nothing to do with the thickness of the line but its about the strength it is rated for. It would mean a 30-50lb braid too. These values are put on rods so you dont put a too strong a line on a rod and break it if your drag is to stiff or if the line gets stuck.

Just read up on it it has nothing to do with the thickness / diameter of a line but with the strength of it.

I will use 50lb braid, sorted!!

Have to say, in my experience braid tends to be much stronger than it's quoted strength, I use Berkeley Fireline, what do others find? Just a word of caution as you're proposing to use something close to the rods maximum.

By the way, when you quoted casting weight I think you meant 20-30gms not ounces.

Tight Lines.

Have to say, in my experience braid tends to be much stronger than it's quoted strength, I use Berkeley Fireline, what do others find? Just a word of caution as you're proposing to use something close to the rods maximum.

By the way, when you quoted casting weight I think you meant 20-30gms not ounces.

Tight Lines.

Yes braid often gives the impression its stronger than what is stated on the box or roll, we used to fish with braid all the time but stopped using it for float fishing because it never sinks...the float just swims around anywhere but where u cast and want it to stay...others on the forum here stopped for the same reason, anyway you have to use a shockleader else it cuts the fish to bits,

I have 8 lure fishing setups but they are all spooled with braid for another reason, often lure fishing means casting into the vegetation or on the edge of it, when a fish takes the lure they fight to get into the green stuff, braid cuts right through,

Try wrapping braid around a cabbage for instance, pull on it and it cuts through like a knife, does mega damage to the fish also without a shockleader.

I have to have a travel rod, 3lb test curve 12ft seems to be the strongest rod in travel form, what line can be used with this rod and is it going to be strong enough for huge Cahor and Mekong? Keep in mind I only fish Cha am fishing park, my K1 Thai rod was destroyed today by a Mekong, now in 3 pieces!!

Going against the trend, I'd suggest you look for a fiberglass rod instead of graphite.

Graphite will be lighter and more sensitive. But it is also brittle and easy to damage in transit. Even a tiny nick that you won't notice will doom a graphite rod to fail the next time it's loaded up. I'd bet that's what happened to your high grade rod that's now in 3 pieces. I used to keep rods for decades until I started traveling with them, and now I break several every year. My own fault really.

Euro carp rods (similar to what you describe) have thick walls and are a little less vulnerable, but the match and feeder rods with thin walls will break if mistreated at all. Hauling them around on a scooter is "mistreating" them. They get mistreated a lot on their way from the factory to the end user, too. Typically I expected 1 in 20 of the rods I sold to fail the first time out. Some models it was more, some less. That's what warranties are for.

You're not going to be casting non-stop fishing for the big cats, so the extra weight won't wear you out. You may miss the sensitivity, but when the float goes down, who cares?

Side benefit is that a good glass rod can cost a fraction of what a good carbon rod will cost. Especially a 10-12 footer since the cost of graphite rods (at the factory) is a function of the ounces of graphite used. Cost at retail is more of a function of whose brand name they screen onto the rod, but that's another long story.

Edited by impulse

I have to have a travel rod, 3lb test curve 12ft seems to be the strongest rod in travel form, what line can be used with this rod and is it going to be strong enough for huge Cahor and Mekong? Keep in mind I only fish Cha am fishing park, my K1 Thai rod was destroyed today by a Mekong, now in 3 pieces!!

I got a 3 lb test curve travel rod and id say mekong big ones will destroy it you wont be able to control the fish. You will bother everyone else as your line will be all over the place as your rod just cant handle to pressure.

Carp would be ok as they are not as strong as the Mekongs. I have had big mekong on my 3lb rod and it was bad as you cant stop them. This is not a problem if you dont mind a real long battle and bothering other anglers.

At Gilhams the rule is that everyone reels in when the mekong is going your way because they know those rods just cant really control them and they are a bit stronger as 3lb (but long rods). So technically you might be ok if there are no snags and such and you go on for a real long time following the fish ect and other anglers don't get bored with you.

Love my xoga but it is one piece just under 6ft, strong enough for anything! post-166124-13776749307883_thumb.jpg

Git this yesterday, estimated at between 45/50kgs you say Carp are not as strong, this one didn't agree, it was like battling Moby Dick!! What a fish!!

I have transported 1 piece rods of 6ft on my bike. I just tied on rope and strapped it on my back. only problem was that you would be a little wider as normal (rod sticking out a bit. I have thought about transporting it horizontal. Think i have even tried it once had a tube on the back that i stuck the rod in and i put it at an angle. If you really want there are ways to transport a rod safely

Love my xoga but it is one piece just under 6ft, strong enough for anything! attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1377674976.468607.jpg

Git this yesterday, estimated at between 45/50kgs you say Carp are not as strong, this one didn't agree, it was like battling Moby Dick!! What a fish!!

Great fish.. nice and big. I had a similar one a while back.

caho.jpg

• Like 1

Years ago, I drove an International Harvester Scout. It had PVC tube rod holders installed vertically in front of the grill.

I loaded my fully assembled 10-12' surf rigs (fiberglass) into the PVC tubes and headed off to the beach about 20 minutes from the house (plus another 10-60 minutes down the beach). Never had a problem with the rods, reels or the popo. (Texas in the '80s when you were actually allowed to drive while sipping a beer)

You may think about mounting a vertical rod holder on your scooter. Put a tiny flag on top and they'll think you're making a statement. You can use the same mount for an umbrella in the rain (yes, kidding).

In Thailand, I use capped PVC pipe to hold my rods while traveling where they're not in my sight and care, and an air rifle soft case for when I'm carrying them in my pickup. Sadly, the air rifle case doesn't fit the sections of the longer ones, nor do they fit into the cab of the pickup.

Edited by impulse

• 2 weeks later...

If you use elastic (rubber band) as a float stop Dogpoo then you'll have no problem with the stop being on the reel. I saw John Wilson catching carp using stick floats at cha am. He got caho yeesok and sawaii. Yes the majority of fishing parks keep longer rods for the farang who come over for holidays. I prefer a 5 foot rod.

I have actually just bought a 3.25lb test curve carp rod today for fishing the UK. I learned to fish multipliers when living in Thailand. Now I'm back in the UK I converted my carp rod for my abu multiplier. I can't stand fixed spool reels anymore. I have seen carp rods here up to 5lb test curve but only in a 2 piece. They are used for spodding and catfish.

I wasn't getting much distance on this green rod because it's a parabolic(through) action and just 2.5lb test curve. I'm going to convert the 3.25lb test curve as well. Hopefully I can get to 160 yards.

If only we had the fish over here. Carp fishing back here is so difficult and the weather doesn't make it pleasent.

IMG_00000184.jpg

If you use elastic (rubber band) as a float stop Dogpoo then you'll have no problem with the stop being on the reel. I saw John Wilson catching carp using stick floats at cha am. He got caho yeesok and sawaii. Yes the majority of fishing parks keep longer rods for the farang who come over for holidays. I prefer a 5 foot rod.

I have actually just bought a 3.25lb test curve carp rod today for fishing the UK. I learned to fish multipliers when living in Thailand. Now I'm back in the UK I converted my carp rod for my abu multiplier. I can't stand fixed spool reels anymore. I have seen carp rods here up to 5lb test curve but only in a 2 piece. They are used for spodding and catfish.

I wasn't getting much distance on this green rod because it's a parabolic(through) action and just 2.5lb test curve. I'm going to convert the 3.25lb test curve as well. Hopefully I can get to 160 yards.

If only we had the fish over here. Carp fishing back here is so difficult and the weather doesn't make it pleasent.

Posted Image

I am quite happy to use my 6' 3" for the carp, you are only fishing a few meters out from the edge, you are right about fishing in the UK, carp fishing is very difficult, the fish are not huge and the weather makes fishing unpleasant! Good luck whilst you are there!

IMG_00000184.jpg

I am quite happy to use my 6' 3" for the carp, you are only fishing a few meters out from the edge, you are right about fishing in the UK, carp fishing is very difficult, the fish are not huge and the weather makes fishing unpleasant! Good luck whilst you are there!

I've been back 3 years now. What a change. The fishing here is terrible, the weather terrible, but my job is good. Nothing I can do about that for a while.

I still think about fishing in Thailand every 2 milliseconds. It's really worlds apart. Florida was great as well but nowhere near as easy as Thailand. It's great that you can go to a place, fish it for a few hours and drive home or go back to the hotel with little in the way of tackle etc. Spain was also nice but fishing the wild Ebro means you can go days and weeks without the rod even twitching. Thailand has it right as you can always fish wild waters as well.

Oh I actually got a bass rod, to fish with a little multiplier back here in England. I haven't caught a carp on it yet, just bream. I'm hoping it makes catching the smaller fish more fun.

Here it is next to a 6500 Abu.

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

I can use it to throw tiny lures but I want to get a carp on it. I don't think it will have much trouble. Fish here seem so lazy. They don't really pull.

Edited by jackinbkk