BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremiahnewton

Hat Yai

My wife and I are looking at taking the Stamford College course in Hat Yai. I wanted some honest appraisals of the situation in the south from people who actually live there. Is it currently safe to be in Hat Yai area for about a month or 2?

Hat Yai town is, I believe, largely Chinese. Things have been pretty quiet in that area lately, any Hat Yai residents out there with any info?

What course is this you are planning on taking, out of curiousities sake?

Tesol course I know I know doing the English Teaching bit but a man has to pay his way somehow. Was actually also going to see if they had a welding vo-tech in the area if I found it safe enough. Not to actually do in Thailand as a profession just wanted to brush up on my skills.

I don't live in Thailand, but my in-laws live about an hour drive away from Hat Yai. Last year when we visited I went to Hat Yai several times. At that time they had removed the street trash cans for fear of someone placing a bomb in one of them. Personally, I didn't feel afraid at all and think that the chances of there being any problems are about the same as they are for Bangkok and Koh Samui. In fact, last year on Samui they had guards check our car's trunk for bombs when we went to shop at Tesco Lotus.

Although there are a lot of ethnic Chinese running businesses, Hat Yai does have a large Muslim population. Where my sister-in-law used to live, you could hear the call to prayers on loadspeakers every morning.

If you act proper, dress conservatively, act respectfully, and don't advertise you nationality and stay out of harm's way.. Then you'll be fine.

However, if you act and behave like a..... then you'll have a thrill..

No mowhawks here yet atleast lol :o

Always tried to keep to the old adage treat people with respect and atleast you know you did the right thing at the end of the day.

Actually I have been heading out there for movies and western food. Not bad, certainly a alternative from Phuket and Bangkok.

Go for it.

Hi,

I am a regular visitor to Hatyai from Malaysia. It takes me about a five hours

drive from my home to Hatyai. The three Southern Thai muslim majority States are

very near to the city of Hatyai. The three muslim majority States are Pattani, Narathiwat

and Yala. From Hatyai to Yala town is about a two and half hours drive.

You have to be very cautious and alert when you move around. Sometime about two years ago,

three bombs exploded in the Province of Songkhla causing some casualties.

One exploded at Hatyai International Airport, one at Carrefour, and one at the hotel entrance

in Songkhla. For quite somtime now it has been very quiet and peaceful.

You will never know when the next attack may come. I stlll go there very often and I am very

cautious and alert when I move around. If you ask me whether I am afraid when I am there.

The answer is ' yes ' ..... I am a bit nervous and I have to be more careful. As the saying

goes, life is always uncertain. Only a few days ago, a bomb expolded in the market in

Pattani causing two fatal casualties and some other minor casualties.

Last year a few Malaysian visitors suffered fatal injuries when a bomb exploded in the

bar at Sungai Golok, a town south of the border, just next to Malaysia.

That is the risk you have to take when you are there. Be careful and have a pleasant trip.

Fox,

You forget to mention that Hat Yai railway station has been bombed twice already.

In my opinion Hat Yai is safe to go around in and it always pays off to be carefull, wherever you are.

I was down in Hat Yai at the end of last month ... had a GREAT time ... felt safe ... wandered everywhere.

For more information about Hatyai, you may visit:

http://www.geocities.com/diyexplorer.hatyai

Cheers

Diyexplorer

This is a brief to explain about this website.

This website serves to enable travelers who wish to explore the Thailand's southern city of Hatyai on their own, by providing as much information as possible for them to do so. These information are collated from various forums and websites, which has proven to be highly informative and useful to all, including first-timers to Hatyai. We strive to provide travelers to Hatyai with reliable, comprehensive, updated and independent information, based on the experiences being shared in internet forums. Therefore, we do not accept kickbacks, payment or favours in return for information or positive reviews provided. Furthermore, you need not have to register as a member in order to access the database provided.

Please feel free to explore this site, and hope that you find the information useful to your expedition.

Cheers

Diyexplorer

Edited by diyexplorer

I live in Songkhla 30km from Had Yai. You are more likely to get in trouble at Disneyland. They would love you if you had a mohawk!! The only danger is the traffic!! They had a couple bombs there a while ago but its all gone quiet there. The Muslems don't target westerners, there beef is with the Thai government, besides all the trouble is a few hundred miles to the south. Come on down and enjoy yourself.