Anybody On The West Coast?

jayrockwell

I live not far from Ranong, there are very few farang living here, most we see are whizzing past our door to do their visa runs to Burma (it's the closest border to Phuket/Samui for those who didn't know).

Anybody else living on the West Coast?

It's a beautiful place to live, if sometimes a little quiet.

J

• 3 weeks later...

I have not been to Krabi in two years. I was wondering if it has change at all. The last time I was there they were starting to putt up some new building along the beach road in Aonang. I hope it stays kind of laid back and does not becomes over run with tourist.

A new pier, 3km out of Krabi, got built recently and it's really f**ked things up as now about half the boats to the islands bypass the town, so there's been a big drop in visitor numbers. Lot of hotels, bars, etc now really struggling to survive.

Ao Nang's still growing, almost unrecognisable from 3-4 years ago.

I live not far from Ranong, there are very few farang living here, most we see are whizzing past our door to do their visa runs to Burma

Jay, I'm kind of on the same coast as you, except that I'm on the wrong side of the border. I work up in the Mergui Archipelago, and commute through Ranong from Phuket (which is where the nearest flights to my home city of Perth are).

I always enjoy the run up the coast, and think the Khao Lak is taking off in popularity now. Ranong's also good for shopping (well, ANYWHERE is good for shopping when you live on an island in Burma)

Might see you on the way past next time

best regards

svb

• 2 weeks later...

Organic

Do you know if Ao Nang bay has any jet ski's or para sailing equipment yet? The last time I was there they did not have any of that stuff, might there be a place close by that would have these things. I am not to familar with any other area's around Ao Nang. I would appreciate any help you could offer.

thanks

Jim

None of those things at Ao Nang, the main beach is too crowded in the high season with both people and longtail boats to be practical at a guess. Nopparat Thara beach nearby is a national park, so I doubt it'd be allowed. To be honest I haven't been round the other beaches much.

Nearest place I've seen it is on Koh Phi Phi (Lodalum bay).