Just Got My Lao Tourist Visa from Lao Embassy in BKK

Baloo22

Your post has the air of David Livingstone who has just transversed Africa as the first white man to accomplish such. So glad you made it alive, and have courageously blazed the trail for all the rest of us ignoramuses. Unbelievable: Going to the wrong address, eventually finding the right place. Three hour wait. Plus 200B for express service and cost of lunch.

Frankly, much ado about nothing.

Why don't you just get it at the border as you cross into Laos? Less cost (no "express service" needed--everyone gets it immediately), and takes only 5-10 minutes. At least that's what I did the last 13 times to Laos. Is it possible you're from a country at war with the LPDR? Maybe that accounts for your convoluted process? blink.png

C'mon, the guy's just trying to help. Lighten up.

Your post has the air of David Livingstone who has just transversed Africa as the first white man to accomplish such. So glad you made it alive, and have courageously blazed the trail for all the rest of us ignoramuses. Unbelievable: Going to the wrong address, eventually finding the right place. Three hour wait. Plus 200B for express service and cost of lunch.

Why don't you just get it at the border as you cross into Laos? Less cost (no "express service" needed--everyone gets it immediately), and takes only 5-10 minutes. At least that's what I did the last 13 times to Laos. Is it possible you're from a country at war with the LPDR? Maybe that accounts for your convoluted process? xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.s-RG4kPbeM.webp alt=blink.png width=20 height=20>

Well, according to you, then, I've been lucky at least 13 times, haven't I? Stretches the credulity, doesn't it?

I've been crossing at the Nong Khai - Vientiane portal, and I've always avoided peak traffic times. Perhaps that's the difference.

Still, a lot less trouble that our pioneering OP went through! rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20>

Perhaps I wrote this OP for others that may be interested in obtaining a Lao visa while they are in Bangkok. Perhaps they may be new to Bangkok and will find some of this info useful. Perhaps they will find the information in the links to be of some use. (I'll leave it to you to try and figure out for yourself what links are.) Perhaps they are not such all-knowing experts on everything as yourself. But of course,I'm positive that you will never learn anything from anybody. So breeze right on by and continue being such a legend in your own mind! rolleyes.gif

I will put this out for informational purposes. There is absolutely no need for any reason to get a visa ahead of time for Laos if you cross it any major border. Even if the wait at the border is the outlandish 45 minutes somebody mentioned it is still less time than the taxi took to the embassy in BKK.

This is fine, unless you want to take the International bus which stipulates that a Laos visa is required in advance as the bus does not stop at the border to allow passengers to get a visa there.

• Like 1

Unlike most, would have to say thanks for the info........

I have been 2x to Vientiane, only 1x was I able to find US $, trying many Banks near where I live......... My big problems is the time it takes to get over the borders and the bus over the bridge with 100 + people in a 40 seat bus........

Yes have seen the VIP Bus BKK to Vientiane + MUST have Visa as bus will not wait, and others that report the Bus went without them.... to me to spend 1/2 a day in BKK to get the Laos Visa, = same bus same amount of people all the way to Vientiane, I may well think about going to Vientiane again...

Been using Savannakhet for past couple of years or so...

So many thanks......... as had always understood had to make 2x trips to BKK to Laos Embassy

• Like 1

Thanks Baloo, appreciate your taking the time to set out the details.

Although I have usually got a visa at the border I also want to take the international bus from Khon Kaen shortly and therefore need a visa in advance.

Sadly there are stunningly dumb people who do not understand that different people have different circumstances and different needs.

• Like 2

Why don't you just get it at the border as you cross into Laos? Less cost (no "express service" needed--everyone gets it immediately), and takes only 5-10 minutes. At least that's what I did the last 13 times to Laos. Is it possible you're from a country at war with the LPDR? Maybe that accounts for your convoluted process? xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.s-RG4kPbeM.webp alt=blink.png width=20 height=20>

Perhaps I wrote this OP for others that may be interested in obtaining a Lao visa while they are in Bangkok. Perhaps they may be new to Bangkok and will find some of this info useful. Perhaps they will find the information in the links to be of some use. (I'll leave it to you to try and figure out for yourself what links are.) Perhaps they are not such all-knowing experts on everything as yourself. But of course,I'm positive that you will never learn anything from anybody. So breeze right on by and continue being such a legend in your own mind! rolleyes.gif

I will put this out for informational purposes. There is absolutely no need for any reason to get a visa ahead of time for Laos if you cross it any major border. Even if the wait at the border is the outlandish 45 minutes somebody mentioned it is still less time than the taxi took to the embassy in BKK.

This is fine, unless you want to take the International bus which stipulates that a Laos visa is required in advance as the bus does not stop at the border to allow passengers to get a visa there.

It would have helped if the OP had put that in his initial post. Without that, the implication to newbies is that you have to get a Lao visa in BKK in order to cross the border. To imply so is a gross misrepresentation of the options for crossing over into Laos.

I think the concern that most of us have is for accurate and complete information on visa options for border crossings into neighboring countries. The opening post sounded more like a self-indulgent travelogue parading the OP's clever intelligence in negotiating the ins and outs of visa procurement in a big city. Whatever the motivation, it inadvertently sent the wrong message to those who genuinely need to know the options on Thai Visa dot com. Misinformation or skewed information about visas should be anathema on this forum.

Is this laos visa form that the OP linked the same as the one you obtain at the border? Thinking of printing it out and completing it before I head up to the border if so. Finding and filling forms in at 7am surrounded by touts is never much fun

Right, flying into LP I once had to stand in line 30 minutes for VOA, but that's because the dude who had to sign off was at lunch. Other times over the bridge, never waited more than 10 minutes. Dare I add while in country you can extend your visa three times (if I recall correctly) with about zero hassle, cost two US bucks a day, last I checked. [but lunch sounds nice.]

No visa extensions allowed anymore - after the 30 days you need to leave the country. Sort of sounds familiar.... rolleyes.gif

Too bad. Was only about a year ago (or was it 1.5) I extended twice. Walk down to the little dusty office in LP, disturb their (perpetual) lunch, come back the next day, pay them and pickup passport. Good for another 30 days. Hung around for three months.

• Like 1

Some of you guys are just miserable, know all a--holes. Some people that read TV are not so well versed in all facets of thainess and life. That information may have helped some one and was passed on with good intenetions. Didnt your mothers ever tell you that " If you have nothing decent to say then don't say nothing at all". Mind you if some of you lived by that rule you could never post on TV due to your totally negative attitude to everything. Have a great day if you can see it through your miserable thoughts.

So when did your mother ever tell you to shut up? You have added nothing useful to say.

Right, flying into LP I once had to stand in line 30 minutes for VOA, but that's because the dude who had to sign off was at lunch. Other times over the bridge, never waited more than 10 minutes. Dare I add while in country you can extend your visa three times (if I recall correctly) with about zero hassle, cost two US bucks a day, last I checked. [but lunch sounds nice.]

No visa extensions allowed anymore - after the 30 days you need to leave the country. Sort of sounds familiar.... rolleyes.gif

As far as I know extensions are still available at $2 a day. Do you have a source saying otherwise? And yes, if you want to take the international bus from KK you need a visa. Those that know this already have planned for it and comprises less than 1% of all travelers going to Laos

• 2 months later...

dont go there they dont give a s..t about people.

they are supposed to close for lunch at 12 but i went there at 1140 and they were gone already.the security guy laughed at me l got angry(my fault) and told him <deleted> off and left.

there is a time,why they cant respect the time.

so for this time i am not giving to lao republic any money,but will go to malaysia instead

Is this laos visa form that the OP linked the same as the one you obtain at the border? Thinking of printing it out and completing it before I head up to the border if so. Finding and filling forms in at 7am surrounded by touts is never much fun

There are no touts at the spot where you must fill out the forms and submit them for the visa. At that spot you have not actually crossed passport control yet... so no touts. Anyway, if anyone cannot deal with Lao "touts", they need to go back to nursery school and start over again. Jeezz.... I thought you guys were tough.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Christ. Lucky that Thailand lets us stay at all.

No sh-t. Just returned from extension run / Chiang Mai immigration. If I was behind the counter I'd probably tell about 50% of those applicants to hit the road and don't come back, jack. Like, dude, really? Flip-flops, grimy old camo-print cargo shorts, stained knock-off T-shirt, dirty hair and scraggly 4-day beard? That the way you would walk into a federal office back in the US?

Just to note that there is a Lao Consulate in Khon Kaen but as it has recently moved to east of Bung Kanakhorn, I presume. (Actually 19/1-3 Phothisarn Road which is the road that goes east from the 7-11 at the NE part of the lake)

You may need visa to Laos in your passport.Some of you look on it from your personal experience,which is:visa runs.

Most people never heard about visa runs to Laos or elsewhere;however they travel a lot.

You will need Lao visa if you want to board flight to Vientian or Luang Prabang on one way ticket.

They will force you to buy ticket at the airport or you will not fly - very expensive exercise!

Most people go to Laos for pleasure of travel and they continue their travel overland to:China,Thailand,Vietnam,Cambo or Burma.

Why don't you just get it at the border as you cross into Laos? Less cost (no "express service" needed--everyone gets it immediately), and takes only 5-10 minutes. At least that's what I did the last 13 times to Laos. Is it possible you're from a country at war with the LPDR? Maybe that accounts for your convoluted process? blink.png

Good. God. Man. Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? The OP makes an informative, well-written, concise post - and the first thing you do is have a bash at him, for "much ado about nothing"? Have you ever considered that perhaps, someone else, who is perhaps not yourself, may find this information of interest?

Since you are so worldy (having been to Laos 13 times), you must be aware that there are some ports of entry into the Lao PDR where visa on arrival is not available. It might astonish you to know that some people may actually find it necessary or desirable to not take the same path that you like to take.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This kind of post is absolutely unnecessary. If you had posted how you do it without the snide remarks your comment would be well received.

Sorry, did not take into account the thin-skinned nature of some of our members. My apologies.

Sent from my tin can via string

• Like 1

As I live in Bangkok I usually get my visa for Laos exactly as described by the OP. If you take the International Bus to Vientiene from Udon Thani you have to have a Laos visa in advance.

But your bus still stops and waits for everyone else on the bus to get their visa-on-arrival. I don't see what the savings is in time or money.

The "international" bus from Udon doesn't. It's clearly stipulated that a Laos visa must be held prior to boarding the bus in Udon.

Is that new because I went to LP with my wife a year ago, first time I have ever gone via air (but hey, b300 ow). No one hassled me or her. Got my visa at the border same as the other seven times for usd35.

*Airport minivan

Just go up on the train <deleted>. Could not be easier, you csn even walk to the border from the station.

But good write up bro!.

I went to the Laos embassy in Bangkok yesterday with my German friend, (I am from the UK) for a tourist visa. Cost was 1400 baht for my German friend and 1600 baht for me because I am from a different country, not sure what that meant. However in addition to the completed form they also wanted a copy of the passport. Took one hour for us to get the visa.

You may need visa to Laos in your passport.Some of you look on it from your personal experience,which is:visa runs.

Most people never heard about visa runs to Laos or elsewhere;however they travel a lot.

You will need Lao visa if you want to board flight to Vientian or Luang Prabang on one way ticket.

They will force you to buy ticket at the airport or you will not fly - very expensive exercise!

Most people go to Laos for pleasure of travel and they continue their travel overland to:China,Thailand,Vietnam,Cambo or Burma.

I've flown to Laos on a one way ticket and no visa before. Sometimes I was questioned, sometimes I wasn't, in which case I would confirm I had a ticket (or another acceptable excuse like driving back to Thailand or catching a bus/train would be OK too). They generally aren't that harsh to force you to buy a ticket out but I agree it's best not to take the risk.

• 7 months later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

i see it as not negativity but a waste of time to get a visa at the embassy which entails a waste of half ur day and added expense (taxis, skytrain whatever) when u can get it on arrival,

Same with getting a visa for Cambodia at the Embassy in Bangkok

So newbies read thus an think, "oh, i need get my visa at the embassy"

Now, if this was about getting a Burmese visa that would be valid info

No not the same as getting a Cambodian visa: In my experience there can be significantly longer delays at Cambodian immigration - particularly entering overland at Poipet, than there generally are in Lao. Also Cambodia issues e visas which mean you don't use up a whole page of your passport with a visa stamp, which is an issue for those of us like Brits that cannot get extra pages stuck into our passports. For Lao sure in most cases VoA is the way to go, but in Cambodia the balance is finer.

• 6 months later...

I like to take the International bus. I am aware you have to have a visa to Laos in advance to ride this bus. My question is: Can I buy a bus ticket first before I apply for a Laos visa or should I be required to have a Laos visa first hand in order to buy a VIP bus ticket? In other words, will the ticket clerk ask for proof of Laos visa before selling me the ticket? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

As i drive into Laos in my own vehicle, having the tourist stamp done and dusted could be useful. I have on occasion had to wait for 30 minutes or so to get my stamped p/p back and that would be better spent just sorting out the car.

as said you can't guarantee there would be 2 or 3 coach-loads of tourists in front of you in the queue.

What WOULD be nice is a smaller stamp......anyone seen something like that?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2013-08-18 at 10:02 PM, Baloo22 said:

Love it mate... well said. 

And yes, your instructions were of assistance...

Friendship Bridge is the easier option and extremely quick.  Usually ten minutes max to receive your passport back.

My only caveat is to be careful and observant when the passports are handed back out of the booth window as it's quite a random affair.  I received the passport of an unknown in my hand and, fortunately, being an honest chap I made sure it was handed to the rightful owner.