AirAsia Returns to Servicing Khon Kaen in October 2013

Fookhaht

• post-108400-0-47361000-1376829922_thumb.

According to Isaan Bizweek (cover above), after an absence of several years, Air Asia will return to servicing Khon Kaen in just a couple months (October). While initially restoring the Khon Kaen-Bangkok route, they plan to provide a route to Chiang Mai and Phuket by the end of this year.

Khon Kaen Airport Authority plans to develop the KK airport into an international airport. They plan to open direct flights from Khon Kaen to China and Vietnam in 2015.

See the small article in Khon Kaen Gazette

http://www.khonkaengazette.com/news/79-local-news/1676-massive-upgrade-of-khon-kaen-airport

That said, KK airport is not under the wings of the AOT, but solely owned by the local council.

That could mean everything, positive or negative.

But it would be great to fly to Don Mueang.

Maybe just maybe, there would be an airline so enterprising as to start flying Khon Kaen to Utapao, and back of course.

Many travellers between those two places.

Edited by hansnl

it is destined to fail again.

PAX using budget airlines are price-conscious, and considering that you can reach KKC for a few hundert Baht in a comfortable and safe Bus (NCA, which is for sure the kingdoms best and most reliable transport business) in almost the same time, this has no future.

Air Asia is making huge strategic mistakes by holding on to the "one type of aircraft only" policy.

other ASEAN low-cost-carriers (NOK, Cebu Pacific, Lion/Wings) are VERY successful with their " one Jet, one Turboprop" policy.

they can offer schedules that are much more conevenient for their PAX, and a higher frequency.

DMK - KKC would be a perfect example where you could employ a turboprop rather than a Jet, that will in many cases have a low load-factor.

72 seats in an ATR 72 could easily be filled, and more than one frequency per day offered.

But maybe Datuk Tony Fernandez is too busy playing with his "adult toys" (QPR Team and his F1 team), so he can not assign time to overhaul his strategic concept

Edited by siam2007
  • Like 2

I have no desire to fly to DM - I'll stick to Thai.

totster smile.png

Does Thai fly direct from KK to Swampy now?

Quite a few years since I flew from KK to Bangkok and that was to DM.

I was assured that Thai had a courtesy bus between airports, but when I got to DM, seemed that the bus took you to some skytrain station.

No sign of the airport bus that was supposed to run between the 2 airports, I asked the staff and they said that there wasn't one.

Since then I have used the bus, as it is not a lot of difference in time and usually quicker because the bus schedule is more likely to fit in with your departure time.

I have no desire to fly to DM - I'll stick to Thai.

totster smile.png

Does Thai fly direct from KK to Swampy now?

Quite a few years since I flew from KK to Bangkok and that was to DM.

I was assured that Thai had a courtesy bus between airports, but when I got to DM, seemed that the bus took you to some skytrain station.

No sign of the airport bus that was supposed to run between the 2 airports, I asked the staff and they said that there wasn't one.

Since then I have used the bus, as it is not a lot of difference in time and usually quicker because the bus schedule is more likely to fit in with your departure time.

Thai flies to Swampy. They moved to DM for a while when Swampy was swamped with flights to ease it up, but moved back a long while ago.

totster :)

PAX using budget airlines are price-conscious, and considering that you can reach KKC for a few hundert Baht in a comfortable and safe Bus (NCA, which is for sure the kingdoms best and most reliable transport business) in almost the same time, this has no future.

Air Asia is making huge strategic mistakes by holding on to the "one type of aircraft only" policy.

other ASEAN low-cost-carriers (NOK, Cebu Pacific, Lion/Wings) are VERY successful with their " one Jet, one Turboprop" policy.

they can offer schedules that are much more conevenient for their PAX, and a higher frequency.

DMK - KKC would be a perfect example where you could employ a turboprop rather than a Jet, that will in many cases have a low load-factor.

72 seats in an ATR 72 could easily be filled, and more than one frequency per day offered.

But maybe Datuk Tony Fernandez is too busy playing with his "adult toys" (QPR Team and his F1 team), so he can not assign time to overhaul his strategic concept

Knowing the accident rate and seeing the way buses drive in Thailand I will always prefer air travel, maybe that company you're referring to has a better track record, but you'll only have a wait another week or 2 to see the next bus crash making headlines.

And what bus travels from bkk to kk in or around 45 mins?

I can not see that I said any Bus makes the journey in 45 minutes.but the journey from leaving your home to reaching your destination takes almost as long as a Bus ride. leaving for DMK airport means you have to assign a LOT of time due to expected traffic jams during rush hrs (last time three weeks ago at 7 in the morning it took me 1.5 hrs from Bangna to DMK in a Cab). then you have to be at the airport 90 minutes before departure to check in. So then 3 hrs already passed, before you actually take off. Lucky r u if ur flight is not delayed, due to "late arrival of the aircraft" (cause they almost always fail to beat their assigned turnaround period of just 25 Mins). okay touch down in KKC then we are at 4 hrs. you disembark, wait for your luggage, another 30 Minutes. take Cab or shuttle to your downtown destination, another 30 Minutes. so you spent 5 hrs overall. the Bus usually doesn't take longer than six hrs, and departs and arrives usually at Central downtown locations. But it cost 400-500 Baht, whereas the flight will most probably be around 1.800 - 2 K.

one hour saved, but quadruple the price. That is not something the average Somchai will do.

They have tried and failed in the past, after all. AirAsia failed, Orient Thai failed. Thai Airways can do, because they serve a different clientele - mostly government officials and the odd Farang married to an Isaan Babe.

And while I am not so eager to sit on longhaul-Buses either and as well prefer a flight if possible, I have to point out that indeed NCA has a fantastic safety record, second to none in the Kingdom.

• Like 2

Knowing the accident rate and seeing the way buses drive in Thailand I will always prefer air travel, maybe that company you're referring to has a better track record, but you'll only have a wait another week or 2 to see the next bus crash making headlines.

And what bus travels from bkk to kk in or around 45 mins?

I can not see that I said any Bus makes the journey in 45 minutes.but the journey from leaving your home to reaching your destination takes almost as long as a Bus ride. leaving for DMK airport means you have to assign a LOT of time due to expected traffic jams during rush hrs (last time three weeks ago at 7 in the morning it took me 1.5 hrs from Bangna to DMK in a Cab). then you have to be at the airport 90 minutes before departure to check in. So then 3 hrs already passed, before you actually take off. Lucky r u if ur flight is not delayed, due to "late arrival of the aircraft" (cause they almost always fail to beat their assigned turnaround period of just 25 Mins). okay touch down in KKC then we are at 4 hrs. you disembark, wait for your luggage, another 30 Minutes. take Cab or shuttle to your downtown destination, another 30 Minutes. so you spent 5 hrs overall. the Bus usually doesn't take longer than six hrs, and departs and arrives usually at Central downtown locations. But it cost 400-500 Baht, whereas the flight will most probably be around 1.800 - 2 K.

one hour saved, but quadruple the price. That is not something the average Somchai will do.

They have tried and failed in the past, after all. AirAsia failed, Orient Thai failed. Thai Airways can do, because they serve a different clientele - mostly government officials and the odd Farang married to an Isaan Babe.

And while I am not so eager to sit on longhaul-Buses either and as well prefer a flight if possible, I have to point out that indeed NCA has a fantastic safety record, second to none in the Kingdom.

I don't see that Bang Na to Mo Chit would be that much different from Bang Na to DM especially if the bus has to head out in the same traffic past and beyond DM anyway.

If you turn up 90 mins before a domestic flight I'd say that's unusual and unnecessary, I always show up 30-40 mins ahead (same as for NCA) especially for KK flights, no passport control and never had a problem. I generally save at least 4 hours per journey to/from Phrong Phong.

I'd also dispute your claim that the bus doesn't often take longer than 6 hours, you obviously never head out on a Friday afternoon/evening, when it will easily take 7-8 hours.

Judging by the Udon Thani fares, I expect to KK they will be lower than the price range you indicate (with current offers 2 to 3 times the bus) and online booking is way easier than for NCA.

I'd disagree with your pessimistic outlook and think judging by the traffic on the Thai flights I've been on recently there is good business to be had. I've been hoping this would happen and will definitely be a regular customer, and even more so if they offer a KK to Phuket flight.

One reason I really hate taking the bus (apart from the time) is the often unbearable stink of urine from the toilet by the time you get to KK.

Edited by b19bry

If they could put a turboprop on the Ubon to Khon Kaen to Chang Mai route they might make money out of that (maybe even with their 737s) as it would attract premium prices, given the cost of flying via Bangkok and the length of the bus journey alternatives. I don't know why airlines are so fixated with these one leg only routes.

The competition is good news. I have just booked flights from Bangkok on Friday night returning on Sunday. TG have charged me 6,800 Baht!

That seems a bit high, what ticket type ?

totster smile.png

Edit, just checked the website and there are none of the 'cheap' tickets left (not surprising being the weekend and little notice), hence the high price. Even so this comes out at 5,480.00 on the website which is less than you claim to have paid.

totster :)

Edited by Totster

Good news anyway. Competition is necessary!

I do not care about DMK oder Suvarnabhumi as I am staying in the country mostly and want to visit friends etc.

Be it in Bangkok or in Pattaya.

AirAsia is not a good choice with heavy baggage anyway.

If the flights would be 1800 to 2000 oneway, this would not make much sense, as you could fly with TG for about 2500.

So price will be important.

For 1000 Baht oneway I would surely favor to fly instead of using the bus.

Even an excursion to Mafia island could become affordable biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

• 2 weeks later...

Hey stoneyboy if you do decide to make the move let me know, have a nice house for sale. 4 flights a day with Thai and a lot of times they are full so I would welcome Air Asia. Just booked 3 return flights with Thai using my air miles and they charged me THB1,660 per person for the tax. I agree with other posters that prices are all over the place, have managed in the past to get THB 1,700 one way with Thai but in general it is around 2,500. Flew Air Asia several times to Penang from Bangkok and always on time with no hassle, cannot say the same for Thai, so again would like to see some competition.

Propellers or jet, the price and availability is what counts.

Bluedog is correct, the flights to KK is normally full.

It's been a cash-cow too long for greedy Thai Airways. Kudos for competition! Watch Thai's rates start to drop to more rational levels (as they did last go-around when they had competition at KK).

I thought they had shut the Ubon to CM route Ubonrthai and that the direct Phuket route was also under threat. My posting was not relevant to the Ubon to Phuket route (unless both routes are still operating and they are using the same plane on alternate days)

Whatever, an Ubon to KK to CM route would be much more likely to be a long term survivor in the interests us all us eastern and central Isaanites. I would be happy to go to Phuket with a flight that stopped to pick up in KK in the interests of a successful stable route. Both of these cities need to establish themselves as major Thai centres - Thailand is way too Bangkok centric.

No doubt that if the aviation geeks on ThaiV were to get hold of my post they would rip it apart with some well-understood industry-wide reason why multi-stop routes don't work well economically or operationally.

About 13-14 years ago there was flights from Ubon-Udon-Chiang Mai-Khon Khaen-Ubon.

Didn't last long, though. Plane lost it's airworthiness certificate. Think the company was called

OrientAir, maybe a forerunner of Orient Thai.

Was a useful flight, but not very full.

About 13-14 years ago there was flights from Ubon-Udon-Chiang Mai-Khon Khaen-Ubon.

Didn't last long, though. Plane lost it's airworthiness certificate. Think the company was called

OrientAir, maybe a forerunner of Orient Thai.

Was a useful flight, but not very full.

Orient Thai were the owners of One-Two-Go hardly the most airworthy carrier ?

It's been a cash-cow too long for greedy Thai Airways. Kudos for competition! Watch Thai's rates start to drop to more rational levels (as they did last go-around when they had competition at KK).

AirAsia booked out for almost the whole of October already !

Related to the return of Air Asia to Khon Kaen is this report from the local Gazette

"Responding to the challenge (of Air Asia) Thai Airways is offering low-cost flights at only 1,250 baht from Khon Kaen to Bangkok."

"Thai Airways is planning to provide five Khon Kaen-Bangkok flights per day to sustain the increasing number of visitors (there are currently four flights per day)"

So it looks like we are going to have 7 flights per day Bangkok/Khon Kaen/Bangkok

AirAsia booked out for almost the whole of October already !

Bit difficult to be booked out already as it does not start until Oct 28th