11-year-old artist who funds his education with sketches becomes viral sensation

webfact

11-year-old artist who funds his education with sketches becomes viral sensation
By Coconuts Bangkok

1173868_407677462667286_737962256_n.jpg?

CHACHOENGSAO: -- A young artist in Chachoengsao is putting his drawing skills to good use by selling his elegant Khon sketches to raise money for his education.

The boy, who is known only by his first name of Prakasit, has gained massive support online after a photo of him went viral.

The image shows Prakasit sitting on the ground in front of a small table, with a yellow sign that reads, “I draw for my education. Eleven years old. Sixth grade.”

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/08/19/11-year-old-artist-who-funds-his-education-sketches-becomes-viral-sensation

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-08-19

• Like 2

Old and cynical I may be - OK, I am.

But the precision and detail in the Drawings behind the child jar terribly with the crude lettering on the sign in front.

Surely anyone who could Draw those pictures would be able to produce a far better Advertisement?

Patrick

• Like 1

But the precision and detail in the Drawings behind the child jar terribly with the crude lettering on the sign in front.

Surely anyone who could Draw those pictures would be able to produce a far better Advertisement?

Patrick

Any evidence that the boy wrote the sign.

If his mother / father / respected friend wrote the sign he would probably use it without further thought.

• Like 1

Why is it necessary for him to sell drawings on the street for his education? Does he go to a private school and his parents require him to pay for it? It is great he is working at 11 years of age and his guardians are violating the child labor laws.

The majority of replies to this thread highlight my reasoning for not returning to this forum.

This is an 11 year old, who is obviously great at what he does. Whether the money goes directly to his education, pays for stationary, a desk, a computer, whatever, it doesn't matter. Just give him some praise you cynical, jaded lot.

What if the cash goes nowhere near a school, but straight into the pockets of drunken, gambling parents? Or if or when an 'agent' turns up in his village. That's not in the least bit cynical or jaded.

Edited by Card
  • Like 1

Why is it necessary for him to sell drawings on the street for his education? Does he go to a private school and his parents require him to pay for it? It is great he is working at 11 years of age and his guardians are violating the child labor laws.

I guess you have never been to Thailand as you obviously know nothing about how the people live here.

• Like 2

I guess you have never been to Thailand as you obviously know nothing about how the people live here.

Explain yourself. Are you saying most children have to sell things on the street in order to attend to school?

Patrick

If his mother / father / respected friend wrote the sign he would probably use it without further thought.

Who said he can write?

Explain yourself. Are you saying most children have to sell things on the street in order to attend to school?

If you had ever been here you would know that the daily rate of pay is 300 baht or about $10 so now do you still want it explaining why some children have to work to pay for the things we take for granted in the western world.

If you had ever been here you would know that the daily rate of pay is 300 baht or about $10 so now do you still want it explaining why some children have to work to pay for the things we take for granted in the western world.

Education is free for an 11 year old in Thailand. Explain what the daily wage has to do with this.

• Like 1

Patrick

Any evidence that the sketches are made by the boy?

• Like 1

Maybe I can get the kid to do a tattoo for me?

Maybe one for my wife? I think she wants a butterfly surrounding one of her nipples.

You must be a real intellectual with a PhD in brainless studies.

Brainless, but not painless. . . Uunh.

Really no use postulating endless variations of what could it all mean. Good FB is good FB. Anyway like in other countries, there are schools and schools.

You want your kid to go to a better school, you pay for it. I do.

If my kid could help out one day, I'd be very happy, if they'd want to.

There aren't enough entrepreneurs here.

its a really good story. Good on him. .

The majority of replies to this thread highlight my reasoning for not returning to this forum.

This is an 11 year old, who is obviously great at what he does. Whether the money goes directly to his education, pays for stationary, a desk, a computer, whatever, it doesn't matter. Just give him some praise you cynical, jaded lot.

What if the cash goes nowhere near a school, but straight into the pockets of drunken, gambling parents? Or if or when an 'agent' turns up in his village. That's not in the least bit cynical or jaded.

One can hope. Maybe parents will stick their kids in art classes instead of telling them to sell their bodies in the bars. Then they can gamble away the proceeds. Or dare I say it? Maybe go to school like he said.

Patrick

Who said he can write?

Did you write that your self. Well done

There is no free school in Thailand. There is "term fees" and lots of other charges (school vans cost between 300 and 1000 b per month). Then the schools try to get parents to contribute for repairs, new equipment, etc. Most schools have uniforms, which are not supplied free. So this enterprising young man is helping his parents to cover costs. Admirable, to say the least and he is far and above many kids I've seen in other countries for laying his work ethic foundation.

• Like 2

Education is free for an 11 year old in Thailand. Explain what the daily wage has to do with this.

Do you really need everything explained. Education is probably free in your country as well but good parents who have spare money still give their children money for extras that the school don't pay for. If you need anything else explained go and spend some time with a poor Thai family. Maybe you will understand then.

Thanks for taking a nice, feel-good story and pissing on it.

I've visited Thailand many times for the past thirty-plus years and have been living here for several years ... and I don't automatically assume the worse about every positive thing I see or read about Thais and Thailand. And I still don't understand why the cynic crowd on TV constantly trashes Thailand as a terrible place ... yet continue to live here. What a dark and morbid bunch you are.

• Like 2