11-year-old artist who funds his education with sketches becomes viral sensation

webfact

Good for him, I hope he gets enough money for a great education and goes far ! I get so fed up of seeing Burmese / Cambodians, and I am sure Thais too sitting on footbridges with their kids begging for money, it is nice to see someone actually trying to do something to raise money rather than just begging for it. If you are playing a good tune or drawing good art for example I will contribute...

If there was more information on exactly were he sets up shop and what he sells his art work for I would love to buy some.

Not as an investment looking for the next Thai Rembrandt but to support a talented young artist in pursuing a dream.

The majority of replies to this thread highlight my reasoning for not returning to this forum.

This is an 11 year old, who is obviously great at what he does. Whether the money goes directly to his education, pays for stationary, a desk, a computer, whatever, it doesn't matter. Just give him some praise you cynical, jaded lot.

What if the cash goes nowhere near a school, but straight into the pockets of drunken, gambling parents? Or if or when an 'agent' turns up in his village. That's not in the least bit cynical or jaded.

Unless I misunderstand, you are suggesting that it is likely that his parents are either habitual drunks and gamblers, or else the type that would turn their own child over to an "agent" with some dastardly purpose in mind. With little more than the young mans nationality to go on. I am genuinely interested to know what you would consider "cynical or jaded". blink.png

• Like 1

If you had ever been here you would know that the daily rate of pay is 300 baht or about $10 so now do you still want it explaining why some children have to work to pay for the things we take for granted in the western world.

Education is free for an 11 year old in Thailand. Explain what the daily wage has to do with this.

Do you really need everything explained. Education is probably free in your country as well but good parents who have spare money still give their children money for extras that the school don't pay for. If you need anything else explained go and spend some time with a poor Thai family. Maybe you will understand then.

I need things you say explained to me because they don't represent the reality of what is happening in Thailand and I would like to know how well you will justify your false statements. You say essentially that child labor in thailand is acceptable and common because an 11 year old needs a pencil and pape for school. School age children are not engaging in street labor all over thailand to buy school supplies. Thai parents try to be "good parents" as well and try to pay for these little extras at school without requiring a child to work.

cleardot.gif

Check out the Facebook page , its 8 months old now, you can see some of the things he does , basically just a kid....

if anyone finds him , please PM me how much an original drawing is, not a photocopy :)

If you are around the area I might want you to buy me a couple ....

Thanks

BK

Why is it necessary for him to sell drawings on the street for his education? Does he go to a private school and his parents require him to pay for it? It is great he is working at 11 years of age and his guardians are violating the child labor laws.

Thanks for taking a nice, feel-good story and pissing on it.

I think it is great that he is talented. But working in the streets to pay for school at age 11? Isn't the applauding of a behavior in Thailand that would not be tolerated in the west patroninzing? Do you believe it is not possible for Thais to meet western standards of child care and so therefore accept this behavior or do you feel that all 11 year olds should work regardless of citizenship?

I did odd jobs during school break when I was 10 and had a well paid summer job at 14. It's always been my choice to work and it taught me many precious life skills...and a few girlfriends. This has nothing to do with child labour and exploitation. It makes children realize what their potentials are, build up confidence and important skills for the future.

I admire kids like that. I know a lot of kids and it's really frustrating when they tell me all they do in their free time is watching TV and sleep.

As a child I worked on the family farm without pay. i enjoyed the work most of the time. I didn't then or now consider myself a victim of child labor exploiation. I admire kids that work of their own free will to improve either their own or their family's life

• Like 1

Check out the Facebook page , its 8 months old now, you can see some of the things he does , basically just a kid....

if anyone finds him , please PM me how much an original drawing is, not a photocopy smile.png

If you are around the area I might want you to buy me a couple ....

Thanks

BK

I read from somewhere quite a while ago that his mother takes him to Wat Sanamrattanaram, A temple in Chachoensao every weekend to do the drawing shows to help raise funds for a new hospital

which is a project of the head monk.You can contact the temple directly as he gives all his original works to the temple.He also does the shows in Bangkok at Street Market (sports Authority of Thailand) Huamak ,Bangkapi too.

Hope this helps

Might have to visit this guy, and take him in for a proper education.

He just might be the first Thai REMBRAND or van GOGH

When the boy and his mother were on TV programmes a couple months back,She said she can't afford to pay his private art tuition fee.

If you can help, they will be more than happy.He is now in Mattayom 1 at Protpittayapayat School ,Lat Krabang, Bangkok.Just pop in and ask

to see Prakasit Chumboonta.

• 5 weeks later...

Explain yourself. Are you saying most children have to sell things on the street in order to attend to school?

If you had ever been here you would know that the daily rate of pay is 300 baht or about $10 so now do you still want it explaining why some children have to work to pay for the things we take for granted in the western world.

Education is free for an 11 year old in Thailand. Explain what the daily wage has to do with this.

i happen to have an 11 yrs old...

while school is theoretically free for him, in real life it is rather far from that!!

as for drawing, and selling it, if he can, why not?

some of my son's classmates cut sugarcane in the school holiday, some play video games...

as long as the kid isnt forced to do what he does, and has benefits for himself, in the form of better stationary, or more pocket money, or whatever, let he do it!

this is Thailand, and 11 yrs olds often expected to contribute...the kids regularly have to clean the schoolyard for example...child labor?

in the west, maybe, here? a day's routine. wai2.gif

• Like 1

Explain yourself. Are you saying most children have to sell things on the street in order to attend to school?

i happen to have an 11 yrs old...

while school is theoretically free for him, in real life it is rather far from that!!

as for drawing, and selling it, if he can, why not?

some of my son's classmates cut sugarcane in the school holiday, some play video games...

as long as the kid isnt forced to do what he does, and has benefits for himself, in the form of better stationary, or more pocket money, or whatever, let he do it!

this is Thailand, and 11 yrs olds often expected to contribute...the kids regularly have to clean the schoolyard for example...child labor?

in the west, maybe, here? a day's routine. wai2.gif

I agree, nothing is wrong it if he is not forced to work and he keeps the benefits. The problem is the OP indicates that he sells art to pay for school. It does not say what school. Is he attending private school and has to earn money for tuition? Much pressure for a 6th grader.

• 3 weeks later...

Old and cynical I may be - OK, I am.

But the precision and detail in the Drawings behind the child jar terribly with the crude lettering on the sign in front.

Surely anyone who could Draw those pictures would be able to produce a far better Advertisement?

Patrick

What's wrong with his handwriting? It just looks weathered to me, actually it looks pretty neat