German expat mugged by Phuket teen gang

webfact

I must have lost count of the English language news sources in Pattaya, but it is a multiple of three, I would think written press and radio/tv together about 10?

Why I would need a geography lesson ?

How many of those news sources are published here on Thaivisa? And the geography lesson would be that: Phuket is a province, Pattaya is a city in the province of Chon Buri...

Well that was a good try.

Pattaya one, pattaya mail, pattaya people, Pattaya daily, 103 fm...............I need to go on ?

We all know that 99% of the crimes reported on the Phuket forum concerning foreigners, happen in the tourist area which is only a very small part of the Phuket province.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must have lost count of the English language news sources in Pattaya, but it is a multiple of three, I would think written press and radio/tv together about 10?

How many of those news sources are published here on Thaivisa? And the geography lesson would be that: Phuket is a province, Pattaya is a city in the province of Chon Buri...

Pattaya one, pattaya mail, pattaya people, Pattaya daily, 103 fm...............I need to go on ?

We all know that 99% of the crimes reported on the Phuket forum concerning foreigners, happen in the tourist area which is only a very small part of the Phuket province.

Obviously, the stats would have to be on a per-capita basis, but I would not be surprised if Phuket has overtaken Pattaya as being a higher risk for becoming a victim of crime, per-capita.

Edited by NamKangMan

Actually this type of crime seems to increase about this time of the year around Rawai. Yet we still don't have any police patrols at night. My neighbor is out there right now patrolling as one of the heads of the civil defense volunteers in Rawai. The Chalong Police showed up today to collect fines on Soi Sai Yuan this afternoon, but they really can't be bothered to do their real jobs and deter crime at night. It doesn't pay nearly as well and it's a lot more dangerous to deal with the punk kids around here... So much for the clean up Phuket rhetoric I've been reading in some of the local news this month...

This is why Phuket has the crime problem it has now. Phuket was always going to get to this point, eventually, well, it appears it's there now.

We have had a disfunctional police force for many years that has seen collecting tea money and money from traffic tickets and bribes as more important than having an active presence to deter crime, especially at night. That, coupled with the fact anyone can get never ending bail, even for serious crimes, if you pay, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of justice taking place on Phuket. There certainly doesn't seem to be the locking up of criminals for the protection of the public.

Had this German guy been murdered, and that's hard to prove when you are kicked off your motorbike, because the assailants ride off and your injuries can be attributed to a motorbike accident, not kicked to the head or hit on the head or body with a heavy blunt instrument.

So, they see they have killed the guy, just take the cash and leave jewellery and phone and it looks like the cause of death is a motorbike accident. Just as much a perfect murder as throwing someone off a balcony. Sure, the BIB are happy to write it off as motorbike accident as well.

The police seem to work hard when a tourist has obviously been murdered, mainly because of the global bad publicity and the "tarnishing of Phuket's image" but wouldn't a little more prevention be better than the cure, not to mention, it would save a few lives and serious trauma.

Corruption is like cancer. It spreads and ultimately kills, one way or another.

Unfortunately, we only have to look at the whole system here to see how it was destined to fail for the people, particularly, police paying money to be transfered here. Just a ridiculous situation.

I really do wonder how bad they will allow it to get before they admit that real and effective change must be implemented, or risk major losses from the tourism sector.

We can all only hope that crime does not get that out of control here that our lifestyles are affected. Anyone member mentioned his friends do not go out at night anymore. I will leave the island before I become a prisoner in my own home due to criminal behaviour here.

I really hope it never comes to that, but corruption is so ystematic, entrenched and endemic here that I can not see any positive change in the future.

We agree again! Amazing! I rarely go out at night, if I do I drive my truck. I still never have any problems, I'm pretty well know here. But we are headed back to California for the next 9 months. Finally got the visa and it's great to have options! I don't have to stay here, especially in "high season"!

Great, I only see reports on here from Pattaya One. And as for your other comment I will agree. So instead of posting Pattaya versus Phuket, you should be posting Pattaya versus Patong. Right?

Actually this type of crime seems to increase about this time of the year around Rawai. Yet we still don't have any police patrols at night. My neighbor is out there right now patrolling as one of the heads of the civil defense volunteers in Rawai. The Chalong Police showed up today to collect fines on Soi Sai Yuan this afternoon, but they really can't be bothered to do their real jobs and deter crime at night. It doesn't pay nearly as well and it's a lot more dangerous to deal with the punk kids around here... So much for the clean up Phuket rhetoric I've been reading in some of the local news this month...

This is why Phuket has the crime problem it has now. Phuket was always going to get to this point, eventually, well, it appears it's there now.

We have had a disfunctional police force for many years that has seen collecting tea money and money from traffic tickets and bribes as more important than having an active presence to deter crime, especially at night. That, coupled with the fact anyone can get never ending bail, even for serious crimes, if you pay, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of justice taking place on Phuket. There certainly doesn't seem to be the locking up of criminals for the protection of the public.

Had this German guy been murdered, and that's hard to prove when you are kicked off your motorbike, because the assailants ride off and your injuries can be attributed to a motorbike accident, not kicked to the head or hit on the head or body with a heavy blunt instrument.

So, they see they have killed the guy, just take the cash and leave jewellery and phone and it looks like the cause of death is a motorbike accident. Just as much a perfect murder as throwing someone off a balcony. Sure, the BIB are happy to write it off as motorbike accident as well.

The police seem to work hard when a tourist has obviously been murdered, mainly because of the global bad publicity and the "tarnishing of Phuket's image" but wouldn't a little more prevention be better than the cure, not to mention, it would save a few lives and serious trauma.

Corruption is like cancer. It spreads and ultimately kills, one way or another.

Unfortunately, we only have to look at the whole system here to see how it was destined to fail for the people, particularly, police paying money to be transfered here. Just a ridiculous situation.

I really do wonder how bad they will allow it to get before they admit that real and effective change must be implemented, or risk major losses from the tourism sector.

We can all only hope that crime does not get that out of control here that our lifestyles are affected. Anyone member mentioned his friends do not go out at night anymore. I will leave the island before I become a prisoner in my own home due to criminal behaviour here.

I really hope it never comes to that, but corruption is so ystematic, entrenched and endemic here that I can not see any positive change in the future.

We agree again! Amazing! I rarely go out at night, if I do I drive my truck. I still never have any problems, I'm pretty well know here. But we are headed back to California for the next 9 months. Finally got the visa and it's great to have options! I don't have to stay here, especially in "high season"!

Yes, the "greed factor" does increase during the high season, making it an even more unfriendly place to be. I arrange to do a slightly more lengthy visa run during high season, which is a nice break, but always happy to be back, and even happier when high season finishes.

Edited by NamKangMan

Great, I only see reports on here from Pattaya One. And as for your other comment I will agree. So instead of posting Pattaya versus Phuket, you should be posting Pattaya versus Patong. Right?

That's an interesting point Jimi, but as Bangla Road is Phuket's biggest tourist attraction, the majority of tourists come into Patong to see it, and maybe party for the night. Then, later in the night, there are the usual arguments with tuk-tuk drivers, pickpocketing ladyboys, overzealous Thai security looking to beat up a foreigner, arguments over the amounts of drinks on the bill etc etc.

Then, many tourists and expats will ride home and crash, or have a problem with the teenage gangs.

In Pattaya, you don't have to go to Wlking Street for "adult entertainment" as it's all over Pattaya and just outside the majority of hotels, but on Phuket, you have to get to Patong for serious nightlife and a good vafriety of eateries. The travel is the main risk, either on your rental scooter or with a tuk-tuk driver.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Obviously, the stats would have to be on a per-capita basis, but I would not be surprised if Phuket has overtaken Pattaya as being a higher risk for becoming a victim of crime, per-capita.

Please come up with these per capita numbers (quote a reliable news source) instead of just your usual inference. According to recent article even the head of the Royal Thai Police has stated that Phuket's population is much higher than the official count. But then again are we talking Chon Buri verus Phuket or Patong versus Pattaya?

I think you didn't take a good look, because if you only had taken a look at the topics posted on the first page of the Pattaya news clippings forum you would have noticed all news sources I mentioned.

And no we don't compare Pattaya with Patong because when there is a news article about Pattaya it can concern Pattaya,Jomtien,Phratumnak, Naklua, Nongprue,Nongplalai,Huayai and even Sattahip or Bang sare, which is all together again a multiple in size compared with the area where the tourist assaults reported on the Phuket forum happen.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

its phouket

said hyacint

Edited by jeanpierre

Yes, the "greed factor" does increase during the high season, making it an even more unfriendly place to be. I arrange to do a slightly more lengthy visa run during high season, which is a nice break, but always happy to be back, and even happy when high season finishes.

I disagree. There's more money sloshing around during the high season and easier for the wannabee thugs to obtain baht by less violent means.

But, in the low season, more of the little bar stewards are out of a job and those that don't go back to the rice fields resort to kicking old men off bikes and threatening them with machetes.

• Like 1

its phouket

said hyacint

LOL! Brilliant! cheesy.gifclap2.gifcoffee1.gifbah.gifblink.png

Yes, the "greed factor" does increase during the high season, making it an even more unfriendly place to be. I arrange to do a slightly more lengthy visa run during high season, which is a nice break, but always happy to be back, and even happy when high season finishes.

I disagree. There's more money sloshing around during the high season and easier for the wannabee thugs to obtain baht by less violent means.

But, in the low season, more of the little bar stewards are out of a job and those that don't go back to the rice fields resort to kicking old men off bikes and threatening them with machetes.

I used to think like that, but with the changing demographic of tourists here, I think we will see a leveling out of the seasons.

In other words, there has been a lot less "money sloshing around" last high season and probably less and less with each high season to follow.

"Money go down - put price up" will be the instant fix for businesses.

As for the criminals, yes, they will have to do more crime to pay for their addictions.

I think you didn't take a good look, because if you only had taken a look at the topics posted on the first page of the Pattaya news clippings forum you would have noticed all news sources I mentioned.

And no we don't compare Pattaya with Patong because when there is a news article about Pattaya it can concern Pattaya,Jomtien,Phratumnak, Naklua, Nongprue,Nongplalai,Huayai and even Sattahip or Bang sare, which is all together again a multiple in size compared with the area where the tourist assaults reported on the Phuket forum happen.

You're right. I really don't care enough to look at the Pattaya Forum and make comments on it. As an old lyric in an old song from an old band that I worked for stated: "i wouldn't live there if you paid me to!" Enjoy...

You're right. I really don't care enough to look at the Pattaya Forum and make comments on it. As an old lyric in an old song from an old band that I worked for stated: "i wouldn't live there if you paid me to!" Enjoy...

I have such an idea that you even haven't been to Pattaya ever, because your display of denial is bliss.

In Pattaya we haven't had the need yet for the DSI to make a permanent office here to clean up the place. And if I take a look at the tourist murders that have been reported on the Phuket forum in the past 12 months, you outdo Pattaya with glance.

Look at your own post a bit higher up on this page where you announce that you're happy you can escape your so much loved Phuket for the next 9 months.laugh.png

• Like 1

I have such an idea that you even haven't been to Pattaya ever, because your display of denial is bliss.

In Pattaya we haven't had the need yet for the DSI to make a permanent office here to clean up the place. And if I take a look at the tourist murders that have been reported on the Phuket forum in the past 12 months, you outdo Pattaya with glance.

Look at your own post a bit higher up on this page where you announce that you're happy you can escape your so much loved Phuket for the next 9 months.laugh.png

I could say the same about you and Phuket. I have a really nice place in California and my fiancee has a US visa. Thank you for your concern though! I'm touched!wub.png

And when have I ever come on the Pattaya local forum to put down Pattaya? I'm glad you're happy there. I've never had any real problem here either. No one bothers me... Best wishes to you and your life in what you seem to consider the best place in the world to live.

Edited by Jimi007

If the police were worried more aobut stopping crime than extorting money - then these teenagers could easily be apprehended.

As a side note,

"I think they go out looking for drunk old men to target." Perhaps drunk people should not be driving motorbyces, young or old, farang or thai.

How do you know he was drunk? He is the victim here!

Sounds like a gang of trouble makers who will likely do this a few more times until the police are persuaded to get involved and will be able to pick them up with minimal effort.

I wonder why Phuket, a place highly dependent on tourism and reputation, is so tolerant of home grown crime.......

Yet you find a Russian pointing to an ancient temple and they will snap handcuff on the raised wrist in an instant.

This is happening in Pattaya too....

Edited by jacko45k

@ Jimi007

"Please come up with these per capita numbers" - I don't have the numbers. I did say this: "I would not be surprised if Phuket has overtaken Pattaya as being a higher risk for becoming a victim of crime, per-capita."

This means, if REAL figures were released - I would not be surprised if Phuket has a higher crime rate, per-capita, than Pattaya. Something that would never have thought possible in the past.

Why don't expats arm themselves at night?

I carry pepper spray everywhere and would take down a group of these kids and it's totally legal.

Defense is the best form of offense.

Until one of them shoot you with the gun that they may well have not used if you had not pepper sprayed them.

Often quoted "Defence is the best form of offence." is fine if you are trained for it..otherwise its just more keyboard tough guy tough talk BS !!

Using common sense is by far the best defence.....coffee1.gif

He definitely does not look like the nicest one to have as neighbor, often something has happend before the main incident,

You reckon maybe if the sun wasn't casting a shadow down his face maybe he'd be a nicer neighbour? If the photographer clicked the shutter when his teeth were smiling?

That's an interesting point Jimi, but as Bangla Road is Phuket's biggest tourist attraction, the majority of tourists come into Patong to see it, and maybe party for the night. Then, later in the night, there are the usual arguments with tuk-tuk drivers, pickpocketing ladyboys, overzealous Thai security looking to beat up a foreigner, arguments over the amounts of drinks on the bill etc etc.

Then, many tourists and expats will ride home and crash, or have a problem with the teenage gangs.

In Pattaya, you don't have to go to Wlking Street for "adult entertainment" as it's all over Pattaya and just outside the majority of hotels, but on Phuket, you have to get to Patong for serious nightlife and a good vafriety of eateries. The travel is the main risk, either on your rental scooter or with a tuk-tuk driver.

It really is time you entured outside of Patong. You'll find in many places a great variety of eateries, normally much better value than the ones in Patong.

Another ex-pat gets mugged, not really new news, but it has happened many times around Nai Harn and Rawai. Some years ago a very good friend, Simon Knudsen, a man married to a local with a teenage son, was mugged and brutally stabbed and kicked so much, that he died 40 minutes later in hospital of massive internal bleeding. This recent scenario, seems rather similar to what happened to Simon, pushed off his motorbike by 3 or 4 muggers and stabbed multiple times with a large knife or machete. To date, to my knowledge, no one has ever been charged with his murder. Is it not time that these attacks are solved and the cowardly little a***holes locked up for a long time. I am sure the local police and or the local population have reasonable ideas who the perpetrators are.

• Like 1

Looks like time to get your Thai gf/wife to buy a gun and start playing far west if you are in Phuket.

Anyway, the guy was so drunk he can't even remember if he was beaten? How the hell do you drive like that? Maybe if taxis had a fair price he would have taken one and nothing would have happened

Literally I will let those tiny little thai Pricks shove all of their so called weapons on their own throat and mouth, I've done that when I was still in phuket, when these 2 guys stole my brand new helmet while I'm still on the bike, I grabbed the driver's neckline while they attempted to drive off! so they've been out of balance and crash on the ground so the other guy pulled out a brass knuckle and the driver pulled out double bladed knife (lucky for them they don't have a gun) to sum it all up I shove the brass knuckle on his mouth and I broke the arm of the guy with knife ( I didn't stick his knife to his throat co it might kill him) poor little thai pricks.. I've learned this self defence techniques and I used it against them so what we called "krav maga " its not about how big you are or small your are but you must always focus. So if you guys came out with these tiny little thai morons just hit them hard and hit them with all you got and run for help and its not cowardliness its about saving your life.

Why don't expats arm themselves at night?

I carry pepper spray everywhere and would take down a group of these kids and it's totally legal.

Defense is the best form of offense.

Until one of them shoot you with the gun that they may well have not used if you had not pepper sprayed them.

Often quoted "Defence is the best form of offence." is fine if you are trained for it..otherwise its just more keyboard tough guy tough talk BS !!

Using common sense is by far the best defence.....coffee1.gif

Late edit....anyway, i think we meant "Offence is the best form of defence" not as you first said [Defense is the best form of offense }and i followed up on..my bad!

The last sentence in my post tho' is the most relevant one.....