German expat mugged by Phuket teen gang

webfact

So he does not want to go to the police because that won't do any good but does decide to go to the papers?

Not sure I understand the point you are trying to make...

I am not sure the point he is trying to make. Unless he is just seeking attention.whistling.gif

I simply can't understand why somebody would not want to report this, so the police can try to stop this, but instead chooses to go to a newspaper, which will do nothing to stop this. Even if you think the police will do nothing about it, IMO this should still be reported.

The only one seeking attention here is the German expat.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riding a scooter/motorcycle alone after sunset and before sunrise is something to avoid in most places on the planet. Add in the age factor, a few drinks and you are setting yourself up to fail. Get a decent used car, share with a friend or just ride during daylight hours.

• Like 1

An excellent description of the perps from someone who can't recall whether he was beaten or not.

Here we go again.Lets try and pick holes in his storyand perhaps we will get the proper happenings.He fell off his bike because he was drunk and got a few scratches.It wasn\t until he got home that he missed his cigarettes.THERE-------- that was easy wasn't it?

Dougal the speechless [almost] Kiwi

Phuket is at about its lowest. Place to avoid now!

Thai teen boys who have never seen their fathers are not found only in Phuket...

True. But according to an article I just read in the Phuket Wan, officials conducted a raid at a Phuket college, 50% of the students tested positive for drugs. Possibly part of the problem with these gangs of kids going around mugging people at night...

Serious, name one country where it would be a great idea to leave a bar at 2:00 a.m in a crowded city and drive (weave) home on a scooter down side streets? Sure, those kids are pond scum but basic common sense dictates this was not a good idea on his part.

• Like 1

These cute little teen gangs are so funny.

Why they always attack older folks.

I have never seen them approaching a group of foreign guys.

I would like to wrap his machete around his tiny neck.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They'r all a bunch of cowards, if the odds of loose a fight are high, they always back out, five Thais to beat one old German bah.gif

15 plus years in Thailand of which 18months was spent in Phuket.

In that time, I had 3 attempted break ins, one break in while someone home, A guy murdered in my front yard (stabbed to death), Twice had youth's try to stop me on motorbike aggressively after dark. Victim of petty theft a few times, WIfe (western) wouldn't go out alone at all after sunset following 3 approaches, including Flashers masturbating at her, plus one attempted full on assault.

All but one of these events the "break in at home" happened in the 18 months in Phuket.

Maybe we where just unlucky, maybe Phuket has many issues that need sorting out? Regardless we moved on and all is good, I still have a business there and will return and enjoy my time there but not to live its simply to dodgy.

It's a shame I love phuket, it was for me just the right size, with plenty to do, and many nice places to hang out beaches etc.

The German guy looks like Hannibal Lecter`s brother.

Sorry, but he does look scary.

There appears to be many so=called unprovoked attacks on farangs in Pattaya and
Phuket recently.

At this point I am not going to make any assumptions.

As they say in the X Files: the truth is out there.

In the meantime, don`t have nightmares.

Why don't expats arm themselves at night?

I carry pepper spray everywhere and would take down a group of these kids and it's totally legal.

Defense is the best form of offense.

Until one of them shoot you with the gun that they may well have not used if you had not pepper sprayed them.

Often quoted "Defence is the best form of offence." is fine if you are trained for it..otherwise its just more keyboard tough guy tough talk BS !!

Using common sense is by far the best defence.....Posted Image 

Hard to shoot someone when you can't see.

I'll take my chances on offense because I'm not ending up like this guy.

Do you mean "not ending up" alive and able to tell (at least most of) his story? Maybe you take all those action movies you watch a little too seriously?

Well I'm guessing you're the sort of guy to curl up in a ball and let a few teens kick into him.

Too many spineless guys who won't even attempt to defend themselves.

Thai teen boys who have never seen their fathers are not found only in Phuket...

True. But according to an article I just read in the Phuket Wan, officials conducted a raid at a Phuket college, 50% of the students tested positive for drugs. Possibly part of the problem with these gangs of kids going around mugging people at night...

I have a problem believing the 50% tested positive as reported..possible but highly unlikely number...anyway it once again is a common problem worldwide..why are so many members talking about all things bad on Phuket as tho' it is only a Phuket problem?

Muliple threads running on TV from roadrage in general to streetpunks out of control at night, drugs use numbers up ,inconsiderate drivers, bad attitudes etc,etc.

Go onto any country's forums in the world from and i guarentee you will find very similar stories and frequently a hell of a lot more serious and frequent than here

Slightly amusing embarressing to see all the bigoted members come out at every opportunity on every likely thread to run off at the mouth about Thai people and the perceived problems here ..bah.gif

• Like 1

I have a problem believing the 50% tested positive as reported..possible but highly unlikely number...anyway it once again is a common problem worldwide..why are so many members talking about all things bad on Phuket as tho' it is only a Phuket problem?

Muliple threads running on TV from roadrage in general to streetpunks out of control at night, drugs use numbers up ,inconsiderate drivers, bad attitudes etc,etc.

Go onto any country's forums in the world from and i guarentee you will find very similar stories and frequently a hell of a lot more serious and frequent than here

Slightly amusing embarressing to see all the bigoted members come out at every opportunity on every likely thread to run off at the mouth about Thai people and the perceived problems here ..bah.gif

I defend Phuket more than most. I just stated what an article said that I had just read on the news source we can not link to or quote from. But by the numbers of articles on yah bah and ice busts here it has to be a pretty big problem...

Riding a scooter/motorcycle alone after sunset and before sunrise is something to avoid in most places on the planet. Add in the age factor, a few drinks and you are setting yourself up to fail. Get a decent used car, share with a friend or just ride during daylight hours.

I don't think the alcohol was the reason he go mugged. When in Phuket, I stay in Kata, and have a friend that has a restaurant in Nai Harn. It is known for years that the road that goes by the ocean, is dangerous by night, and expats confirmed it is to be avoided at night, as well as some places in Nai Harn.

Saying Phuket is worse then Pattaya and so on, will not help anything. All over the world, where tourists arrive, the place gets unsafer, because they are an easy target.

These gangs also have been operating between Patong and Karon, but there are too many witnesses there.

Touristic spot or not, this could be avoided, by regular patrols. Tourists bring enough money into the island, to at least make these places safe. And if you not like Phuket, then stay away from it. Yes,, it is not the paradise it was 30 years ago, but it stays a place to pass a good time, every beach its own atmosphere, shopping, and many styles of food to choose from.

• Like 1

Why don't expats arm themselves at night?

I carry pepper spray everywhere and would take down a group of these kids and it's totally legal.

Defense is the best form of offense.

Until one of them shoot you with the gun that they may well have not used if you had not pepper sprayed them.

Often quoted "Defence is the best form of offence." is fine if you are trained for it..otherwise its just more keyboard tough guy tough talk BS !!

Using common sense is by far the best defence.....coffee1.gif

You really are not showing common sense if you believe that....

EDIT..OK i'll give you "hard to" but still very possible......

Yes you are right! I've won most of my fights by 50 metres ;-)

He definitely does not look like the nicest one to have as neighbor, often something has happend before the main incident, lived on Phuket for a year almost twenty years ago, for a year, never had a problem. but the people over there have different understanding of humor and their attitudes are not the same like in the Isaan have to be taken with care. As I have been working in the security business, I can only say he lost his awareness or better said he was aware but did listen to the signs most victims who survived an assault will tell, "I have had that strange feeling etc. why are they not listening to their instincts, everyone should know in our times, the war starts after leaving your home everyday.

I fail to see what their understanding of humour has to do with this. These gangs are scum and many of them come from other parts of Thailand including Isan. This sort of attack is and has been a common tactic with the bike gangs on Phuket for many years and they prey on those lone riders using secondary roads.

A dear friend of my was attacked and killed just outside Rawi a few years back for his watch,cell phone and less than 1,000 Baht. Needless to say the Chalong police were less than useless. This country breeds a cancerous culture and most people do not fully understand the risks that are all to prevelant.

• Like 1

If the police were worried more aobut stopping crime than extorting money - then these teenagers could easily be apprehended.

As a side note,

"I think they go out looking for drunk old men to target." Perhaps drunk people should not be driving motorbyces, young or old, farang or thai.

"If the police were worried more aobut stopping crime than extorting money - then these teenagers could easily be apprehended."

Yes, and there would be no drug dealers anywhere in the world and the mafia would be consigned to history and there would be no investment fraud and cancer would be cured and orphans would all be adopted and world peace would reign.

The solutions to all problems are so simple if only people would let me (or some other omniscient farang) rule the world. I've heard something similar from more than one Miss America contestant.

"I think they go out looking for drunk old men to target."

Hercule Poirot and Inspector Clouseau have nothing on you. Seriously, you should offer you investigative skills to the DSI.

post-145917-0-37093700-1376985440_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

He definitely does not look like the nicest one to have as neighbor, often something has happend before the main incident, lived on Phuket for a year almost twenty years ago, for a year, never had a problem. but the people over there have different understanding of humor and their attitudes are not the same like in the Isaan have to be taken with care. As I have been working in the security business, I can only say he lost his awareness or better said he was aware but did listen to the signs most victims who survived an assault will tell, "I have had that strange feeling etc. why are they not listening to their instincts, everyone should know in our times, the war starts after leaving your home everyday.

I fail to see what their understanding of humour has to do with this. These gangs are scum and many of them come from other parts of Thailand including Isan. This sort of attack is and has been a common tactic with the bike gangs on Phuket for many years and they prey on those lone riders using secondary roads.

A dear friend of my was attacked and killed just outside Rawi a few years back for his watch,cell phone and less than 1,000 Baht. Needless to say the Chalong police were less than useless. This country breeds a cancerous culture and most people do not fully understand the risks that are all to prevelant.

Yep, & not just foreigners, happened to my now Thai wife in 1995, exact same, pushed off her motorbike, attacked, stole her belongings & injured her in Chaloemprakiat Rd., Patong Beach. However locals saw the incident & managed to catch her attackers, they were imprisoned - 5 year sentance. To this day will not wear any jewellery and only a small amount of cash whilst driving at night.

Sorry for your friend...

Edited by simple1

@Jimi007......I defend Phuket more than most. I just stated what an article said that I had just read on the news source we can not link to or quote from. But by the numbers of articles on yah bah and ice busts here it has to be a pretty big problem...

Yes no doubt at all you defend Phuket as do I mostly and my reply ,apart from the school drugs article was not directed at you.. but as you well know, the facts and figures given in LOS news are not generally correct..high use for sure, but 50%?

Maybe out of a large school of 000's they picked 200 who looked "sus" and then found that 100 were indeed using something..so then the 50% is irrelevant overall....and another pertinent point..what drugs were they using? No mention of being hard drugs...maybe only gunja.

I stand by my opinion tho', that all of the problems making the news are not just local issues..its a worldwide occurrence.wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif

Do you mean "not ending up" alive and able to tell (at least most of) his story? Maybe you take all those action movies you watch a little too seriously?

Well I'm guessing you're the sort of guy to curl up in a ball and let a few teens kick into him.

Too many spineless guys who won't even attempt to defend themselves.

Actually, I own a Glock G26 .40 cal. (not in Thailand) and am more like this kind of guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwrgvqlc8DA

I don't plan to take on a fight I don't have some chance of winning unless it's clear I would not survive otherwise. Also, I have a policy against any attempt to enforce Thai laws (similar to their policy).

Curling into a ball could be an option, but I would prefer to run like hell and I doubt many Thai teens without a motorbike could keep up with me (for a block, anyway).

Yes, pepper spray may be an option, too. But what if it's not fully-effective and results in inciting them in to really doing the number on you?

I have two acquaintances in Bangkok (one a 18-year resident farang, the other a Thai) who carry semi-automatic pistols.

Edited by MaxYakov

When I had my business in Phuket I always had a lot of troble with the Germans. This does not mean that all Germans are bad. Most of my customers were old WW II types that hated Americans for what collectively we did to keep them from destroying the civilized world. Present world not included Germans and Russians have personalities a lot alike and they can piss someone off without out trying. Try to stay away from them you might be implicated and someone kicks the shit out of you.

The news from Phuket remains the same and people should regard their personal safety as extremely important. Motorcycle riders are prime targets for Thai gangs.

Phuket is a wonderful place and the government won't clean up the crime because they can't rid themselves of conflict of interest. It is time for the government to stop Phuket from being destroyed by local criminal who have an obligation to meet for Bangkok. I would like to spend more time at my house in Rawai but I fear that I am not safe. When I first moved to Phuket in 1996 it was the greatest and can be again but not as long as the criminals want to keep it the way it is.

When I had my business in Phuket I always had a lot of troble with the Germans. This does not mean that all Germans are bad. Most of my customers were old WW II types that hated Americans for what collectively we did to keep them from destroying the civilized world.

Laughter.gif

When I had my business in Phuket I always had a lot of troble with the Germans. This does not mean that all Germans are bad. Most of my customers were old WW II types that hated Americans for what collectively we did to keep them from destroying the civilized world. Present world not included Germans and Russians have personalities a lot alike and they can piss someone off without out trying. Try to stay away from them you might be implicated and someone kicks the shit out of you.

The news from Phuket remains the same and people should regard their personal safety as extremely important. Motorcycle riders are prime targets for Thai gangs.

Phuket is a wonderful place and the government won't clean up the crime because they can't rid themselves of conflict of interest. It is time for the government to stop Phuket from being destroyed by local criminal who have an obligation to meet for Bangkok. I would like to spend more time at my house in Rawai but I fear that I am not safe. When I first moved to Phuket in 1996 it was the greatest and can be again but not as long as the criminals want to keep it the way it is.

So you did not get along with Germans, can happen, but your conclusions puzzles me 'Most of my customers were old WW II types that hated Americans for what collectively we did to keep them from destroying the civilized world'. Or maybe I should say bothers me.

• Like 1

maybe it was your food you served them and had nothing to do with the war

• Like 1

Somehow all these types of stories involve alcohol and late night or early morning hours. This does not excuse the thugs but I do wonder why visitors seem to think they can do things safely here that would not be safe in their home countries.